Costumed Characters onboard the Grand Princess???

metsmom

There is nothing funny about a photographer single headedly blocking the exit gangway and creating a massive bottleneck slowing down disembarkation at port visits. There is nothing about that I find humorous at all.
I agree. However, I just tell them to get out of my way and they do. Maybe it's because they can see that I really mean it. Remember, the passenger has the right of way and if they give you guff, report them. You shouldn't have to but it does happen occasionally.

Okay. I understand how everyone is feeling about this. I too don't like to be 'pushed' into having my photo taken when trying to enjoy my cruise. On our last cruise, we even made a game out of it and tried to see how many we avoided! It was great fun! We only had three photos taken the entire week!

But, here's the thing. I don't know if this is how Princess does it, but our daughter just graduated with a degree in commercial photography. The only job she has found so far, is taking photos of fans as they enter the stadium for our local baseball team. She is paid by the hour with a twist. In the time she is there, if she takes from one to 175 photos, she is paid a little overt $8 an hour. If she gets 176-350, she is paid a little over $10/hour. And if she gets anything over 350, it's $12/hour. It doesn't matter how many are purchased, just how many she gets. Could Princess be doing some sort of incentive as this too? It has made us look at the photographers in a new light and I think we will be saying arrr a lot more on our next cruise!

I think the sand can wait for one mor minute. I do wish that maybe they move them just a bit further from the step off so that the crowd flow can continue on.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think the sand can wait for one more minute.

If they can take one picture every 15 seconds and there are 1000 pasasengers using that gangway, that means the last of the 1000 passengers has been delayed 2 hours and 5 minutes assuming two people to a picture.

Admittedly the first few passengers will only be delayed a minute or less. You just do not want to be at the end of the line.

Edited by caribill

If they can take one picture every 15 seconds and there are 1000 pasasengers using that gangway, that means the last of the 1000 passengers has been delayed 2 hours and 5 minutes assuming two people to a picture.

Admittedly the first few passengers will only be delayed a minute or less. You just do not want to be at the end of the line.

That's exactly how I feel about it when the mathematics are brought in. If the photographers really have something do to they should set up out of the way of the passengers and let people approach them if they are interested. They should not be blocking people getting off the ship and holding them up. By the time you get down to them you are getting very impatient.

We don't like the bottlenecks at the gangways both on boarding days and at the ports. We don't allow them to take photos. We just walk around or right through. When they get annoying we just say something like 'back away' or 'remember your job is in my hands'. In the DR we just wave them off.

One of the larger on board revenue makers is photos, but Princess needs to find a less intrusive way to accomplish their goals. Remember to mention any dislikes for these actions on the post cruise surveys. Princess pays attention to them. Avoid mentioning specific individuals by name.

That assumes that all 1000 people are queued at the gangway ready

to disembark at the first moment. This is usally not the case.

The time there are huge queues to disembark are when there is a

mid-day arrival at a port.

Even then, each passenger is delayed by having to be scanned by the

apass system; when a suprisingly large number of people don't have

their cruise cards at the ready, even though they know they will need

them.

The photographers at last are trying to do a job. There is no excuse

for the other people who delay the line.

One of the larger on board revenue makers is photos, but Princess needs to find a less intrusive way to accomplish their goals. Remember to mention any dislikes for these actions on the post cruise surveys. Princess pays attention to them. Avoid mentioning specific individuals by name.
If your complaint is a general one about the omnipresence of the photographers, then that's good advice. But if you have a complaint about a specific photographer, don't worry about naming him or her in the post-cruise survey.

We've been on 17 cruises on Princess and don't remember seeing a costumed character on board. When we get off in ports we just walk past them with no issue. There is also a background to have your picture taken while boarding. At FLL in terminal 2 the exit from the Suite/Elite lounge was after the backdrop. As we were allowed to board, the Princess staff said we could go back to get our Embarkation photo but no one did.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The real problem is that enough people buy those stupid pictures to make it worthwhile for the photographers to take them. The photo people pay Princess a huge fee to have the concession and they need to make a profit somehow. Same reason the Atrium areas are always filled with tables of junk, and the tacky art auctions are highlighted.

I agree. However, I just tell them to get out of my way and they do. Maybe it's because they can see that I really mean it.

I agree with Pam. In 9 Princess cruises I've only had this happen once. He blocked my getting off the ship. First I asked him very politely to move. When he didn't I looked at him and said either you move or this is going to get ugly. He moved.

Should this happen? I agree that it shouldn't. But its never that you don't have a choice. You always do.

I agree with Pam. In 9 Princess cruises I've only had this happen once. He blocked my getting off the ship. First I asked him very politely to move. When he didn't I looked at him and said either you move or this is going to get ugly. He moved.

Should this happen? I agree that it shouldn't. But its never that you don't have a choice. You always do.

