Does anyone get back off after embarkation?

CruiseMomTX

Just wondering if anyone gets back off the ship to explore a little after embarkation and if so the process for getting back onboard. Thanks for any input!

The only place I know of where that happens regularly is in San Juan where sail away is 10 pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have done this a few times in Barcelona to hit the liquor/wine shop to "stock up". Getting back onboard, pretty much the same as reboarding after a port stop.

True enough, forgot about Barcelona.

Once i'm on board the only thing that matters is drink of the day in one hand and lunch in the other. Usually a Guys burger. We always fly in the morning before go to our hotel and then go exploring. get last minute things like 12 pack of Pepsi to carry on board. Next morning only thing on my mind is get to the cruise terminal and get on board so the fun can begin.

If you want to explore your departure port the better thing to do is find out what time your departure port allows you to drop off your checked luggage (do not enter the terminal), regardless of your chosen arrival appointment time. Have your carry-on down to a single backpack or messenger bag that's easy to handle while sightseeing and a solid plan on transport to where you want to go and how much time it takes to get there do whatever, and return to port in time to be checked-in and board.

Just wondering if anyone gets back off the ship to explore a little after embarkation and if so the process for getting back onboard. Thanks for any input!

At the average continental US ports this is difficult to do. Usually it's after 11:30am by the time you board, and cabins are not ready until 1:30pm or later for non-priority passenger (and in some ports to get your S&S card out of the mailbox) to drop off your carry-ons. That leaves very little time to get off the ship and be back on board for the 3/3:15pm muster call for the common 4pm sail away.

In fact many embarkation ports will not let you back inside the terminal building at less than 90 minutes prior to sail away, some ports even state on their website a 2 hour cut off before locking their doors.

We did this is San Juan due to the late departure, and that our hotel was about 15 min down the road. We didn't get to see the area near the port.

Other than that, I like to stay on the boat once I get there. I'm also not someone that needs to be on the boat as soon as possible. My hotel status generally lets me check out late, so I try to enjoy the relaxation there as much as possible, then head to the ship between 1-2. The first few hours on the ship are too hectic to enjoy.

Did once in New Orleans. Left some last minutes items I bought at Wal-Mart (sunscreen, aloe gel and extra deodorant) I was t going to pay an arm and leg and since I was in the parking garage,got off and back on in less than 30 minutes

San Juan and BCN. BCN because of what someone else said. The port of BCN duty free is after security so no rum runner police. ;)

The wonderful thing about sailing from Barcelona was being able to buy and carry on as much wine and hard liquor as we wanted. We also bought wine and liquor at the ports (Gibraltar and Ponta Delgada) and carried those onto the ship as well.

I think we needed detox after Vista Transatlantic. What a fun cruise!

Very easy to do when in San Juan. Especially when flying in, boarding, dropping luggage and going to the store for full size sunscreen and wine is a must. Walked right back on after as it was raining but we could have explored for quite a while if we had wanted.

The wonderful thing about sailing from Barcelona was being able to buy and carry on as much wine and hard liquor as we wanted. We also bought wine and liquor at the ports (Gibraltar and Ponta Delgada) and carried those onto the ship as well.

I think we needed detox after Vista Transatlantic. What a fun cruise!

Wow now this makes me wish we could sail from Barcelona, lol.

San Juan and BCN. BCN because of what someone else said. The port of BCN duty free is after security so no rum runner police. ;)

Sailed out of BCN about 4 years ago, went through port security walked past the liquor store and had to go through the ships security. Has this changed since then ? Cruising next month out of BCN on the Eclipse. Would be nice if we could take more than the 2 bottles of wine allowed per stateroom.

It seems easy to do in Galveston. If you arrive at the port at 11am, or so, drop your bags and you can walk to a few places around , like Starbucks and some eating places. Or you could get a taxi to the sea wall where there is a Walmart, Walgreens, and grocery stores, if needed. I agree it would be better to just drop luggage with the porters and not even check in until you are ready to board. All aboard time is 230 I believe , so that is plenty of time to be out and about. Yes San Juan is better, I really like the 10pm sailaway. We need to do that cruise again, it’s been a long time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was about to at Jacksonville a few years ago when I thought I left my prescription sunglasses in the car! It was 2pm when i discovered it, so I was going to have to run, but could have made it. Luckily, they fell out the book bag when i threw the bag on the bed and I found them.