Mexican Riviera - Celebrity's untapped market?

Leviathan2772

Hi Everyone,

Do I think there's a market for West coast sailings with creative itineraries ? Absolutely. For the Mexican Riviera ? Not so much. Last time Celebrity cruised a full season there, I recall the per diems being extremely low, and the sailings were on the Exciting Deals list most every week.

Coupled with the Mexican Riviera being a somewhat crowded market, and Celebrity having 1 less ship in their fleet, I think they will focus in more exotic destinations, such as Asia and Australia.

When Celebrity adds more ships, I believe that the west coast will be a part of the equation.

YES., YES, YES -we loved the 10/11 day Mexico cruises the Mercury used to do from San Diego - We also enjoyed the 15 Hawaiian cruises the Mercury and later the Century did.

Both are gone :(

We would love the Mexican Riviera. I thought it was dropped because cruiselines where not making enough profit. We also have great memories of the Mercury. I saw the Mein Schiff 2 (Mercury) in the Caribbean in March. She looked so nice. Then I saw her in March or April while I was in Madeira for 20 days. Richard

Hi Everyone,

Do I think there's a market for West coast sailings with creative itineraries ? Absolutely. For the Mexican Riviera ? Not so much. Last time Celebrity cruised a full season there, I recall the per diems being extremely low, and the sailings were on the Exciting Deals list most every week.

Coupled with the Mexican Riviera being a somewhat crowded market, and Celebrity having 1 less ship in their fleet, I think they will focus in more exotic destinations, such as Asia and Australia.

When Celebrity adds more ships, I believe that the west coast will be a part of the equation.

You are right Andy, Celebrity will only have nine ships after Century leaves (not counting Xpedition), a lot of people don't remember that, most of the cruise lines they speak of have twice as many ships.

We would love more Pacific Coastal/Mexican cruises. We've been/done Mexico, but it would be great to cruise without a 5 hour flight on each end.

And please, a Pacific Coast or Hawaiian cruise that doesn't include Canada. They have very strict laws regarding tourist with criminal backgrounds and they include DUI as a criminal background. Yes, I agree it's a crime, even a serious one but it would be nice if Celebrity recognized that not everyone can go to Canada.

Hi

Canada has a waiver(large fee) process for those w. criminal records. Waiver can be for 1 yr or more.

Tom

For what it's worth Royal Caribbean is doing a couple of West Coast cruises in 2015. We booked almost as soon as they came out and our particular cruise has been selling like gangbusters, despite almost weekly price increases. So there is definitely a market for them.

For what it's worth Royal Caribbean is doing a couple of West Coast cruises in 2015. We booked almost as soon as they came out and our particular cruise has been selling like gangbusters, despite almost weekly price increases. So there is definitely a market for them.

Thank you for this information as I seldom check other cruise lines. I would love to see west coast sailings. I love the one to San Francisco and Catalina Island. If it went to Mexico, I would be fine with that, although there would be places I would just stay on board the ship. But I like that, I always stay on board the ship in San Juan. That is my spa day. I would cruise much more if there were a California or Mexican route. I don't want to go to Canada.

If it went to Mexico, I would be fine with that, although there would be places I would just stay on board the ship. But I like that, I always stay on board the ship in San Juan. That is my spa day.

There's a money making idea for Celebrity. Cruise somewhere no one wants to go (Ensenada) and have lots of for fee events online.

Another Californian here who loves sailing up/down the US/Canadian West Coast.

Although demand and cruise lines are once again returning to the Mexican Riviera, I have my doubts Celebrity will return. I would think parent-company RCCL would return on a regular basis before =X=. JMHO.

Aside from Century's Pacific Coastal sailings this past month, Princess has taken the lead the past couple of years with sailings originating both from SF and LA. We've taken two of them in the past year alone, but would climb right back aboard again if =X= marketed similar sailings. Personally, I'll take Santa Barbara or San Diego any day over Puerto Vallerta and Cabo! And I have to disagree with RickT's opinion that these sailings don't appeal to West Coasters. Spending a week on a ship without having to fly is a great advantage. And from the two sailings we've been on this past year, the passenger mix was largely based on those living in California and the West Coast.

And I've always believed there's some sort of mentality/psychology that exists where folks living East of the Mississippi are far less inclined to travel to California/West Coast as we are to travel to the East Coast/Florida. Sure there are exceptions, but I'm talking in general terms. And that may explain why the majority of those on these few West Coast sailings are largely West Coast residents!

