Email about Legionnaires

ddawson711

Sailed on Majesty Nov 2nd. My wife and I are both on cpaps that were clearly visable the whole time in the cabin. Sure would have been nice to have known about the problem so we could have gotten some distilled water rather than use the tap water. To get an email this late is ridiculous when they've known about the problem this long!

Did you use the water out of the shower head to use in your machine?

As I've stated previously, there was no positive test for legionella from any source other than showers, and the breeding of legionella in the shower heads in no way affected the water you used in your cpap from the sink tap.

Are you at risk if you took a shower while on the cruise?

As I've stated previously, there was no positive test for legionella from any source other than showers, and the breeding of legionella in the shower heads in no way affected the water you used in your cpap from the sink tap.

I can only guess that you are assuming that none of the back flow preventers in the showers failed AFTER the tests were conducted (if indeed back flow preventers are present on shower heads on this older ship)?

Are you at risk if you took a shower while on the cruise?

If your shower head was one that had tested positive.

I can only guess that you are assuming that none of the back flow preventers in the showers failed AFTER the tests were conducted (if indeed back flow preventers are present on shower heads on this older ship)?

Backflow preventers have been required on shower heads by USPH for many years, and it is the kind of thing that would be required to be retrofitted to existing ships when the requirement came into force. The backflow preventers are required to be tested annually, and are really an over-protection device. The only time a shower backflow preventer would be of much use would be when the ship had shut off the water system, drained the piping in the area of an infected shower head, someone took the shower head and held it up high enough that the head and all hose was above the fixed piping, so that any water in the shower assembly could drain back to a place that was lower. The water would have to be off for several hours to establish a viable colony in the drained pipework, mixing with air, before the water was turned back on. If the contaminated water had drained back to the water main (unlikely, since these are all in the ceiling above the cabins), as soon as the chlorinated water was restored and circulated, the bacteria would be killed. If the contaminated water had drained to the piping for the cabin, it could be directed towards the sink or toilet instead of the shower, so all water outlets for that cabin could become contaminated, but again, since drinking or washing in water contaminated with legionella will not lead to infection (it is a respiratory bacteria, it must be aerosolized), even this unlikely event (given all the conditions listed above must be met, along with a failure of the backflow preventer), would not lead to infection, and the possibility of infection using a cpap in this instance would be infinitesimal.

Like!!!

I have not felt real good since this trip, now getting this email almost a week later, wonder if indeed I do have Legionnaires disease.

Do you have ANY idea what the symptoms of Legionnaire's disease even consist of???

What a crock.... :rolleyes:

Sailed on Majesty Nov 2nd. My wife and I are both on cpaps that were clearly visable the whole time in the cabin. Sure would have been nice to have known about the problem so we could have gotten some distilled water rather than use the tap water. To get an email this late is ridiculous when they've known about the problem this long!

I'm guessing you and your wife aren't all that concerned about preserving your health in general, or you would have been using distilled water in your CPAP in the first place, as the instructions clearly tell you to do and as RCI will provide at no charge upon request. :rolleyes:

Sadly, this is the case with just about anything relating to health/medicine in this day and age.

9afdec8812f1f8e2abc38025caba923a.png

Seriously, people, do a LITTLE bit of research from a COMPETENT source before blathering on about stuff about which you have absolutely no knowledge!

Competent source examples would be the Centers for Disease Control, Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, U.S. Public Health Services, and others of that nature.

a4a027f4ddabd69981383dc9b3d67b4a.jpg

Just thought I would post about the Majesty of the Seas ...we just returned from the November 2'nd sailing from Miami and before we were able to board our transportation , still standing outside of the boat , a group of 11 passengers started receiving emails in regards to the Legionnaires disease that started in July 2015 and was confirmed on the Majesty of the Seas and also letting us know it was found in samples taken from the water used in showering. I then later in the week received a call from my travel agent asking if there were any sickness in our group for they also had received the warning from Royal Caribbean about the Legionnaires Disease that was associated with this sailing. Very disturbed as to why Royal Caribbean would go forward with sailing until this could be diminished. The Hot Tubs were not open the entire sailing stating they were closed for cleaning. We never received any form of email, call, or text from Royal Caribbean prior to sailing that there was an issue but moments from disembarking the ship to be flooded with emails of caution?!?!?! Now only to discover that the November 6'th sailing was delayed several hours due to cleaning and sanitizing the boat because it was infected with Legionnaires Disease!!

Just thought I would post about the Majesty of the Seas ...we just returned from the November 2'nd sailing from Miami and before we were able to board our transportation , still standing outside of the boat , a group of 11 passengers started receiving emails in regards to the Legionnaires disease that started in July 2015 and was confirmed on the Majesty of the Seas and also letting us know it was found in samples taken from the water used in showering. I then later in the week received a call from my travel agent asking if there were any sickness in our group for they also had received the warning from Royal Caribbean about the Legionnaires Disease that was associated with this sailing. Very disturbed as to why Royal Caribbean would go forward with sailing until this could be diminished. The Hot Tubs were not open the entire sailing stating they were closed for cleaning. We never received any form of email, call, or text from Royal Caribbean prior to sailing that there was an issue but moments from disembarking the ship to be flooded with emails of caution?!?!?! Now only to discover that the November 6'th sailing was delayed several hours due to cleaning and sanitizing the boat because it was infected with Legionnaires Disease!!

So you expected them to notify you of it before it was confirmed as being present???

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Hopefully now you know that you can get FREE distilled water from Royal. You just need to request it (should do so before the cruise).

