Celebrity Cruises to Debut 'Ship Within a Ship' Concept

LauraS

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.:D

Celebrity is a business. Business' copy what's been successful. That's why there are so many of those reality TV shows on the air. And why there so many smartphone makers and tablet makers out there.

If there is demand for a particular product of service out there in the cruise market place it's Celebrities job, to try to profit from that demand. So I say to Celebrity - go for it! Frankly, the little bit of lost real estate for the other passengers will hardly be noticeable.

Now, if Celebrity started jamming in 50 sq. ft. cabins in on the lower decks to increase profits, I might have an issue.;)

Interview with Michael Bayley titled " Putting a Price on Celebrity"

Not sure I understand all the marketing jargon however will have to see if we are still "worthy" of his Celebrity?

I think its great, this is great news for suite passengers. Honestly no one is taking anything away from anyone, michaels club is a small space and on the S class very under utlized. Everyone has the option of paying for a suite and accessing the corresponding amenities. It works that way on airlines and in hotels, why not on ships?

me too. :D

Don't count on any "free" perks for suite guests. I am personally very opposed to this "division" on classes (Hello, Titanic!!!!), but suite guests shouldn't jump up and down - there will be a price they need to pay for these perks. The cost of the suite cabins will be increased. There is nothing for free in this world - you have to pay for everything.

I have no problem with this AS LONG AS QUALITY DOES NOT GO DOWN FOR EVERYONE ELSE.

I'm actually more interested in trying a suite because of these changes. But I also hope that the quality of Blu and MDR will not suffer. Sometimes you feel like a suite (not yet for us), sometimes you don't. Our major motivation for booking AQ was Blu though, so an all suite dining room would be an inticement (Not an exclusivity thing - we like the smaller feel of Blu and the specialties). Also for ppl that always get the PALL having that automatically included is great!

BUT - Celebrity should make sure everyone has a great cruise. suite or no. He's hoping that will still be the case.

If we go in a suite it`s a sky suite. If the prices on upper suite are in line with luxury brands we would change lines. I would not pay top dollar to cruise with 2800 pax. We are loyal to X with the great prices and service, however they are not Crystal, Seabourn or Silver Seas.

If we go in a suite it`s a sky suite. If the prices on upper suite are in line with luxury brands we would change lines. I would not pay top dollar to cruise with 2800 pax. We are loyal to X with the great prices and service, however they are not Crystal, Seabourn or Silver Seas.

Those are my thoughts exactly.

Although I think the new perks sound nice, for the most part, they aren't anything that someone in a regular cabin couldn't buy. To me, the only good reason to book a top suite would be for the cabin itself. For what the cruise line charges for those cabins, the added perks really do sound appropriate to me.

The price is so high for the top suites on Celebrity, I have to wonder why those who can afford to sail in them do not choose a luxury line instead, other than the fact that on Celebrity, they may feel more special in comparison to the rest of the passengers. I think the exclusive areas for the suite passengers will help with that aspect.

Next year, we will be sailing on a luxury line for the first time, only because Celebrity and Azamara do not offer the itinerary we wanted. We are really so very happy with our Celebrity experiences, I don't anticipate being blown away by the luxury line, but time will tell. I think the small ship experience is the one thing that Celebrity cannot provide; one where the crew knows your name and you see the same passengers over and over. I am looking forward to that aspect of the luxury cruise and the exotic itinerary, but if Celebrity or Azamara had a similar itinerary, I would never have considered the luxury line.

The suites on Celebrity are truly beautiful (the M-class penthouses are amazing), and if won the lottery, I'd certainly give them a shot, but the regular balcony cabins or Aqua class are fine for me till then.

I have no problem with this AS LONG AS QUALITY DOES NOT GO DOWN FOR EVERYONE ELSE.

I'm actually more interested in trying a suite because of these changes. But I also hope that

Can't we say this has already happened for all cruise lines? Things that were once included (e.g., sodas and espresso) now carry an extra charge and many have complained that the food quality has diminished to the point that you have to pay for specialty dining to experience what was once included. That said, the suite perks on NCL were one of the reasons why I paid extra for a suite. Having a 2 year old at the time, the perks, including en suite dining including specialty restaurants, were a great benefit.

Although I think the new perks sound nice, for the most part, they aren't anything that someone in a regular cabin couldn't buy. To me, the only good reason to book a top suite would be for the cabin itself. For what the cruise line charges for those cabins, the added perks really do sound appropriate to me.

The price is so high for the top suites on Celebrity, I have to wonder why those who can afford to sail in them do not choose a luxury line instead, other than the fact that on Celebrity, they may feel more special in comparison to the rest of the passengers. I think the exclusive areas for the suite passengers will help with that aspect.

