Please check your credit card statements- cards compromised

I have heard from 8 friends in the last few hours whose credit cards have been compromised and they have all booked through a huge well known US Travel Company (sadly due to CC rules I cannot name) but if you recently had an email saying there was an possible credit card issue with the company then you will know who they are.

This affects US clients and those from UK who use this US company.

With UK clients it appears a small charge with a UK based company is put through first then when it is not challenged then a much much bigger charge is put through, for example flights with United Airlines or Limo company.

Please please check your statements asap.

My card was compromised and I wasn't even on a cruise...those damn hackers are getting good, aren't they? It can, and does, happen everywhere and anywhere. It's not just a cruise thing.

As you say it is NOT just a cruise thing. Before everyone blames a national travel agency....it was announced that a huge health insurance agency had been hacked into and personal data was compromised -- so it could be coming from various places.

It has affected more than just BofA accounts as well. Let's not be pointing an inaccurate finger, or a finger at all.

As you say it is NOT just a cruise thing. Before everyone blames a national travel agency....it was announced that a huge health insurance agency had been hacked into and personal data was compromised -- so it could be coming from various places.

Although worse in some respects, the "huge health insurance agency" (Anthem) data breach did not involve credit card info

Although worse in some respects, the "huge health insurance agency" (Anthem) data breach did not involve credit card info

Who really knows that...since everything is connected. If you pay for prescriptions through a mail order pharmacy through your health insurance plan....do you really know where or how that information is stored.

Not to be an alarmist, just stating what I believe is the truth....no one does know.

Who really knows that...since everything is connected. If you pay for prescriptions through a mail order pharmacy through your health insurance plan....do you really know where or how that information is stored.

Not to be an alarmist, just stating what I believe is the truth....no one does know.

Just because you believe something to be true without any information whatsoever other than what's in your own mind, that does not make it so. Anthem reported on all the information that is at risk: Social Security numbers, names, addresses, DOBs, etc., but not cc numbers. In fact, the info that was hacked is much worse to you than if your cc number was hacked. Given that Anthem has reported this much worse security issue, it makes no sense whatsoever to believe that they withheld knowledge of a hack of cc info. However, even if it is illogical and nonsensical to believe that cc info was compromised, you are free to believe it anyway.:rolleyes:

I had a fraudulent charge authorized on my card last night that I noticed this morning. I haven't used this credit card with any travel agency (or even Royal Caribbean--only my upcoming cruise on Princess). I did, however, pre-book parking at Bayport in Houston on Sunday and then last night the fraud attempt for a nice Keurig from Kohl's.com.

I haven't used this specific card for any online purchases and when I called Kohl's, they provided me the order #. Looking at the order #, it shows someone else's name and address for shipping, and then my full name, address, phone number, credit card #, exp. date for the billing. It seems likely it is connected to the parking garage in Houston as they are the only ones that would have had all that info. with my card #. What concerns me more is that they also have my travel dates as you reserve for a specific week. I'm happy I have a house sitter to watch our dogs while we're away!

Fortunately, Kohl's had already rejected/cancelled the order as fraud was suspected with the shipping address. While it did appear as an authorization on my Credit Card, it will not bill. I did have B of A (not a RCI card) cancel my card and reissue a new one.

Bottom line is credit card hacking is big business. I've had my CC compromised 3 times in the past 2 years. I have fraud protection on both of my CCs, an identity theft protection, as well as anti-fraud protection with the 3 credit bureaus (due to my DW's wallet being stolen several years ago). All but the identify theft protection is free. If you just take a small amount of time, you can do a lot to protect yourself as it is pretty much expected now that cc info will be hacked on a regular basis. The key for the CC companies is to challenge the initial small charge before the big one goes thru. In my case there were telltale signs- an overseas payment of $25 through one of those services that charges your cc but pays cash on the other end; charging $75 to join an online dating service overseas (try explaining THAT to your wife). It comes with some inconvenience, like when we took our TA we had to let the cc companies know that we would be charging things in Italy, Spain, etc.

Bottom line is check your statements more than just monthly and set up anti-fraud notification with your cc company. It doesn't take a lot of time to do and you will be glad you did it.

It has affected more than just BofA accounts as well. Let's not be pointing an inaccurate finger, or a finger at all.

I don't point inaccurate fingers.

They all booked through same TA agency. They had all made payments to the agency recently.

Not all of them had received the email about -

"potential unauthorized access to your credit card information".

This was nothing to do with some US health insurance agency.

I don't point inaccurate fingers.

They all booked through same TA agency. They had all made payments to the agency recently.

Not all of them had received the email about -

"potential unauthorized access to your credit card information".

This was nothing to do with some US health insurance agency.

Well, it happened to us, and we did not book through any TA recently. I believe a lot more things are interconnected than many other people, perhaps.

Unfortunately, the new entrepreneurial business model, cc hackers, have become a huge pain in the buns for all of us, and it takes time and effort to keep your assets safe.

Credit card fraud happens every day, all over the world.

If you have been hit but not in connection with the OP then it is probably coincidence.

There is no finger pointing... inaccurate or otherwise. The facts posted seem to speak for themselves since the agency in question sent out an email suggesting possible credit card issues.

This thread should be taken for what it is... friendly advice to check your cc account if you used it recently, especially with a particular agency.

Why is it that people feel the need to jump in and chastise?

Edited by icsys

This past Sunday I was on the computer booking hotels and trains for our upcoming trip in May. I'd just finished booking a Paris hotel and the Eurostar train to London when our phone rang. It was our credit card company wanting to make sure it was actually US using the card. I was kind of shocked at the time since I've never had that happen but now that I think about it, I'm sure glad they keep an eye on stuff and follow up. We've never had our card compromised in the past and I have no problem with them calling to check. ;)

If the credit card has an RFID Chip and it's not in a RFID protective sleeve or in a home made aluminum foil sleeve one doesn't have to be using the card to have it compromised. Someone that has a pocket scanner just has to walk by you to get all the information without having pulled it out of your purse or pocket.

I'm involved in the Anthem breach. The hackers may not have gotten credit card info but they got social security numbers which is a lot worse. I'm much rather have to worry about a fraudulent charge on my Visa than a stolen identity.

If the credit card has an RFID Chip and it's not in a RFID protective sleeve or in a home made aluminum foil sleeve one doesn't have to be using the card to have it compromised. Someone that has a pocket scanner just has to walk by you to get all the information without having pulled it out of your purse or pocket.

What? I thought these new cards were supposed to be BETTER protection, not worse? FWIW, my BOA card is on the ball about being proactive and catches things ... my cap1 card is on the ball and catches things... but, I seriously wonder about my other cards.

The RF ID myth is just that Yes it's possible to get it with the scanner but it requires more than just walking past you. Of course the fear mongers that are selling you that fancy stuff want you to believe that just walking around your credit cards are going to be taken.

And if the US would actually move to chip and pin the RFID will be even safer

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The RF ID myth is just that Yes it's possible to get it with the scanner but it requires more than just walking past you. Of course the fear mongers that are selling you that fancy stuff want you to believe that just walking around your credit cards are going to be taken.

And if the US would actually move to chip and pin the RFID will be even safer

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I finally got the chip version of my RCL VISA, wy wife has had one for a couple years now. The old one was better looking though. :o

The new background is gloomy