Going back to carnival!!

Reality check? Had you been anywhere but onboard that ship, I suspect you would have an appointment with a juvie court.

You excuse your son's actions as that of a ten year old's prank. Theft is a crime, no matter what the outcome was.

If this had been my son/daughter, I would have stepped to the side and let him/her see the consequence of their misdeed. Then, when the matter was resolved, he/she would have to deal with me in private.

jayblue RCCL cruiser

Edited by jayblue

When I was about ten years old, I was caught stealing change from a stack of newspapers in front of a drugstore. The owner decided to call my father instead of the cops. I begged him to call the cops instead. About a week later (or so) I was able to walk again and never again contemplated stealing anything!

On a different note, while I do loving cruising at age 62, one of my biggest complaints is unsupervised kids running all over the place with absolutely no respect for anyone or anything. I've often thought they need to have someone like my father in their lives - if only for a few minutes!

I know, "child abuse" and "Oh, the horror!" but I and a lot of other kids survived and learned valuable lessons that stayed with us for life.

I so wish we had a "like" button....

I have to say that, as a juvenile probation officer, any kid can do something dumb. The most well-behaved child in the world can steal something, get caught drinking, smoking pot, laying out of school or whatever, ONCE. Everyone makes mistakes, what is important is what you learn from those mistakes. In this instance I am afraid that the only thing this child may have learned is that the security people were wrong to be so mean to him. I liken it to a parent/teacher conference...when we went to conferences for our kids we talked with the teacher about any concerns we had, in private! If a teacher scolded one of my sons for something I backed her up 100% in front of him and then addressed any possible issues I had with how she handled it privately with her so the teacher's authority was not undermined. This child may now know that stealing is bad but mommy will fix it or think that he does not have to listen to security on the next cruise because he'll just tell his parents and his mother will "go bananas." No disrespect meant to the mother, I have two boys and I can be fierce when defending them :o but I hope to have taught them much about personal accountability along the way. Good luck OP, hope you have a better experience on your next cruise.

I don't know... maybe it's just me, but it really seems like the 10 year old in this situation is the OP... kicking and screaming like a child that didn't have the ultimate experience because of something someone in HER family did...

the OP is a teacher, and educator yet acts just like the 4th graders she teaches... and in front of her own flesh & blood.. NICE... REAL NICE!! (and she is also making Long Island, NY look oh so wonderful right now... Like we don't already have a bad rap!!) :cool:

Someone else said it, and I will too, you're lucky your darling PERFECT 10 year son that you left alone to do whatever with didn't do it on the first night because you're reaction of ARREST ME if you don't find the maintenance guy would have landed you in some far away JAIL CELL in the Caribbean, where I'm sure Bubba would have taught you how to act like an ADULT and not a lunatic!!

Have fun on Carnival... just means a pool chair for me now!!! :D

Regardless of what some people preach...The quality of your cruise is in no way impacted by the amount of money your sailing costs.

To each their own. On this board you will get people defending their favorite lines until they are blue in the face.

That's based on their personal experience.

Your experience unfortunately with RCCL wasn't a good one. But don't swear off the line forever. Give it another chance. The next RCCL cruise you take could be the best one ever.

I don't really uinderstand why people offer that sort of advice. If the OP doesn't want to sail RCI again then they shouldn't. Why should anyone really care? If has no affect on me, my family, or anyone else on these boards. I like sailing with RCI. I very much enjoy Oasis/Allure. I would not try to convince anyone else who disagrees to change their minds. That is RCI's job not mine.

It's interesting that although you don't feel money has any baring on your cruise's you mention it a lot!

Re-read my post. You misinterpreted what I typed.

I simply said...one of the worst cruises we encountered was one of the cruises we paid the most for.

Hense... just because you are paying more it doesn't mean you are guaranteed a better experience!!!!!!

"NOT because of the price point but because of the experience we've had with them. "

This refers to the fact that we don't sail Carnival because its "all that we can afford" because we don't have a set budget when we travel. We CHOOSE to sail carnival because of positive past experiences.

Now in saying this we also don't exclude other lines.

We currently have 2 booked cruises that are not with Carnival. So it's not like I'm just being a Carnival cheerleader ;)!

Really SpookWife??? Than explain why the watch was found in his personal belongings 4 hours later? I knew by posting my review here I was going to hear a ton of backlash. But I have to say never did I think people would be soooo mean and callous. For the few who took the review for what it was...thank u! To the rest of u...I only hope that one day you or a child makes a mistake and you receive the same treatment you have so kindly bestowed upon me. Have a nice day!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There really has not been a ton of backlash here for your review of the ship. Perhaps posting about your son's antics and your reactions shows more of a flaw in your own judgment than in his?

Personally, I would have walked with the boy to the desk and watched in the distance as he returned the watch. This whole story is just another example of what can happen when you leave a 10 year old with no supervision. I am wondering if mom was specific as to where her son should return the watch. Obviously, he chose an inappropriate random crew member to hand the watch to, not unexpected of a 10 year old who does not want to face the consequences from someone in authority.

If this story is correct, the maintenance worker has probably been punished by losing his job. Maybe there was a language issue and he thought the boy was the watch to him or maybe not. Royal Caribbean would probably prefer this family does not return. I hope OP lets her son know that they will no longer be taking RCCL cruises because he stole the watch and did not return it - look at what it caused.

Also wondering how security found out about the stolen watch. I am guessing that when the other boy returned the watch to the proper place they questioned him to let him know the seriousness of the matter (handled properly) and that is how they found out.

I don't know why the OP thinks that her son giving the stolen item to a random maintenance worker is "returning" the item and thus has nullified the theft.

