Royal Caribbean---DONT BUY EARLY

Wefly9s

This is truly no different from airline pricing. There is no way an airline will refund your money if the price drops on an already booked ticket. I'm sorry you have had this negative experience. I hope things improve! :)

Some airlines do

After all, they held my $4k for 5 months before the sailing which is what you'd think they would try to incentivize (if you're familiar with TVM you'll understand). Like conandrob240 noted, I'd be fine with paying a little more for a price guarantee and be done with it.

If you paid way earlier than final payment, that's your decision and I don't know why anyone would do that. But that has no bearing on your actual complaint about the price dropping immediately after final payment due date. they sure do know how to tick off a customer with that!

I too would welcome some sort of price protection insurance. Carnivals policy has too many restrictions for my tastes, but I do appreciate they offer the option. Other cruise lines are reported to offer a percentage of the price drop as an OBC. There are options here that Royal should look at to keep guests happy.

Offering you a Boardwalk balcony over an oceanview balcony is absurd. Boardwalks are almost always cheaper than oceanview and I can't think of any place they'd be listed as an upgrade.

To all those that say "That's just the way it is", well, grumbling and rumbling is how things can get changed.

I book early because I'm fussy about stateroom selection, we really love the aft balconies on the pre-Oasis class ships. We book the room we want at a price we can live with if the price doesn't change, and frequently check for price drops. Then we can shop air fares well ahead of the cruise. It works for us.

-- Kevin

I agree, would much rather have a good selection of cabins and be able to avoid things like being under the windjammer or pool.

This is the way it is.

There is no difference in this and other industries. When clothing is first offered, there may be a bit of an introductory sale. Then there is a period where it is full price. Maybe you can find some discounts. Then the season starts to change and then it is finally offered at clearance...then mega clearance...then super colossal clearance.

If you care about get exactly what you want in the color you want in your size...then you buy early. And if you don't care as much about certain details...then you wait for the clearance.

I've purchased early and I've purchased "on sale" not early. I don't live close enough to a port to purchase clearance. I have to travel and there are all sorts of other arrangements (excursions, etc.) that I care about as well.

My BEST purchase has been as early as possible. I had my pick of all the rooms available in my category and I just watched the prices go up and up and up. And then they were sold out. One came back and the price was ridiculous...but someone eventually bought it too.

As I said...it is what it is. I believe life has fewer frustrations if you just figure out the price you are willing to pay and then pay it and forget it so to speak. Why look at the clearance prices?

Love the comparison, Anita :)

I always book early to avoid any disappointment.

I never check the prices after that.

Only once have I cancelled and rebooked a cruise because the prices crashed down so much it was worth losing the down payment.

Wouldn't had even known about it if the whole Roll Call hadn't gone nuts about it :D

Some airlines do

If you paid way earlier than final payment, that's your decision and I don't know why anyone would do that. But that has no bearing on your actual complaint about the price dropping immediately after final payment due date. they sure do know how to tick off a customer with that!

I too would welcome some sort of price protection insurance. Carnivals policy has too many restrictions for my tastes, but I do appreciate they offer the option. Other cruise lines are reported to offer a percentage of the price drop as an OBC. There are options here that Royal should look at to keep guests happy.

Offering you a Boardwalk balcony over an oceanview balcony is absurd. Boardwalks are almost always cheaper than oceanview and I can't think of any place they'd be listed as an upgrade.

To all those that say "That's just the way it is", well, grumbling and rumbling is how things can get changed.

Except for one Carnivql program, price drops ending at final payment seems to be the industry standard now. And you personally do not like that particular Carnival program's restrictions. Interstingly, Carnival parent corporation has not to my knowledge expanded an "early saver"- like program to any of their many other lines....just one restricted program on one line (generally the low cost line, not their fancier or more expensive lines). I'd welcome such a price protection program if Royal wanted to start one; it would be a pleasant surprise. Grumbling might get things hanged in some cases....other times it is just a bunch of grumbling.

Hard to imagine being offered a boardwalk balcony as a supposed upgrade from an OV balcony. From an OV cabin, sure, but an OV balcony? Something fishy there.

Which ones?!

Never heard of this before :eek:

We fly Southwest with points. We book our airfare early and look for sales constantly and when the price drops we change the airfare and there is no fee and the price drop is returned back to your account as points. Works for us!

Which ones?!

Never heard of this before :eek:

Southwest Airlines does. The only thing I can't recall is whether the price delta is refunded or given as a credit toward future purchases. It isn't automatic and you have to call in to talk to a rep if you see a lower fare than the one you paid.

Edited to add: saw the post above...so there you go. Price delta is given as a credit toward future flights.

Edited by Anita Latte

Part of paying the higher price is the convenience of having a great selection of rooms, as well as the guarantee that you will be on the ship for that sailing. As it gets closer to sailing, the price may drop so that they fill the ship to as close to maximum capacity as possible.

It is always possible to take the chance of trying to book a last minute cruise cheaper, but it isn't always guaranteed you can get on the ship.

