Dress Code for Pinnacle Grill

kiwi_girl

Just wondering.... We have booked the PG for the last nite of our Alaska cruise (sea day before disembarkation in Seward). I understand that the MDR dress code for that nite should be "casual". How should we dress for the PG? Will it be dressier?

I would recommend smart casual that night. I tend to start packing early and usually the fancier clothes get put in the early packing. They collect the suitcases that night. But then again, I tend to be someone who thinks ahead so I don't forget things. Have a great trip.

With packing everything up, the last night of the cruise tends to be a little more casual. However, we eat in the Pinnacle the last night and still dress a little nicer than we would for the MDR. Still plenty of time to get those clothes back in the suitcase before you put your suitcase out in the hall to be collected for the next morning.

While dh quite often wears a jacket to the PG on smart casual nights (not required), he would not wear it on the last night of the cruise as it would be packed. ;) I suspect most would be in the same boat and would be in smart casual on the last night;)

• 1 month later...
Just wondering.... We have booked the PG for the last nite of our Alaska cruise (sea day before disembarkation in Seward). I understand that the MDR dress code for that nite should be "casual". How should we dress for the PG? Will it be dressier?

While you don't have to dress like a formal night, I would still wear something on the nicer side. Something like a pretty blouse and black pants.

While you don't have to dress like a formal night, I would still wear something on the nicer side. Something like a pretty blouse and black pants.

The last couple of years we have noticed that the majority of the people eating in the Pinnacle on smart casual nights are not dressed up.

DH wears slacks with a polo or golf shirt.

I wear a skirt and blouse. I very rarely wear slacks to dinner on a ship.

On my recent Maasdam cruise, the Pinnacle Grill manager allowed a man wearing a Hawaiian shirt and another with no jacket to be seated on formal night. He said he didn't want any confrontation. I guess it's up to each ship whether a code will be enforced or not.

We always dine in Pinnacle Grill the last night.

Though DH usually wears a jacket to PG on smart casual nights during the cruise, on the last night he either wears a neat, starched long sleeve shirt or a polo. Like the others have mentioned, I have normally packed his jacket(s). Last night is a bit more relaxed lately IMO

On my recent Maasdam cruise, the Pinnacle Grill manager allowed a man wearing a Hawaiian shirt and another with no jacket to be seated on formal night. He said he didn't want any confrontation. I guess it's up to each ship whether a code will be enforced or not.

And to me, that is a problem.

Maybe you should have confronted the manager. :D

The Pinnacle Grill and the Main Dining Room have the same dress code.

"Smart casual" will be fine for the Pinnacle.

I've never seen any dress code enforced in the PG.

They always make it clear no shorts or tank tops allowed especially for the lunch crowd.

Why is what others choose to wear a problem? Why do some folks concern themselves with the business of others?

Because some of us choose a cruise line for many different reason that often include what is or is not allowed. A great example is smoking, some choose Celebrity because they have a restrictive smoking policy. They would be upset if they got on-board and people were smoking in the hallways. To me, part of the ambiance of a cruise relates to the tradition of formal night and the general adherence to dress codes. All passengers have access to the dress codes prior to boarding. In my opinion, if you don't want to follow the dress code, you should choose a line (such as NCL or Carnival) that allows for less formal dress on all nights. To me it detracts from the overall experience if someone is sitting at my table wearing shorts on formal nights (and it has happened before) when the rules say that is not allowed. I am fine if that same person chooses to go to Lido because I know that is within the policy.

Because some of us choose a cruise line for many different reason that often include what is or is not allowed. A great example is smoking, some choose Celebrity because they have a restrictive smoking policy. They would be upset if they got on-board and people were smoking in the hallways. To me, part of the ambiance of a cruise relates to the tradition of formal night and the general adherence to dress codes. All passengers have access to the dress codes prior to boarding. In my opinion, if you don't want to follow the dress code, you should choose a line (such as NCL or Carnival) that allows for less formal dress on all nights. To me it detracts from the overall experience if someone is sitting at my table wearing shorts on formal nights (and it has happened before) when the rules say that is not allowed. I am fine if that same person chooses to go to Lido because I know that is within the policy.

While I couldn't agree with you more, the sad fact is that there are a lot of disrespectful, self-serving, mentally challenged people in this world. I've only been home for 9 days from an extended vacation and have already encountered 2 instances of inappropriate attire. On my flight home in international business class, two very mature men were dressed in tank tops and flip flops. A couple of days later at an opera another mature person was adorned in a t-shirt, shorts, sneakers and a ball cap. It's regrettable that the "me" generation no longer has age limits.

A number of posters reply to comments like mine that I shouldn't be concerned with what other people are wearing or its none of my business. Well, first I would say that when I am part of a public setting in which a certain decorum is expected and that decorum is being ruined by less caring individuals, it is very much my business. More importantly, I think we would all see a degradation of the quality of life if we simply disregarded or didn't make an issue of lower standards of behavior.

If it is "smart casual" in the MDR it is that in the Pinnacle Grill!

Well said and exactly my feelings and thoughts.

By the same token, perhaps you should sail a line that does enforce the dress code. It works both ways:)

IMHO, HAL could really do themselves a big favor if they did a few very basic things

-drop that silly and unenforceable formal night rule that formal dress is requested in all public areas. It puts people 'off' and it makes no sense given the formal night dining alternatives.

-enforce dress code consistently in the MDR on formal evenings. Perhaps consider ending formal attire in Pinnacle on formal evenings.

-beef up the incredibly lacklustre and outdated entertainment program. Drag it from the 50's and 60's to perhaps the 70's (more would be better but the shock might be too much for some).

-update the smoking rules to eliminate smoking on verandas and all interior public areas. Increase exterior smoking areas for those that do smoke.

-encourage more cruisers to wear their bathrobes in the pool areas so that we could get some additional entertainment value from posters on this board.

Pinnacle is the most upscale restaurant on most HAL ships. Why would you want that restaurant downgraded to less formal on 'formal nights'? :confused: That restauarant, IMO, deserves more care in dressing than other venues including MDR.

Archived