Windjammer nightmare

No one is "STARVING"... but for most of us, it signals the beginning of our long-awaited vacation. Let's be honest - the Windjammer buffet, no matter if you love it or hate it, isn't brain surgery. It's nicely prepared (by someone else!) food, plentiful options, as-much-as-you-want food! None of us eats like that in daily life. It's a novelty. :D

That's how I feel about it and pretty much the same about the food anywhere on a ship. :D I particularly love when some complain about the selections and how it's the same thing everyday. How many have those choices at home and how many grab a bagel and call it breakfast? ;):)

I don't get the junk in the Windjammer either.:confused:

Edited by iheartbda

I know I will be the only person to admit it on here but I actually like Golden Coral! :eek:

Can't say I'm a huge fan of the food quality at GC, but when traveling with three growing teenage boys I sure loved the price!:D

Especially when one had a Lobster fetish, the youngest had to have ribs and the middle guy needed two steaks to even put a dent in his appetite.

Edited by DirtyDawg

You might as well prepare your traveling companions that Carnival will be no better on boardng day! If people would eat and LEAVE it would help the problem a little bit, but once people snag a table they feel they have the right to just sit there......which they sometimes do until the rooms open up!...:eek:

This has been the same experience on every cruise I have every been on, no matter which cruiseline.

We try to find another eating option during that time.

I haven't experienced it to this extent before. I was shocked.

Yeah, those first few hours of the cruise are my least favorite part of cruising (okay, maybe second-to-least, after having to pack up at the end). First, dealing with the crowds at the buffet, and then just having a few hours to kill before the muster drill, but not enough time to really relax and feel like your vacation has started. It didn’t even occur to me to go to Promenade Café or Sorrentino’s for lunch that first day on Independence- next time I’m on Royal, I’ll have to remember that there are other options.

Last year, we took HAL to Alaska, and even though it was our first time on HAL, we had 1-star Mariner status, due to previous Carnival cruises. I knew from Cruise Critic that HAL serves lunch in the MDR on embarkation day, but only to Mariners, and if your sailing has a high proportion of Mariners, they sometimes limit it to a certain level, like only 3-Star Mariners or higher. But on our trip, it was open to all Mariners even us lowly 1-stars with zero nights sailed! So, we headed straight to the MDR as soon as it opened, and had a nice, quiet sit-down lunch. It was a relaxing way to start a great cruise.

They finally opened up Chops Grill for more space.

Can someone help out a RCI Newb, boarding Oasis 11:45ish, Windjammer will be nuts I am sure. Do they find you a table and/or serve you drinks?

I love my lunch Diet Coke (soda sticker already paid for), is there a soda machine in the Park Cafe?

Debating between lunch at Sabor, Park Cafe, or Windjammer.

At Park Cafe there is a guy in there who will give you a glass of diet pepsi.

There are 2 soda machines on deck 5 next to Sorrentos, 2 on 16 in Windjammer, and one in the video arcade. Pretty dure that is on 15.

A lot of times they were out of ice but the soda was pretty cold and our weather wasnt real hot so it wasnt bad.

Bill

I'm sorry you feel that there is "junk" there. I always manage to eat healthy in the WJ and on 2 cruises, I have actually lost weight. :)

Oh, I've found healthy items at the WJ, and I always enjoy a few meals there during the cruise. However, my point keeps going back to embarkation day. A lot of people walk on the ship STARVING, and they go straight to the WJ, stand in long lines, fight the crowds, and pile their plates with whatever they can find.

IMHO, it's different to leisurely visit the WJ during one of the least busy times during the cruise and get to sample a few things, than to visit the WJ during one of the busiest and most hectic times during the cruise, and to do so completely starving. Two different experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

Isnt the WJ in the stern of the Freedom class ?

OK, facing out aft. The waterview is what I was going for to describe what I was talking about (where the staff were/where the line was).

We can blame it all on rowing in college. I was the bow seat, which meant I was "in back" because that's how you face when rowing Crew. (of course, I got to the finish line before anyone else in my boat, but still, I was "in back") You woudn't believe the mental gymnastics I have to do to remember which way is starboard, because to me starboard means my left arm because the oar was in the water on my left side. It's all backwards to me.

So just go with "looking out at the water".

I know I will be the only person to admit it on here but I actually like Golden Coral! :eek:

I too like the Golden Coral...Home Town Buffet...or any buffet for that matter...

We have cruised for many years with RCI and eat most all our meals in the WJ...we especially like it in the evenings..low lights and not as many people...

But it is amusing at how many on these boards down grade the WJ but their probably the ones that head there for more desserts after their MDR/MTD ;)

No, there is no machine in park cafe. Also, because you bought in advance, the cup (which you need to activate the machine) will be waiting in your stateroom which you won't have access to until 1pm. You can still get a diet coke from any bar by showing them your pass so just stop somewhere on your way. i'm uncertain whether the trellis bar in central park is open at that time. I love park cafe and definitely recommend it for lunch the first day :)

Thanks for the info!

