Cruising with ONLY Carry On Luggage

Fogfog

We always use one 21/22” carry-on per person plus a backpack each. (Coming home from Amsterdam in April, we were told our luggage was too big! It is the type that has outside pockets and is fabric, so I think maybe it was just too fat)

I wear one pair of black slacks a lot, have thin fabric rollable tops--with a couple of sparkly ones for formal nights. I have a black long-sleeve tee shirt, that I can layer with prettier short sleeve tops. DH uses a blazer which he wears on the plane as well as formal nights. We roll everything into plastic ziplock bags. I have a bit of make-up that I take, but we use the ship shampoo, etc. I do confess we use the ship laundry for things that are not nylon or very easy-care. It’s possible to carry everything on--and easier getting off the ship.

I wear my boots and take a pair of gold sandals for evening and another pair of walking shoes that can double for daytime ship wear. Oh yes, DH takes only “Traveler” no-iron shirts. Try it--you’ll like it!

We always use one 21/22” carry-on per person plus a backpack each. (Coming home from Amsterdam in April, we were told our luggage was too big! It is the type that has outside pockets and is fabric, so I think maybe it was just too fat)

I wear one pair of black slacks a lot, have thin fabric rollable tops--with a couple of sparkly ones for formal nights. I have a black long-sleeve tee shirt, that I can layer with prettier short sleeve tops. DH uses a blazer which he wears on the plane as well as formal nights. We roll everything into plastic ziplock bags. I have a bit of make-up that I take, but we use the ship shampoo, etc. I do confess we use the ship laundry for things that are not nylon or very easy-care. It’s possible to carry everything on--and easier getting off the ship.

I wear my boots and take a pair of gold sandals for evening and another pair of walking shoes that can double for daytime ship wear. Oh yes, DH takes only “Traveler” no-iron shirts. Try it--you’ll like it!

Yes it was great. Especially that we were off the ship by 6:30am for a private tour and just flew off before the crowds and luggage warehouse.

:cool:

We always do week long cruises with carry on luggage only. I am with the poster that mentioned, a load of laundry costs less than an additional checked bag....so pack for a 7 night and just wear the same clothing on week 2. Weeding out the extra shoes is key. To eliminate the room for formal clothing, we book specialty restaurants for formal nights. This doesn't work for everyone but it does for us. With the drink packages, no need to bring water or your allotted bottles of wine. We did a 2.5 week trip on Norwegian once in carry on luggage only....no problem.

We just returned from 6 nights in Paris, 2 in Dover and a 12 night Baltic cruise - and we only packed in carry-ons. We're not averse to checking luggage - but the intricacies of the trip meant that we would need to be moving our luggage ourselves a lot, and in this case that meant carry-ons were easier (especially with my in-laws - as often one or two of us would end up toting multiple bags). We had everything from 90s in Paris to 50s and rain in Tallinn, so made sure we had layers and waterproof jackets. A couple of us could have packed more long sleeved shirts, but we managed.

We packed a lot of quick dry clothing, and tried to pack for 4-5 days worth of clothes. We hand washed a lot, though we did do a couple of loads of laundry on the ship (DCL, which has guest laundry rooms). The amount of time it took to hand-wash the clothes was minimal, and only having carry-ons was great given our flight from LHR to the US was during an issue with the luggage belts and not all the baggage made it onto the flight. At least we knew we had our bags!

We did use Space Bags (rather than the packing cubes we normally use) to try to make sure we had enough space - they worked great, but we typically don't use them in checked luggage because we've found they work so well it's easy to go over the weight limit! We did bring a luggage scale to make sure we wouldn't have any weight issues with our carry-ons - and even with all the souvenirs we ended up with (a whole suitcase worth) we still fit in our carry-ons on the way home! (I'll admit, we did leave a few things on the ship - but we'd packed some older things we knew we'd leave behind).

We're planning Alaska next summer, and I imagine carry-ons won't be sufficient. However, if we can swing it, we'll try it, as it's certainly makes things a lot easier when you don't have to manage large bags.

Yes, you can and should travel with one carry on and nothing else. It is easier, faster, liberating, and very very do-able. I have done this on every cruise, plus several trips abroad for weeks at a time visiting multiple countries.

See my posts 116-120 at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2118870&page=6

- Joel

OK

Just back from two glorious weeks on the Eclipse.

Was sooo glad to do just carry on--as we flew from the US to LHR.

At port I sent my bags through baggage to our cabin so I didn't have them at lunch. Flying with just carry ons was so much easier AND so much easier to unpack/repack.

So glad you took the plunge and enjoyed the experience! Other than the ease of traveling when using carryons we haven't had to go to baggage claim in years! That alone makes it worth our while.

So glad you had a good trip!

I've seen ladies on board the pool deck in the same swimsuit for an entire cruise. I've often wondered if they are among the carry on group and if so, do they ever wash out that swimsuit with a serious cleaner before putting it on again. Ditto for the guys.

This topic is so eww. Sorry.

OP, congratulations on your success with just a carryon! I can manage with one but normally I don't actually try to do it. I've been unlucky with checked luggage more times than I care to remember, so now I make sure my rollaboard is packed sufficiently to get me through the trip, no matter what. As my personal item, I also carry a tote bag with a trolley sleeve which slides down over the handle of the carryon. Use it for travel purse, wallet, meds, electronics, and such. Last fall, before a B2B Med & TA on the Reflection, my 25" checked bag didn't make the Miami connection (I did with exactly 10 minutes to spare), so of course it didn't arrive in Rome. In fact, it went on its own mini vacation in London. Luckily, I eventually got it. Other trips haven't had happy endings, though, which has made me a firm believer in a taking "full-service" rolling suitcase onto the plane. And agreeing with others, even with just a rollaboard, I still would be clean and smell OK. ;)

I've seen ladies on board the pool deck in the same swimsuit for an entire cruise. I've often wondered if they are among the carry on group and if so, do they ever wash out that swimsuit with a serious cleaner before putting it on again. Ditto for the guys.

