Costa Concordia (Disaster)

GeriatricNurse

"However, he [schettino] will not actually go to jail before the end of Italy's long appeals process, which can take years after the court said he would not be imprisoned or put under house arrest until the whole appeals process is complete." http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/11/us-italy-ship-idUSKBN0LF12H20150211

"As the Costa Concordia was towed away from Giglio this summer, photographs emerged of the former captain [schettino] partying on the island of Ischia." http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/25/costa-concordia-hero-coastguard-gregorio-de-falco-italy

"However, he [schettino] will not actually go to jail before the end of Italy's long appeals process, which can take years after the court said he would not be imprisoned or put under house arrest until the whole appeals process is complete." http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/11/us-italy-ship-idUSKBN0LF12H20150211

"As the Costa Concordia was towed away from Giglio this summer, photographs emerged of the former captain [schettino] partying on the island of Ischia." http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/25/costa-concordia-hero-coastguard-gregorio-de-falco-italy

Sometimes, there is just no justice. :mad:

He should be in jail while awaiting his appeals :mad:

The Captain of the ill-fated Costa Concordia has been found guilty and sentenced to 16 years in prison! :)

But the Capt. '..fell from the ship and went ashore to supervise'. Ha!! Some Nautical Engrs. do have harsh words for the DESIGN of Mega-ships such as the CONCORDIA, ie why couldn't watertight bulkheads and Pumps below decks keep it afloat better etc. Perhaps they're lucky it went aground rather than it going down in the depths. Jail is too good for the Cap't. Locomotiveman Tom

But the Capt. '..fell from the ship and went ashore to supervise'. Ha!! Some Nautical Engrs. do have harsh words for the DESIGN of Mega-ships such as the CONCORDIA, ie why couldn't watertight bulkheads and Pumps below decks keep it afloat better etc. Perhaps they're lucky it went aground rather than it going down in the depths. Jail is too good for the Cap't. Locomotiveman Tom

If you've seen my posts on the Concordia thread over on the Costa board (same thread been going since the sinking), you'll know I have nothing but contempt for Schettino, and hope that an appeal will result in a longer sentence (this can happen in Italian courts).

However, the Concordia, as well as every other cruise ship afloat today, mega-ship or small luxury ship, is a "two compartment" ship. This means that if any two adjacent watertight compartments are breached, the ship will stay afloat, but if three adjacent compartments flood, the ship will sink. Schettino managed to breach 4 compartments, which caused downflooding into a 5th compartment. From the moment he hit the rock, there was no force on God's earth that was going to keep that ship afloat. Schettino even knew this, as the bridge voice recorder had him repeatedly asking whether 2 or 3 compartments were flooding, and saying "if its two we are okay, if its 3 we will sink".

While the evacuation systems have not been tested realistically for the mega-ships, so I have some concerns over this ability as well as the use of 300+ person lifeboats, there is nothing inherently unsafe about the design of the mega-ships, any more than any other ship afloat.

The Captain of the ill-fated Costa Concordia has been found guilty and sentenced to 16 years in prison! :)

Not enough time in my mind. Amanda Knox gets 28 1/2 years for "supposedly" killing one person. He kills 32 people and only gets 16 years. :confused:

Not enough time in my mind. Amanda Knox gets 28 1/2 years for "supposedly" killing one person. He kills 32 people and only gets 16 years. :confused:

I guess you get more time in Italy if the victim is a citizen. Foreign nationals are only "worth" a fraction of the time.

Disgusting.

I would be surprised if he spends any time in jail.

He will be at home, under 'home' arrest while he goes through years of appeals.

Italian law is very different from US law. For example, you do not see any criminal prosecutions of any of the GM staff or executives who knowingly failed to address the recent faulty ignition issues because of a the few cents of cost to modify the part.

This failure lead directly to many auto accident deaths and injuries. In Italy this would most likely have resulted in multiple criminal charges.

Edited by iancal

Amanda Knox gets 28 1/2 years for "supposedly" killing one person. He kills 32 people and only gets 16 years.
I guess you get more time in Italy if the victim is a citizen. Foreign nationals are only "worth" a fraction of the time.
No, that's not the difference between the cases.

Amanda Knox was sentenced for murder. Schettino was sentenced for the lesser crime of manslaughter. You'd expect a lower sentence for a lesser crime.

Disgusting.

I am not sure I understand your post. The victim in the Amanda Knox case was not Italian; she was British and therefore a citizen of the U.K.

I am not sure I understand your post. The victim in the Amanda Knox case was not Italian; she was British and therefore a citizen of the U.K.

My mistake. Being Canadian our coverage of the Amanda Knox case was minimal and I forgot the details. My apologies.