I wonder, when the OP's cop husband pulls someone over for speeding, or some other infraction, if the driver apologizes and admits wrongdoing do they get off with a stern lecture? or do they get a costly summons? Just wondering if what is good for the goose is good for the gander?

Wonder what the OP would think if someone stole something of value off her desk while distracted

I wonder what she would think when that kid's mother came in and went off in her face about how she never should have left the object out in the open to temp the kid.

Personally, I would have walked with the boy to the desk and watched in the distance as he returned the watch. This whole story is just another example of what can happen when you leave a 10 year old with no supervision. I am wondering if mom was specific as to where her son should return the watch. Obviously, he chose an inappropriate random crew member to hand the watch to, not unexpected of a 10 year old who does not want to face the consequences from someone in authority.

If this story is correct, the maintenance worker has probably been punished by losing his job. Maybe there was a language issue and he thought the boy was the watch to him or maybe not. Royal Caribbean would probably prefer this family does not return. I hope OP lets her son know that they will no longer be taking RCCL cruises because he stole the watch and did not return it - look at what it caused.

Also wondering how security found out about the stolen watch. I am guessing that when the other boy returned the watch to the proper place they questioned him to let him know the seriousness of the matter (handled properly) and that is how they found out.

If you read the original post, it sounds like the boy decided to return the watch before his parents even knew about the incident.

I'm curious... at what point did the OP and her husband learn about the stolen watch? Was it from the son or from security?

It also sounds like the OP's husband didn't have a problem with security's reaction, since it was only after he relayed the information to the OP that she exploded.

Thank u Babs and Cruzin!!! Thank u for getting something useful from my review (lack of ocean views) and thank u for understanding that I did nothing less than any other parent...i appreciate your honesty and your kind words!

Sorry, but I think you did a lot less than many other parents. My children are adults now but I would have never even thought about leaving a 10 year old unattended while I went out and had a nice dinner. And "going bananas" on the crew is not setting an example of good behavior.

I agree...they didn't have self sign out until the 3rd day when they proved responsibility...ie...checking in when told...back at stateroom at specific time...and not getting in trouble. I had no reason to think that they would have done something so stupid. Unfortunately, their bad decision overrode their excellent behavior on the first 6 days...I am a good parent with great kids...so sad that many of you think you are so superior.

How do you know they had excellent behavior the first six days? They may just not have gotten caught. I have no doubt that you are a good parent, but even good parents make mistakes. The thing is to learn from them and I hope your son learned a valuable lesson and you will think twice about letting him roam a cruise ship alone in the future.

Sorry, but I think you did a lot less than many other parents. My children are adults now but I would have never even thought about leaving a 10 year old unattended while I went out and had a nice dinner. And "going bananas" on the crew is not setting an example of good behavior.

How do you know they had excellent behavior the first six days? They may just not have gotten caught. I have no doubt that you are a good parent, but even good parents make mistakes. The thing is to learn from them and I hope your son learned a valuable lesson and you will think twice about letting him roam a cruise ship alone in the future.

Good point - she simply ASSUMES they had "excellent behavior" the first 6 days, running free about the ship from day 3 on, because HER little darlings are ALWAYS perfectly behaved.

Sadly, I think the main lesson Junior learned was that when he does something wrong, Mom's reaction will be primarily to "go bananas" on anyone who would DARE to discipline him for his misbehavior.

And I'm willing to bet that her little darlings will continue to roam cruise ships alone in the future, because the fault/blame for this "incident" rests almost completely with ship staff, NOT her angel - and she'll likely be socializing with friends while they roam the ship - again...

I have a question, I have never sailed RC, Carnival yes. But I never have been in the arcade. How would anyone have access to steal anything that is valuable? Are they not locked up until you have enough credits or tickets to get something for them?

I am a little baffled how they would get a hold of these items. I understand that you may feel bad how the they treated your son. But if it were mine, they get what they deserved for their action. I would want my child to be held accountable from the people they stole from. We would all like to believe as parents that our children are able to deal with things out of our sight. But sometimes they can not. We as the parent are responsible for the actions are children do. All I can say is you won't be there out in the real world for when he is older and has to speak for himself and hear people that will hold him accountable for his own actions. OP, I am not down grading you or upset you , just being honest.

High Powers. . . please move it back!

Now that made this thread worth the time I wasted reading it. :D

I always slot these kinds of threads into one of two slots. Slot A (most likely) that the only purpose is the wind-up factor. This theory is enhanced because the OP posted it on both the CCL board and the RCI boards.

Slot B (highly unlikely, but truly scary) that the OP is truly as clueless as they are portraying themselves. This opens up all kinds of super scary sub slots....:D

jc

Good point - she simply ASSUMES they had "excellent behavior" the first 6 days, running free about the ship from day 3 on, because HER little darlings are ALWAYS perfectly behaved.

Sadly, I think the main lesson Junior learned was that when he does something wrong, Mom's reaction will be primarily to "go bananas" on anyone who would DARE to discipline him for his misbehavior.

And I'm willing to bet that her little darlings will continue to roam cruise ships alone in the future, because the fault/blame for this "incident" rests almost completely with ship staff, NOT her angel - and she'll likely be socializing with friends while they roam the ship - again...

I couldn't agree more. She should be writing an apology for the way she

"went bananas" at the poor staff, and count her blessings they were not

disembarked at the next port due to the son's misbehavior and her attitude.

The issue at stake here is not the OP's parenting skills or the behaviour of her Son. It is the ridiculous notion that one can use such an extreme, extraordinary incident to draw conclusions on the attitude and service provided by two different cruise lines , given that we have no like for like comparable information.

So in my opinion, the disgruntled OP should ask herself not so much whether or not RCI should be forever jettisoned from her list of future choices in favour of other companies but whether or not she is ever likely to experience such a weird set of circumstances as long as she lives.