Going back to carnival!!

I so wish we had a "like" button....

I have to say that, as a juvenile probation officer, any kid can do something dumb. The most well-behaved child in the world can steal something, get caught drinking, smoking pot, laying out of school or whatever, ONCE. Everyone makes mistakes, what is important is what you learn from those mistakes. In this instance I am afraid that the only thing this child may have learned is that the security people were wrong to be so mean to him. I liken it to a parent/teacher conference...when we went to conferences for our kids we talked with the teacher about any concerns we had, in private! If a teacher scolded one of my sons for something I backed her up 100% in front of him and then addressed any possible issues I had with how she handled it privately with her so the teacher's authority was not undermined. This child may now know that stealing is bad but mommy will fix it or think that he does not have to listen to security on the next cruise because he'll just tell his parents and his mother will "go bananas." No disrespect meant to the mother, I have two boys and I can be fierce when defending them :o but I hope to have taught them much about personal accountability along the way. Good luck OP, hope you have a better experience on your next cruise.

Excellent post!!! I couldn't have said it better :)

I wonder what she would think when that kid's mother came in and went off in her face about how she never should have left the object out in the open to temp the kid.

Sadly, I think the main lesson Junior learned was that when he does something wrong, Mom's reaction will be primarily to "go bananas" on anyone who would DARE to discipline him for his misbehavior.

That's the.....my kid can do no wrong, blame the authorities, give everyone a trophy, which will lead to a bunch of 30 year olds still living at home because they haven't learned the consequences of losing.....world we live in nowadays.

I don't care how this ended. When I was a kid, if I stole something, that would have been the end of my vacation. My parents would not have argued with security, turning it around as though it was their fault for not knowing who the freakn' janitor was. They would have told security to lock me up and teach me a lesson. Nowadays, the reaction is a "stern talking to." Good Lord, I fear for our future. :rolleyes:

We also recently traveled royal caribbean - mostly carnival and princess in the past. I can say, I personally enjoyed RC more because there were fewer unattended children. I can't imagine that we would have ever taken our young child on a cruise and allowed them free reign! Just the way we were raised (by a police captain and 35 year teacher) and the way we raised our child. But to each his own. Sadly this young boy learned a hard life lesson, and had he not been onboard, he may have been in juvenile detention somewhere. I think the bigger lesson he learned is that mom and dad will bail him out, perhaps an incentive to repeat this behavior in the future. Hopefully not, but one never knows.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

I teach as well and agree with the others. The harsher the better, especially as a parent. This isn't the ABC's here or they got 5 x 7 wrong on a quiz. The stole something! Sounds like a classic case of this current generation's major issue - let's make sure everyone "feels okay." It doesn't really matter what the crew member did subsequently, as they wouldn't have that opportunity had your child not done something wrong. Allure is a huge ship and chances are the items didn't get back to where they needed to be in the time period required to make you a happy traveler. I love Royal and you didn't affect my opinion to cruise them or not.

Thank you, I get things right on occasion, just ask my husband :D

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Ditto on ur post.

If I ever did that when I was a kid, I wouldn't be able to sit for a week!

But this is an interesting thread. Comparing cruise lines, kid behavior, parent behavior, security...wow. My take is everyone was embarassed. Everyone could have behaved better with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight. But life ain't like that. As a poster noted earlier, ships are a microcosm of society. We are taught and hopefully learn our values at an early age. But life will always present opportunities to learn new lessons. I hope ALL concerned learned from this.

1. Is it really so hard to believe that security would be skeptical of your claim that your son gave the watch to "an employee"? Frankly, it sounds like something a 10 year old kid with sticky fingers would say to absolve himself of blame and get away with the pilfered item. Of course their tone changed after the item was found, up until then they were probably pretty confident the kid still had it.

2. If the kid was screaming and crying, then rather than bemoaning this fact, maybe you should be grateful he had the experience. Sounds like it may have taught him not to take what isn't his going forward. Overall, it likely had a positive impact on his life.

3. Judging by the way you "went off" on the ship employees, I think Carnival probably suits you better anyway, this incident notwithstanding. Not trashing Carnival, you can see from my signature that I have sailed with them many times and find the lines to be more similar than different, but Carnival definitely attracts a louder, rowdier crowd.

4. I just wanted to post in here before the thread gets locked/deleted.

5. You seem incredulous that people in the Carnival thread were more sympathetic and people in the RCCL thread "ripped you apart." Are you truly that naive or are you being disingenuous? You're using this as a vehicle to proclaim Carnival's superiority in forums you already know to be highly biased. Why post it in both threads if not to elicit a response? Why post it on a message board at all? You knew exactly what type of responses would follow on each board, so let's not pretend now that this is some sort of further evidence of Carnival cruisers' general empathy and RCCL cruisers' callous indifference or tendency towards judgment.

I couldn't agree more. She should be writing an apology for the way she

"went bananas" at the poor staff, and count her blessings they were not

disembarked at the next port due to the son's misbehavior and her attitude.

If it wasn't for being the last night of the cruise the whole family would have found themselves standing on the dock in a foreign port.

That's the.....my kid can do no wrong, blame the authorities, give everyone a trophy, which will lead to a bunch of 30 year olds still living at home because they haven't learned the consequences of losing.....world we live in nowadays.

I don't care how this ended. When I was a kid, if I stole something, that would have been the end of my vacation. My parents would not have argued with security, turning it around as though it was their fault for not knowing who the freakn' janitor was. They would have told security to lock me up and teach me a lesson. Nowadays, the reaction is a "stern talking to." Good Lord, I fear for our future. :rolleyes:

I would have hoped that security would have kept me compared to what my dad would have done. I would not have been able to sit for a week.

I have my doubts that the OP will return to this thread. Not sure if she thought that others would see her side and give her some backup or if this was just a post to try and give RCI a black eye. I think her plan backfired. Also I would not be surprised if the OP's family was asked not to return.

Edited by cruisingator2

Comparing different lines is a personal thing. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes and people should cruise on the line(s) that suit them best.

People parent in different ways and have their own ideas about what makes a good parent.

The one question I have is "what did the kid learn from all of this"?

Great review. I cruise with whoever and I'm not loyal to anyone. But Royal is my favorite. Love the comparison.

My niece started taking things around 8 or 9 and now at 23 is a full blown thief. Can't invite her over your house or something will come up missing. Make sure you speak with your son about any previous stealing. We had know idea what we had on our hands until it was too late. I'm not saying he's a repeat offender, I'm just expressing what happened to us and making sure you ask questions about any previous thefts so you can nip this in the bud at young age.

My coffee of the week was a skim milk latte or skim milk cappuccino. I would order from Café Promenade, one of two venues on the ship where I could order these. On Tuesday morning I was informed that they had no skim milk??? Really??? On the entire ship??

You posted this on Monday, the same day your cruise started.

How could you have know what they where going to say to you,

the day before it happened?

Me think you are a troll trying to stir up things.

Edited by Bigtex1622

Uh...I'm guessing they finished the cruise before they posted about it.

They sailed on Sun 3rd August....

I'm not sure why but I feel this outcome was predestined....

I can't imagine comparing Carnival with Royal Caribbean, I mean I just feel Carnival are a real step down. Even in the ranks of Carnival Corporation everyone I know believes Carnival to be a step way down from Princess which I would say is more comparable to Royal Caribbean.

Maybe you were just looking for a Carnival cruise in the wrong place.....:confused:

Like! I so agree with you!

In the cruise industry Princess and Royal Caribbean are the 2 cruise lines that are most comparable. At least for me..

I hope you're not looking at the OP's signature to determine that.

1) The signature references a cruise on 8-11-12

2) The signature mentions Carnival Dream

NOW who's "trying to stir up things"?

I have a question, I have never sailed RC, Carnival yes. But I never have been in the arcade. How would anyone have access to steal anything that is valuable? Are they not locked up until you have enough credits or tickets to get something for them?

I am a little baffled how they would get a hold of these items...

I have sailed RCI often, and the "arcade" bit puzzles me, too. Granted, I do not play video games, but I would not expect $160 watches in the video arcade.

So, here is my altenative guess....shopping malls are called shopping arcades by a few people. Royal caribbean's big ships have the royal promenade that some people compare to a mall. Items for sale, including watches and electronics may be offered for sale. One picks their item and takes it to a cashier to purchase...or perhaps shoplifts the item in this case.

Most Americans would not call that area an arcade, well, perhaps an educated person might do so hoping to obfuscate bad behavior.

I have sailed RCI often, and the "arcade" bit puzzles me, too. Granted, I do not play video games, but I would not expect $160 watches in the video arcade.

So, here is my altenative guess....shopping malls are called shopping arcades by a few people. Royal caribbean's big ships have the royal promenade that some people compare to a mall. Items for sale, including watches and electronics may be offered for sale. One picks their item and takes it to a cashier to purchase...or perhaps shoplifts the item in this case.

Most Americans would not call that area an arcade, well, perhaps an educated person might do so hoping to obfuscate bad behavior.

I agree. As soon as I read "watch" and "arcade", I figured it was more likely the watch sale that is held on the Allure. Which is not at the arcade. :)

Edited by janetz

There are several skill type arcade games that have a variety of prizes in them such as ipods, watches, cameras, etc. I have seen them in RCI's arcades.

I don't really uinderstand why people offer that sort of advice. If the OP doesn't want to sail RCI again then they shouldn't. Why should anyone really care? If has no affect on me, my family, or anyone else on these boards. I like sailing with RCI. I very much enjoy Oasis/Allure. I would not try to convince anyone else who disagrees to change their minds. That is RCI's job not mine.

Actually it is good for us. One less feral child and potential thief onboard.

WOW

over 100 responses about how to parent and some posts that have questions or comments get very little response. I thought this forum was about cruises not about parenting:)

Actually, it is a valid topic. It is a reminder to us to watch our personal stuff better.

OP - How would you have preferred the RCI security staff handle theft on their ship? :confused:

Ocean ship .... ocean rules.

Keelhauling

Walking the plank

Flogging

Marooning

I couldn't agree more. She should be writing an apology for the way she "went bananas" at the poor staff, and count her blessings they were not disembarked at the next port due to the son's misbehavior and her attitude.

The only think missing and I am sure it was said to RCI personnel was, "MA BABY DIDN'T DO NOTHING!"

I agree, especially since she is an "educator". I wonder how the LEO father feels about the whole event. Like Aquahound, Had I done something like this, I would have begged to be placed into protective custody because my parents would have killed me slowly and painfully. One can only wonder where this kid will be in ten years. Unlike Aquahound, I am going to said he will have spend time in a more confined location then in his parent's basement.

Edited by tanzer22pilot

I feel sorry for the poor worker they involved in this drama . He may have lost his job . Seriously OP you were way out of line going crazy on the crew .The person you should direct your anger at is your son.

I agree that the OP's anger was misdirected but the crew member should have turned the watch in to security immediately after receiving it.