Price drops???

mike x ftc

I've not cruised with Oceania before but looking to this year. Generally speaking, and I'm aware there are no hard and fast rules on this subject, but do Oceania discount cruises nearer the sailing time, or do they just simply sell out?? I don't want to miss the boat, so to speak, but I'm really flexible on time, destination and ship - I just want to try it at a reasonable price..

I've not cruised with Oceania before but looking to this year. Generally speaking, and I'm aware there are no hard and fast rules on this subject, but do Oceania discount cruises nearer the sailing time, or do they just simply sell out?? I don't want to miss the boat, so to speak, but I'm really flexible on time, destination and ship - I just want to try it at a reasonable price..

As others have said Oceania does not discount at the last min or closer to the date.

Example I booked out 14 months... Got Gratuities included, and a On board $$ bonus.

Today, 120 day prior to the cruise, the price has gone up by $600, no free anything, and no on board credit ... so roughly its costing $1000 more than 14 months ago.. and it is not sold out ! No cabin dumping.

For your top end lines, there are no last min sales. The sooner you book the cheaper and the better the selection....

They strive for a different group.

Sort of the difference between getting a suit at Geives Hawks and Marks and Sparks

As others have said Oceania does not discount at the last min or closer to the date.

Example I booked out 14 months... Got Gratuities included, and a On board $$ bonus.

Today, 120 day prior to the cruise, the price has gone up by $600, no free anything, and no on board credit ... so roughly its costing $1000 more than 14 months ago.. and it is not sold out ! No cabin dumping.

For your top end lines, there are no last min sales. The sooner you book the cheaper and the better the selection....

Sort of the difference between getting a suit at Geives Hawks and Marks and Sparks

I agree. Have never seen prices drop as we get close to our cruise. I like that we do not have to wait until the last hour to book. They protect us on the price and the extras. Keeps things honest. :):)

We had a different experience. We booked seven months in advance. Then for medical reasons, cancelled our February 2014 cruise just outside penalty period. Medical issue was resolved and 5 weeks later we rebooked the same cruise. Got an A2 slightly cheaper than our originally booked A4. I'm not saying this happens often, but it can happen.

We had a different experience. We booked seven months in advance. Then for medical reasons, cancelled our February 2014 cruise just outside penalty period. Medical issue was resolved and 5 weeks later we rebooked the same cruise. Got an A2 slightly cheaper than our originally booked A4. I'm not saying this happens often, but it can happen.

Agree

Slow selling cruise may get an additional discounts at around the 6-9 month mark. This year of you may have noticed Oceania added incentives with low cost air upgrades to business for some European cruises on the "O" ships that were selling slower.

Edited by PaulMCO

Below is what is stated on Oceania's website at the moment. If you look at their May, 2013 catalog, which was valid through August, 2013, you will NOT find the underlined perks (so if you can be very flexible and patient you may find some better offers such as this even this close in):

HONG KONG TO BEIJING | Pearls of the Orient

16 days onboard Nautica | Sail Date: February 22, 2014 | Fares from $5,999

Early Booking Savings of $3,000 plus $1,000 Shipboard Credit per stateroom, FREE Pre-Paid Gratuities & FREE Unlimited Internet Package

We have been offered some "carrots" to switch cruises. Longer cruise, better cabin for same price. The cruise we booked is a bucket list area for us and since we still work we're somewhat inflexible as to vacation timing, so we didn't bite. But, have to admit the offers were interesting.

That said, I don't expect to see any discounting on the cruise we've chosen. When deciding to go forward I compared it to what I thought the mass market lines would go down to for similar longer cruises after final payment, what I thought airfare would cost, and decided that Oceania was the best value (given the better product).

Edited by buggins0402

Thanks for your replies. I think i'm going to give myself an early Christmas present and go ahead and book!!

In this case time is money and the sooner the less expensive it is....There are only so many rooms at the inn.

For discounts.... go to those intimate 5000 passenger floating shopping malls where they have to dump to fill the ship... But their fare doesn't include even the tax or ports... for the "suckers at Sea"

Below is what is stated on Oceania's website at the moment. If you look at their May, 2013 catalog, which was valid through August, 2013, you will NOT find the underlined perks (so if you can be very flexible and patient you may find some better offers such as this even this close in):

HONG KONG TO BEIJING | Pearls of the Orient

16 days onboard Nautica | Sail Date: February 22, 2014 | Fares from $5,999

Early Booking Savings of $3,000 plus $1,000 Shipboard Credit per stateroom, FREE Pre-Paid Gratuities & FREE Unlimited Internet Package

We are sailing on this wonderful cruise and YES, the perks have gone up, but the price hasn't gone down. The SBC started at 0 and went $300, $500, $750 and now $1000 with free internet. Over the last several weeks, more people have signed up for this cruise. Perks do add up!! We too were offered the cruise just preceding this one, as a back to back, for just about half price. Too bad we've been to all those places last year!! Sometimes changes are good. Arlene;)

We are sailing on this wonderful cruise and YES, the perks have gone up, but the price hasn't gone down. The SBC started at 0 and went $300, $500, $750 and now $1000 with free internet. Over the last several weeks, more people have signed up for this cruise. Perks do add up!! We too were offered the cruise just preceding this one, as a back to back, for just about half price. Too bad we've been to all those places last year!! Sometimes changes are good. Arlene;)

This is or was after you paid in full correct. There can be some good deals after your a player with cash in the pot and on the table.