If I was fine with the price I paid when I booked, I'd be fine with it even after the moment I get off the ship.

Theater and airline tickets are often the same way.

I agree, we have done much better by waiting until after final payment. Back in 2010, we had booked the Oasis for December that summer. I kept watching the cabin inventory and I knew there were a good number of cabins left. I cancelled our original cabin and waited. We ended up saving about $900 so basically our son sailed for free on that one and then some. We had a great cabin location and we had a super time. I have done this a few more times since 2010 (and ended up with great cabins) and it worked out great. Once we have narrowed down the cruise or cruises we are interested in, we purchase our airfare. (Being in Ohio, we always fly) Then we just wait and watch.

We have another cruise coming up soon. I was just looking at our airfare on Southwest. There had been a price drop. I called and we each of the 5 of us have an $88 credit to use before next summer. Cha-ching! I also caught a price drop on our hotel (Hilton) a while back, so I called and we saved about $90 between 2 rooms that are booked. Winning...:D

At RC's current prices, we are definitely booking any others after final payment if we decided to sail. I'm sorry to the OP with their situation but its one of those lessons learned about cruising.

We fly Southwest with points. We book our airfare early and look for sales constantly and when the price drops we change the airfare and there is no fee and the price drop is returned back to your account as points. Works for us!

Southwest Airlines does. The only thing I can't recall is whether the price delta is refunded or given as a credit toward future purchases. It isn't automatic and you have to call in to talk to a rep if you see a lower fare than the one you paid.

Edited to add: saw the post above...so there you go. Price delta is given as a credit toward future flights.

Well of course it's a company that doesn't fly anywhere near us :D:D:D

Part of paying the higher price is the convenience of having a great selection of rooms, as well as the guarantee that you will be on the ship for that sailing. As it gets closer to sailing, the price may drop so that they fill the ship to as close to maximum capacity as possible.

It is always possible to take the chance of trying to book a last minute cruise cheaper, but it isn't always guaranteed you can get on the ship.

If I was fine with the price I paid when I booked, I'd be fine with it even after the moment I get off the ship.

Theater and airline tickets are often the same way.

Disagree. When you book very early, you get price and selection.

OP.....so sorry you were disappointed.

However, with that being said....how can you complain that they didn't do anything for you when all they did was follow their policy?

If the policy had changed after you booked I would understand your request. However, this has been the policy for several years! I'm sure one of the experts on here can give us the exact date it changed. The policy has changed over the last 5 years or so. Previously they allowed price drops up until day of sailing (allowing refund back to your credit card). Then they changed it to allow the price drops up until sailing but it was refund to credit card if price drop before final payment and then OBC if price drop was after final payment. Then several years ago they changed it to no refund in any manner after final payment. (Except for the possibility of cabin category change).

While I do miss the good old days with the price drops up until the last moment....I understand they are a business and in business to make $.

On be other hand....I am thankful that they set the price/guarantee it won't go up once I have paid the deposit and allow me to cancel and get the deposit back before final payment! Some businesses don't guarantee a price until you pay in full!

People book early to get the desired cabin and meal options (e.g. early dining). If the price drops before final payment, then Royal will refund you the difference. But if it drops after final payment, which I believe is your case, they will not refund you. I suppose you could wait and see, but staterooms do sell out. So if you're open to any type of room, then perhaps wait and see if prices drop after final payment date. Otherwise, it's good to book early and just book at a price that you'll accept to pay. If it goes down, then bonus, but if not, that's the cost.

Unless you're on a cruise that typically sells out, it makes no sense to book and pay early with RCCL. I gave them the entire fare 5 months before sailing and the day after the 75 day window for 100% cancellation refund, the price dropped 16% which equated to about $430 for us.

OP, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but like most others who have replied, I totally disagree with yours on this subject. It makes complete sense to book early. We book as soon as the itineraries become available, and have seen some cruise prices more than double between our booking date and the date of the cruise. Over the course of our last three cruises, this has equated to a savings of over $6000 between our booking price and what the prices topped out at. And we get the exact cabin we want.

As far as paying the balance of your fare five months early... why? There's not a lot of benefit to that other than getting it done and crossed off your "To Do" list.

Sorry you were disappointed in how this was handled by RC, but if you bought a tank of gas for $2.19 a gallon and were initially satisfied with that price, then the next day you saw that same station selling it for $2.09, would you be asking for a refund?

Edited by TheInnocentAge

Actually picked up on something I either forgot about, or maybe never thought of it before...we just booked Anthem and it's 8 months out, made the initial deposit....so THIS tells me to make final payment later on, just in case prices do drop:

" We are unable to adjust prices or offer onboard credit after the final payment date."

Actually picked up on something I either forgot about, or maybe never thought of it before...we just booked Anthem and it's 8 months out, made the initial deposit....so THIS tells me to make final payment later on, just in case prices do drop:

" We are unable to adjust prices or offer onboard credit after the final payment date."

Final Payment Date isn't referring to the date that you pay off your balance, it refers to the date that balance is due (usually 60 or 75 days before sail date).