That is exactly how I feel about it. Blocking people from getting off the ship and wasting time is wrong.

I don't begrudge these people their job. However they should do it in a non intrusive way. If I am in the mood then the only portraits I purchase will be an atrium photo on a formal night and I will always request the digital file opposed to print.

Though photographers need not be pushy. There is plenty of ways to make money with their cameras these days. You don't need to work for anyone to make a bit of extra cash as you can do things on your own and work for yourself.

Yes it is true and it is rather a childish, inappropriate and very inconsiderate thing that Princess does.

1.) It slows down and disrupts disembarkation in tour ports.

2.) It congests the gangway when leaving creating a bottleneck exit.

3.) It is very "in your face" and they don't leave you an option to say "no" they will literally get down on their knees and beg and worship you in order to take a photo - yes seriously they do that.

4.) They expect grown adults, many of whom are retirement age to pose for photos with "children's themes" - get real"

I don't recall ever being "forced" to take one of these photos while getting off the ship. My family usually isn't in a hurry to make a tour so we'll usually say "sure" and take the photo. There's no cost to take it and no obligation to buy it and sometimes my daughter isn't making a face (rare, but there you go) and I might actually have my eyes open.

When we were "mustered" onboard for a tour, it was for a tender port tour, and I don't recall any "characters" standing by the gangway to the tenders or even on the pier waiting for us. Any other excursions that we've booked through Princess we've met out in the terminal. So no "mustering" for those for us.

And many times (especially if you don't disembark right away), you won't even be greeted by the photographers.

Ever once in a while there's a pirate or other costumed person to pose with by the dining room (I've never seen them INSIDE the MDR...just the formal night photogs). On one of our holiday cruises, we saw this:

2389421140103777938TKwuuQ_ph.jpg

But again, I think the photography staff we've encountered on Princess has been less pushy than on Carnival.

I saw one fellow walking around, dressed up like a ship's Captain. Don't think he really was the Captain, as we were sailing at the time. I mean, if the ship was sailing, how could the Captain be driving AND walking around at the same time ? :confused:

Nah, I think it was just some guy trying to impress all the ladies . . . :rolleyes:

It undoubtedly was the captain. He's not chained to the steering wheel. His officers take turn on watch. And part of the captain's job is PR. Some are just better at it than others.

And when you go to the Captain's Circle parties, that is not an imposter. That is the captain.

We have never had any issues with the photographers in all the years we have been cruising. It's not a big deal. Guess some folks have just lost their sense of humor.

There is nothing funny about a photographer single headedly blocking the exit gangway and creating a massive bottleneck slowing down disembarkation at port visits. There is nothing about that I find humorous at all.

What part of being grabbed around the neck after declining a photo is funny? Seriously, I want to know what you think is humorous about that. But whatever it is, yes, I have lost that part of my sense of humor. Since once, in a long ago life, I had a boyfriend do that, I can tell you it really affected the rest of my day regardless of how hard I tried to put it out of my mind. There is no excuse for a violation of personal space in the quest for photo sales, especially when that photo op has been politely declined.

The photographers in the dining room (who WILL take no for an answer) aren't just on formal nights. They come around on a couple of other nights too, every cruise, but not every night, and never the first or last night.

What part of being grabbed around the neck after declining a photo is funny? Seriously, I want to know what you think is humorous about that. But whatever it is, yes, I have lost that part of my sense of humor. Since once, in a long ago life, I had a boyfriend do that, I can tell you it really affected the rest of my day regardless of how hard I tried to put it out of my mind. There is no excuse for a violation of personal space in the quest for photo sales, especially when that photo op has been politely declined.

The photographers in the dining room (who WILL take no for an answer) aren't just on formal nights. They come around on a couple of other nights too, every cruise, but not every night, and never the first or last night.

Really? Where did I say that grabbing anyone around the neck and scaring the sxxt out of them was ok. What I find amusing is some on this board complain about being held up for a few extra minutes as it is such a great inconvenience. Like others have said in most cases a simple no thanks and just keep walking works. Considering what's going on in the world it seems to me pretty petty.

It's not a big deal. Guess some folks have just lost their sense of humor.

I agree that it's not a big deal. Some of us go on cruises to have fun and enjoy life! ;) On our 1st cruise to Hawaii, we let them take all of the pictures they wanted to and then and only then "If we liked them we bought them!"

As for people being offended by pushy photographers and costumed people, well you can always refuse in a nice way. :eek: These people are only doing what they are told to and are trying to make a decent living. :cool: Why not try and remember what it was like to have fun! :D

In the last couple of years they've gotten better about leaving passengers alone after a quick, "No thank you." It used to be awful at dinner especially with the photographers insisting on taking pictures.

Not only do I object to the lines that we have to avoid at the gangway, but my major objection is the waste of paper and chemicals in printing hundreds of pictures that no one buys. This is a tremendous waste and not at all earth friendly. We don't take any pictures because we know we won't buy any pictures.

