Anybody Tip in Chops Grille?

We've eaten at Chops (and other specialty restaurants) over the years and have not left additional tips. Interesting side note, the service at Giovanni's Table on Allure this past summer not even up to MDR standards. (May have been an off night for the staff?)

I just bristle when someone states as a fact that it is a "small portion" when they really have no idea if it's a small portion, half, or whatever. Just clarifying .

Just as some of us "bristle" when someone states as a fact "the cover charge IS the tip" as a few like to do around here. None of us know how much goes to the waiter/waitress.

We all know not ALL of it goes to them though :)

We're looking to make dinner reservations for Chops Grille on the Enchantment in May. Since it will be our first experience in one of the specialty restaurants, can anybody with previous experience eating there tell me whether they tipped the waiter?

I'm fully aware that gratuities are included in the $30 pp fee, and I also know that we're not OBLIGATED to tip anything additional. I'm just curious to know what others have done.

No, never.

Although I am sure no one will believe me the tipping process was explained to me by a Chops manager. I can assure you that it is not 15% nor is it a large portion. The actual $$ amount per paid customer is rather small but the allocation sytem is a fair one. There is a bit more to it but I will not get into it.

We're looking to make dinner reservations for Chops Grille on the Enchantment in May. Since it will be our first experience in one of the specialty restaurants, can anybody with previous experience eating there tell me whether they tipped the waiter?

I'm fully aware that gratuities are included in the $30 pp fee, and I also know that we're not OBLIGATED to tip anything additional. I'm just curious to know what others have done.

Yes. We almost always give an extra $10 to $20 dollars depending upon the service.

If you guys are dining in the MDR and the service is exceptional every night, do you tip an additional $20 for each night you dine in there?

There have been times when we have. On RCCL ships we really love their $peciality restaurants and is where we normally have dinner.

LuLu

~~~~

A lot of people say they leave $10pp. I never leave that much extra. We are a party of 5 and I typically leave anywhere from $10-$30 depending on the restaurant and depending on the service.

I don't think it's necessary, but it's nice. If we are out having a good time I don't mind leaving some extra $$ in appreciation for services rendered. And I don't sit around figuring how many customers they have, and how much they might get from the service charge. I just know it's not the whole thing.

We usually tip $20-$40 for 2. I never feel obligated but the service is usually so good, and the sitting fee is so nominal ( a comparable dinner in NYC runs around $200 and we usually tip 20%) we are happy to be a little generous with the staff. And since we frequently eat there more than once, the service is usually even better the second time.

I approach the specialty restaurants just like I do the rest of the cruise, where I pre-pay basic gratuities. You do extra well, you get extra tip. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I have never left a Chops Grille where I didn't feel like I wanted to tip extra, over and above the $30 dollar seating fee. And I have tipped extra in the MDR many a time too.

Archived