HAL alcohol policy

San Diego Ronni

I think that HAL is pretty mellow. They have never found the bottle that I stashed in my suitcase on each of my 26 cruises. While on the Zaandam I met a couple who were doing a back to back (it was over 20 days) and they had no trouble bringing on two cases of wine. While on a cruise I religiously use the bar facilities, more than once daily. I do my share to keep the bartenders busy. The booze that I transport is for an occasional drink in the cabin/verandah.

HAL is much more relaxed that Royal Caribbean and its family. So lets all drink to HAL!:)

I think that HAL is pretty mellow. They have never found the bottle that I stashed in my suitcase on each of my 26 cruises. While on the Zaandam I met a couple who were doing a back to back (it was over 20 days) and they had no trouble bringing on two cases of wine. While on a cruise I religiously use the bar facilities, more than once daily. I do my share to keep the bartenders busy. The booze that I transport is for an occasional drink in the cabin/verandah.

HAL is much more relaxed that Royal Caribbean and its family. So lets all drink to HAL!:)

I agree we should all drink to Hal ( although we do like RCcL also)

We usually bring a few bottles of wine on board with us, for the stateroom, or maybe something special to take to the Pinnacle, but we have also always purchased a wine package - and I was wondering if anyone had any opinion on the "Cellar Master Package". It looks quite interesting, and maybe a good deal? It includes 2 wine tastings and two dinners in the Pinnacle (don't know if that is each) as well as the 7 bottles of wine from the Navigator's list. I seem to remember the wine tastings were in the $30 range in the past. The Navigator's package on our cruise in April is $249, and the Cellar Master's is $323. I imagine we will get 25% off as we are 3-star mariners, and probably shouldn't book whatever we book until we are on the Eurodam (for the TA, so it's over 11 days). Am I correct? Help, please!

I agree we should all drink to Hal ( although we do like RCcL also)

Agree that RCL can be great. Best cruise that I ever took was on the Radiance. We were able to sneak some spirits in, in the checked luggage. Others we met got got by the alcohol ****s.:p

Could someone please refresh my memory: Can you pay the corkage fee with your Beverage Card? Or does it have to be paid with your S&S card? TIA. :)

The last time I cruised and paid a corkage fee, I could not use my beverage card - it was charged to my room card. That's just my experience.

I didn't think I saw an answer to your question so I wanted to make sure you got one.

If this is duplicated I apologize and thank you again for your help with my fireworks!

Could someone please refresh my memory: Can you pay the corkage fee with your Beverage Card? Or does it have to be paid with your S&S card? TIA. :)

On the cruise we just finished, we had no problems using the beverage card to pay the corkage fee. I think since there is longer a discount for the cards, you can use them for corkage fees and happy hour.

YMMV.

The last time I cruised and paid a corkage fee, I could not use my beverage card - it was charged to my room card. That's just my experience.

I didn't think I saw an answer to your question so I wanted to make sure you got one.

If this is duplicated I apologize and thank you again for your help with my fireworks!

On the cruise we just finished, we had no problems using the beverage card to pay the corkage fee. I think since there is longer a discount for the cards, you can use them for corkage fees and happy hour.

YMMV.

Thank you both. I guess I'll just have to wait and see when I get onboard. :)

I've taken a glass of wine from my room to the MDR to drink with dinner and never has an issue nor charged a corkage fee.

PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS....if enough people violate the rules then sooner or later they will simply not allow you to bring wine onboard. Would you walk into a fine dining restaurant in your home town with a glass of wine or beer that you bought down the street? Drink YOUR wine in YOUR room. If you want wine in the MDR then BUY it or bring your bottle and pay the corkage.

What's next...bring a cooler of beer to the bar?

YMMV.

This might explain it OVgirl - the beverage cards were still discounted on our cruise when I asked;)

PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS....if enough people violate the rules then sooner or later they will simply not allow you to bring wine onboard. Would you walk into a fine dining restaurant in your home town with a glass of wine or beer that you bought down the street? Drink YOUR wine in YOUR room. If you want wine in the MDR then BUY it or bring your bottle and pay the corkage.

What's next...bring a cooler of beer to the bar?

There are plenty of examples of districts in cities all over the world where you can travel from establishment to establishment carrying drinks. Similarly, given the current slow beverage service in the MDR aboard ship, it makes sense to get your drink in a bar and carry it to the MDR. If you happen to be saving glasses from yesterday's bar trips, then fill up your glass in your cabin and noone is the wiser. Of course, I'm sure you will be punished in the afterlife for grabbing a few dollars from the great benevolent Carnival Corp.

There are plenty of examples of districts in cities all over the world where you can travel from establishment to establishment carrying drinks. Similarly, given the current slow beverage service in the MDR aboard ship, it makes sense to get your drink in a bar and carry it to the MDR. If you happen to be saving glasses from yesterday's bar trips, then fill up your glass in your cabin and noone is the wiser. Of course, I'm sure you will be punished in the afterlife for grabbing a few dollars from the great benevolent Carnival Corp.

I agree to an extent but would offer that cruise lines, HAL for sure, monitor these boards so I'm not sure it's too smart to discuss ways to circumvent the system. A good result would be that HAL revisits it's beverage service in the MDR. It's slipped a lot from our days when drinks would be waiting for us when we walked into the MDR to almost virtually not being able to order one at all. A bad result would be that HAL decides to stop people from carrying any beverage into the MDR. Let's face it, the trend right now appears to be for cruise lines to find more revenue.

I have to say that the beverage service on our recent Eurodam cruise had improved significantly compared to previous years.

Peter, do you know if any extra staff is brought onboard during your charter cruises?

I don't know where they would be housed, but since your group is out and active for so many hours, I would expect the need for additional staff would be justified.

Peter, do you know if any extra staff is brought onboard during your charter cruises?

I don't know where they would be housed, but since your group is out and active for so many hours, I would expect the need for additional staff would be justified.

I don't know if they bring more beverage servers on-board for RSVP charters. I have heard of extra massage therapists but not extra waiters. :) I think they just work longer and harder - and love making lots of meny, apparently. One told me (on a Princess charter): "You people can drink! I have never worked so hard in my life, but I am making lots of money!"

I don't know if they bring more beverage servers on-board for RSVP charters. I have heard of extra massage therapists but not extra waiters. :) I think they just work longer and harder - and love making lots of meny, apparently. One told me (on a Princess charter): "You people can drink! I have never worked so hard in my life, but I am making lots of money!"

Thanks for sharing what you do know about it.

Was on Veendam (Buenos Aires - Ushuaia Santiago de Chili) and Statendam (Panama canal). No problem at all to take wine and or champagne on board. We only drink it in our cabin or course. At the restaurants we order the wine from HAL. You don't have to empty the bottle at your dinner. They will put your cabine number and next time you simply ask the bottle in question.

Now if you want other alcoholic drinks, they will be difficult if it is in your handluggage. They only way is putting it in your luggage before boarding.

and we have never been stopped for packing liquor along with wine. I gues HAL figures that their demographic is one thhat not only drink in cabin but also in the bars and spend a substantial amount on board. Some times they hold the shore purchases and other times not. Also if you do a B2B, they deliver your liquor to your cabin on the last sea day before the turn around. I think most HAL passengers have years of experience drinking on board and they don't worry about drunks or a little lost revenue as good will brings back past cruisers.

Archived