Alaska balcony vs cooler and windy weather

stromer

My soon Alaska cruise has a balcony upgrade option. I just got back from the Caribbean with a balcony and the weather was great. I have also been to Alaska in the past and the weather can be cool and windy but I have never been in a balcony. Disregarding the viewing advantge, is the cooler weather and wind a disadvantage? If it is cold and windy I might want to view the scenery from behind a glass barricade on the deck.

I am sorry if this is the second post on this topic because the first one did not seem to post properly.

Any advice on the above is appreciated,

Thanks, Rick

Having done Alaska a number of times my advice is book the balcony. Take warm gloves and a hat.......even without a balcony you might need those when out on the water on an excursion. It is easy to step in and out of the stateroom to the balcony for viewing and warming up if need be. Photos are then not taken through glass......

We spend hours on our balcony in the snow/rain/sunshine, it does not matter.

We also bring hats and gloves and warm jackets. It not meant for everyone but we love seeing all the marine life and eagles etc. Can't beat it! :)

Having done Alaska a number of times my advice is book the balcony. Take warm gloves and a hat.......even without a balcony you might need those when out on the water on an excursion. It is easy to step in and out of the stateroom to the balcony for viewing and warming up if need be. Photos are then not taken through glass......

We spend hours on our balcony in the snow/rain/sunshine, it does not matter.

We also bring hats and gloves and warm jackets. It not meant for everyone but we love seeing all the marine life and eagles etc. Can't beat it! :)

I agree wholeheartedly with both comments. We've done the Alaska cruise twice and cannot imagine not having a balcony!

My soon Alaska cruise has a balcony upgrade option. I just got back from the Caribbean with a balcony and the weather was great. I have also been to Alaska in the past and the weather can be cool and windy but I have never been in a balcony. Disregarding the viewing advantge, is the cooler weather and wind a disadvantage? If it is cold and windy I might want to view the scenery from behind a glass barricade on the deck.

I am sorry if this is the second post on this topic because the first one did not seem to post properly.

Any advice on the above is appreciated,

Thanks, Rick

I'm a Florida girl and think the word COLD is among the hated four letter words. That being said, I would never think of not having a balcony in Alaska. We survived (more than once), and so will you. Go for it!

Absolutely, no question. A balcony for Alaska is a must. There is so much going on outside your stateroom you don't want to miss a minute of it. We actually saw the only whale of our entire trip from our balcony and would have missed it if DH hadn't been standing out there while I was getting dressed.

If you can afford it and not sacrifice anything else important like your excursions, children's 529, your 401K, its always nice. I've sailed min-suite, balcony and inside and frankly enjoyed them all.

I had a balcony and when we did the scenic sailing, the best views and flexibility were on the open decks. Sure your private balcony is nice for stepping out in the morning and evening in your PJs or less.. Funny on our sail away from Skagway the weather went from overcast to gorgeous with amazing sunset where the temperature quickly dropped. I spent a good half our on the balcony and would say 95% of them never saw anyone come out. Lots of people but few actually enjoying that awesome view on my cruise... YMMV :D

Get the balcony! We had a covered mini suite last year on our Alaska cruise. We saw so much wildlife from our balcony that we never would have seen otherwise. So many whales, seals, seal lions, and other marine life, not to mention a grizzly bear on the way in to Glacier Bay National Park. We pulled the couch away from the wall and faced our balcony, and would sit inside in the warmth and watch for wildlife. (Not sure what cabin type you have and may not have a couch, but will still have the view!)

In doing research for our cruise I read on CC that the best viewing experiences were from the open decks, but in reality that wasn't the case for us. While viewing the glaciers in GBNP from our balcony, we heard all the noises from the glaciers (groaning, popping, hissing, and other surreal noises). When the captain turned the ship for the other side to view, we quickly ran up to the open decks to continue the experience. However, once up there, all we heard were people talking and other ship noises -- we couldn't hear much of anything from the glaciers. We couldn't wait to get back down to the solitude of our balcony! And the views were just as nice, and we didn't have to jockey for space along the open deck railings. It was great to have close access to our cold weather gear, binoculars, camera, drinks, bathroom, and other amenities. When we go back to Alaska, we will definitely get another balcony. Go for it!

Well I must be in the minority as I would say it wasnt worth it for us. We got the balcony on our Alaska cruise thinking if it got to cold we could jump inside to warm up a bit and not miss a thing...wrong...when sailing Glacier bay the ship stopped with the other side facing the main glacier and we missed all the calving!! :eek: We ended up running upstairs to catch a few photos. We had the thought of we did the balcony we should use it...come to find out we missed soo much stuff that happened up on deck, photos of you and the glacier, Libby and her dogs, a speaker that came on board to give history and info...we stayed in our balcony we missed all that. Then by the time they turned the ship so that our side was facing the glacier I was getting ready for formal dinner...so I sat there blow drying hair while trying to look out the sliding door. We liked the extra space but felt we missed so much other stuff up on deck that we would have seen, heard and expierenced if we didnt have the balcony. Next time we go we are staying with our normal room an interior so we can spend more on the excursions and get closer to some of the wildlife and glaciers.

Well I must be in the minority as I would say it wasnt worth it for us. We got the balcony on our Alaska cruise thinking if it got to cold we could jump inside to warm up a bit and not miss a thing...wrong...when sailing Glacier bay the ship stopped with the other side facing the main glacier and we missed all the calving!! :eek: We ended up running upstairs to catch a few photos. We had the thought of we did the balcony we should use it...come to find out we missed soo much stuff that happened up on deck, photos of you and the glacier, Libby and her dogs, a speaker that came on board to give history and info...we stayed in our balcony we missed all that. Then by the time they turned the ship so that our side was facing the glacier I was getting ready for formal dinner...so I sat there blow drying hair while trying to look out the sliding door. We liked the extra space but felt we missed so much other stuff up on deck that we would have seen, heard and expierenced if we didnt have the balcony. Next time we go we are staying with our normal room an interior so we can spend more on the excursions and get closer to some of the wildlife and glaciers.

This comes down to different cruising styles I think. The day we were in Glacier Bay, our visit was morning into afternoon so we didn't have a conflict with dinner time. Having said that, I would never worry about going to formal night if it meant I missed GBNP. To me the MDR isn't that big of a deal -- I can eat anywhere -- but I can't see glaciers and wildlife just anywhere. After all, that's why we came to Alaska!

We took our own photos at the glacier, and on our cruise the naturalist's narrative was broadcast over the speakers into the room so you could hear it from anywhere.

We saw a bunch of whales and other marine life just watching from the balcony while underway between ports as well. I took so many pictures of the scenery and wildlife it took me forever to sort through them all when we got home.

Bottom line, different people have different cruising styles. What is enjoyable to one person may not be enjoyable to another. I would still advise the OP to try the balcony if the price is right, and see for themselves.

I am also in the minority. We have never felt we got out money's worth with a balcony. I have done two B2Bs to Alaska in an inside cabin, and never missed the balcony. The naturalist will be on the bridge telling you where he has spotted wildlife. You can't hear him on your balcony, and chances are it will be on the other side of the ship. Much better to be out where you can move around. EM

The naturalist will be on the bridge telling you where he has spotted wildlife. You can't hear him on your balcony, and chances are it will be on the other side of the ship.

On our Golden cruise last year the naturalist's comments were broadcast from the bridge over the speaker system. We could hear him fine from our balcony. As we entered Glacier Bay National Park, the Park Service Ranger's comments were also broadcast. That's how we spotted the grizzly bear with our binoculars, using his instructions.

We also spotted several sets of whales during the naturalist's narration that he didn't announce. Not sure why....maybe he didn't see them but they were directly outside our room view. I have several pictures of them!

We are naturally outdoorsy-types anyway, and we probably dedicated much more time to wildlife viewing than the average person. Maybe that's why we enjoyed the balcony so much. Again, different strokes for different folks.

I am also in the minority. We have never felt we got out money's worth with a balcony. I have done two B2Bs to Alaska in an inside cabin, and never missed the balcony. The naturalist will be on the bridge telling you where he has spotted wildlife. You can't hear him on your balcony, and chances are it will be on the other side of the ship. Much better to be out where you can move around. EM

"Value" is totally YMMV, thus like in my earlier post comes down to if you have to give up something or cost you something else that you find more of value.

Who wouldn't one like the convenience of "view" anytime they are in the balcony. The question is "is it worth" it, only the size of your bankaccount and what you like to do can answer that. These days for better or worse I do pop the money, but agree the premium is not really"worth" it, but I still spend it. :o

But I can attest on our cruise I didn't see too many people enjoying the view from "outside" They could be taking the new Disney cruise with the fancy flat screen projection outside images IMHO :D

We are usually inside cabin people. My first two cruises I had a balcony, and it was ruined for me by smokers both times. No flames please, but I am very allergic and couldn't be out when people were smoking, which was nearly all the time. I swore I would never get a balcony again as long as smoking was allowed.

We've been very happy with inside cabins since then. I never felt like I was really missing much, and would rather spend the extra money on excursions.