Next year, we will be sailing on a luxury line for the first time, only because Celebrity and Azamara do not offer the itinerary we wanted. We are really so very happy with our Celebrity experiences, I don't anticipate being blown away by the luxury line, but time will tell. I think the small ship experience is the one thing that Celebrity cannot provide; one where the crew knows your name and you see the same passengers over and over. I am looking forward to that aspect of the luxury cruise and the exotic itinerary, but if Celebrity or Azamara had a similar itinerary, I would never have considered the luxury line.

The suites on Celebrity are truly beautiful (the M-class penthouses are amazing), and if won the lottery, I'd certainly give them a shot, but the regular balcony cabins or Aqua class are fine for me till then.

Really? How about the larger ships offer more options. Better entertainment and dining options to start. Not everyone enjoys smaller ships which is what most of those lines offer in their fleet. This has nothing to do with making me feel better or more special than other guests on board.:rolleyes:

Edited by cruisingator2

I couldn't care less about the new perks for suite passengers, but I'm really disappointed that they are taking over Michael's Club on the M class ships. This was our favorite bar to frequent at night since they ruined the martini bar with that ridiculously noisy ice covered thing they have now. Michael's Club on the S class ships is always empty, but on the M class ships it always seems to be a great place to hang out especially when they have live entertainment.

As long Celebrity don't delude everyone else cruising experience and benefits to compensate for suite guests freebies - I don't care where they eat and drink for free..Well, not really free - suites are so expensive...

It is probably started with Aqua having a BLU and nobody else could dine there except the AQ guests- understandable that suite guests wanted something of their own.

As long Celebrity don't delude everyone else cruising experience and benefits to compensate for suite guests freebies - I don't care where they eat and drink for free..Well, not really free - suites are so expensive...

It is probably started with Aqua having a BLU and nobody else could dine there except the AQ guests- understandable that suite guests wanted something of their own.

I think it was kind of an uneasy thing with AQ having this fabulous (IMHO) restaurant, Blu, and suite guests were by default relegated to the MDR. Of course, they were welcome to dine in Blu based on availability originally with a small surcharge, but I always thought the whole thing just felt a little strange... I guess Celebrity brass agreed, and now suite guests have their own special dining concept.

I don't really think this will materially detract from the experience of other guests on board. Those of us who sail RCI are already used to most of these concepts (besides the special Suite dining room). Also I don't think it's a true "ship within a ship" concept like NCL or MSC... I think it's more similar to what RCI has, which is decidedly not a ship within a ship concept, than anything else.

I think it was kind of an uneasy thing with AQ having this fabulous (IMHO) restaurant, Blu, and suite guests were by default relegated to the MDR. Of course, they were welcome to dine in Blu based on availability originally with a small surcharge, but I always thought the whole thing just felt a little strange... I guess Celebrity brass agreed, and now suite guests have their own special dining concept.

I don't really think this will materially detract from the experience of other guests on board. Those of us who sail RCI are already used to most of these concepts (besides the special Suite dining room). Also I don't think it's a true "ship within a ship" concept like NCL or MSC... I think it's more similar to what RCI has, which is decidedly not a ship within a ship concept, than anything else.

Which begs the question: Will suite passengers still be allowed to dine in BLU?

It could be just the reality that Celebrity is facing with more and more on these upscale all inclusive cruise lines like Seaborne, Silverseas, Oceania and Crystal. For Celebrity to keep those "suite" passengers happy and not jumping ship (I'm sure those suites have heavy profit margins built in) they have to keep those high paying passengers happy with more perks. A The idea that no matter what type of accommodation you purchased from an inside up to the penthouse suite you have free rein of the entire ship. I'm sure Celebrity doesn't want to divide up their ships into a "class" system like the golden days of transatlantic lines in 30's & 40's but no one want to go on a cruise either and see a red velvet robe with a sign that says "suite passengers only." For many of us booking a suite is just a dream. I really don't need or want a suite. Sure, the extra space and amenities are nice, but that all it is is "extra."

Personally I prefer to go on 3 or 4 cruises in a standard balcony cabin than just once in a suite - that's our personal choice. To each his own!

But what really irks me a bit is the fact that for a small number of passengers that are able to pay top $$ for their priviledges we lowly others that occupy economy class ( from inside to balcony) or business class ( AQ and Sky Suites) cabins something valuable IS taken away: we will surely miss Michael's Lounge on the M-class ships in the evening because it's a grand place to be and listen to some musical entertainment. And we'll miss Bistro-on-Five which we would have liked to use more often if the offered menu there wasn't as restricted as we found it.

