Who follows recommended boarding times?

Looked at my cruise documents and RCL actually makes recommendations on boarding times. This is my first time on RCL and I do not recall on any other cruise being given these recommendations. Anyway..we are on deck 2 and the recommendation is to arrive at the pier is 2pm. We will be on the Explorer from Cape Liberty. I do not have a great need to board the ship super early. This strikes me as super late. What will the crowds be like in the terminal at 2:00pm?

We will be happy to spend some time at Jersey Garden Mall and board late....just do not want to arrive to chaos.

Looked at my cruise documents and RCL actually makes recommendations on boarding times. This is my first time on RCL and I do not recall on any other cruise being given these recommendations. Anyway..we are on deck 2 and the recommendation is to arrive at the pier is 2pm. We will be on the Explorer from Cape Liberty. I do not have a great need to board the ship super early. This strikes me as super late. What will the crowds be like in the terminal at 2:00pm?

We will be happy to spend some time at Jersey Garden Mall and board late....just do not want to arrive to chaos.

We have cruised on EX 4 times and we always arrive by 11:30. In fact, we have never arrived after 11:30 for any cruise on RCI. Your deck has nothing to do with when to arrive. At 2, it probably won't be terribly crowded, but most people will already be onboard. They open staterooms at 1-1:30. We are always in a JS or GS on EX, but that doesn't really matter for arrival time. It can affect boarding time as they board suites before other cabins, but 2 pm is late to arrive IMO.

Because I took the Cruise Bus for the first time, I reached Bayonne around 2 last month. EASY check-in and boarding. I was happy to be able to go straight to my cabin with my carry-on.

I am lucky - I am waaaay past the need to "get my first day's worth" of cruise.

:)

By nature I am a pretty compliant person. So my natural inclination is to do as RCL suggests. I am not opposed to showing up 2. Personally the worst part of the cruise is waiting around for Muster drill and navigating through that first meal experience. So,if the crowds will not be too bad, I am thinking I could wait!

I've never sailed out of Cape Liberty, but Port Everglades or Port Canaveral is always quick. People are now showing up very early. If you are not in a hurry to board, then it seems anytime after noon the lines are generally short. At least that has been my experience in Florida.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Regarding Port Everglades: Usually arrive between 11 and 11:30 am and able to board easily. Maybe, 1 or 2 times, we have had delayed boarding

Because I took the Cruise Bus for the first time, I reached Bayonne around 2 last month. EASY check-in and boarding. I was happy to be able to go straight to my cabin with my carry-on.

I am lucky - I am waaaay past the need to "get my first day's worth" of cruise.

:)

Just curious - where near us is the pick up / drop off for that?

... Arrive late when everyone is onboard......1 - 1 1/2 before sailing...
US Government regulations require delivery of a completed Manifest 60 minutes prior to sailing. The cruise line may, and indeed often does, deny boarding if you are not checked in and on-board 90 minutes prior to sailing. Be at check in at least 2 hours prior to sailing to allow yourself a little cushion.

from http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/topTenFAQs/detail.do?pagename=top_10_faqs&pnav=4&snav=2&faqId=1166&faqSubjectName=Top+FAQ&

"Please note: All guests must be checked-in and onboard the ship no later than 90 minutes prior to the published sailing time or you will not be permitted to sail."

Thom

The problem with showing up early at Cape Liberty is there is one line of traffic for people picking up passengers from the previous sailing and those wanting to board the next one. You can sit in this line for a half hour or more before checking in, taking the shuttle to the ship and then navegating the chaotic WJ with your carryons where people tend to park until cabins are ready. After several times doing this, DH refuses to arrive before 12:30 or 1 by which time we can drop off our stuff and have lunch after everyone else has gone to their cabins.

I've always been early and always will be early. I want my vacation to start as soon as possible and don't want to lose a minute off the ship. My luggage is either waiting for me when I get to the cabin after lunch so I can unpack after a stroll around the ship and before muster drill. I'm not stressed or rushed. I don't mind the wait inside the terminal because that's part of the cruise experience. Nothing like being at the head of the line and sometimes being the first to board the ship.

We have cruised a lot on Explorer, and also take the cruise bus, so when we get there, we board the ship. We have no control over the time.

But when we go else where, our trip begns when the taxi picks us up at home, and it is over when we are on board the ship. Regardless of how many times we have done it, it is a relief to have it over.

Last time we boarded around 11:30 and had to fight crowds in the Windjammer and carry luggage everywhere. No thanks. This time we will board after 1pm.

We are counting the first and last day as travel days. Not that important to be "first on the ship". Personally I don't get it.

Last time we boarded around 11:30 and had to fight crowds in the Windjammer and carry luggage everywhere. No thanks. This time we will board after 1pm.

We are counting the first and last day as travel days. Not that important to be "first on the ship". Personally I don't get it.

Your plan works for you and many others and makes a lot of sense. But I am usually one of the first on the ship (thanks to showing up early and being Diamond Plus) and have no crowd to fight to get a window table in the Windjammer, get my lunch and start my vacation.:) So "I do get" boarding early.

Thom

We always show up early. Usually around 10:00 am and that puts as towards the front of the line. We enjoy the experience of getting there early and being around all the activity of passengers who are leaving as well as those of us getting ready to board. Also, getting onboard early allows us to get all the ship only pictures we want. To me, even a less than expected experience (crowded WJ? Big deal. I'm cruising! :D ) is still a good experience cruising. If nothing else it makes for a variety of stories and lessons learned (both good and bad).

Some people get over the fun of certain aspects of cruising and remove themselves from the equation. We enjoy all of it and make the most out of our cruising dollars.

Edited by lv2bcruzin

We usually fly in a day or two early, so we like to check out of the hotel and get to the ship as soon as possible. Personally I don't see the need to pay for breakfast at the hotel when I can just get on the ship between 11 and 11:30 and eat then!

Added bonus for our next cruise is that we are getting the Premium drink package so we can start drinking without paying any extra too!

I usually just bring a small bag with the stuff I want until our luggage is delivered so I don't find it a problem to carry that around until the rooms open up.

Thanks all for your comments and personal preferences. Like many I have always leaned towards early. I think this time I am going to live on the wild side and do a later boarding! Maybe not as late as suggested but late.

I was at one point considering a sprint to the excursion desk for a Cabana on Labadee but have since decided for only 2 people the price is too steep.

Guest maddycat

We arrive around 11:00. Only had a problem once with traffic backed up getting into the port at Cape Liberty. The Explorer arrived late from the previous cruise. Usually we drive right in, drop off our luggage, park and then proceed through security and into the terminal. We're usually on the ship by noon.

Edited by maddycat