Which year will Celebrity go all inclusive?

Ex-Airbalancer

It looks like Celebrity wants to go all-inclusive with their packages , which Year do you think they'll do it?

I would sure hate to be a TRavel agent and try to keep up with all the promos they have

Hi AIRBALANCER,

Great topic.

Personally, I think they will stay the course they are for a bit longer... Cause right now they have the best of both worlds.

They offer AI Pkgs here in Canada to the Caribbean (Celebrity Canada Charters) - various Promos for a good portion of their other cruises IF you book early - and competitive pricing for all other cruises (with add ons if you want them). And of course come April they have the NEW Suites Class which will be All Inclusive (but AT A PRICE)

So I think they have the market smartly covered.

The wealthier sign up for a suite - the large middle group who have regular jobs, limited time off (and perhaps kids) sign up under for the various Promos (often months if not years in advance) - and those with more time like Seniors... But perhaps less disposable / fixed income hop on the last minute deals without all the extra bells & whistles, and just pay for what they truly want / need

And voila... The ships sail full... With Celebrity making good money on EVERY Cabin without having to really sell themselves short anywhere in the process

Seems to be working well for them... And their Stockholders !!

(and we must not forget 2 new ships on the drawing table for a company that just finished rolling out 5 new builds in 5 years )

I agree that all the Promos that come, go, overlap or repeat are a lot... But a good TA should be able to figure it all out.

Heck there are many of us here on CC who have (and watch for our potential bookings or monitor those we already have) and I would say that only a few here work in the Travel Industry from what I've read.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

It looks like Celebrity wants to go all-inclusive with their packages , which Year do you think they'll do it?

I would sure hate to be a TRavel agent and try to keep up with all the promos they have

Hi Mark:

I hope they don't go all inclusive, and I don't think they will. What I wish they WOULD do is have a permanent all-inclusive option, so people wouldn't have to worry about an endless stream of similar-but-different promotions...and when they will start and end...and what options each promotion includes. It gives me such a headache.

But I think it is good to let people have a choice whether to go all-inclusive or not. Many people like having the all-inclusive package, but some people don't drink enough to make the full-on all-inclusive package worth while for them.

Everyone should be paying gratuities, so the built-in "complimentary gratuities" makes sense, and I am fine with that aspect of "all-inclusive".

They could offer two full all-inclusive options (classic and premium alcohol), a non-alcoholic inclusive option, and an a la carte option, where you get the basics that have always been provided, but you pay as you order for any extra-charge beverages.

Specialty restaurant options or packages would have to remain separate, or things would just get too complicated. It would be interesting to see how Celebrity would price a really all-inclusive option....as in, if we offer it, it is included, any beverage, any restaurant, any time. :):):)

Edited by elena7seas

They never will. To become all inclusive they will have to raise their prices substantially to cover all the lost revenue they now earn from drinks, specialty dining, etc. In a very competitive industry, that will drive many customers away, including me. I have no desire to pay more for a cruise so John Doe and his wife can consume alcoholic drinks all day. And I have no interest in paying for things I won't be using.

Their current business model is just fine.

Hi Everyone,

While I strongly hope it never happens, I suspect Celebrity may eventually go "more inclusive", (not "all inclusive"), by including items such as alcohol, soft drinks and gratuities.

As we rarely drink alcoholic beverages, I'd rather not have a price increase, to include this. Let's face it, there's no free lunch, and if they go more inclusive, expect prices to increase significantly.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd rather Celebrity stay with their current system, via sales promos like 123 GO. I'd rather pay extra for items we'll enjoy, and customize our vacation as we please.

Hmm, so all inclusive would mean all alcohol, all restaurants, all spa services, all excursions, all on ship tours, internet, tips, and a partridge in a pear tree. Yes that would cost a pretty penny.

Lol, ya it is called SUITE CLASS... And rolls out in April :D

The Elves at Celebrity have been busy getting ready.

Cheers!

Hi Everyone,

While I strongly hope it never happens, I suspect Celebrity may eventually go "more inclusive", (not "all inclusive"), by including items such as alcohol, soft drinks and gratuities.

As we rarely drink alcoholic beverages, I'd rather not have a price increase, to include this. Let's face it, there's no free lunch, and if they go more inclusive, expect prices to increase significantly.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd rather Celebrity stay with their current system, via sales promos like 123 GO. I'd rather pay extra for items we'll enjoy, and customize our vacation as we please.

Agree!!!!!

...The wealthier sign up for a suite - the large middle group who have regular jobs, limited time off (and perhaps kids) sign up under for the various Promos (often months if not years in advance) - and those with more time like Seniors... But perhaps less disposable / fixed income hop on the last minute deals without all the extra bells & whistles, and just pay for what they truly want / need

And voila... The ships sail full... With Celebrity making good money on EVERY Cabin without having to really sell themselves short anywhere in the process...

