Carnival Stock - onboard credit

you would get the $200 credit if each of you has a separate cabin. However, if you are sharing a cabin, on $100 OBC. It doesn't matter if you have 100 or 200 shares... it is by cabin.

So we would only need 100sh and we can put both names on the shares. Right? I only want to buy 100sh but want 100 obc.

So we would only need 100sh and we can put both names on the shares. Right? I only want to buy 100sh but want 100 obc.

Yes, you can have a joint account and only need 100 shares total

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 years later...

The OBC program for stockholders is a temporary one, and is normally renewed every year in July. In addition, the current guideline states that benefit is good for cruises through July 2018, but the cruise must be booked by February 2018. That means that you must book at least five months in advance, ensuring that you’ll pay a higher fare. Generally, lowest fares are available about three months before departure. Cruise lines always play these games, balancing fares and OBC’s. i.e. low fare - low credit, etc

The OBC program for stockholders is a temporary one, and is normally renewed every year in July.
The current expiration of July 2018 began with an extension of the program on Jan. 30, 2017 (18 months) when the 2016 Annual Report was signed by the CEO.
In addition, the current guideline states that benefit is good for cruises through July 2018, but the cruise must be booked by February 2018.
We can expect that the next report (2017) will be signed in January 2018 and will include an extension of the benefit until July 2019
That means that you must book at least five months in advance, ensuring that you’ll pay a higher fare.
Note that I can book a cruise today, sail next week, and receive the Benefit in full.
Generally, lowest fares are available about three months before departure. Cruise lines always play these games, balancing fares and OBC’s. i.e. low fare - low credit, etc
Long time shareholders know how this works.

The Benefit has been in place, in my own experience since at least 2003. It is not a game, it is a marketing tool and has no relationship to fares, other than the ones cited on the Benefits page, that are in place at the time of booking.

While it is no longer required, not long ago you could not apply for the benefit until after final payment and no later than two weeks before sail date.

This is nuts... are some of you really considering spending almost $7,000 ($66.79/share) to buy 100 shares of stock just to get a $50-100 OBC?

The carnival stock owners OBC can be used on any of the 10 cruise lines Carnival Corp owns. The OBC is $50/$100/$250 depending on the length of the cruise and can be used multiple times per year. The current dividend rate is 2.7% which is not bad ($180/year for 100 shares). Add to that the OBC one receives for cruises on any of the 10 cruise lines and the ROI goes up. Anyone who cruises several times a year on any of the 10 cruise lines and it is a good deal. I bought my 100 shares in early 2008 for $19/share so my ROI is way better. Current stock price is $66.79.

This is nuts... are some of you really considering spending almost $7,000 ($66.79/share) to buy 100 shares of stock just to get a $50-100 OBC?

I bought it at $38. You do not buy it just for OBC, it's been said many times on this thread. CCL is a very good investment. Of course the market is always volatile, and you can lose money. However, I will take my market investments over less than 1% interest.

We’ve also have had it for years! More than paid for itself. We purchased it through my hubby’s retirement IRA, so really no money out of pocket. Just used funds already in there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's what we did. Used money that was already in DH retirement IRA. We bought it in August and got the OBC for our September cruise.

• 5 months later...
The OBC program for stockholders is a temporary one, and is normally renewed every year in July. In addition, the current guideline states that benefit is good for cruises through July 2018, but the cruise must be booked by February 2018. That means that you must book at least five months in advance, ensuring that you’ll pay a higher fare. Generally, lowest fares are available about three months before departure. Cruise lines always play these games, balancing fares and OBC’s. i.e. low fare - low credit, etc

Here is the link:

http://www.carnivalcorp.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

The benefit has been extended for sailings through 7/31/19 but reservations must be made by 2/28/19.

If you cruise a couple of times a year and plan on cruising the next 20 years that could end up being $4,000 in tax free OBC. If the price of the stock goes up over that time that's an additional benefit (along with the dividends). Personally, I plan to die with my stock so I'll let the kids worry about what it's worth at that point.

Depending how often you cruise, it can be a huge value. The way I think about it is I pre-invested a bunch of money instead of paying that money on cruise extras.

And that is just a bonus. CCL stock has performed well, they have growth plans, and they pay dividends. Funny how many people in here will tell you how $800 in cheers is a good investment, but stock is not.

I have owned my stock for several years and bought it when it was close to $40 per share. It is a nice stock in my portfolio due to dividends and the OBC. I like owning stocks for companies that I find easy to support. I cruise a few times a year on Carnival and enjoy that little bit of OBC.

I have owned my stock for several years and bought it when it was close to $40 per share. It is a nice stock in my portfolio due to dividends and the OBC. I like owning stocks for companies that I find easy to support. I cruise a few times a year on Carnival and enjoy that little bit of OBC.

I bought my shares when they were $71.25 per share. Today it ended $62.93.

:o:loudcry::mad:

Wow. You bought it near it's all-time high. Always wait for a dip!

We got lucky and got in at $24 and change back in 09 after the economy tanked.

Wish I'd have bought a thousand shares instead of only a hundred!

Unless you have an accurate crystal ball, you have no idea what it's high will be.

Haha, you got that right ! Our joke is if you want to do well in the stock market, do the OPPOSITE of whatever we do. Buy high, sell low is not the best plan ?? ;);p

If you have no intentions of selling the stock it doesn't matter what the price is today. ;)

True, and no intentions of selling. The way I figure it, 8.5 cruises of onboard credit and I'll be back to even. So I just need to cruise more !!

In August of 2008, I bought 101 Carnival shares at $35.74/share an investment.of $3,610.75,. I have automatically invested all the dividends so my current holding of 125.919 shares is worth $8,031.22. I have taken approximately 80 Carnival cruises since then so probably have received in the neighborhood of $6,000 in OBC. Carnival has been very good to me.

In August of 2008, I bought 101 Carnival shares at $35.74/share an investment.of $3,610.75,. I have automatically invested all the dividends so my current holding of 125.919 shares is worth $8,031.22. I have taken approximately 80 Carnival cruises since then so probably have received in the neighborhood of $6,000 in OBC. Carnival has been very good to me.

Exactly, we purchased in 2003 at $24/share for a total of $2400. Since then we've gotten ~$2500 in dividends (some years it didn't pay a dividend), around $4000 in OBC and the value has more than doubled. The stock has been very good to us :)