I wouldn't agree, either, to the comparison regarding flights - sitting in sardine class ( coach) isn't the best experience of my life but it lasts for a few hours and the money I have saved can go to things I really want to have - another cruise for example :D. I don't mind being relegated to a small part of a plane for a flight - but I do feel unhappy when being kept out of some of the choicest places on a ship where I spend weeks on end.

Celebrity probably turned up their noses at Norwegian when they did this with Epic .... and now they're copying them.

There is a lot of talk about how big a success the Epic is .Ha!:rolleyes: While I'm on my 5 day Connie, I could be on a 7 day Epic for hundreds less.

Currently you can get a Epic balcony for a March cruise for about 480 P P. I will not cruise NCL because I get the feeling you are either 1st class or steerage.

It seems ,based on these low prices, others agree with me.

People have commented on how Celebrity will be not be taking anything away from steerage. Another Ha!.

Perhaps not immediately but certainly down the road. At Universal Parks they now sell not one but two butt-in-line passes.

Does this take something away from the plebs ? Not according to some but YES according to me.

The more people get special privileges (even if they pay for them), the longer the rest will wait in line

whether for a ride at a amusement park or to get on the ship on Celebrity.

Edited by richstowe

I don't have a problem with this change and don't see how others feel this is a class system. I don't book suites and don't plan to in the future. I still have access to everything on the ship except Michael's club and whatever dining venue they have for the suite passengers.

This is no big deal to me. When I am on a ship, I have no idea who is booked in an inside, vs. balcony, suite etc. Nor do I care. We booked an AQ last cruise and have for our next because we like BLU, so that gives us a clue as to others in AQ, but again who cares.

I think some of you are over reacting to this news.

I don't have a problem with this change and don't see how others feel this is a class system. I don't book suites and don't plan to in the future. I still have access to everything on the ship except Michael's club and whatever dining venue they have for the suite passengers.

This is no big deal to me. When I am on a ship, I have no idea who is booked in an inside, vs. balcony, suite etc. Nor do I care. We booked an AQ last cruise and have for our next because we like BLU, so that gives us a clue as to others in AQ, but again who cares.

I think some of you are over reacting to this news.

I agree, over reacting by some who fear that they will lose something. I would venture to guess, that when completed because of the additional perks, the prices of these suites will go up. Was there the same complaining with Aqua Class was introduced and Blu was just for them? Because of Aqua and Blu what did the non-Aqua passenger lose?

Like you, I don't know what class of cabin someone is in, nor do I care. Other cruise lines have been very successful with this concept, so why shouldn't Celebrity do it.

I'm just amused that the acronym for "Ship Within A Ship" would be "SWAS". Around here, having "swas" is not a good thing. (Sweaty A**):rolleyes:

Just as long as you don't have to prove your status by wearing a SWAS sticker. [ooh ;)]

[ And we'll miss Bistro-on-Five which we would have liked to use more often if the offered menu there wasn't as restricted as we found it. - but I do feel unhappy when being kept out of some of the choicest places on a ship where I spend weeks on end

QUOTE]

I'll just smile and shake my head

[ And we'll miss Bistro-on-Five which we would have liked to use more often if the offered menu there wasn't as restricted as we found it. - but I do feel unhappy when being kept out of some of the choicest places on a ship where I spend weeks on end

QUOTE]

I'll just smile and shake my head

Quoted like that I can smile at myself, too, ;) - what I really meant was Michael's Club in particular if it should be closed in the evenings because we really love that place! I just wanted to point out that there is a difference between not having a part of a plane and its special perks for a few hours during my flight because I didn't pay for them and my expectation of being able to have access to most public spaces of the ship.I simply feel there is a difference, even if it's slight. To be honest, on our one and only NCL cruise we didn't even notice that there was an area just for suites on the ship. And as a shareholder, I love seeing my shares creeping up a notch again because of so many people paying for suites now and earning money for me, too. :rolleyes:

Well, and as Bistro on Five seems to stay open for the public I'll keep on hoping they'll improve the menu and then we'll really use it more often than just twice or three times a cruise...

I have to say that this news makes me sigh even though I have been in suites on Celebrity, Princess, and Holland America. I understand that there will always be some form of hierarchy wherever we go, and that in most cases we get what we pay for; however, I think one of the many problems with our world is a regression into tribalism. The kind of culture in which we only mix with, only go to school with, and now only travel and eat with what some refer to as "our own kind"--whatever that really means. Frankly, I think that those of us who choose to go the suite route have enough perks, but I know that I may be in the minority with that attitude. Ah, well . . .

We've been "loyal" to Celebrity since 1992 but if this keeps up I'd rather switch to Azamara or Crystal or Oceana.

Celebrity is pricing many of us out of the market so it looks like land-based vacations might be for us in the future.