Survey: Open or fixed dining /early or late seating

lenquixote66

Late fixed. We usually get off the ship on port days and prefer port intensive cruises. We've found that late dining gives us a chance without rushing to get back on the ship after a day in port, cleaned up, and relaxed for dinner. Our next cruise is all open and is port intensive but we figure we'll just go to dinner whenever we feel like it, most probably about the same time we'd go if we were on HAL and had late fixed.

For me, As You Wish equals late/fixed. It's always my preference.

Once, HAL took the liberty of switching me from my confirmed late/fixed to open seating, but I insisted they switch me back. They did.

And, for a couple of reasons, last summer I switched to open seating half-way through the Amsterdam Alaska cruise. I was happy with the way it worked, but not enough to want it every cruise.

It has been a seasons of our life thing for us. When we were younger it was always late seating...there was no open sitting in those days. As we aged we moved to early sitting. Now that open sitting has come about for most cruise lines, we prefer the flexibility of open sitting.

Open, more flexible and you don't get stuck with folks you just don't want to eat with every night. On short 7 day cruises this is not as important as long cruises where you simply meet more interesting people.

We have been in every category .

I always do Open Dining (and always eat dinner in either the Lido, Canaletto or PG)! Haven't had/experinced the pleasure/thrill of dining in the MDR for the past several cruises! :p And I miss it terribly! :rolleyes:

Open. We also do a mix of Lido dinner, MDR, Canalettos, and when available the Tamarind. We do make reservations for the MDR as neither of us want to chance a long wait. We are very happy with the way HAL's As You Wish dining works including how the open dining works.

We've done fairly equal numbers of early fixed and late fixed. Now we love open seating. At this stage of our lives, even on port intensive cruises, we are back at the ship early. Sad to say we just don't have the same stamina to wander the cities all day as we once did. We both like seeing the show after dinner. Gives our food time to digest as DH has GERD.

Archived