If =X= scheduled some Pacific Coastals and retained the San Diego to Hawaii route, I'd certainly commit and book the cruises. But I'm not holding my breath.......

I would cruise on X much more if they sailed from the west coast. Have done Alaska, Pacific Coast, and Hawaii several times each. Going to Florida takes us over 10 hours as no nonstop flights. We have cruised overseas the last 5 years and are growing tired of long flights. Bring back more cruises out of the West Coast Please. Have to go with Princess or HAL. Would rather have my Elite Plus benefits with X.

Oh...please, please, PLEASE!!!

I've been begging for this for years now...

Since Celebrity/Royal Caribbean largely abandoned this market, I've taken two Princess cruises and even a Carnival out here...

I get the whole Mexico scare of late...but Cabo and Puerto Vallarta have always been relatively safe and Princess has even added Mazatlan back onto their itineraries...And various cruise lines have extended to other ports including some in the Sea of Cortez...

As a Southern Californian, I can appreciate those "Pacific" or "California Coastals"...And I wouldn't mind jumping on a ship just for the sake of being on a ship...BUT...I live about halfway between the Port in San Pedro/Long Beach and the port of Santa Barbara...It's about an hour drive for me to embark on a ship...and it's about an hour drive for me to visit Santa Barbara...San Diego is only a three hour drive and I have family there and am there all the time anyway...Even San Francisco is just a 6 hour (or less if I drive fast) drive for me and, with a daughter and a brother there, I am there quite a bit anyway. Sort of hard for me to get too excited about a cruise that goes to a lot of places I drive to regularly...

BUT, I've always thought they could do this too: Station a ship here in LA year-round...Mix up the itineraries--do some California Coastals for you out of town folk, do some "standard" 7-night Mexican Rivieras, throw in some short 3 and 4 nighters to Baja, do some 14 night round trip Hawaiis, do some 10 and 11 nighters deeper down in Mexico or into the Sea of Cortez...and maybe do some longer one-ways to Peru or Chile--with the next cruise coming back in reverse...If they don't think they could sell a year round, repetitive Mexican Riviera cruise, they could mix it up with enough variety to offer something for everyone...

There are close to 40 million people in California alone...Add in almost 7 million in Arizona, 3 million in Nevada, 3 million in Utah, 4 million in Oregon, 7 million in Washington and 2 million in Idaho...That's 66 million people in seven Western states.

Many folks who have never cruised before will start out by taking a shorter cruise close to home...and, if they like it, they tend to stay with the cruise line they started with when they book their next cruise and their next cruise...Celebrity/Royal Caribbean has ceded all of these new potential cruisers to Carnival Corp.!! And the rest of us veteran cruisers who would clearly desire to cruise on Celebrity or Royal Caribbean--like me--find ourselves spending a good portion of our cruising dollars on the competition as well. Why? Because I don't have the time and/or budget to FLY clear across the continent or the world to take a cruise every time...Sometimes, I can only get away for a short time...and I want to have the luxury of driving directly to port on the day of the cruise...I can even get to San Diego or San Francisco quickly and cheaply...But Florida means flying in a day early, spending a night in a hotel...spending the better part of two days in airports and on planes and in shuttles and taxis, going through security and check-in lines, dealing with changes of planes and layovers in out-of-the-way airports, dealing with delays and lost baggage...and spending up to $2500 on airfare, hotels and transportation extra...

Love the idea of "mixing up" West Coast itineraries!! Agree with everything mentioned. We live 1 hr. east of LA, would prefer to give Celebrity our business rather than Princess or Carnival...and BTW...GO UCLA!!

As if we all need another cruise to the Caribbean, I know I'm pretty much "Caribbeaned Out". :p

I would really like to see Celebrity step it up and increase their presence on the West Coast. Bring us an "S Class" ship sailing to Hawaii Island and or back. Or have it also go to Costa Rica, San Salvador or Nicaragua and a few choice Mexican ports out of San Diego or Los Angeles.

Celebrity you bypassing 100 million people. :eek: :eek:

I have no idea why the entire west coast is under-served but I believe the prices are/were lower then east coast cruises.

Therefore the real question is why aren't those who want to cruise from California etc willing to pay up ?

