Mini-Suite Perks

FishOn55

If the sparkling wine is so disgusting as everyone thinks (heard this so many times), I'm sure they must have had many complaints and ughs. Curious why they continue with it, seems like such a waste of $ ?
Don't know how many actually complain, plus some people will drink anything with an alcohol content. You can even buy really sweet wine at a liquor store or supermarket so some people do like it or find it drinkable.

We are looking forward to our first mini in October. So looking forward to the extra space, balcony, and bathtub!

A question about the "champagne" - do they bring it to your stateroom? And is it poured from your individual small bottle? Just wondering about the method of receiving it as neither of us drink alcohol, and maybe we could request something in it's place. If not, no biggie, just thought someone here would know.

I was told by a Customer Service Representative that I could ask for sparkling apple juice instead. Unfortunately, every time I tried, they said "no". So I quite trying. The champagne is poured into a flute. (In a full suite, you will get the small bottle). The steward usually does this during the muster drill.

We had our first mini suite last January on the Sapphire. I think that the bed mattresses are an upgrade and I think the bath towels are upgraded too. Can someone else verify this? I remember that the mattress felt much better than our previous interior room bed on the Sapphire.

Since I've only had a minisuite once, my excitement overcame my standards. In fact, my excitement jumped my standards, dragged them into an alley, and beat the crap out of them.

OMG That was my Royal cruise last Jan.....was so excited Mr.QT booked a mini suite ...until I read what we got with a mini suite.....was warned about the headache in a glass..wasn't offered it so that was an Advil not taken.

Sofa and extra TV were nice except we never turned the extra TV on or sat on the sofa.

Loved the bathtub shower through...best extra :eek::rolleyes::cool:$300 USD ever spent.....(it was a flash sale he bought)

Next cruise we are back in a balcony upgrading to or a suite......:D

We had our first mini suite last January on the Sapphire. I think that the bed mattresses are an upgrade and I think the bath towels are upgraded too. Can someone else verify this? I remember that the mattress felt much better than our previous interior room bed on the Sapphire.

Not on our Royal Mini Suite. Mr.Qt loved the bed I am pretty sure I had brusies after a week of sleeping on the bed.

Here is a stateroom comparison chart:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCcQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.princess.com%2Fdownloads%2Fpdf%2Fships%2FStateroom%2520Amenities%2520Chart.pdf&ei=tBGpU87SCujNsQTDsYC4Aw&usg=AFQjCNFRfAYpp0B4iw2yg2QsMJ6d2atyQg&sig2=esNA5-i5bSS_FXJhcUUepg&bvm=bv.69620078,d.cWc

Now you tell me!!! The only reason I booked a mini suite was that I thought you got a girl. :D:D:D

Jazzbeau, you are responsible for bringing your own girl. Princess stopped supplying girls long ago when the men stopped behaving like gentlemen. Or, was it when the women in the mini-suites complained they didn't get boys?

Now with all that foolishness behind us, nobody has yet mentioned the benefit/privilege of paying a higher per-day auto-tip in the mini-suites.

Marie Antoinette glasses, or coupe, are fine with sweet sparkling wine and some of the sweeter champagnes and sparkling wines which were popular forty years ago, but a coupe should NEVER be used with current style of very dry (Brut) champagnes which should only be drunk out of flutes.

This is not a matter of fashion but of a genuine impact on the taste.

The larger surface area of the coupe allows champagne to lose its carbonation more quickly, which is not as problem with sweet wines, but definitely affects the taste of dry champagne which tastes wonderful when it is fresh, 'pétillant' and chilled, but awful if it is flat.

Fortunately here in France nobody would EVER think of serving champagne in anything other than a flute though it is still normally described on the bar menu and ordered as a 'coupe (de) champagne'

EDIT: Just realised - What is it that I have in my left hand in my profile photo? Looks to me like a glass of champagne in a flute :)

Edited by Corfe Mixture

Great chart. A "mini-suite" is a marketing term that really is a slightly bigger balcony cabin with a little lipstick applied. If you want space and pampering, a suite is it. It costs substantially more than a mini but then every luxury in life costs more.:cool:

Marie Antoinette glasses, or coupe, are fine with sweet sparkling wine and some of the sweeter champagnes and sparkling wines which were popular forty years ago, but a coupe should NEVER be used with current style of very dry (Brut) champagnes which should only be drunk out of flutes.

The larger surface area of the coupe allows champagne to lose its carbonation more quickly, which is not as problem with sweet wines, but definitely affects the taste of dry champagne which tastes wonderful when it is fresh, 'pétillant' and chilled, but awful if it is flat.