IMHO, it's different to leisurely visit the WJ during one of the least busy times during the cruise and get to sample a few things, than to visit the WJ during one of the busiest and most hectic times during the cruise, and to do so completely starving. Two different experiences.

Absolutely!

On embarkation day, the Windjammer is packed for several reasons:

- People don't yet have access to their rooms, so they have their carry-on items along with them.

- With the rooms not yet open, everyone is out in the public spaces, making for a larger crowd.

- People haven't yet figured out where everything is located in the Windjammer, so they're wandering around.

The only other time we've found the Windjammer packed is on island stop mornings, when everyone's trying to get breakfast before disembarking. The rest of the time, the Windjammer may be doing a brisk business, but finding a table for your group isn't really an issue.

I really have no Problem with the Windjammer on embarkation day and I have my lunch there every single time.

I usually board early and will be one of the first in Windjammer, so no Problem with crowds at all, when I´m finished with my leisurely lunch it´s almost time to head to the cabin and I make room for those coming onboard later on.

Twice on the Allure we were in the first group to board after the B2B-ers (suite).

We went to the WJ, got our table, enjoyed a light lunch (too excited to eat). Just getting crowded.

Left found our Crown loft suite ready before noon.

Dropped off our carryons.

Booked our next cruise.

Fixed our sea pass cards (twice) thru customer service.

Explored the ship.

Only some crowded elevators.

Enjoy

Unless you get there late it is not too painful.

Sea Ya

Problem lies with those lingering long after they have eaten. RCCL needs to somehow encourage people to use other areas of the ship after eating.

Be considerate of people wandering around with their food and ask them to join you.

If you have finished your food, please vacate the table. You can drink your coffee, soda, etc. elsewhere.

Edited by Bookish Angel

Absolutely!

On embarkation day, the Windjammer is packed for several reasons:

- People don't yet have access to their rooms, so they have their carry-on items along with them.

- With the rooms not yet open, everyone is out in the public spaces, making for a larger crowd.

- People haven't yet figured out where everything is located in the Windjammer, so they're wandering around.

The only other time we've found the Windjammer packed is on island stop mornings, when everyone's trying to get breakfast before disembarking. The rest of the time, the Windjammer may be doing a brisk business, but finding a table for your group isn't really an issue.

The WJ on embarkation day would be a lot easier to manage if people ONLY had carry-on luggage. Some people believe carry on luggage is full size suitcases and that shouldn't be allowed to be carried on board.

The Windjammer can be annoying at certain times. On port days finding an empty table for an 8:30 breakfast can be a real challenge, almost as bad as lunch on Day 1. At these times you realize that you are on a mass market cruise line. My personal opinion is the Windjammer is undersized on RCCL ships

OMY so true. I've seen a couple on one cruise a family of 5 on another not check any of their bags. That's a lot of luggage to lug around.

I know some people are worried about their bags and want to bring them instead of checking them. Those same people should realize you have to move them everywhere. No one on board is going to take them from you.

OP mentioned taking laps with luggage - I suspect OP didn't check any bags and not sure why that was an issue.

OP - Freedom -- there are a lot of options for dining other than WJ. Sure it's nice nice to get a full buffet but if it's that packed head off, explore the ship, grab a pizza.

Any luggage that you bring on board has to fit through the scanner (similar to the ones at the airport) before you actually get on the ship. That family of 5 must have have had a boatload (pun intended!) of carry-on sized bags. :)

I'm surprised.

We really love the Windjammer for breakfast and lunch because of the wide variety of foods available, which I can select in any combination or quantity that I want. We've always been pleased with the quality, temperature and variety.

With the exception of embarkation lunch, we've never found it so busy that we had trouble selecting food at the various stations/islands, or had trouble finding seats, even at prime dining times. For us, the "secret" is walking all the way towards the back to find available seats. Sometimes one of us has to sit at the table while the other chooses food, and then we switch off, but that's not a problem.

At embarkation time, the "secret" is to arrive before 12noon or after 1:30pm. The main issue is that people remain at the table after dining to wait for the rooms to be available instead of turning over the table and waiting elsewhere.

We found the WJ to be particularly spacious and to have even wider variety of choices on Quantum!

Not to mention that if someone hasn't been on a cruise before, the natural inclination is to follow the crowds... go to where you've been told to go... the Cruise Compass we are all handed at the pier tells us to go to the Windjammer. Many first-timers don't know you can go to the other venues (depending on the ship). :)

What other restaurants are open on the AOS on embarkation day?? We have cruised a few times on NCL and they have a dining room open in addition to the buffet on embarkation day. Everyone is told to go the buffet, leaving the dining room empty and quiet!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What other restaurants are open on the AOS on embarkation day?? We have cruised a few times on NCL and they have a dining room open in addition to the buffet on embarkation day. Everyone is told to go the buffet, leaving the dining room empty and quiet!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AOS = Adventure or Allure or Anthem?