There is Something Very Wrong and I Don't Know What it Is........

sail7seas

Thanks for the post...now I don't have to say anything:) I have been amazed at the wine issue....we love our wine...but hey next time we sail Hal..we'll suck it up and buy their wine...and perhaps not drink quite as much....but life is just way too short to be as miserable as some on this board.

I'm not trying to be smart but rather wanting the right context for your post. Did you mean act miserable or feel miserable? Two different meanings.

I'm not trying to be smart but rather wanting the right context for your post. Did you mean act miserable or feel miserable? Two different meanings.

I meant that so many posters are not happy about Hal...the wine policy...many different issues...I see it as people being unhappy with things as they are....nothing stays the same...to me it equates with being miserable...sorry my choice of words confused you...I should have followed my first instinct and not posted...but I really liked Seago2's post so I posted:):):)

I meant that so many posters are not happy about Hal...the wine policy...many different issues...I see it as people being unhappy with things as they are....nothing stays the same...to me it equates with being miserable...sorry my choice of words confused you...I should have followed my first instinct and not posted...but I really liked Seago2's post so I posted:):):)

I'm glad you did post and thank you for clarifying.

My HAL experience is a whopping two Vista ships long, so take what I say FWIW.

I have never had a bad cruise or even a marginal cruise. Every cruise is "the best cruise ever". I mean- I got off 12 days on MSC "loving the service" so that shows my level of requirements ;). However, after I sailed 29 days in a calendar year in 2011 I stepped off the final cruise was was less than thrilled. It was because the thrill was gone- waayyyyy too many nights at sea for me. So I think that people posting here who have 500 nights at sea with HAL may be wondering where that ol' magic has gone- but how could it ever feel the way it used to? To me, HAL is the top of the top, better than Cunard, almost neck and neck with Princess, and I can't look back at my two cruises and think of a single thing wrong.

As regards CC, which we know is night and day from being on a cruise, let those without sin cast the first stone. Every HAL board regular has a responsibility not to inflame others. Please do not think that because you are just "expressing your opinion" and using complete sentences and genteel turns of phrase that you are not just as rude as a barely coherent drive by. I see many people on here absolutely fawning over a few of the queen bee regulars. When someone asks a question and someone with 50,000 posts answers it, it's not necessary to say "thank you, thank you, you've always been so helpful, you're so great!" because chances are that person is going to respond to every single thread on here within five minutes, anyway. It's nice to say thank you but the HAL board is now stratified into queen bees, sycophants, disgruntled HAL regulars who are touchy because they've been insulted for their points of view 100 times, common sense Canadians, friendly travel agents, and innocents who are soon to step out of line, ask the wrong question and then respond defensively. That is the dynamic of the HAL board.

quote]

The sad part is the queen bee regulars you know

"Oh (Fill in the Blank) You've Always Been The Voice Of Reason"

Run the boards:o

Don't think that way......go ahead and post and say what is on your mind. Not everyone may agree with you, but that is okay!!:) We NC folks have thoughts and opinions too.........

The thing that really irks me is when someone returns from a trip and says something bad about the ship, service, food etc. they get jumped on by the same few who were not even on the ship. Its like saying something bad about a persons child, they go into defence and denial mode.

I don't think we're whiners....at least I hope not....but we're certainly in the general crowd that has become disenchanted with HAL. I'm not going to go through each and every thing that has turned us away from HAL other than to say it's actually not a specific aspect or event but the cumulative impact of a number of changes. I actually find it quite natural that our interests, expectations, and desires for our cruising experience have changed over the years. Because HAL no longer meets our needs doesn't mean HAL has turned into a horrible cruising experience.

I don't think we're whiners....at least I hope not....but we're certainly in the general crowd that has become disenchanted with HAL. I'm not going to go through each and every thing that has turned us away from HAL other than to say it's actually not a specific aspect or event but the cumulative impact of a number of changes. I actually find it quite natural that our interests, expectations, and desires for our cruising experience have changed over the years. Because HAL no longer meets our needs doesn't mean HAL has turned into a horrible cruising experience.

