Windjammer nightmare

LOL....Have your friends been to the buffet on a Carnival ship on embarkation day? From a Platinum Carnival cruiser, believe me it's just as bad if not worse. That's the #1 reason why I stopped arriving at the port until cabins are ready.

I can check in faster (usually lines are non existent later), board the ship, go straight to my cabin and drop my carry ons, unwind for a bit and THEN go grab a bite to eat, usually at an alternative venue. This is a MUCH better start to the cruise than doing the starving mad dash with bags in tow to the buffet at the same time as 2-3,000 other people with the same dumb idea.

Last time we sailed on Royal (this past summer) we bypassed the Windjammer and went straight to the Park Cafe. We had a choice of quiet tables right by the windows, no lines to get food, and best of all, the fresh made to order salads, soups, and creative paninis were a healthier and much more enjoyable option to start the cruise than piling up a plate with junk at the Windjammer a la Golden Corral.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes-we have. Never seen this before - luggage or no luggage...appetite or no appetite. Timed to perfection or not...NEVER seen it. This ship is simply NOT EQUIPPED to seat passengers comfortably in most indoor venues...period...except at dinner. Cafe...fighting for chairs...olive or twist-same...game show last night...standing up (left)...windjammer remained a challenge...among other things...back to Carnival se go.

Yes-we have. Never seen this before - back to Carnival se go.

Enjoy your future Carnival cruises. Although they get some heat and negativity, they do deliver a good product for the money.

With that said, go with realistic expectations and expect the "boarding buffet nightmare" sooner or later. With every ship in the Carnival fleet with a worse space to passenger ratio, you're bound to have a similar experience at some point in time if you cruise enough times.

We always have either a big breakfast or lunch near the port before we board. The WJ on embarkation day is way too much of a buzz kill for us....if the cabins are open, we drop off our carry ons in....if our luggage is there then we unpack (if we feel like it!!!). We then head on out to find our soon to be favourite pool or solarium bar to have a bevvy and chill! Gotta wait for that muster drill.....that is a total buzz kill but a necessary one!

Lynda

:rolleyes:

We always have either a big breakfast or lunch near the port before we board. The WJ on embarkation day is way too much of a buzz kill for us....if the cabins are open, we drop off our carry ons in....if our luggage is there then we unpack (if we feel like it!!!). We then head on out to find our soon to be favourite pool or solarium bar to have a bevvy and chill! Gotta wait for that muster drill.....that is a total buzz kill but a necessary one!

Lynda

:rolleyes:

I have to say I don't consider the WJ on embarkation day a buzz kill, actually the opposite. I love to get to WJ about noon, since we generally make sure we board early (from Port Everglades or Miami, we are just a short drive away). Get a nice table, DH and I take turns going to get our lunch.....those that have been on our Roll Call, know that I will be wearing a red brimmed hat. Many of them stop by and chat.....then it is off to cabin to drop off carryons, and then find a spot at the pool to watch those coming onboard with amazement at what they see. The newbies are the best, as they spin around to look at what is above -- the more seasoned cruisers are either looking for others they are travelling with or doing a bee-line to a bar.

It is fun. Then Muster Drill, a necessity -- now this is a buzz kill. My fun has to take a break.

I have to say I don't consider the WJ on embarkation day a buzz kill, actually the opposite. I love to get to WJ about noon, since we generally make sure we board early (from Port Everglades or Miami, we are just a short drive away). Get a nice table, DH and I take turns going to get our lunch.....those that have been on our Roll Call, know that I will be wearing a red brimmed hat. Many of them stop by and chat.....then it is off to cabin to drop off carryons, and then find a spot at the pool to watch those coming onboard with amazement at what they see. The newbies are the best, as they spin around to look at what is above -- the more seasoned cruisers are either looking for others they are travelling with or doing a bee-line to a bar.

It is fun. Then Muster Drill, a necessity -- now this is a buzz kill. My fun has to take a break.

Muster doesn't have to be a "buzz kill" just off Jewel in October and our muster station was the Schooner Bar...we didn't even have to leave our seats :D

ITs really bad on board day. No matter what ship you are on. Luckly I don't have a roller for my carry on I have a bag with a strap. I just try not to let the crowds bother me. Normally DW and I find a table and save each other one seat, then she gets we get our food one at a time. a lot easier that way

Muster doesn't have to be a "buzz kill" just off Jewel in October and our muster station was the Schooner Bar...we didn't even have to leave our seats :D

When we cruised on Jewel for our S. Caribbean cruise from San Juan, PR, the muster drill wasn't a buzz killer. We did muster at around 5pm, and the ship did not sail until 8:30pm. We had time to enjoy the DL then go to early seating for dinner, then enjoy the Sail Away and off to other evening activities. Back then in 2013 they did a 2nd muster drill for the late arrivers, right before sail away.....that was weird.

Still fighting bad taste in the mouth of travelling companions after absolute MADHOUSE on boarding day in the windjammer. Wayyyyyyy too crowded and not near enough seating. I'm talking 5 laps around with luggage. Am I missing something? Sea days interior spaces...same thing. Freedom of the Seas. These guys are looking for Carnival now. More space per person!

we skip it entirely and head to Park cafe or elsewhere. we have a BIG breakfast before boarding to tide us over.