Fortunately here in France nobody would EVER think of serving champagne in anything other than a flute though it is still normally described on the bar menu and ordered as a 'coupe (de) champagne'

EDIT: Just realised - What is it that I have in my left hand in my profile photo? Looks to me like a glass of champagne in a flute :)

Thank you for your explanation. Now I have to eat my words. Princess are serving their sweet bubbly in a 'coupe' because it is appropriate to do so.

Of course apart from keeping the bubbles alive, I prefer flutes because you don't spill so much when you are dancing.:D

cheers

Stu

Very true, but the masses who don't really appreciate fine wines aren't going to let that stop them bringing coupes back into fashion if they think it will look trendy. :D

And if that does happen, companies like Riedel will reinvent a new version of the coupe that doesn't impact the taste ;)

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

The champagne is poured into a flute. (In a full suite, you will get the small bottle). The steward usually does this during the muster drill.

I have never seen a champagne in a flute on a Princess ship. It's always in those shallow glasses that almost look like sherbet glasses with a stem.

We got a flute once, one of those others once. I suspect with all the glasses needed at one time plus stock for all the bars, they need to be a bit creative.

I have never seen a champagne in a flute on a Princess ship. It's always in those shallow glasses that almost look like sherbet glasses with a stem.

If it is like the free champagne at the Captain's Welcome Party, then it will be fine with us. We have never had a bad champagne. But then again, we are probably not sophisticated enough to know the difference....at a wine-tasting we went to once (the $25 one), they had Dom Perignon, and to us it tasted like Korbel. :cool:

You can also use the champagne to mix with orange juice for a Mimosa and it really doesn't matter what kind of champagne you use for that. I love the really good stuff to drink alone but when you mix it, any is okay.

Thanks for this great chart!

Any idea what the nominal charge is for the mini bar?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My question as well since it isn't listed on the Princess Gifts and Services form.

Are there any on-board perks for booking a mini-suite (Cat. MF) on Royal Princess?

Perks???

From your post.,it seems that this may be your first Princess cruise.

The mini suites on Princess are similar to balcony cabins on other cruise lines.

The cabin will have extra room and storage, two TVs, a couch and a bathtub which makes the bathroom slightly larger.

As for shower gel , there is a dispenser in the shower for that and shampoo.

I would suggest you bring your own if you prefer a certain brand of shampoo and conditioner that leaves your hair manageable.

Perks on Princess are tied into the loyalty program.

The more you cruise with Princess, you will receive perks such as internet minutes,preferred boarding and complimentary laundry service.

When you book a full suite (Owners'Suite, Penthouse Suite) then you will be offered perks such as a full menu for room service, breakfast at Sabatinis and preferred tender boarding at the ports.

Enjoy your cruise!

Very nicely done, but there is no packing/unpacking service on Princess. Also, I don't think the mattresses and towels are any different from the other staterooms. The mattresses in suites are pillow top, and the towels are an upgrade.

Ah, the champagne coupe... the only glass that allows you to use a champagne swizzle stick.

Let me explain.

Late 19th and early 20th century Brits drank a great deal of sec or dem-sec (sweet or half-sweet) champagne. With it, they might use a champagne swizzle stick, which when opened resembled the arms of an upside down umbrella with no covering. A few quick twists of the wrist and those nasty bubbles were practically all gone, and many preferred their wine that way.

I collect coupes and use them for cocktails, as their three to four ounce size ia perfect for drinking Martinis or Brooklyns or Daiquiris or Sidecars or or or... because their small size means the drink will stay cold during the time it takes you to drink it.

Of course you need to have more than one, since they're so small, but they're so cold and delicious.... well, that's my preference and I'm sticking to it. A cocktail that gets warm holds little appeal to me.

My question as well since it isn't listed on the Princess Gifts and Services form.

We are Elite and get the mini bar set up. I did figure it out and the price of what we got came to about $60. Which is pretty close to the 2 coffee cards we got as a trade.

Late 19th and early 20th century Brits drank a great deal of sec or dem-sec (sweet or half-sweet) champagne. .

Oops, sorry, sec is 'dry' demi-sec is 'half dry'...... doux is sweet.

Wouldn't want anyone to order the wrong thing. :)

Brut is very dry (literally 'crude') and probably 90% of the champagne drunk in France is brut and, in terms of taste, those of you who say you are not wine connoisseurs, let me assure you that you will have no difficulty in coming to the conclusion FLAT brut champagne tastes horrible :eek:

Edited by Corfe Mixture

We've had the pillow top mattresses in Mini-Suites as well for the past two years. :)

LuLu

We stayed in a mini in April on the CB and the mattress was not pillow top, it was when we stayed in suite on the Ruby in Feb. I think there are still differences in mattresses across the fleet, and also there might be differences on the same ship as they rotate mattresses out of service.