This year we splurged. My poor husband has had to work a lot of weekends lately, which means he gets very little break from work... but also lots of overtime pay. Then prices dropped on the cruise I was watching and the balconies came down to a reasonable range. We are looking forward to trying a balcony again, without smokers. We will probably still spend plenty of time on the open decks, but it will be nice to have our own space when we want it. I look forward to my early-riser husband wandering over to the buffet (we are on Lido deck) and getting me coffee and pastries to enjoy on the balcony in the morning. We are from the PNW, so the weather isn't likely to bother us unless it's really stormy.

I'll still probably go back to an inside cabin next year, in order to budget for the helicopter glacier dogsled tour I'm hoping to do. Always need to make compromises!

"Value" is totally YMMV, thus like in my earlier post comes down to if you have to give up something or cost you something else that you find more of value.

Who wouldn't one like the convenience of "view" anytime they are in the balcony. The question is "is it worth" it, only the size of your bankaccount and what you like to do can answer that. These days for better or worse I do pop the money, but agree the premium is not really"worth" it, but I still spend it. :o

But I can attest on our cruise I didn't see too many people enjoying the view from "outside" They could be taking the new Disney cruise with the fancy flat screen projection outside images IMHO :D

Pure individual choice. But, I'm going to suggest one point that is never considered. Just about all the time-a balcony cabin purchase- it is associated with "affordability" and "on a budget" with the inside cabin choice. And somehow, those "poor people" have to settle on an, otherwise, inferior choice. This is not my reason for my "cheap" inside cabin cruising. I just don't want to pay for more, I'm just cheap, but also not on any budget last year spent 10 weeks in Alaska, on 7 cruises and my "bank account" did nothing but rise.

So, clearly- there is something for everyone. But a balcony isn't a must. :)

We leave in 5 days for our first trip to Alaska, onboard the Coral Princess. We booked a Caribe balcony on the port side. This may be the only time we get to see this majestic state, so we thought it was the best option for us.

I used to be an advocate for an inside room but always felt it was like hibernating in a bear's den :)

Now I at least need a good outside window at a minimum and have to admit that balconies make the cabins seem even more open. Just my opinion.

If you are the least bit clostrophobic (sp?), DO NOT DO AN INSIDE CABIN. We did a Cabin Crawl and I walked into an inside cabin, and immediately had to depart. Felt like there was no air in there.

First cruise to Alaska we did an inside guarantee and thankfully were upgraded to an Ocean View. We spent a lot of time on deck. In those days you could smoke in the cabin, so a balcony wasn't a necessity. I survived.

Then did a Pacific Northwest cruise on NCL and got a fantastic price on a Junior Suite with a balcony. Haven't looked back. If I couldn't afford a balcony, I wouldn't cruise until I could. There is just nothing to compare to standing or sitting on your balcony as the ship is sailing. I like to sit and read as the water is rolling on by. I have sat on my balcony, rain or shine.

That said, I don't do expensive excursions, I think $100 in the Med has been my most expensive excursion. I try to do a mix of independent, private vendors and ship tours, but would never pay $200 or $300 pp. And I'm not into ziplining, walking on a glacier, or flightseeing. Tundra Wilderness Tour in Denali was included in our cruisetour, but I understand it is expensive doing it on your own.

Only OP can decide what type of cruise they want, and whether a balcony will add to their enjoyment.

Ive never been to Alaska so I am not sure if one of my reasons for booking a balcony will be valid. I am a lite sleeper and I dont require nearly the amount of sleep my husband does. With the amount of daylight we will have the end of June I will enjoy being out on my balcony in my pajamas either into the wee hours of the night or the early morning before the ship "wakes up".

This is our first time to Alaska and our first balcony. We haven't been on many cruises yet, but have been told Alaska is one that most people say you need a balcony for. I'm pretty sure we're going to enjoy it more than the inside stateroom we usually book. However, we love to travel and if we were going to another destination besides Alaska, I'd book an inside stateroom. By booking an inside stateroom we'd be able to afford a second cruise with the money saved by not having a balcony.

Also remember to ask your cabin steward for some deck blankets to keep in your cabin, if they are not already provided.

That way you can bundle up and stay warm on your balcony, no matter how cold the outside temperature may be.

If you prefer to sit inside the warm cabin and still enjoy the views, you can pull a chair or couch over in front of the glass doors and sit there in comfort looking out.

Then you just slide open the door and step out whenever you want to take a photo.

But if you like to do that, don't book a very deep balcony because those give a tunnel view from the cabin, like looking out through a deep box.