Survey: Open or fixed dining /early or late seating

lenquixote66

Early fixed is our preference. Late fixed would be a deal-breaker for us - just way too late to be eating! We also like having the same dining stewards every night.

Glad that people have different preferences because that gives us all a better chance of getting what we want. :D

On our most recent we had late fixed when the cruise started. Because of so many sailing days, we found that it just wasn't working for us, so switched to OPEN. Worked much better and we were always able to get waiter we wanted usually at a table for 2. So, best of both worlds. Might not work as well when we are on a cruise when the ship has more passengers, but with the reduced number on our last cruise Open was perfect.

We used to do late fixed but had a bad experience a number of years ago so decided to try open. We have stayed with open ever since, we like the flexibility plus have found you get to meet a lot more people.

Kir,

We have always been early fixed but we're going to try the open on our upcoming cruise in November. Since it's over Thanksgiving and we may have other family members coming also- we're concerned that if they book too late, open may not be available. Glad to know that some have actually been able to change from one to other option during the cruise.

Over the years and various cruiselines, we have tried most available options. We usually book Late Fixed, but have adjusted due to itineraries, travel companions, etc. Late is just a bit later than we usually eat at home and we enjoy lingering over dinner. When we have done Open Seating, we have tended to gravitate toward the later times. So ...

Fortunately, my wife is extremely adaptable, and I enjoy dining with her -:cool:- at any time. Ergo, end of problem. :)

Ray in NH -- for ONLY six more "Wake-Ups" :cool:

I'm an early fixed type myself, but I'm so glad that the open seating types also have their choice. We 'fixers' tend to like each other better and I expect that the 'openers' do too (the less gregarious and the more gregarious?).

To give us all the choice may have been the second best cruising idea anyone ever had after the school in Bandung.

that way we are not rushed to get ready for dinner and can relax with a few drinks before dressing and heading out. It fills the evening and we can enjoy the late show or not. We like having the same waiters and table each evening as they remember our likes. We usually book a table for 2 or 4 depending if we travel with anyone.

Early, fixed always, except one time when we were bumped due to a large group using early, fixed, and then forced into open seating. :(

Bill, this has nothing to do with cruising, I saw your signature...thanks for what you've done for our country..happy memorial day

I always do Open Dining (and always eat dinner in either the Lido, Canaletto or PG)! Haven't had/experinced the pleasure/thrill of dining in the MDR for the past several cruises! :p

Then you're not doing "open dining", which is in the MDR. You're doing the definitive As You Wish.

Until open seating came along we always had early fixed. Once we discovered open seating, we'll never go back to fixed. We don't feel like eating at the same time every night at home, why would we on a cruise ship?

If I want an Olive Garden experience, I will go to the Olive Garden. I expect something quite different on a cruise ship; same wait staff, same table mates each and every evening. If assigned dining times ever become a problem, we will dine in the Lido restaurant or one of the other alternative venues. Open seating; here, take a number and we will call you when a table is available; doesn't cut it for us!

If I want an Olive Garden experience, I will go to the Olive Garden. I expect something quite different on a cruise ship; same wait staff, same table mates each and every evening. If assigned dining times ever become a problem, we will dine in the Lido restaurant or one of the other alternative venues. Open seating; here, take a number and we will call you when a table is available; doesn't cut it for us!

hmm, Olive Garden? And how do you know that we don't request and get the same wait staff every night? It can be done you know, we've done it.

I'm happy for you that you like fixed dining, but please don't assume things about my experience. :)

Used to always request late fixed seating. Now we do open seating and would never want to do fixed again.

At home our main meal is lunch. Most times we like a light supper and really don't care to eat that much. About half the nights we eat in the PG or Caneletto, the the other half is soup and salad. The folks in the Lido for supper are regualars, so we still meet nice folks for conversation. Actually, the service in the Lido on the Maasdam was better than the MDR!!:o

Late fixed is too late for me, and early fixed is too early, but I prefer the same table with the same wait staff every night, so we do early fixed.

We do this as well (of course you know that, Carol...we shared a 4 top in January and again this year ;-) ). The "Main Seating" is just waaaayyyyy too late for us! Early is too early, but the better choice of the two for us.

On our October Veendam cruise, I believe we're signed up for Open Seating. I want the flexibility when we're in Bermuda.

We have done it all, and I still can't decide for the next cruise! There are pros and cons to each of them. I think it depends on what your needs are for that particular cruise. Also, our table size has fluctuated. I just can't say which is best!

We like fixed dining as we like having the same waiters. Knowing our preferences and getting to know them. and we tend to do Europe a lot so late seating fits in really well with long port days. and you can always switch;) we never have ;)

We always have opted for the late fixed dining. We like to get back from port, relax, shower and possibly have a pre dinner drink. We will eat a few times at the Pinnacle or other venue during a cruise at other times of the evening.

Word of experience here- we booked "anytime dining" as did our friends who were on the same cruise.

When we got our keycards I didn't even check out the bottom corner where it says "Dining" -- unfortunately they had changed us to a set table at 8pm. Our boarding passes reflected "anytime dining" when I printed them out.

We were able to get the Concierge to change it back to ATD but it was something I didn't particularly want to deal with when travleing with friends. It was only a 4 night cruise so we didn't want to end up not sharing time with them as they only reason they went was to be with us for our anniversary.

Again- when you get onboard, check your card. I have no idea why they changed it and didn't tell us.......

We choose Early or Late seating depending on port timing.

Alaska we choose late seating due to long port days

All others have been early, DH prefers to eat early

I have done both early seating and open dining and each had it's good points. I prefer fixed seating if I'm with family or friends because this is the one time of day we know we will be together, sharing our day.

This coming August I'm doing my first solo cruise. I have early seating but am seriously thinking of changing to any time. It will depend on the folks at the table, I think. But I love meeting different people at dinner and equally love having the same servers throughout the cruise.

Maureen

Archived