Cruise Documents

dmacp

We received our documents yesterday for our upcoming Black Sea cruise (crossing fingers the situation in the Crimea doesn't worsen). Very nice brochure, and nice touches being personalized.

But in these days of identity theft, does it bother anyone that they mail these in Clear wrapper? I mean it is basically a public announcement that we are going on a cruise soon. If someone were to open that, they would know when we are going to be out of the country for a long period of time.

I would think a more secure means of mailing would be more appropriate.

Well the issue is that it does let people know that we are booked on a cruise (it states that) and clearly not a sales brochure. It is an invitation to take or open the packet and look at the information inside.

We booked directly with Oceania, so it was sent to us in clear plastic. I would have preferred a FedEx Tyvek type wrapper.

Well the issue is that it does let people know that we are booked on a cruise (it states that) and clearly not a sales brochure. It is an invitation to take or open the packet and look at the information inside.

We booked directly with Oceania, so it was sent to us in clear plastic. I would have preferred a FedEx Tyvek type wrapper.

Hardly a very serious matter to me but you can certainly ask them to mail it to you differently in the future.

By the way we just got three in the last few weeks and the all came directly from O in the clear envelops and we do use and love our TA.

What people? Your mailman??

Well anyone that steals mail. Your right it does come in a clear plastic, and it states your name, and "YOUR CRUISE VACATION GUIDE--OFFICIAL DOCUMENTS"

I agree, shouldn't be so in front of anyone - including your mail person.

Rick

Ours comes in the mail but I'm not worried about my mailman. We live in a rural area and have had the same carrier for the 3 + years we've lived here. He always knows when we're gone anyway because we have our mail held.:rolleyes:

Fortunately we trust our mail carrier.

Well anyone that steals mail. Your right it does come in a clear plastic, and it states your name, and "YOUR CRUISE VACATION GUIDE--OFFICIAL DOCUMENTS"

I agree, shouldn't be so in front of anyone - including your mail person.

Rick

I too agree, and so far as the U.S. Postal service is concerned, the proper terms are

1. Letter carrier for the one who delivers your mail directly to your mailbox (and often mis-directs it to your neighbors, especially when your regular letter carrier is out sick or on vacation)

and

2. Distribution clerk for the person who first "cases your mail" into a cubbyhole for the letter carrier to pick up, or in the case of P.O. Box holders, directly into your P.O. box.

There is far more mis-directed mail than you might realize, especially during vacation time and holidays. If you have "iffy" postal personnel or "questionable" neighbors, (and you may not know it if you do), there may be cause for concern.

They don't have to steal the mail in order to get access to the information. It only needs to be in their possession a short period of time.

Edited by Oceans&Rivers
spelling

I too agree, and so far as the U.S. Postal service is concerned, the proper terms are

1. Letter carrier for the one who delivers your mail directly to your mailbox (and often mis-directs it to your neighbors, especially when your regular letter carrier is out sick or on vacation)

and

2. Distribution clerk for the person who first "cases your mail" into a cubbyhole for the letter carrier to pick up, or in the case of P.O. Box holders, directly into your P.O. box.

There is far more mis-directed mail than you might realize, especially during vacation time and holidays. If you have "iffy" postal personnel or "questionable" neighbors, (and you may not know it if you do), there may be cause for concern.

They don't have to steal the mail in order to get access to the information. It only needs to be in their possession a short period of time.

I agree....only yesterday I returned from a 3 week trip so had a huge box of mail. I was tired, trying to get through my mail, and before I knew it, I had opened a notice from the IRS that really belonged to my neighbor. :eek: I very often get other people's mail and wonder who gets my mail!

I am surprised Oceania sends paper documents. I usually sail on HAL or Celebrity and they do electronic documents. I would really prefer not to get Paper....all my bills, broker statements, bank statements all come electronically.

I am sailing June 11 on the Riviera, but just booked before I left on my 3/10 land trip to South America. Haven't had much time to investigate all the in's and out's of Oceania. Will have to talk to my TA.