I totally agree with the first paragraph I have quoted, but I'm unconvinced that they make "good money on EVERY Cabin". If you knock out RCCL's (the parent corporation) on-board revenue and listed on-board expenses the corporation shows a $1.2 Billion shortfall. That shortfall is more than covered by on-board revenue over listed expense, and the corporation shows a healthy profit. Some of those people with last minute deals are NOT spending enough on-board to cover their share of the shortfall, and that particular cabin is not profitable by itself. Of course the amount paid for the last minute deal is more money than would have been seen if the cabin sailed empty. It is true that RCCL 10-K report does not show income and expense by individual lines, but I think that Celebrity would follow the general numbers. Note that Azamara is pretty inclusive, so it would probably not follow the general numbers.

FWIW I do NOT want X to go more inclusive.

Thom

It does seem that there is always a promotion that will get you at least one perk, and in many cases, all three. My question is, if they start including drinks and gratuities, how much different will they be from Azamara? Now granted, Azamara has lots of little inclusions that Celebrity still charges for (fitness classes, computer classes, etc.) but overall, the inclusion of drinks and gratuities makes the playing field more level. If you're not cruising for a small-ship experience and don't care that much about the unique ports that smaller ships can have, there is little reason, in my opinion, to sail Azamara, considering that their prices are still much higher than Celebrity's. For a 7 night Greek island cruise in a balcony, Azamara's prices are double that of Celebrity's for very similar itineraries. Although Azamara service is great, I find Celebrity's service excellent as well. Entertainment options on Celebrity are much better, the Celebrity's ships are newer and brighter, and the cabins more comfortable.

I'm pretty sure Celebrity will not go all-inclusive for the simple reason that it might just put Azamara out of business to do so, unless they get some new builds that are still small enough to reach unique ports, but large enough to offer more comfort and entertainment.

I prefer not being all inclusive. I don 't drink. Included drinks is not for me. My last cruise was Azamara which included drinks. Not a good choice for me. I liked Azamara in its old versions before included drinks. Azamara fares have gone way up. Fares include the cost of those drinks, tips, etc. Higher fares change the people who book. Azamara cruisers are old. I would hate to see Celebrity become another Azamara. I like the mix of ages on Celebrity. I enjoy taking Celebrity cruises with my kids/grandkids.

Personally, I think they will stay the course they are for a bit longer... Cause right now they have the best of both worlds.

They offer AI Pkgs here in Canada to the Caribbean (Celebrity Canada Charters) - various Promos for a good portion of their other cruises IF you book early - and competitive pricing for all other cruises (with add ons if you want them). And of course come April they have the NEW Suites Class which will be All Inclusive (but AT A PRICE)

So I think they have the market smartly covered.

The wealthier sign up for a suite - the large middle group who have regular jobs, limited time off (and perhaps kids) sign up under for the various Promos (often months if not years in advance) - and those with more time like Seniors... But perhaps less disposable / fixed income hop on the last minute deals without all the extra bells & whistles, and just pay for what they truly want / need

And voila... The ships sail full... With Celebrity making good money on EVERY Cabin without having to really sell themselves short anywhere in the process

Good summary!

We enjoy a drink or 2 0r more on a cruise but have never purchased a classic or premium package and have always saved by not doing so. I do hope that Celebrity don't do AI - as someone else has said, 'there is no such thing as a free lunch' - you always pay for your 'perks' !

Hmm, so all inclusive would mean all alcohol, all restaurants, all spa services, all excursions, all on ship tours, internet, tips, and a partridge in a pear tree. Yes that would cost a pretty penny.

Exactly, so just can't see X ever doing a Totally All Inclusive.

LuLu

Exactly, so just can't see X ever doing a Totally All Inclusive.

LuLu

Inclusive for everything??:eek: Gawd, I hope not.....for everthing offered

on the ship? Spa, food, drinks, photos, etc ....and passengers would

have to pay a certain amount for EVERYTHING? No thanks.....I don't

use the spa or buy any pictures now.....I wouldn't want to have to

pay for them........just like folks who don't drink.....they wouldn't want

to have to pay for booze........

I probably wouldn't be able to sail with Celebrity if they go AI.....:eek:

You think the entire fleet is going AI in 4 years?:eek::confused::rolleyes:.....Gawd I hope

not:mad:.......talk about pricing some of us out of our budgets.....if they do,

I doubt I would even be able to afford Celebrity at that point.

No thanks!:(

I think they're iterating closer and closer to where they want to be--a large bulk of the ship being "mostly inclusive" with a drink package, gratuities, etc., but still opportunities for passengers who don't want to pay for those perks to find reduced rates or take other promotions.

They've already effectively priced themselves this way. They can't take away the perks and justify their current prices.