Curious..are u really into Elegant night?

Kato27

I wear it cause i don`t want to be the only one there without it, want to be a real cruiser like u guy`s!:D

I`m just asking if people could do without it, or if it`s something they reall enjoy:)

I have not worn a suit for elegant night for about 4 years now. I wear dockers, a long sleeve dress shirt, clean underwear, socks, and Sperry docksiders. There is no reason to dress any higher than that. And, I am not in only one.

I don't particularly love to dress up for dinner on cruise elegant evenings. I'm not sure if it's because I don't like being in dress clothes while eating (just gets kind of uncomfortable) or if it's because I wear dress clothes to work each day.

Either way, when I'm on vacation, getting dressy is one of the last things on my mind, but I do pack dress slacks and a dress shirt, and eat in the MDR at least one of the cruise elegant nights.

Edited by BTHodgeman

I like elegant night but not on carnival. I don't find it elegant at all....kakhis and a polo (which btw is not a dress shirt) is business casual and there is nothing "elegant" about it.

Do we dress up? Not any more since they started to relax the standard this far. DH will wear a dress shirt and slacks and I will wear a simple dress. We will save cocktail dress for Princess where it's appropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A lot has changed as far as the dress on elegant nights since the OP started this thread over 5 years ago.

Bill

Not anymore. Never enjoyed it and with what the airlines charge for bags I don't want the extra space taken up with dress clothes and dress shoes. Black slacks, sandals and a resort casual top every night. The top I wear to dinner one night gets worn with capris the next day for port.

DW and I like to dress up so she brings dresses and I bring a business suit for elegant night. This year we are celebrating our 25th anniversary and even though that date is a couple of months before our cruise we'll be celebrating onboard. I will bring my tux for this cruise so we can have some nice portraits done to commemorate the occasion and will get a large print made of one of them.

I just don't get it ... folks who sail CCL regularly have posted over and over again how lax the requirements are for the "formal night" which hasn't been "formal" for years.

There are those who take the "defiant" stand that they are NOT packing suits, ties, formals and dress shoes ..... and I'm not sure where the need for such adamant defiance comes from since none of those things are required by CCL. A dining room crowd from "formal night" on CCL would fit nicely into the crowd at a Red Lobster.:rolleyes:

I've only been on one cruise so far, but I enjoyed dressing up for elegant night. I'm looking forward to it on the next cruise too. There are 2 elegant nights on the next one and I'm not sure we'll dress up for both, but we're definitely doing it for the first night. I primarily work from home so my daily wear typically consists of t-shirts and shorts. It's nice to be able to dress up and look fancy for a change. :D

I plan to wear a sundress to dinner on the other nights. I enjoy looking nice. :)

I just don't get it ... folks who sail CCL regularly have posted over and over again how lax the requirements are for the "formal night" which hasn't been "formal" for years.

There are those who take the "defiant" stand that they are NOT packing suits, ties, formals and dress shoes ..... and I'm not sure where the need for such adamant defiance comes from since none of those things are required by CCL. A dining room crowd from "formal night" on CCL would fit nicely into the crowd at a Red Lobster.:rolleyes:

Hi

Yes. There is no formal/elegant anymore. Now it's, hope you at least took a shower, but for some even that's too much.

Don't forget this thread was resurrected from 5 years ago. :D

No. It requires more luggage. I would prefer hanging out in comfortable clothes. I wish they had different dining rooms with different dress codes, more like NCL, so that those that want to be super casual can be without going to the buffet.

Carnival does have a different dining room for those who want to lounge in their day wear....Its up on the Lido deck and has a wonderful view of the ocean :D

Like many others we don't take it as serious like we used to. Back in the early 90's when I first started cruising, it seemed like 99% of the ship really enjoyed the formal nights. Usually Capt. night was formal and everyone went to the cocktail party (Not sure they still do this) and really enjoyed it. But as time went on it just seemed less and less meaningful. So now-a-days we still dress nice, just not "suit and tie" nice

No. It requires more luggage. I would prefer hanging out in comfortable clothes. I wish they had different dining rooms with different dress codes, more like NCL, so that those that want to be super casual can be without going to the buffet.

the do have different dining its the hog feed on the lido for afternoon feed time dress like you want

We like to dress up. I "dress for dinner" every night with either a skirt or a dress. Then on the 2 "elegant" nights, I wear a nice cocktail dress. This is a notch down from what I used to do, which was bring 2 formal floor-length gowns. DH used to bring 2 different suits. Now he wears a dress shirt and tie and sometimes a sport coat.

I know everybody has the right to dress as they please, and we always fly, so we understand about baggage limits. Still, with a little effort, and IF you want to, you can pack for elegant nights without too much trouble. I try to limit the number of high-heeled shoes I bring by bringing dresses that will mostly go with black shoes. DH now brings slacks that will go with black dress shoes and leaves the brown dress shoes at home. I agree that men's shoes take up a lot of space and are usually heavy.

I personally miss the days of "formal" nights. It was fun. Society has gotten so much less formal in general, though. I agree with the sentiment about doing one more casual and one more formal dining room, but I'm not sure how they could do it logistically, especially with anytime dining now.

Anyway, if and when they do away completely with "elegant" nights, we'll probably look elsewhere. It's part of the fun and atmosphere that we really like. I work from home and never get dressed up for work (although I used to for years), so I enjoy dressing for dinner while on a cruise. It's one of the things that distinguishes it from just a beach vacation where everyone goes to dinner in shorts and flip-flops.

Nobody is asking anyone to dress like a queen going to the ball! Just don't come looking like you slept on a park bench. A nice pair of slacks and a dress you would wear if going to a restaurant at home that doesn't allow casual wear.