Disney Changes: Will it affect Celebrity and other cruiseline policies?

C 2 C

Two new policies have been posted on Cruise Critic's News header:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/?src=nav

The smoking policy change was recently mislabeled on this thread under HAL's change.

The second will raise a number of new attire topics:

The line's second policy change removed shorts from its list of discouraged dining room attire.

Previously, shorts, along with swimwear and tank tops were considered unacceptable dining attire. Shorts may be worn in any of the ships' main dining room, including on formal nights. Shorts are not acceptable in the specialty restaurants

I hope that it encourages those who want to dress extremely informally to cruise Disney, and leave Celebrity to those who choose a more refined experience.

Disney, or some other line, might start to serve pizza and wings in the MDR, for instance and I would not expect Celebrity to follow

Can you still call it a formal night if they allow shorts?? Actually, 2 years ago on the Solstice a couple of gentlemen wore nice shorts with a sport coat...not too bad. But some people don't know the difference between nice shorts and workout clothes.

But some people don't know the difference between nice shorts and workout clothes.

And that's exactly right. You give some an inch and they'll take a yard, especially when you see some of the shorts the younger generation wears, that are SO tiny, it leaves very little to the imagination, not to mention attacks of the dreaded "camel toe" in those shorts.

Celebrity, PLEASE, don't join the severely dressed down cruise lines and keep your cruise line a step above the rest. We don't need every cruise line to look exactly the same as all the rest. Keep Celebrity as the line of choice for those of us who still want a more elegant experience.

Guess I'll have to check with Ralph Lauren to see if they make shorts to go with my tux :D

From an on-line blog...and funny, the caption notes that this photo was taken on a cruise ship !!

http://undertakingeverything.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/tuxedo-shorts-faux-pas.jpg

So, you are in luck...the shorts can be found !!

Woody

From an on-line blog...and funny, the caption notes that this photo was taken on a cruise ship !!

http://undertakingeverything.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/tuxedo-shorts-faux-pas.jpg

So, you are in luck...the shorts can be found !!

Woody

Oh my; was it a Bermuda cruise? That would be the only excuse for such an outfit!

It surprises me that an upscale line like Disney Cruies would make such a significant dent into a traditional dress code.....

Perhaps influenced by their ''land resort'' protocol....

Hopefully, other upscale lines , such as Celebrity, will resist the temptations and pressures to follow ''suit''( pun intended...):rolleyes:

Cheers

I will say when looking for some things for my son (8yo) I was awfully tempted to get him a little searsucker jacket and dress bermuda shorts that matched instead of bringing his little blue blazer and pants! I knew shorts would be questionable but I just thought he would look so cute and at 8 might get away with it. But then I decided if anyone should get new clothes it should be me!!

'Previously, shorts, along with swimwear and tank tops were considered unacceptable dining attire. Shorts may be worn in any of the ships' main dining room, including on formal nights. Shorts are not acceptable in the specialty restaurants'

Now explain that. LOL Shorts are OK on formal nights, but not in Specialty Restaurants? Normally, Specialty Restaurants don't require formal wear on formal nights. Stay tuned, more changes to come.

I hope they don't allow camels on-board. LOL

I will say when looking for some things for my son (8yo) I was awfully tempted to get him a little searsucker jacket and dress bermuda shorts that matched instead of bringing his little blue blazer and pants! I knew shorts would be questionable but I just thought he would look so cute and at 8 might get away with it. But then I decided if anyone should get new clothes it should be me!!

I have seen young gentlemen in short pants, a tie and jacket at dinner in the MDR .Very pleased with himself , he was. and so adorable.

I hope that it encourages those who want to dress extremely informally to cruise Disney, and leave Celebrity to those who choose a more refined experience.

Disney, or some other line, might start to serve pizza and wings in the MDR, for instance and I would not expect Celebrity to follow

What she said.....

Ditto!!

Is dressing-down similar to dumbing-down? As a teacher, I've seen the effect of the latter, and unfortunately it's not smarter kids. I would imagine the shorts will have the same effect on formal night---eventually many of the passengers will show up in cut-off jeans!

I pray X & HA keep their current dress codes. We like dressing to the nines & only do so on a cruise. Once, we didn't feel like dressing up, and we didn't want to spoil other passengers enjoyment of that special evening. So we ordered room service (from the dinner menu that night), ate in bed, and watched several movies. Very relaxing and just the thing we needed.

Archived