Well said:D

My HAL experience is a whopping two Vista ships long, so take what I say FWIW.

I have never had a bad cruise or even a marginal cruise. Every cruise is "the best cruise ever". I mean- I got off 12 days on MSC "loving the service" so that shows my level of requirements ;). However, after I sailed 29 days in a calendar year in 2011 I stepped off the final cruise was was less than thrilled. It was because the thrill was gone- waayyyyy too many nights at sea for me. So I think that people posting here who have 500 nights at sea with HAL may be wondering where that ol' magic has gone- but how could it ever feel the way it used to? To me, HAL is the top of the top, better than Cunard, almost neck and neck with Princess, and I can't look back at my two cruises and think of a single thing wrong.

As regards CC, which we know is night and day from being on a cruise, let those without sin cast the first stone. Every HAL board regular has a responsibility not to inflame others. Please do not think that because you are just "expressing your opinion" and using complete sentences and genteel turns of phrase that you are not just as rude as a barely coherent drive by. I see many people on here absolutely fawning over a few of the queen bee regulars. When someone asks a question and someone with 50,000 posts answers it, it's not necessary to say "thank you, thank you, you've always been so helpful, you're so great!" because chances are that person is going to respond to every single thread on here within five minutes, anyway. It's nice to say thank you but the HAL board is now stratified into queen bees, sycophants, disgruntled HAL regulars who are touchy because they've been insulted for their points of view 100 times, common sense Canadians, friendly travel agents, and innocents who are soon to step out of line, ask the wrong question and then respond defensively. That is the dynamic of the HAL board.

I don't know if I've ever been so happy that I gave up drinking 15 years ago. That the wine issue is such a lightning rod is amazing to me. I miss luggage tags, the leatherette travel portfolios, the good bags, good baked Alaska, full adagio strings- I remember these and it would be nice to have them back. But for God's sake- does it really matter?

Well- we would all do well to consider our answers very carefully for the next month or two and see if we can turn this ship around. And people- I know you know this, but ignore is the best function... If someone irritates you, put them on ignore. You won't have to confront them and bring everyone else down.

You raise many good points. Thank you.

Well put, Randy.

When we recognize something in our life that used to be ideal for us no longer is, we need the sense and the gumption to make the changes that will provide the experience we seek.

I always applaud people who know what they need to make them happy and they do what they need to do to reach that happiness. Beats sitting back and being miserable.

The thing that really irks me is when someone returns from a trip and says something bad about the ship, service, food etc. they get jumped on by the same few who were not even on the ship. Its like saying something bad about a persons child, they go into defence and denial mode.

Exaggeration and lack of precision set off some of the post-cruise report firestorms.

I was just going to suggest that. Sail, be our ambassador, please? If they don't listen to you, they won't listen to anyone!

Why would they listen to her when they don't listen to me and I am a President's Club member and personal friends of some of those at the top in Seattle, having a background of working as an officer onboard and in marketing and special projects ashore, and author of several books on maritime history.

For many many reasons we have left HAL's building. Changes made are all $$ related. That's all a public company in this era can care about.

Well put, Randy.

When we recognize something in our life that used to be ideal for us no longer is, we need the sense and the gumption to make the changes that will provide the experience we seek.

I always applaud people who know what they need to make them happy and they do what they need to do to reach that happiness. Beats sitting back and being miserable.

CORRECT! You win the white carnation. From 6 to 9 months a year in HAL ships we don't even bother to take a cab from waikiki to Aloha Tower during our winters in Honolulu. We gave up cruise ships for Hawaii and we're glad we did. Know what we miss least? The passengers...

The most negative aspect of this board in recent years is when a poster protests or reports something not up to par, it's called "whining" - the word alone is offensive to me.