I am surprised Oceania sends paper documents. .

It is more like a brochure ..personalized for you & your cruise usually 4-6 wks out

luggage tags in the back ...no need to print those out like other cruise lines

They also email final Docs about 3 wks out

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

I agree....only yesterday I returned from a 3 week trip so had a huge box of mail. I was tired, trying to get through my mail, and before I knew it, I had opened a notice from the IRS that really belonged to my neighbor. :eek: I very often get other people's mail and wonder who gets my mail!

I am surprised Oceania sends paper documents. I usually sail on HAL or Celebrity and they do electronic documents. I would really prefer not to get Paper....all my bills, broker statements, bank statements all come electronically.

I am sailing June 11 on the Riviera, but just booked before I left on my 3/10 land trip to South America. Haven't had much time to investigate all the in's and out's of Oceania. Will have to talk to my TA.

The majority of the package is a ad for their shore trips. All you need are the luggage tags and the cruise summary which they asked us to show before we could get into the terminal in Miami. You can print out the cruise summary from the Internet on the Oceania site and if no luggage tags the porters have them.

My goodness, when I start worrying about this subject, I don't have enough else to worry about. I get a lot more information in the mail that I don't want in others hands than my cruise docs. I much prefer to get the very nice doc package from O, then to print off my own docs for Celebrity or most other lines.

Our docs for our May cruise on Marina arrived a week or so ago. I don't recall the packaging but it's never been a concern.

They DID used to come by Fedx, now I don't think they do.

But as I said, never a problem.

If you are concerned about the packaging, I suggest you contact Oceania ... not those of us who are also sailing.

Mura

My only concern, as I just posted on another thread about excessive Oceania mailings, is that I nearly threw out my cruise docs because I thought it was just another brochure. Good thing I looked a wee bit more closely at it as I was headed to the waste basket.....

I disagree, common sense tells you, you don't need everyone from Florida to your home knowing your going on vacation before you depart. Your name and address is displayed, telling anybody that can read that's here's vacation information about your trip. That mail goes thur a lot of hands, and everybody isn't honest. That's why you never have your address on your luggage tag's when you fly (just your name and phone number).

I think this is a marketing mistake on "O's" part.

Rick

... But in these days of identity theft, does it bother anyone that they mail these in Clear wrapper?

I would think a more secure means of mailing would be more appropriate.

But wouldn't it really raise curiosity and get tongues wagging if it came in a plain brown wrapper?

My postie likely knows more about me in general than anyone. However I don't post on FB and the like, upload no photos, don't enter contests, don't have 'loyalty' cards that want irrelevant personal info, but do post here occasionally ... Oops

Edited by YoHoHo

I am always amazed when so many jump to the defence of O.

I think the point was very valid irrespective of how many people can or cannot see it. We spend so long trying to protect our personal information on the Net yet something so simple like this is basically ignored.

The documents are rather lavish but can just as easily be sent in a plain envelope and the matter is solved.

QED

Brian

Well I am surprised some people don't see the issue here. Having been victim of identity theft, you learn how things happen.

I live in a rural area and I generally trust the people that are employed to handle our mail (the odd case that has been publicized notwithstanding). But there are many people cruising the roads going through mailboxes looking for opportunities. Even locked mailboxes offer little protection.

I hope those of you who see this as no big deal continue to have no issues. It isn't a pretty sight when it happens to you.

Well I am surprised some people don't see the issue here. Having been victim of identity theft, you learn how things happen.

I live in a rural area and I generally trust the people that are employed to handle our mail (the odd case that has been publicized notwithstanding). But there are many people cruising the roads going through mailboxes looking for opportunities. Even locked mailboxes offer little protection.

I hope those of you who see this as no big deal continue to have no issues. It isn't a pretty sight when it happens to you.

I certainly see the issue and have also been a victim of identity theft; but I don't let something like an envelope from a cruise company get me concerned. If I was concerned about it, I would also be concerned about other mail I receive and probably just use a PO box to protect my mail from non-post office people.