Carry on luggage limit

redcruzer

Carry-on bags for airplanes are limited by the size of the carry-on bins on the planes, not the airport scanners. The scanners at almost every port are large enough to handle 28" or 29" bags or even larger. Even so, in Vancouver they used the airport sizing frame and if the bag was too large you were forced to go back to the curb and check the bag with the porters. The scanners could handle much larger bag but that was the rule at the port.

Getting ready to cruise soon! Is there a size limit to carry on luggage with Princess? Thanks

The size limit is as described, limited to what will fit into an airline style scanner. If you can lift it up to the conveyor, and are prepared to wait for an elevator, Princess does not care any further. The only issue we had is that Princess wanted to inspect the cans in DW's carryon to make sure they were not beer. (They weren't.)

I've used a Briggs & Riley expandable for at least 5 years, all over the world, principally on Southwest, American and British Airways. Except for one recent trip on American LAX to MIA, no one has asked to fit it into the sizer. On that trip, in First Class, American made me remove my computer bag and de-expand my carry-on. On the next flight, MIA to Quito, American did not care. The bag would have fit in the overhead bin fully expanded.

If, for any reason, Princess rejects your bag, remove valuables, pills, cameras, etc., and check it. On our last cruise, our bags made it to our cabin before us.

If you're an experienced cruiser and have thought this through, then I'm guessing your OK with it. If not, just an observation. We boarded a cruise this past spring behind a young couple with a young child. They were carrying on all their luggage, including stroller, etc. I felt terrible for the obviously frazzled young mother trying to manage it all. Yes, they saved a few dollars in porter fees and didn't have to wait for their luggage to be delivered to unpack, but, IMHO, it didn't seem worth it to drag all that stuff through the terminal, up the ramps to the ship, to their cabin. I know if you're traveling with young children there are things you want immediate access to, but this was clearly much more than that.

The size limit is as described, limited to what will fit into an airline style scanner.

This is not true at all, at least in Ft. Lauderdale.

Airline carry on has a pretty small size requirement, and some

international flights are smaller yet, and have a weight restriction.

In Port Everglades, things up to full size suitcases fit through the

scanner.

It's no big deal to check them in too other than a carry on with your valuable, medicines, breakable items etc.

Keith

I agree, 9 out of ten times the bags are always waiting for us, and we get on as soon as they start boarding. The one time it didn't, our "paper" tag on two suitcases came off, it was raining that morning, we had to claim them after dinner. It was the first year Princess stop sending out luggage tags. We learned really quick, on how to put the tags on.

• 10 months later...
Getting ready to cruise soon! Is there a size limit to carry on luggage with Princess? Thanks

How long, and where are you cruising to?

Carry on? No size, weight, or number of carry on's limit as long as they fit through the X Ray scanner.

Checked luggage? No size, weight or number of bags limit as long as it fits through their X Ray scanner.

62 linear inches maximum. Measure your checked luggage all around. 62 inches or less? You're good to go. :)

FWW, my 75 year old SIL brings 3 maximum size suitcases at 45-50+lbs. each, plus a carry on with her medications, and sometimes, an additional steamer trunk on her 7-10 day cruises.

Good luck. Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

How long, and where are you cruising to?

62 linear inches maximum. Measure your luggage all around. 62 inches or less? Good to go.

Do you mean around the "waist" of the bag, if the bag is standing vertically?

That sounds about right, I have a 26" hard side that fit through at Port Everglades just fine, tho there was not a lot of room to spare.

I just measured it as I described, and it was 55". This question gets asked regularly here, curious where that 62' number came from.

Carry on? No size, weight, or number of carry on's limit as long as they fit through the X Ray scanner.

Checked luggage? No size, weight or number of bags limit as long as it fits through their X Ray scanner.

62 linear inches maximum. Measure your checked luggage all around. 62 inches or less? You're good to go. :)

FWW, my 75 year old SIL brings 3 maximum size suitcases at 45-50+lbs. each, plus a carry on with her medications, and sometimes, an additional steamer trunk on her 7-10 day cruises.

At what point is that linear inches actually checked? You just said carry-ons have to fit through their scanner and checked bags have to fit through their scanner. They're not concerned with volume like an airline would be.

Do you mean around the "waist" of the bag, if the bag is standing vertically?

That sounds about right, I have a 26" hard side that fit through at Port Everglades just fine, tho there was not a lot of room to spare.

I just measured it as I described, and it was 55". This question gets asked regularly here, curious where that 62' number came from.

To clarify:

Measure the total of the height, width, and depth of the bag. If a 55" carry on fits airline carry on standard, then you can hand carry it on the ship. It will go through the cruise ships carry on security scanner.

Luggage 62" or larger will go through a security separate scanner, stored in the ship's baggage hold, and the luggage will be delivered to your stateroom by cruise staff.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Ok thanks. I'm actually asking about the size. We are trying to stay with just 2 suitcases, with the smaller of the 2 being our carry on. Don't want to get all the way up to the scanner and have them say they can't take it

If there average size suitcases 25" or 29" I don't think you will a problem. I did it once and will never do it again. That just me. Good luck.

Tony

To clarify:

Measure the total of the height, width, and depth of the bag. If a 55" carry on fits airline carry on standard, then you can hand carry it on the ship. It will go through the cruise ships carry on security scanner.

Luggage 62" or larger will go through a security separate scanner, stored in the ship's baggage hold, and the luggage will be delivered to your stateroom by cruise staff.

Cruise staff? I don't think so.

I have never seen princess quote dimensional inches anywhere.

Do you have a reference?