ABSOLUTELY!!!

I have been on various message boards in the last 20 years or so, and periodically someone will post and complain about all the negativity.

It's the same way in the "real" news business! Why aren't there more happy things in the paper??

Somehow I can't imagine a board full of threads about "I had the perfect cruise" and "I love the towel animals" and "everyone dressed the nines on my cruise."

:)

CORRECT! You win the white carnation. From 6 to 9 months a year in HAL ships we don't even bother to take a cab from waikiki to Aloha Tower during our winters in Honolulu. We gave up cruise ships for Hawaii and we're glad we did. Know what we miss least? The passengers...

Why would they listen to her when they don't listen to me and I am a President's Club member and personal friends of some of those at the top in Seattle, having a background of working as an officer onboard and in marketing and special projects ashore, and author of several books on maritime history.

For many many reasons we have left HAL's building. Changes made are all $$ related. That's all a public company in this era can care about.

Willem,

That had to be a very hard choice for you to make. When there are dear friendships involved, it becomes a very different matter. The friendships may survive on some level but never in the same way.

The best is to remember the happiest times you spend aboard the 'dam' ships and treasure the things you saw, the people you met, the experiences you lived. Very few among us will ever have those opportunities.

Wishing you all the very best.....

First, I have no major loyalty status with any cruise line, but sailed recently on HAL. I was excited to sail on HAL because I thought I might experience a little bit of a classier and traditional cruise based on HAL's reputation. What I experienced was essentially the same overall mainstream cruise experience.

To be honest, my first impression was that the passengers were rather glum for the first day or two. Things brightened up a bit, but even the cruise director made fun of the passengers (he was pretty mediocre, himself). The lack of energy on the ship was pretty sad and this was not a stereotypical sailing as we had lots of people from all age groups. The floating nursing home stereotype was so untrue!

I just wanted to pass on my observation of loyalty status. I am NOT a diamond on RCL, but they really know how to treat their loyal customers with both little things and some major upgrades. I would feel valued and my cruise experience would be quite different than the one I had if I was in their shoes. BTW- the RCL TA I took was the best cruise experience I have had, even without the diamond status. Everything for EVERYONE was just a step above the mainstream lines like NCL, CL, HAL, etc.

I also have noticed a distinct slamming of NCL for anyone who is a big fan of traditional cruising. I wonder if they deep down blame NCL for starting the trend to casual and free style in cruising.

I think most people on the other boards are generally positive and helpful. I am sad for HAL loyalists because many of you have had such great experiences that sadly aren't continuing and those of us who try HAL just don't see what used to draw you to be big fans.

I will give you an example of why many are unhappy. We just got off the phone with one or our TAs (in the past hour) fighting to get an upgrade, decent upsell, and/or OBC because HA dropped the price on our upcoming Veendam cruise a few days after final payment (we all know this is the norm in the industry). My TA, who represents a very high volume agency, was able to get us a slight upgrade (just outside to outside....but better location) which is fine. But then we start talking with the TA about HA and she tells us a story of an incensed customer who recently completed his third World Cruise on HA. A few days before the end of his cruise (over 100 days) he went to Guest Relations to ask them for help in printing out his airline boarding passes. This man is quite old and does not normally use the internet. The Guest Relations manager simply told him he would have to go to the computer room and purchase internet time. Guest Relations suggested that he would be able to get help from the Computer expert (who is not even a HA employee). Needless to say, this guy was not happy. He had just spent over $60,000 on his third world cruise they would not even give him a small favor (Guest Relations could have easily printed-out his boarding pass). At any rate, our TA said this guy called her yesterday and told her to book him on the Cunard for their World Cruise. HA apparently lost a good customer.....over a few internet minutes.

So the message to my post is that its sometimes the small things that count the most. HA used to excel at providing those small extras that added so much to a cruise. But now it seems like they have lost that special edge. It is indeed sad.

