Bit of a blog - Britannia day visit - Sunday 8th March 2015

NorbertsNiece

Looks like a block of flats with a keel on the outside, and a hotel inside. Nowhere does she look like a ship. Am I the only one who is unimpressed?

Well I was so impressed I've booked to sail on it this July. I would never have considered sailing with P&O again until now.

Looks like a block of flats with a keel on the outside, . Nowhere does she look like a ship.

Do not like the colors on the outside, the new P&O color scheme.

Looks tacky, and very very downmarket.

Its a typical Carnival inc type of ship, and with a repaint job and slight adjustments on the inside, could move to any Carnival Brand.

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
Lynn is not a fan of tacky ships

Looks like a block of flats with a keel on the outside, and a hotel inside. Nowhere does she look like a ship. Am I the only one who is unimpressed?

No you are not. I agree - whilst it is quite stylish and contemporary and I don't exactly dislike the decor it doesn't wow me. Looks like any good mass market business hotel inside. and as you say a floating block of flats. Not for me I'm afraid - sorry Britannia fans!

But I must thank NorbertsNiece for taking the trouble to post so many photos - it is appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to post your thoughts and all the great photos Linda. It has turned into a very interesting thread. How very differently we all think about things.

Personally, I am a fan of the more traditional style, smaller ships - like Oriana & Aurora. Today's mega-size ships with four to five thousand pax don't really do it for me.

I do really like the look of the interiors of Britannia and feel that she is better looking externally than Azura/Ventura. From the side on she looks reasonably sleek but (imho) the Bow and Stern 'elevations' are pretty ugly. I'm not really keen on the British Airways-style logo on the hull either.

What I would really miss aboard Britannia is a promenade deck. I love strolling the outside prom deck with the sea just below. It really is not the same doing that up on deck 16 or whatever. I like to feel that connection with the sea - it is what cruising is all about for me.

I am sure she will be a very popular ship and I will probably try her for a shorter cruise at some time but I doubt she will wrestle my affections away from Oriana :)

What I would really miss aboard Britannia is a promenade deck. I love strolling the outside prom deck with the sea just below.

Me too, I love the connection to the sea.

I find it so relaxing, especially on a nice quiet evening.

Me and my thoughts and a glass of chilled white.

All is good in the world.

Thanks for the pictures Linda. I kept expecting to see myself!

When I boarded Brittania last Sunday it was my very first time on a cruise ship. While very impressive inside I too had that feeling of being in a hotel rather than on a ship. The cabins were beautiful but surprised by the lack of wardrobe doors.

Really glad to have had the opportunity to visit as it clarified my thoughts from all the cruise research I have been doing. For me it will be smaller ships and at least an outside cabin as the thought of a long walk to see daylight fills me with dread.

Me too, I love the connection to the sea.

I find it so relaxing, especially on a nice quiet evening.

Me and my thoughts and a glass of chilled white.

All is good in the world.

The connection to the sea is something that is important to me too and something that seems to be disregarded or overlooked more and more as far as I can see.

I very much enjoy looking at the charts that are often displayed on some ships in places like the atrium or in the corridor leading to the crows nest. I love to follow the route of the cruise and how our current position relates geographically. On our last cruise which was on Ventura I asked at reception where the chart display was on the ship as I had failed to find it and was told that there was no display and the only way to follow our progress was on the T.V. which was totally inadequate.

Seems that more and more cruise ships are becoming floating hotels and less and less like ships.

Thanks for the pictures Linda. I kept expecting to see myself!

When I boarded Brittania last Sunday it was my very first time on a cruise ship. ........ The cabins were beautiful but surprised by the lack of wardrobe doors

Without scrolling back through the pictures, I presume the wardrobes were of the " walk in" type found on many other ships. I like these as not only do the doors not rattle in inclement weather, but they don't get in the way. If my memory serves me correctly, (it was a few years back now)the wardrobe doors in the Arcadia cabins were a constant obstacle in the passage between bedroom and bathroom when in use - I will have my memory refreshed in July!

But hopefully your second visit to a cruise ship wil be to set sail on a cruise and you will be hooked!

I am trying Britannia for a 7 nighter just to see if it suits me. I do like a relaxing sit on the promenade deck just looking at the waves and spotting dolphins, flying fish etc. As such it might not be a ship for me. I will know by June!

I am trying Britannia for a 7 nighter just to see if it suits me. I do like a relaxing sit on the promenade deck just looking at the waves and spotting dolphins, flying fish etc. As such it might not be a ship for me. I will know by June!

I know a lot of people like a proper Prom Deck. However, most new ship designs are moving away from them probably because it is prime real estate for other things. I have to say though that on most cruisers I've been on the rarely seem to be many people using the prom deck.

I know a lot of people like a proper Prom Deck. However, most new ship designs are moving away from them probably because it is prime real estate for other things. I have to say though that on most cruisers I've been on the rarely seem to be many people using the prom deck.

We love the prom deck, its so much closer to the ocean. we are not sun worshippers and its the ideal place to sit and read and look out to sea. of course the cruise lines all want to build ships that have lots of retail space inside but I'm one of the few women who DO NOT go on holiday to shop.we work hard 48 weeks a year so holidays for us are for chilling. I'm sure Britannia will be well like by the majority, and I'm maybe still tempted to have a look at her, but first choice for me is the Prom deck and thankfully plenty of ships out there still have them.

