My experience with Noro

Natitude61

Amidst all the hoopla over the Norovirus, just thought I'd relate my own experience and RCI's reaction. I was on a recent cruise (not one of the epidemic ships) and, on the second to last full day came down with the symptoms mid-afternoon. Went down to the clinic right away, where they thanked me multiple times for coming. Filled out the CDC forms, got my medication, and was sent back up to my cabin for my quarantine. I was never charged for any medication or treatment.

While on quarantine (not fun, but really didn't want to leave my cabin anyway!), I was offered free movies, internet access, and open access to the minibar waters and sodas. Customer service called several times to check if I needed anything, and I was given a special number to call for a BRAT diet tray (not exactly the lobster they were serving that night, but again, the thought of anything more than dry toast made my stomach crawl). They also offered open access room service off the full menu to my DH.

Within 24 hours, I was feeling much better though still a bit dehydrated. Since I would be leaving the next am, they kept me on isolation til disembarkment. Upon waking up on my last morning, there was a letter outside my door offering me an OBC worth one night on my next cruise.

I should add that I do not think I contracted this on the ship, but rather at one of our ports. I am a fastidious hand washer (I'm an RN and know the importance), and no one else to my knowledge was sick on our ship. The day before I developed symptoms, I spent quite some time at a tasting shop in port, where I'm sure not all customers were as careful at using the tongs and not double dipping as they should have been. Did I know better? Yes. But the food tasting was SOOO good!

My point to all this? First, RCI treated me wonderfully, even though I held them in no way responsible. Second, if you do get sick on a ship, go to the clinic and fess up -- you're not going to feel like leaving your room anyway, and at least you'll get a few perks for your misery. Third, watch those food tastings!

The best part of all? This is the first cruise I've ever been on where I actually lost weight!

Safe and healthy sailing everyone!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

DH was not on quarantine, but he did limit his travels in case he was harboring it as well (and he felt bad leaving me in the cabin). It helped that we had an aft balcony and he had a fully loaded Kindle :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

My wife got sick on a Med. cruise and went to the clinic on ship. Told her she had Norovirus. Confined to her pom and gave her just about everything for free. Called to check on her, but i think it was to make sure she was in her room. When we got home, they sent both of us voucher for 988 dollars apiece. Problem was, after my wife laid on the bed for 3 hours, she got up and was fine. So I don't think it was Norovirus. Norovirus feels like you want to die. I think she got a little motion sickness on a bus ride up Amalfi Drive. The point is, if you are sick, once you go to the onboard clinic, they will confine you to your room for the duration as a safety precaution for them.

DH had noro the last part of a 14 night on a HAL cruise.

They didn't do anything for him except tell him to rest and drink lots of fluids and quarantined him and me too for 36 hours. Thank goodness we had a balcony cabin or I would have had big time cabin fever. :rolleyes:

Fortunately, I never got it. I was with him the entire time and got his body fluids on me. He sat on the toilet for several hours with a trash can to catch the other part. Naturally, the toilet wasn't working properly. I needed to be there to help him. I kept washed up in hot soapy water the best I could but was right there the entire time when it was really bad.

We were given an OBC for one night.

Not so sure if either of us would report it if we happen to get it again.

No one with noro would be able to leave the cabin anyway.

LuLu

~~~~

Thanks for sharing. I'm sorry you were sick, but I'm impressed with your upbeat attitude. I can't imagine feeling that sick on a ship. Had noro two years ago (picked up at school I work in) and my husband got it at the same time. We were miserable for 48 hours and then took a few days to get back our energy and the desire to eat. Hope you're feeling much better!

Johnkut -- they did tell me that once I was symptom-free for x number of hours (24-48, per paperwork they gave me), they would release me --that time corresponded with time of disembark, so it was a moot point.

The clinic gave me a Reglan injection along with 8 Imodium capsules...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

DH had noro the last part of a 14 night on a HAL cruise.

They didn't do anything for him except tell him to rest and drink lots of fluids and quarantined him and me too for 36 hours. Thank goodness we had a balcony cabin or I would have had big time cabin fever. :rolleyes:

Fortunately, I never got it. I was with him the entire time and got his body fluids on me. He sat on the toilet for several hours with a trash can to catch the other part. Naturally, the toilet wasn't working properly. I needed to be there to help him. I kept washed up in hot soapy water the best I could but was right there the entire time when it was really bad.

We were given an OBC for one night.

Not so sure if either of us would report it if we happen to get it again.

No one with noro would be able to leave the cabin anyway.

LuLu

~~~~

Let me guess and say your DH isn't excited about doing another cruise anytime soon after the story you just told? Even though the odds of getting Noro are slim it's seems to be more rampant than it was years ago.

Edited by need2cruisesoon

Thanks for the information. Always good to see that people will take the time to post good things that the cruise line does for us. All to often we only get to read when things might not have went the way one would like it to.

There is a new strain out, which is why it seems more rampant...people haven't built up an immunity to it yet through prior exposure

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Definition of rampant - (esp. of something unwelcome or unpleasant) flourishing or spreading unchecked.

synonyms: uncontrolled, unrestrained, unchecked, unbridled, widespread

I could only imagine what a more rampant version of Noro would feel like.

So good to hear the good side of the story.

My question is was your husband locked down as well?

Thanks

Raina

When I had Noro a couple of years ago on Liberty of the Seas, Hubby was quarantined with me. We heard that everyone in the cabin would be quarantined for two days. Perhaps that has changed.

Luckily, we had a balcony cabin. When I started to feel a little better but was still quarantined, being able to sit awhile on the balcony was a big boost to morale. The fresh air helped too. My heart goes out to families in inside cabins who are quarantined. That would have to be tough.