Hank

<snip>

So the message to my post is that its sometimes the small things that count the most. HA used to excel at providing those small extras that added so much to a cruise. But now it seems like they have lost that special edge. It is indeed sad.

Hank

Well said Hlitner......and very true.

For those who are on Facebook (please, no need to respond with how you would never give out that much information on the internet, have no desire, etc) there are some fantastic groups dedicated to ocean liner history. I spent half an hour this morning reading a great piece on the history of Aquitania. One group is Lovers of the Ocean Liners and one is Liners of the World (the latter also dedicated to cruise ships). Those are nice places to spend time and discuss ships.

I often wonder whether what we consider "one hit wonders", who post a review that dares to have negatives in it, google a cruising review site, come here, and think it's like Trip Advisor or something. Little do they know that they are about to get trounced by people who take things personally on behalf of the cruise lines. Someone on here posted a review calling an 80,000 ton ship her "little baby girl" or something like that. Honestly that blew me away.

First, I have no major loyalty status with any cruise line, but sailed recently on HAL. I was excited to sail on HAL because I thought I might experience a little bit of a classier and traditional cruise based on HAL's reputation. What I experienced was essentially the same overall mainstream cruise experience.

To be honest, my first impression was that the passengers were rather glum for the first day or two. Things brightened up a bit, but even the cruise director made fun of the passengers (he was pretty mediocre, himself). The lack of energy on the ship was pretty sad and this was not a stereotypical sailing as we had lots of people from all age groups. The floating nursing home stereotype was so untrue!

I just wanted to pass on my observation of loyalty status. I am NOT a diamond on RCL, but they really know how to treat their loyal customers with both little things and some major upgrades. I would feel valued and my cruise experience would be quite different than the one I had if I was in their shoes. BTW- the RCL TA I took was the best cruise experience I have had, even without the diamond status. Everything for EVERYONE was just a step above the mainstream lines like NCL, CL, HAL, etc.

I also have noticed a distinct slamming of NCL for anyone who is a big fan of traditional cruising. I wonder if they deep down blame NCL for starting the trend to casual and free style in cruising.

I think most people on the other boards are generally positive and helpful. I am sad for HAL loyalists because many of you have had such great experiences that sadly aren't continuing and those of us who try HAL just don't see what used to draw you to be big fans.

I share your opinion of RCI. Our cruises have been perfect, absolutely no negatives at all. However, I prefer the smaller ships not the behemoths such as Oasis and Allure, and unfortunately they left the west coast so we returned to HAL.

I will give you an example of why many are unhappy. We just got off the phone with one or our TAs (in the past hour) fighting to get an upgrade, decent upsell, and/or OBC because HA dropped the price on our upcoming Veendam cruise a few days after final payment (we all know this is the norm in the industry). My TA, who represents a very high volume agency, was able to get us a slight upgrade (just outside to outside....but better location) which is fine. But then we start talking with the TA about HA and she tells us a story of an incensed customer who recently completed his third World Cruise on HA. A few days before the end of his cruise (over 100 days) he went to Guest Relations to ask them for help in printing out his airline boarding passes. This man is quite old and does not normally use the internet. The Guest Relations manager simply told him he would have to go to the computer room and purchase internet time. Guest Relations suggested that he would be able to get help from the Computer expert (who is not even a HA employee). Needless to say, this guy was not happy. He had just spent over $60,000 on his third world cruise they would not even give him a small favor (Guest Relations could have easily printed-out his boarding pass). At any rate, our TA said this guy called her yesterday and told her to book him on the Cunard for their World Cruise. HA apparently lost a good customer.....over a few internet minutes.

Hank

I can really see that happening. I have always said that the front desk staff are pre programmed and if you give them some problem not in their playbook they really don't know what to do. I think individual initiative is discouraged.

Your story is a sad one because it made the difference between ending a world cruise on a high note and feeling like an undervalued customer.

Archived