I know a lot of people like a proper Prom Deck. However, most new ship designs are moving away from them probably because it is prime real estate for other things. I have to say though that on most cruisers I've been on the rarely seem to be many people using the prom deck.[/quote]

That's probably because of the design of the ships you have cruised on Kevin.

If you had sailed on the likes of more tradditional ships such as Oriana and Aurora you would perhaps recognise just how much the promenade deck is used and is appreciated. Also it just not for those seeking quiet relaxed shaded comfort rather than the sardine racks on the upper decks but for a gentle evening stroll or even to get from one end of the ship to another without the need to pass through rooms and bars.

I read somewhere that the reason for the demise of the prom deck was new regulations governing the positioning and use of lifeboats. IMO, if so, this is just an example of lazy design encouraged by the american drive to remove any connection to the sea and replace it with a floating shopping mall :rolleyes:

There are innovative solutions. apparently MSC have ordered some ships from Fincantieri which are basically a flat topped 'aircraft carrier' with the lifeboats slung under the deck. The superstructure is built on top and you have a nice promenade deck and a traditional aft swimming pool. Maybe the lifeboats are loaded via hatches in the prom deck?

google project seaside 1

Without scrolling back through the pictures, I presume the wardrobes were of the " walk in" type found on many other ships. I like these as not only do the doors not rattle in inclement weather, but they don't get in the way. If my memory serves me correctly, (it was a few years back now)the wardrobe doors in the Arcadia cabins were a constant obstacle in the passage between bedroom and bathroom when in use - I will have my memory refreshed in July!

But hopefully your second visit to a cruise ship wil be to set sail on a cruise and you will be hooked!

They were more 'stand in front of' than 'walk in' but as they were directly opposite the bathroom door which opened outwards I can see what you mean about getting in the way!

Unless I get any more free tours my next visit will indeed be a cruise as we have opted to book with Thompson for next Feb. I am hoping there won't be any inclement weather but would like to be hooked as I have spied some really interesting trips we could do for my retirement celebration :)

We finally got to do our day visit yesterday and enjoyed it very much. After reading this thread all week I thought I wasn't going to like it very much but to be fair it was better than expected. In reality a lot of the bars and lounges don't look so bland as on the pictures although I agree there is no real 'wow' factor that the other lines go for nowadays.

We did try to get pictures of the childrens facilities but it was completely locked up from both ends so nothing to see, sorry.

Some other thoughts, the theatre seemed very small for a ship this size, it barely seemed bigger than Aurora and nothing like the large galleried ones on other big ships.

The standard balcony cabins felt tiny, easily the smallest of any ship we've been on, not even room for a 2 seater sofa, just a single small chair and very narrow balconies on all the side balconies. The superior balconies are a bit better with a seating area but still felt narrow inside to me.

I too missed a promenade deck but there is a nice area towards the aft on deck 7 with a few sunbeds and a nice view of the sea.

I thought the pool/sundecks were a bit plain and boring, the retreat right at the front is a nicer area but I think I read somewhere that this will be only available for a fee. I'm surprised they have not got a covered pool.

Lunch was lovely so I'm sure the pay restaurants will be good, Sindhu and the bar along side it were beautifully done (reminded me of a Celebrity ship).

I'm not quite sure who P and O is aiming this ship at. Definitely not families, there did not seem to be much for children compared to other new ships. Most of the diehard P and O fans we spoke to didn't like it either, saying it was too big and not traditional enough.

Overall I thought it was a nice, safe ship but I didn't come away thinking we've got to book this!

Julie

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to post your thoughts and all the great photos Linda. It has turned into a very interesting thread. How very differently we all think about things.

Personally, I am a fan of the more traditional style, smaller ships - like Oriana & Aurora. Today's mega-size ships with four to five thousand pax don't really do it for me.

I do really like the look of the interiors of Britannia and feel that she is better looking externally than Azura/Ventura. From the side on she looks reasonably sleek but (imho) the Bow and Stern 'elevations' are pretty ugly. I'm not really keen on the British Airways-style logo on the hull either.

What I would really miss aboard Britannia is a promenade deck. I love strolling the outside prom deck with the sea just below. It really is not the same doing that up on deck 16 or whatever. I like to feel that connection with the sea - it is what cruising is all about for me.

I am sure she will be a very popular ship and I will probably try her for a shorter cruise at some time but I doubt she will wrestle my affections away from Oriana :)

I agree Andrew - you really should try HAL too sometime. They seem to have kept what cruising is all about to me!

The standard balcony cabins felt tiny, easily the smallest of any ship we've been on, not even room for a 2 seater sofa, just a single small chair and very narrow balconies on all the side balconies. The superior balconies are a bit better with a seating area but still felt narrow inside to me.

I too missed a promenade deck but there is a nice area towards the aft on deck 7 with a few sunbeds and a nice view of the sea. Julie

So not just me having unrealistic expectations then. I did think things seemed quite cosy.

When we went out on the bit by the Glass House on Deck 7 there were smokers out there and it looked as if there was a fixed ash tray so I thought that must be designated for smokers and somewhere to avoid.

When we went out on the bit by the Glass House on Deck 7 there were smokers out there and it looked as if there was a fixed ash tray so I thought that must be designated for smokers and somewhere to avoid.

Surprises me that smoking outside the Glass House with it being a food area. Is there an area between the Restaurant and the outside area or just a door. I wouldn't want a table near the doors if that's all there is. Does that mean that the area outside Java is a non smoking area. :confused: