Three hour checkin Canada Placd

TrnrMom

Not sure if this has been going on all summer, but yesterday's checkin at Canada Place must have set a record for something. Three ships were in port, but that is not a new thing for Vancouver.

We were directed to walk the length of the pier to room C. There were got in line to hand over our bags - all three ships had a signed location, but it was confusing. I'm sure bags ended up in the wrong place....then we were directed to another line to get a number - group 46 - this was at 12:30. Hoards of people were seated, while others were trying to find seats. The PA system was hard to understand with trucks from Norwegian running their motors, and bag carts being banged. After a two hour wait, we were directed down three flights of narrow, steep stairs to the usual check in place..

Only to wait for 30-40 minutes in a security line. Only three out of five stations were running. Then we walked to another area to find a long Disneyland style line for US Customs. It was exactly like Disney since after snaking through one room, you want to another room,that snaked up to the Customs desks - most of which were open. However, it still took another 30-40 minutes to clear that hurdle.

Finally, we were directed to the right ship's checkin lines. These were relatively short & efficient. We were in our room by about 3:15pm. All in all, a very bad scene. It was hot in thus customs line, but fortunately the dividers were made up of folding chairs. We had older folks who couldn't handle over an hour of standing. There was no supervision. In the first customs room. We had to leave the line to find a security person for an elderly women who was having breathing problems. All in all, a very bad scene ?

Needless to say, muster was an hour delayed,and we finally set sail very late at 6:15.

We had the same type of experience in 2010 at Canada place. 3 ships in port and very long lines. We were there early and put into a holding room. People that arrived after us were processed before us and on the ship before us. It was a 3.5 hour experience, not a good start to a cruise.

Dennis

We boarded a HAL cruise (our only one on HAL) many years ago with two ships in port and it was not nearly that chaotic. Thanks for the heads up to stay out of Vancouver.

One question though was that you said you had to go through US immigration but you are in Canada. Was that a mis-type?

We experienced similar delays for an early June cruise & was told by CC members it was due to inexperienced personnel at CP learning their jobs. Since you are at the end of the season then a lack of experienced personnel should not apply & it must be a lack of sufficient space to handle 3 ships at CP. And a lack of communication makes a bad situation even worse. :(

One question though was that you said you had to go through US immigration but you are in Canada. Was that a mis-type?

I was wondering the same thing and wonder if their cruise was from Vancouver to LA? Last summer we flew from Vancouver airport to LAX and went through US immigrations and customs at YVR so wonder if it's the same thing for a cruise beginning in Canada & ending in the US?

Canada Place with three or more ships in port is just a bad situation regardless of when you go. When I did a 1-day in 2011 out of Vancouver (three ships at Canada Place that day, plus a fourth at Ballantyne) we ended up waiting an hour and a half in line, but I heard that some people ended up waiting over four hours. They had to delay departure two hours because the ship was still over 600 passengers short at the scheduled departure time.

And yes, for repositioning cruises that go from Vancouver directly to a US port they do have US customs set up at Canada Place. If I recall, they didn't do this when I took a coastal repo that stopped in Victoria before reaching a US port.

Edited by Vexorg

I am a Vancouverite and while I think what happens on repositioning weekends in the spring and in the fall is very unfortunate, the problems are well documented here each season.

Yes, there were 3 ships at Canada Place this past weekend and there will be 3 next weekend with a 4th at Ballantyne. Canada Place has little problem with 2 ships during the main season but on these repositioning weekends a major portion is entirely out of the hands of the people at Canada Place. As a rule the problem lies entirely at the feet of the US CBP who only have so many people on the ground in Vancouver who also must man the preclearance facilities at YVR. They simply don't have the additional manpower to handle that 3rd ship in a timely fashion and of course everyone must clear US CPB before embarkation. Throw in some mandatory breaks for the CBP officers and you have the recipe for chaos that occurs each May and September.

The cruise lines don't like, the Port of Vancouver doesn't like it but it is entirely out of their hands.

I am a Vancouverite and while I think what happens on repositioning weekends in the spring and in the fall is very unfortunate, the problems are well documented here each season.

Yes, there were 3 ships at Canada Place this past weekend and there will be 3 next weekend with a 4th at Ballantyne. Canada Place has little problem with 2 ships during the main season but on these repositioning weekends a major portion is entirely out of the hands of the people at Canada Place. As a rule the problem lies entirely at the feet of the US CBP who only have so many people on the ground in Vancouver who also must man the preclearance facilities at YVR. They simply don't have the additional manpower to handle that 3rd ship in a timely fashion and of course everyone must clear US CPB before embarkation. Throw in some mandatory breaks for the CBP officers and you have the recipe for chaos that occurs each May and September.