Unless your a player your not going to get into the game where the real rewards are...

This is or was after you paid in full correct. There can be some good deals after your a player with cash in the pot and on the table.

Unless your a player your not going to get into the game where the real rewards are...

The SBC was given to most of us who had NOT paid yet. I didn't and it was several weeks after this huge credit did we actually pay. I guess it depends on how full the ship is and how much they want to give to you. Arlene;)

We are sailing on this wonderful cruise and YES, the perks have gone up, but the price hasn't gone down. The SBC started at 0 and went $300, $500, $750 and now $1000 with free internet. ...

To me this is a kind of false economy. Yes, free internet would be a great perk. But what would I spend $1K in OBC's on? The spa? The one that I hardly ever go to because it's too expensive? Stuff in the shops that I wouldn't normally buy? Wine and liquor, yes, but not a thousand dollars.

But you'd already paid your deposit, I'm guessing.

I know that when we were bribed to leave the Alaska cruise in August '11, we'd already paid in full.

On another cruise, we were wait listed for a cabin and our TA advised posting the deposit to make sure they believed we were real.

On the Marina cruises -- BCN to BCN, Nov 10-20, and BCN-Rio, Nov 20-Dec 8 -- many people switched over from other cruises, or perhaps added one leg to an already booked cruise to make a B2B, and the lures were tempting. So that happens as well.

There are many things to consider ...

But booking in hopes of a cheap upgrade is something that perhaps is a waste of time.

Mura

To me this is a kind of false economy. Yes, free internet would be a great perk. But what would I spend $1K in OBC's on? The spa? The one that I hardly ever go to because it's too expensive? Stuff in the shops that I wouldn't normally buy? Wine and liquor, yes, but not a thousand dollars.

Do note the offer also includes pre-paid gratuities which, on the Hong Kong-Beijing cruise, would be $480 per stateroom or $704 for a suite. Nice perk. The internet package appears to be worth $352 for that cruise ("Always Connected Unlimited Cruise Package @ $21.99 x 16 days). Also nice perk. Add to that the $1,000 shipboard credit (How about one or two of your ship's best overpriced tours? A bottle of the best wine/champagne that maybe in the back of your mind you have always wanted to try but felt was too expensive? Try the spa too since you can use SBC for services you wouldn't treat yourself to otherwise. The fun, to us, of having shipboard credit is knowing we can try any and all of these things if we want to. You don't have to use it, but we wouldn't turn it down if offered. Whatever is left over you donate to the crew fund, which is always nice). It just makes an enjoyable time even more enjoyable.

Edited by Silver Sweethearts

Do note the offer also includes pre-paid gratuities which, on the Hong Kong-Beijing cruise, would be $480 per stateroom or $704 for a suite. Nice perk. The internet package appears to be worth $352 for that cruise ("Always Connected Unlimited Cruise Package @ $21.99 x 16 days). Also nice perk. Add to that the $1,000 shipboard credit (How about one or two of your ship's best overpriced tours? A bottle of the best wine/champagne that maybe in the back of your mind you have always wanted to try but felt was too expensive? Try the spa too since you can use SBC for services you wouldn't treat yourself to otherwise. The fun, to us, of having shipboard credit is knowing we can try any and all of these things if we want to. You don't have to use it, but we wouldn't turn it down if offered. Whatever is left over you donate to the crew fund, which is always nice). It just makes an enjoyable time even more enjoyable.

I doubt you can use a leftover OBC to tip the crew.

As for the perks, yes, obviously if you've paid your deposit and they suddenly add an internet package and gratuities that would be great. I was just making the point that being offered a sizeable OBC on its own would not induce me to book a cruise--I'd rather have a discount or those other perks.

As for the perks, yes, obviously if you've paid your deposit and they suddenly add an internet package and gratuities that would be great. I was just making the point that being offered a sizeable OBC on its own would not induce me to book a cruise--I'd rather have a discount or those other perks.

If you have paid a deposit and O adds an additional perk before or after final payment, would one still qualify for it if it wasn't originally listed at time of booking?

If you have paid a deposit and O adds an additional perk before or after final payment, would one still qualify for it if it wasn't originally listed at time of booking?

Only if the Cabin Cat you booked has openings

Went through this for our June cruise ...we got the extras my friend in a different Cat did not

Get your TA to check for you

Lyn