I like the photo opportunities at the gangway and outside the dining room. Sometimes its nice to have a picture of where you've called during a cruise...whether or not I buy them depends on whether or not I've been big with my own camera during the trip.

I realize that sometime this practice can slow disembarkation in a port but my God it's a vacation. Relax.

What part of being grabbed around the neck after declining a photo is funny? .

Doing this is definitely going too far. We cruised on RCCL with my mom who was visually impaired. At dinner one night, a pirate of some sort came over with a knife or sword and put it around my mom's neck. I sternly said "Stop and NO" while he was doing it and he did not listen. This can be incredibly scary for someone with sight and even worse for someone with out sight. He should have stopped when I said something but kept on with the act. Needless to say he got in serious trouble that night and deserved it.

I have seen costumed characters in port. I sometimes take the picture because its easier and faster. I don't go look at them or buy them.

most often, others are having their photo taken and I just walk past.

only twice have I seen them outside of a dining room.

new to princess cruisers might think being accosted happens all the time. it does not. once is too many times though, and I think its terrible that that has happened to people on this board. that has not been my experience and I hope that bringing it to princess' attention has ensured it is no one else's either.

I never would have thought this was an issue and the only time I feel it intrusive is at dinner when we have to re-arrange the table and seating for a photo. lately my table-mates and I have all said no thank you and they carried on.

The issue I am seeing here with people saying they cooperate with the photographers or other comments where people claim cruise passengers have lost their sense of humour. Did you stop to think that by cooperating with these photographers you are contributing to the disruption and making a slower pace for your fellow passengers to leave the ship. Sure you may not be in a hurry, but other passengers are. We are visiting unique world wide destinations and want to explore. We don't want to be held up by being put into a forced queue to pass a photographer.

For the person who mentioned tender ports. I can assure you Princess will waste your time there. On the first tender to leave the ship are the ships photographers and their furry costumed friends. The moment you get off the ship in a tender port here these pests are ready to great you and hold up your day and waste your precious time even more.

Besides that it is an entirely sloppy and unprofessional way to make money. Any serious high end photographer would never dream of making a career taking cheap shots like that.

Think about it. Wedding photographers see their clients all dressed up, theme costumes, traditional clothing or formal and smart casual wear. They have a theme and place to take stunning memorable photographs.

These silly ships photographers seem to think an "attractive photo" involves people with backpacks, hats, cameras around their necks, other passengers "photobombing" the scene and other ugly scenes like the dirty dock the ship is at. There is nothing desirable or attractive by such photos.

Cooperating with these pests just to save them the hassle of chasing you is only slowing down your fellow passenger. In the seconds you have stopped to take a photo with these pests you have essentially held up the line to a complete stop of your fellow passengers getting off the ship. So congratulations.

The issue I am seeing here with people saying they cooperate with the photographers or other comments where people claim cruise passengers have lost their sense of humour. Did you stop to think that by cooperating with these photographers you are contributing to the disruption and making a slower pace for your fellow passengers to leave the ship. Sure you may not be in a hurry, but other passengers are. We are visiting unique world wide destinations and want to explore. We don't want to be held up by being put into a forced queue to pass a photographer.

For the person who mentioned tender ports. I can assure you Princess will waste your time there. On the first tender to leave the ship are the ships photographers and their furry costumed friends. The moment you get off the ship in a tender port here these pests are ready to great you and hold up your day and waste your precious time even more.

Besides that it is an entirely sloppy and unprofessional way to make money. Any serious high end photographer would never dream of making a career taking cheap shots like that.

Think about it. Wedding photographers see their clients all dressed up, theme costumes, traditional clothing or formal and smart casual wear. They have a theme and place to take stunning memorable photographs.

These silly ships photographers seem to think an "attractive photo" involves people with backpacks, hats, cameras around their necks, other passengers "photobombing" the scene and other ugly scenes like the dirty dock the ship is at. There is nothing desirable or attractive by such photos.

Cooperating with these pests just to save them the hassle of chasing you is only slowing down your fellow passenger. In the seconds you have stopped to take a photo with these pests you have essentially held up the line to a complete stop of your fellow passengers getting off the ship. So congratulations.

By your reasoning I should consider passengers who agree to buy a drink by the deck waiters enabling them to bug those of us who don't want a drink. Or those who take part in bingo matches which encourage CDs to overdo those PA announcements. The people who have posted being accosted do have a point, and are justified in reporting the characters and photographers who crossed the line with unwanted physical contact. But just asking if you want your picture taken as you're getting off the gangway, it is secondary revenue for the ship, but you don't have to pay for the photo and you don't even have to agree to take the photo.

And I have never seen this set up by a tender or at the pier in a tender port. Not saying you're lying, just that I haven't experienced this.