I never felt crowded on sea days even on GR and EN, the two smallest ships in the fleet. plenty of unused space to tuck away and read in or whatever. even in crappy weather

The Windjammer can be annoying at certain times. On port days finding an empty table for an 8:30 breakfast can be a real challenge, almost as bad as lunch on Day 1. At these times you realize that you are on a mass market cruise line. My personal opinion is the Windjammer is undersized on RCCL ships

This is my point, exactly.

That's the #1 reason why I stopped arriving at the port until cabins are ready.

I can check in faster (usually lines are non existent later), board the ship, go straight to my cabin and drop my carry ons, unwind for a bit and THEN go grab a bite to eat, usually at an alternative venue. This is a MUCH better start to the cruise than doing the starving mad dash with bags in tow to the buffet at the same time as 2-3,000 other people with the same dumb idea.

This logic is a little flawed....IF as you infer that a throng of people all arrive at the same time (AKA known as "at the same time as 2-3,000 other people with the same dumb idea") it would then mean that more than half and in some cases (depending upon the ship) all of the passengers arrived at the WJ at the exact same moment....therefore very few or no additional passengers would be arriving....and we all know that they saunter in throughout the afternoon and as close to the muster drill as they often can.

This logic is a little flawed.....

My logic is not an exact science, but somehow, it seems to work pretty flawlessly! :D

• 1 month later...

All boarding days are somewhat chaotic.

BUT it also depends which region you are departing from. Before we had kids I as comfy flying - so we solely left from every port in the country OTHER than NJ/NY. Since the last 5 years, because it's an easy drive, we've solely used NJ/NY.

More pushing, more shoving, less manners, less people holding doors, etc.

Still fighting bad taste in the mouth of travelling companions after absolute MADHOUSE on boarding day in the windjammer. Wayyyyyyy too crowded and not near enough seating. I'm talking 5 laps around with luggage. Am I missing something? Sea days interior spaces...same thing. Freedom of the Seas. These guys are looking for Carnival now. More space per person!

Wayyyyy to crowded because you and people like you are all going to stuff your faces with buffet left over from last sailing,calm down plenty of grub left for the rest of your cruise:)

We arrive for check-in early and never have a problem even on our Freedom cruise last year. You can't just look for a table for just you. If we see only see a table with two people with four chairs we ask if anyone is sitting there and if no we sit down. For future Freedom cruisers go to the front by the bar at the entrance and will usually find plenty of seats up there. That is where we usually sat each day without a problem! :cool:

Yup us too, but many AMERICANS will not do this, and YES, people have said no, friends coming, but they never show up. LOL, JERKS everywhere.

Call me crazy, but we LOVE the crowded chaos that is the Windjammer from 11:30-1:30pm on embarkation day.

Sure, we have had a hard time finding a seat. Once, we even had to ask a couple who were sitting at a large table (booth) if we could share their space - it was fun.

But.. there is something about those first few hours where 99% of the people are HAPPY and EXCITED to be there. Everyone is anticipating a fun cruise, and a nice vacation. Smiles are everywhere. Those who do not appreciate this, or who find cruising more routine, will usually avoid the WJ at this time, so it's a win-win-win :)

Once I get a dozen or so cruises under my belt, I may very well avoid that area, or board later. But for now? Bring it on! Let me see those kids faces as they see the WJ for the first time. Let me see those couples faces who are together on vacation - who would not want to be anywhere else. I love it.

Call me crazy, but we LOVE the crowded chaos that is the Windjammer from 11:30-1:30pm on embarkation day.

Sure, we have had a hard time finding a seat. Once, we even had to ask a couple who were sitting at a large table (booth) if we could share their space - it was fun.

But.. there is something about those first few hours where 99% of the people are HAPPY and EXCITED to be there. Everyone is anticipating a fun cruise, and a nice vacation. Smiles are everywhere. Those who do not appreciate this, or who find cruising more routine, will usually avoid the WJ at this time, so it's a win-win-win :)

Once I get a dozen or so cruises under my belt, I may very well avoid that area, or board later. But for now? Bring it on! Let me see those kids faces as they see the WJ for the first time. Let me see those couples faces who are together on vacation - who would not want to be anywhere else. I love it.

Crazy!

Problem lies with those lingering long after they have eaten. RCCL needs to somehow encourage people to use other areas of the ship after eating.

I know that on Freedom OTS and some other RCI ships the Windjammer manager makes frequent announcements regarding making room for new arrivals. There are always the discourtious few who regard the WJ as their private card playing / gathering venue ;)

Crazy!

I second that.:D

I hate boarding early, been there, done that. Way too many people crowded into the Windjammer. Then after you have lunch with 2,000 of your new friends, which feels more like a giant game of Twister than a relaxing lunch, you get to squish together again that very afternoon at the Muster Drill.:rolleyes:

No wonder the cruise lines make so much money off of booze. After those many hours of togetherness on embarkation day Carry Nation herself would need a drink!

We are a group of 12 ranging from age 4 to 90. My mom (age 90) will be arriving separately by bus and we need to have a meeting place on board.

So we plan to grab some seats outside Vintages (Central Park) and grab some sandwiches and/or salads from Park Café for a quick snack for all. We should be comfy waiting there while kids and grandkids explore the ship and we guard their carryons.

Once Vintages starts serving, we should be even more comfy while we wait for rooms to open and elevators to lighten up a little.

Is there a flaw in this plan?

We always board early but always avoid the feeding frenzy in the Windjammer. We're not big on buffets anyway. We always eat breakfast at the hotel before heading over to the port. Once on the ship we do some exploring, buy a drink to toaste the start of a fun Cruise and take some pictures until our cabin is ready.