Cannot speak for anyone else, but when I return to my cabin in my swimsuit (IF I've been in a pool), I will shower with my suit on, and make sure it's soapy, rinsed & clean before hanging it up to dry. :)

I certainly couldn't do it; nor would I even try. I haven't located a backpack that would accommodate my kitchen sink....

I don't fly unless I have to (ie, Texas to San Juan; no way to drive there.) Texas to FLL is less than 1100 miles; 2 days. Good enough for me.

Having done the baltics twice and being port intensive I could do daytime from carry on but I like to dress up for the evenings and that would wipe me out. I'm concerned at my 44lb allowance in the summer never mind just using carry on

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

I have the greatest respect and admiration for those of you that can travel with carry on bags only. My toiletries, cosmetics, hair brushes, hair drier, hair straighteners, sun tan creams would fill a carry on bag alone. I would struggle to do a one nighter with just a carry on! Done my packing list today for my 14 night med cruise and am taking 10 dresses,2 skirts and about a dozen tops and I think that I am travelling pretty light. Will wear some of the dresses ashore as well as the evening. Of course there are then 3 swimsuits, underwear, 6 pairs of shoes, 2 evening bags, electronics, Chargers, kindle, Boise speakers. Whoops I forgot the 3 shawls, crib board, playing cards and sun hat!!

I have the greatest respect and admiration for those of you that can travel with carry on bags only. My toiletries, cosmetics, hair brushes, hair drier, hair straighteners, sun tan creams would fill a carry on bag alone. I would struggle to do a one nighter with just a carry on! Done my packing list today for my 14 night med cruise and am taking 10 dresses,2 skirts and about a dozen tops and I think that I am travelling pretty light. Will wear some of the dresses ashore as well as the evening. Of course there are then 3 swimsuits, underwear, 6 pairs of shoes, 2 evening bags, electronics, Chargers, kindle, Boise speakers. Whoops I forgot the 3 shawls, crib board, playing cards and sun hat!!

LOL!!! Yeah, I know it is no longer the popular response it used to be; but I still use it....

I like the way you approach packing, Susie!!! I don't like to wear anything more than once. So I drive from Texas to FLL. I have plenty of suitcases, and since I mostly travel solo, I have plenty of room in my cabin.

M P T Y!!!!

My swimsuit ( & yes I only bring one) as well as Dh's goes to the ships laundry after it's worn, just like everything else we bring. Nothing "eww" about it :)

Our cruises have been cold weather trips, with very few sea days, when we took a TA, we took two swimsuits each, so one would be worn while the other was at the laundry.

Next May is a warmer weather trip, so I'll pack two of DH's older swim trunks, & probably throw them out before we pack for our post cruise land trip, but they will be going to laundry during the cruise.

Again, this style of travel is not for everyone, but it works for us.

and look good every day, even wearing the same clothes. In reality, I wish I could tell my lady LOL, but NO ONE REMEMBERS what you area wearing on the bottom. just the top, and shoes, well women maybe do worry about that but for many one light weight dressier pair will work.

Every one has some different Ideas about DRESS, look at all the nasty FORMAL posts, and everyone has different needs Cpap or specialty drugs to name a few which can change what they pack and suitcase.

We buy light weight nylon washable clothes,(well not all) that dry in a hour or two that are MDR ready LOL, and gym/tour ready also.

MOST people over pack and I guess like my lady, like to show off a bit LOL.

We now travel in a UNDER SEAT carryon note under seat. It will hold enough of every thing to last for 2-5 days if packed right including a reasonable amount of technology, and carry a purse like thing for what we need immediately(tickets phone, passport, etc. Then a a full size carry on or at most a 24 inch suit case, varies from cruise and before and after adventures. We do check the carryon, but on international flights no charge (yet) and we cross pack as well.

We always eat in the MDR and on FORMAL nights, and look better than most/many people

PS.. for men, underwear is a bigger issue than women, Men can now buy(expensive) nylon or light weight and quick dry underwear and YES I do some laundry in the sink, blue dawn works great, and I will use my free laundry service if needed.

Why would you take more than one swimsuit? That seems kind of silly. You wash it out and it is fine. Save space for clothes in your suitcase not swimsuits.

You can use shampoo as washing liquid for clothes and conditioner can be used for shaving (try it)

I like to take my own shampoo and conditioner as I have 'difficult' hair (travel size bottles) but always use the hotel/cruise shampoo to wash out a few items and use the conditioner to shave in the shower every morning.

I often wash my undies while I am in the shower as it is quick and easy with a constant flow of water. Then I lay them on a clean towel, roll it up into a sausage shape and stand on it to squeeze out excess water. When I unroll the towel the items are barely wet and usually dry in an hour or two in the sun.

Consider this..

no one you met or saw in a museum in St Peteresburg will know if you wear the same clothes (cleaned) in Stockholm...

so why be self conscious about it?

And a great "little black dress" with pearls, vs scarf, etc etc..is still a great little black dress.

At 50 yrs old --I am far less concerned about what a stranger will think about me wearing the same dress over 3 formal nights....

Loved the freedom of it all---and hope to convince DH to try it. He and our adult sons all had 1 duffle each and a carry on. They brought a lot of clothes. Some DH never wore-- ;)

Yes. Freedom is a good description!

I must say I find it both amusing and creepy that someone would check out whether I was wearing the same bathing suit from day to day. That's kind of weird and "get a life" comes to mind.