The cruise lines don't like, the Port of Vancouver doesn't like it but it is entirely out of their hands.

Thanks...the lack of US CBP personnel makes sense to me as the cause of the delays.

I wonder did all three ships have the same check in time - they sometimes try to stagger the check in times - not that the majority of cruisers heed that advice - we all want to be the first in line - first on the ship so we can be first to make dinner reservation, get our favorite poolside seat, meet our favorite waiter at our favorite bar and eat at meal before the crowds desend on the buffet or MDR.

I was down at Canada Place on Saturday at 10:15 AM - only two ships at Canada Place - while going on a bike ride - and the there was a steady stream of people walking down the ramp at that time - isn't check in time usually 12 or 1 - While US CBP can be the problem we often don't help by showing up early.

Cheers!

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker

Are you trying to tell us that a US Government agency can be inefficient? <GASP!!!> How could you say such a thing? :rolleyes:

I don't work for the federal government but I do work for the state government in California. Inefficiency is one of our main "skills"!!! :eek:

If your first port of call after departing Vancouver is a U.S. port, then, yes, you will usually clear U.S. CBP as part of the boarding process at Canada Place. Despite the delays it caused yesterday, it's nice to get that out of the way and you don't waste time clearing CBP at your first U.S. port of call.

If your first port after departing Vancouver is Victoria (or any other Canadian port) you will not clear U.S. CBP as part of the boarding process.

Edited by BEAV

If your first port of call after departing Vancouver is a U.S. port, then, yes, you will usually clear U.S. CBP as part of the boarding process at Canada Place. Despite the delays it caused yesterday, it's nice to get that out of the way and you don't waste time clearing CBP at your first U.S. port of call.

If your first port after departing Vancouver is Victoria (or any other Canadian port) you will not clear U.S. CBP as part of the boarding process.

We cruised from Vancouver to San Francisco in May this year, our first time cruising from here to US with a stop in Victoria first.

Clearing US customs in SFO, rather than in Vancouver was horrendous!

US customs was in the Vista Lounge and the line snaked in and around the ship all the way back to the Princess Theater. Took hours before we were finally off the ship and able to enjoy San Francisco.

Did that make me averse to ever cruising to San Francisco again? Of course not.

Vancouver is my home port and I am not saying there are never delays in boarding, but often times it is due to clearing US customs that can be a significant part of the cause.

The fault was most certainly not with US customs, but instead with port security.

We are also on the Golden, having boarded yesterday and had a very different experience. We arrived at the port via Quick Shuttle from Seattle and were directed, while still on the bus, to the luggage receiving area--not the main floor under The hotel where we usually board in Vancouver, but Dow to the very lowest level--one that was posted as requiring safety gear to enter.

After the bus passed through a metal gate under the building, we got off the bus,were given our carry on luggage and were directed through a small, almost hidden door. Immediately inside the door was a luggage screener. The 30 of us who had been on the bus, went quickly through security, and then took an escalator directly up to custom, totally avoiding the floor where we normally line up for boarding. The whole process took less than 15 minutes and there we were, on the ship, eating lunch.

We didn't hear anything about the "mess" until we talked to some people who had arrived at 1:00 and didn't get on board until 5:08, after the delayed muster was finished.

We were part of a similar four-hour boarding mess several years ago in Vancouver in the spring where they also blamed US Customs, but as a first-hand observer, I can assure that the problem was with the port security in both cases. I am just happy that this time we lucked out.

This is normal on days when there are numerous repos sailing. More people just bring on carry on, making going thru security even longer. Also many show up very early to board.

This is not the case during the normal Alaskan season.

Problem is that if you are sailing out of Canada Place everyone has to go thru the same security check point and once you have passed that you are divided and sent to the appropriate ship.

Lines for security can run all the way to the street.

We have been sailing when there were three ships in port on a repo cruise and security line up was two hours long. Once we got thru there we had to go thru US Customs but that moved. In total it took three hours.

But that is not the norm...

Vickie

I wonder did all three ships have the same check in time - they sometimes try to stagger the check in times - not that the majority of cruisers heed that advice - we all want to be the first in line - first on the ship so we can be first to make dinner reservation, get our favorite poolside seat, meet our favorite waiter at our favorite bar and eat at meal before the crowds desend on the buffet or MDR.