Hi Everyone,

Perhaps they will just continue to add to the vast growth opportunities in Asia and Australia

with these hypothetical ships. ;)

It seems they are getting high fares with customers who like to spend big $'s on board over there.

Edited by richstowe

I would love to see more west coast itineraries! I wouldn't be all that excited for the same Mexico route over and over, but like the idea of mixing it up that Bruin Steve posted. We did a pacific coastal both last year and this year on X and would go again if we could. Instead we are booked on the Infiity Panama canal cruise that finishes in San Francisco since at least we only need to fly one direction.

My whole family has been very loyal to X, but for the first time this year we have discussed booking princess because they will be offering more choices that leave and or return to San Francisco or other California ports. I really hope X hasn't abandoned us forever.

I agree with bruin Steve and the other posters! A variety of cruises from LA, SD, or SF would be great. We took a pacific coastal last month and would love to do another or a R/T Hawaii on Celebrity.

Theresa

I know many are afraid of Mexico. I have been on cruise and land vacations in Cabo and PV many times. Never had any problems. People were wonderful. Just in Cabo last month and had a smashing time. Carnival, Princess and HAL are all still cruising to these ports with no problems.

We book two long cruises a year, and we have no desire to sail out of US ports - especially from the West Coast, which is where we live. I can understand West Coast cruises being popular for older people who don't want to travel far, but one Mexican Riviera cruise was more than enough for us. My understanding was that the people who booked those cruises out of LA or SD were mainly booking lower fares and not spending money onboard - cruise lines can't sustain themselves with those kinds of customers. I think the demand for Mexico cruises is relatively low now, and the demand has already been filled by the cruise lines currently sailing there. Celebrity has more lucrative destinations to focus on with their (comparatively) small fleet.

Michael

We would love to see Celebrity do a Round Trip from San Diego to American Samoa ,Tahiti & Hawaiian islands :D. Both Princess & Holland do this itinerary ;but much prefer to sail a Celebrity cruise ship for this 28 -30 day cruise & I bet the ship would be full;) :D

We would love to see Celebrity do a Round Trip from San Diego to American Samoa ,Tahiti & Hawaiian islands :D. Both Princess & Holland do this itinerary ;but much prefer to sail a Celebrity cruise ship for this 28 -30 day cruise & I bet the ship would be full;) :D

Me too. I've looked at those itineraries, but not sure I could handle a month on a HAL ship. Not really any idea what it would be like on Princess.

Me too. I've looked at those itineraries, but not sure I could handle a month on a HAL ship. Not really any idea what it would be like on Princess.

Celebrity would be best for us for all the perks we get being elite + . Princess would be our 2nd choice ;but ,trying to hold out for a X ship to do this itinerary .Heck X does Australia & New Zealand ,so why not do a R/T to Samoa ,Tahiti & Hawaii;):D . Aloha is calling again:D:D:D

We would definitely be on that cruise. We would love new itineraries from the West Coast.

Yeah, stay away from that. We have friends currently on a 29-day r/t San Diego-South Pacific on HAL and I think they're suffering from a bout of "buyers remorse".....:eek:

Yeah, stay away from that. We have friends currently on a 29-day r/t San Diego-South Pacific on HAL and I think they're suffering from a bout of "buyers remorse".....:eek:

We definitely had buyer's remorse on HAL. The Maasdam was falling apart - not an exaggeration. Leaks from the ceiling in the lobby, busted public toilets, sewer smells, stained towels in the bathrooms. Stay far away from them !

Michael

Unfortunately, RCL is moving the Century from Celebrity to their german company. I say unfortunately because a wonderful alternative would have been to refurbish that smaller ship and put it into service on more unusual routes..perhaps even sell it as "all inclusive" like the galapagos. Imagine a celebrity ship that goes to the unusual ports of the world...with 14 day minimum cruises. Actually, at one point, celebrity was setting up a division to do just that and the xpedition was the first ship. That idea obviously stopped with the xpedition. I guess it would compete with Azamara, but that's ok...after all celebrity now competes with RCL.

I don't see the Mexican market as viable....just not enough demand given the news we all read. I don't want to visit ports where i feel unsafe. It was an interesting cruise when we did it...but that was years ago on the Mercury. Now...hawaii or fiji or easter island (may be too far), etc. might be good tours from San Diego which is a great port. But it's not going to happen....Celebrity is going big ship, not smaller, more exotic, more real "modern luxury" ships.