How formal is formal?

xcell

Unfortunately formal nights are not as formal as they once were. I have fallen in to the group who are not dressing up so much. Hate to admit that, but it is soooooo much easier. :eek: We even had dinner with the staff captain on formal night on our last cruise and I wore a tan sport jacket and one of my humorous ties. It was not a big deal.

As much as I used to enjoy getting dressed to the nines on formal nights, my time doing that is rapidly becoming extinct.

I just last week got off of the Jewel of the Seas. Here I am in a long formal dress with some beading on it. The man at our table wore shorts and sandals. People are not dressing up so much. People are not even trying to dress up. I was SO overdressed - yet I was FORMAL. Which is what it was supposed to be.

Just to let you know the majority of men either had suits or jacket and no tie.

Cam I wear a shirt and tie. ..No jacket? ?

You can wear what you like - would you adhering to the dress code of "formal" no. Will they let you in the MDR - maybe, maybe not or they may hand you a "loaner" jacket.

If you want room service, the buffet, Blu or a speciality restaurant - those do not require formal but you'll find that many people in Blu and specialty will be formal.

The vast majority of Celebrity's clientele will dress to the code or dine in appropriate areas.

Cam I wear a shirt and tie. ..No jacket? ?

Compared to the other cruises you have been on, Celebrity will be much more formal. I wear a Tux on formal nights. A suit is okay. If you don't want to dress up for formal nights in the Main Dining Room, you can go to an alternative restaurant or the buffet area.

Have a great cruise,

Kel:)

We were on the Celebrity Solstice earlier this month. For formal night there was a wide range of outfits. Some gentlemen did wear tuxedos, many wore suits (including me), others just shirt and ties, and some wore sport coats with no ties.

We have been on RCI and NCL and I would not say the Celebrity crowd was any more or less dressed up. We have been cruising for about a decade and there has been a steady decline in what constitutes formal wear. I also believe the cruise companies are much more lax about enforcing the dress code.

The dining room did seem less busy on formal nights during this cruise than the other cruises we have been on, but I think that has more to do with the Alaskan itinerary. Either way, if you are worried about not being dressed up enough, I would not be too concerned. I am sure whatever you pick out will be fine.

Have a great cruise.

On our last X cruise this past February, they were insisting on jackets for men on the first formal night. The second formal night was anything goes.

I felt overdressed in a sparkly top and black pants. Most of the women were in sundresses or going to church dresses.

Celebrity is much less formal in the last 10 years.

Sue

Dress code states tuxedo, dinner jacket, suit or jacket for men and nearly everyone follows the dress code

That is it in a nutshell. Jacket is the key item they re looking for be it a Dinner Jacket (white) - Tux - Suit - or Sport / Blazer

If you do not have one, they could turn you away... Or offer you a loaner (:eek: ick... Cannot even imagine wearing something that countless folks before have worn)

Does dress code require a tie?

Thank you!

As per the actual printed requirements, a tie is not a required element... Although some would argue that without a tie one is not formally dressed ... That a tie is "assumed" to be worn in such circumstances as the same way a shirt & shoes are (also not listed)

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Does dress code require a tie?

Thank you!

On the three celebrity cruises I have been on I have asked each time if a tie was required in the MDR on formal nights and on all three I was told the same think... No but a jacket is required!:)

If you want room service, the buffet, Blu or a speciality restaurant - those do not require formal but you'll find that many people in Blu and specialty will be formal.

We found this to be the case also. We did not bring "formal" clothes on our last cruise and felt under dressed in Blu on formal nights. Next month, we'll be bringing dressier clothes (no tux though)

If you do not wear a jacket you are simply just another passenger pushing the dress code rules (plenty do this). So if you ask "can I not wear a jacket" the answer is perhaps. But you would not be properly dressed for a formal night. On the other hand, from what we see these days there are an awful lot of folks who could care less how they look on formal (or other) nights.

As to Blu (we have dined there on several cruises) we have always been surprised at how well dressed the Blu crowd has been on our cruises. Even though "Smart Casual" is always allowed in Blu, we have found the dress on formal nights to be even more formal then we see in the MDR. Go figure!

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Dress code states tuxedo, dinner jacket, suit or jacket for men and nearly everyone follows the dress code

:cool: After the cruises that you have taken, you know the answer to your question. You do not want an answer, your want a confirmation from some other person that it is ok to disregard the suggested dress code, determine that you are too important to go along with your hosts wishes. I suggest that you go to Carnival or Royal and wear what you want. I have recently made the effort to escape from the "it's my vacation" crowd on Royal. I was hoping that Celeb was my escape. Please let me enjoy X for a few cruises before people like you drag it down like others have done to Royal. :cool: JACK IS SAILING AGAIN

Sorry but I don't understand the concept of anyone "feeling" overdressed or underdressed. Be comfortable in your own skin and dress in the style you like as long as it's within the guidelines or current practice is my suggestion. Don't sweat what others do in either direction but enjoy the fact that they are also comfortable and happy.

Clothes, the cost of your wristwatch or how many carats of diamonds you wear do not equal class ( despite what advertisers or the De Beers corporation have conditioned you from birth to believe). Manners, open mindedness, empathy, tolerance and following guidelines do. So if it states a jacket then wear one. If your prefer a tie, a dinner jacket, a tux then that cool as well.

:cool: After the cruises that you have taken, you know the answer to your question. You do not want an answer, your want a confirmation from some other person that it is ok to disregard the suggested dress code, determine that you are too important to go along with your hosts wishes. I suggest that you go to Carnival or Royal and wear what you want. I have recently made the effort to escape from the "it's my vacation" crowd on Royal. I was hoping that Celeb was my escape. Please let me enjoy X for a few cruises before people like you drag it down like others have done to Royal. :cool: JACK IS SAILING AGAIN

Wow someone's got out of bed the wrong side today...

Some might say people with attitudes like yours should maybe head back to carnival or royal as your not welcome on the relaxed atmosphere of celebrity ships with suck a judgmental outlook on others without even knowing them...

What was wrong with the question the op asked? Yes they might have done a few cruises before but how many with celebrity?

And I guess I'm one of the people you would rather not have on celebrity as I choose not to wear a tux or even a tie on formal nights but guess what... I don't give a rats arse what others think as yes you guessed it "I paid for my holiday so I will enjoy it how I want to not you..." O and by the way like it or not I fit perfectly into the celebrity dress code... 😱