I was down at Canada Place on Saturday at 10:15 AM - only two ships at Canada Place - while going on a bike ride - and the there was a steady stream of people walking down the ramp at that time - isn't check in time usually 12 or 1 - While US CBP can be the problem we often don't help by showing up early.

Cheers!

Dennis

LIKE, LIKE, LIKE, LIKE!!!! If people would heed the request to show up at XXX time, then some of this backlog wouldn't take place.

We boarded a HAL cruise (our only one on HAL) many years ago with two ships in port and it was not nearly that chaotic. Thanks for the heads up to stay out of Vancouver.

Yes, this was the Golden....and yes, it was security, Canadian customs, the US. In LA we will just need to turn in our a Declarations form as we walk out.

By the way, they are not speeding up to jake up the time. Our expected docking is 8:30 am rather than 7 PM. Weather was the usual coastal bumps and clouds out of VAN but it has been smooth and sunny the latter part of today.

Only thing we can figure is it was Sunday and Canada chose only to operate 3 out of 5 luggage scanners. There were only about four Canadian customs booths open and maybe ten out of twelve US statins, we've been here when we had to be bussed to Ballentyne, and even that wasn't this bad. We will check the port schedule next time or avoid VAN if possible.

My cruise on RC out of Sydney last winter, they sent out stagered times to board - I got to the dock at 1 due to the hotel transfer time - my email had said 2 - I was denied boarding until 2. I could drop my luggage, and I went for a walk and came back. At that time there was no lineups at all, and boarding was very quick. Think more cruise lines should look at that.

I know, I hear the roar of the ones that insist they paid for "a free lunch" on boarding day and are going to get it no matter what!

But, I would rather board at 2 and walk on than board line up at 12 and wait in that line until 2 and board - not good at standing around in lineups

Based on the times I've sailed out of Vancouver, it's usually pretty clear that port security is much more likely to be the bottleneck than CBP is. It didn't take us more than 10-15 minutes to get through CBP and check-in after getting through port security. Unfortunately, it took over an hour to get through the port security line.

LIKE, LIKE, LIKE, LIKE!!!! If people would heed the request to show up at XXX time, then some of this backlog wouldn't take place.

So knowing people will show up anytime and not planning for it is the customer's fault. Highly doubt it. Seems like those in charge at CP would have adjusted by how but it doesn't look like they have. Many other ports have the same customers coming anytime and handle it pretty good. Not he customer's fault.

So knowing people will show up anytime and not planning for it is the customer's fault. Highly doubt it. Seems like those in charge at CP would have adjusted by how but it doesn't look like they have. Many other ports have the same customers coming anytime and handle it pretty good. Not he customer's fault.

What other ports have you go through US immigration before boarding. Vancouver is very unique in this situation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What other ports have you go through US immigration before boarding. Vancouver is very unique in this situation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Airports in Canada (for direct flights to the States) do too. I've experienced it at Vancouver and Calgary airports.

Actually Princess has started to advise their customers to arrive at certain times (i.e. staggered boarding) but most people insist on just showing up whenever they feel like it, hence long line ups.

Yes, this was the Golden....and yes, it was security, Canadian customs, the US. In LA we will just need to turn in our a Declarations form as we walk out.

By the way, they are not speeding up to jake up the time. Our expected docking is 8:30 am rather than 7 PM. Weather was the usual coastal bumps and clouds out of VAN but it has been smooth and sunny the latter part of today.

Only thing we can figure is it was Sunday and Canada chose only to operate 3 out of 5 luggage scanners. There were only about four Canadian customs booths open and maybe ten out of twelve US statins, we've been here when we had to be bussed to Ballentyne, and even that wasn't this bad. We will check the port schedule next time or avoid VAN if possible.

Hi Judy !

What a pleasant surprise to see your posts! Sorry about the tough beginning to your cruise. Hope the rest of your cruise will be fun and smooth sailing.

I finally got my air booked. The airfare has been unreal to Fort Lauderdale. I finally caught a better ( not great ) deal sending us through Atlanta. Would you believe on 43 days to go to the Regal b2b. We are hearing some interesting rumors. I only hope they are true. On Nov.5th they are christening the ship with the original Loveboat crew being the godparents. The ceremony is invitation only. There is talk that they will be on the first of our cruises. I am not holding my breath but it would be fun. I will be anxious to hear about your travels.

Regards to Len also !

Sali