Princess adds new tier - Medallion

icat2000

On the phone with Princess now and the rep (Ivy) says she has a bulletin stating it's to be launched April 15th, but that further details, including benefits associated with the new level, won't be available until April 15th... so they're pretty much as clueless as we are. :confused:

All of these posts piqued my curiosity so I checked my Cruise Personalizer for an upcoming May cruise. This will be my 4th cruise on Princess and prior to today, I had been gold. I, like others, am now seeing that my status is now "medallion". The only obvious change I see is my insurance is now Platinum even though I purchased the Standard insurance offer.

Before I get to the heart of this post, I want to say that the Medallion level gets me confused with the frequent flyer levels of Delta Airlines.

---

So it is starting to look like one of the perks for Medallion is the upgraded Princess insurance.

The following is just speculation. I have no facts to back this up...

I wonder if this is an enticement to get more people to purchase the Princess insurance earlier in their cruising avocation? There may be a cost-benefit crossover point there, especially when comparing the Princess package to those of outside vendors.

Or, they may have been seeing too many cruisers leaving Princess before they get to the Platinum level and this is a way to give them something in an attempt to better "set the hook".

I suspect the primary difference between Medallion and Platinum will be the Internet minutes.

It appears that Princess will be offering the Platinum insurance for the price of the regular insurance for those at the new level. The only reason I can see for Princess adding the new level is to give an incentive for people to buy Princess insurance instead of private insurance and to be able to sell more insurance. Otherwise the logical place to add a new level would be between Platinum and elite.

They already have these individuals hooked. No need to give them more incentives.

I have long believed that, if Princess does introduce a Super Elite level, it will be to maintain current Elite perks for the Super Elites, and start to chip away at perks for the Regular Elites, not as a way to introduce more benefits for their most loyal passengers.

I have long believed that, if Princess does introduce a Super Elite level, it will be to maintain current Elite perks for the Super Elites, and start to chip away at perks for the Regular Elites, not as a way to introduce more benefits for their most loyal passengers.

That is soooo pessimistic! Unfortunately, it certainly could be the case.

I personally think Elite level should start at 20 cruises not 15. Because of the double points for Suites and extra points for sailings over 12 nights it is possible to make Elite with 3-4 sailings.

There are no extra points for sailing overs 12 nights, except the days count towards award level, but they do on any cruise.

I personally think Elite level should start at 20 cruises not 15. Because of the double points for Suites and extra points for sailings over 12 nights it is possible to make Elite with 3-4 sailings.

Glad you don't work for Princess!

What is your reasoning for wanting to make it harder to reach Elite status?

What is your reasoning for wanting to make it harder to reach Elite status?

For most people who don't live on a coast near a port and who currently are still working, making Elite is still difficult to do. Hopefully they don't raise the level. 15 cruises is still quite a bit for those who can only cruise once a year.

Hi all

They answered my Facebook post about 40 min ago saying the same thing. More info to be announced soon.

I guess it depends on what their definition of soon is ;) I saw someone else post that it will be officially announced on 14th April.

Something is very strange. I just checked our cruise personalizer and my husband and I both have the same number of cruises. We are currently Gold. For our next cruise I am Medallion but he is still Gold. For the one after than I am gold and he is Medallion. for the next one i am medallion and he is Gold. So whatever the deal is the system is wacky.

It is possible that Princess may go to a 5 tier system like Carnival and Holland America:

Carnival VIFP Club

BLUE First sailing

RED 2nd sailing under 24 points

GOLD 25–74 Points

PLATINUM 75–199 Points

DIAMOND 200+ Points

Holland America

Star Mariner One completed cruise

2-Star Mariner 30 Cruise Day credits

3-Star Mariner 75 Cruise Day credits

4-Star Mariner 200 Cruise Day credits

5-Star Mariner 500 Cruise Day credits

It is possible that Princess may go to a 5 tier system like Carnival and Holland America:

Carnival VIFP Club

BLUE First sailing

RED 2nd sailing under 24 points

GOLD 25–74 Points

PLATINUM 75–199 Points

DIAMOND 200+ Points

Holland America

Star Mariner One completed cruise

2-Star Mariner 30 Cruise Day credits

3-Star Mariner 75 Cruise Day credits

4-Star Mariner 200 Cruise Day credits

5-Star Mariner 500 Cruise Day credits

I'm still waiting for a higher Elite level. When they had their first Elite Webinar they said they were working on it. Same thing with the second. It's been almost two years. Nada. I wouldn't want them to change what is currently in place, but I do think those of us who travel very often and have beaucoup days, should get some sort of bone thrown at us. Self serving? Yup! :D

On the phone with Princess now and the rep (Ivy) says she has a bulletin stating it's to be launched April 15th, but that further details, including benefits associated with the new level, won't be available until April 15th... so they're pretty much as clueless as we are. :confused:

Interesting.. thank you for digging a bit further. We sail on the 16th upon our 3rd cruise. I wonder if we automatically flip to Medallion that morning? :rolleyes:

Interesting.. thank you for digging a bit further. We sail on the 16th upon our 3rd cruise. I wonder if we automatically flip to Medallion that morning? :rolleyes:

It may occur "after the 3rd cruise".

Nope, you would get a "Medallion" colored ID card at the completion of your 3rd cruise. I'm guessing it's a kind of bronze or brown...

Which makes me wonder, if under the new plan, one gets "Blue status" at the completion of one cruise, what color will first-time cruisers' cards be?

I'm still waiting for a higher Elite level. When they had their first Elite Webinar they said they were working on it. Same thing with the second. It's been almost two years. Nada. I wouldn't want them to change what is currently in place, but I do think those of us who travel very often and have beaucoup days, should get some sort of bone thrown at us. Self serving? Yup! :D

I am willing to accept a bone or two

Even from someone who will never attain those beaucoup number of days I think a higher level for those with that many days should have another level. Attaining the top level after 150 days/15 cruises & getting the same benefits as those with well over 500+ days seems odd to me. Adding a few additional benefits for those such as you is a good idea...just as long as they don't take away benefits from anyone else. :p

It appears that the new Medallion level will only add a free upgrade to Platinum insurance but any bone thrown our way is greatly appreciated. :D

I understand from a marketing aspect that generating some passenger loyalty for newer passengers helps to increase sales. And while those with such lofty number of days may not need something else to continue to sail with Princess but it would be a small way to say thanks to those who have sailed years on Princess ships. ;)

Archived