I'm just coming back home from my three days cruise to the Bahamas. For my surprise, once back I received an e-mail from Royal Caribbean to let me know that they are working with the Center for the Disease Control and Prevention at Atlanta regarding two confirmed and one possible case of Legionnaires' disease (a serious type of pneumonia) associated with travel aboard in July and October 2015. They also informed that in recently water samples the bacteria was present!! My goodness!! These guys having the information in advance, waited until we finish our cruise to let us know. This was an ABUSE since they put in risk our most valuable possession; our life!!! These guys manipulated the information in favor of their business. They need to inform about this type of situation upfront and let the guest to take the decision if he/she wants to take the risk or not.

I'm just coming back home from my three days cruise to the Bahamas. For my surprise, once back I received an e-mail from Royal Caribbean to let me know that they are working with the Center for the Disease Control and Prevention at Atlanta regarding two confirmed and one possible case of Legionnaires' disease (a serious type of pneumonia) associated with travel aboard in July and October 2015. They also informed that in recently water samples the bacteria was present!! My goodness!! These guys having the information in advance, waited until we finish our cruise to let us know. This was an ABUSE since they put in risk our most valuable possession; our life!!! These guys manipulated the information in favor of their business. They need to inform about this type of situation upfront and let the guest to take the decision if he/she wants to take the risk or not.

Are you talking about the Majesty? Everyone on here has been talking about that problem for a couple weeks now.

Yup..I was on it for 4 days, just after they had the delayed boarding for the 3 day cruise on Nov 6th to do the big cleaning out.

CDC was involved from what I gathered by the notice I received in my room.

I am not worried at all..if there was a problem, I am sure it would have been addressed. Its been taken care of, chances are slim to none of getting it and if you do it's very treatable.

I think that $25 OBC for those people who lost almost the 1st day of a 3 day cruise is something to be upset about.....but other than that not so much. They followed rules and regulations.

I work in an office building where legionella bacteria has been present on a number of occasions. We are always informed after the fact because the testing results take time (about a week) and the cleaning is conducted as soon as the positive results come in.

The risk of getting Legionnaires disease is very low unless you are Immuno-compromised.

If I was travelling with a very elderly parent, an immuno-compromised person, or a late stage pregnant woman (who should not be on a cruise) then and only then would I be at all concerned.

I went on MOTS 10/30 and had no concerns. The bacteria is also commonly found in hotels, and how many folks here test their own showers and drinking water? Ever?

Going again on MOTS tomorrow. Also not concerned. Also going on 12/24. Not concerned.

The CDC notice is for those with compromised immune systems. Mine isn't compromised. I travel regularly and staying healthy and fit allows me to have a strong immune system for travel. I even drink the brown tap water in small villages in Mexico.

So I’m thinking that taking our scheduled cruise on the Majesty of the Seas in late January would be a really big mistake.

Since my wife has the following trifecta of the CDC’s possible People at Risk:

• Increased age – Late 60s

• Having chronic lung disease, such as emphysema or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) – Every Lung problem in the book

• Having a weakened immune system from diseases like cancer, diabetes, or kidney failure – She takes weekly infusions to increase her ability to fight infection

Plus she gets Pneumonia at least once a year usually twice.

We are luckily in the free cancellation period for another week. And I noticed this problem just as I was looking for possible flights to South Florida.

Boy am I glad that I follow the Cruise Critic Forums.

So I’m thinking that taking our scheduled cruise on the Majesty of the Seas in late January would be a really big mistake.

Since my wife has the following trifecta of the CDC’s possible People at Risk:

• Increased age – Late 60s

• Having chronic lung disease, such as emphysema or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) – Every Lung problem in the book

• Having a weakened immune system from diseases like cancer, diabetes, or kidney failure – She takes weekly infusions to increase her ability to fight infection

Plus she gets Pneumonia at least once a year usually twice.

We are luckily in the free cancellation period for another week. And I noticed this problem just as I was looking for possible flights to South Florida.

Boy am I glad that I follow the Cruise Critic Forums.

This is the point that some of the posters on this thread have been trying to make but keep getting attacked. You have a choice to cancel because you found out about the issue prior to sailing. Many people are being notified after sailing on this ship. Many people have compromised immune systems and should have been allowed to rebook their cruise but weren't given that opportunity. They are now left to worry if they are going to have a problem. I know my family would not be on that ship.

I did not read thru all these posts. Let me tell you about my experience on a Legionaires sailing on a Celebrity Ship (now a sister company of Royal)

Our first cruise was back in 94 I believe on the Horizon (Celebrity) cruising to Bermuda from NYC.

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/07/20/nyregion/ship-is-evacuated-to-be-disinfected-for-legionnaires.html

Upon arriving at port - there was a VERY LONG DELAY in boarding. Drinks and sandwiches were brought out - it was that long.

Once within the gang plank area - flyers being handed out re Legionnaires problem. No one was notified of the problem until you were actually waiting up the gang plank. You could board or not.

Many chose not to board - some were re-routed to cruises leaving the following day - space permitting. Others - us included - chose to board. Figured if they were allowing passengers on board it was "safe".

Worst cruise ever! Anything "water" related - shut down - jacuzzi's - Horizon had a fountain in the reception area - shut down. Staff came around changing shower heads.

CDC was on board. Passengers up in arms. Meetings in the theatre. Captain trying to calm everyone down. Awful

Once docked in Bermuda - we were ALL asked to disembark in order for the ship to be completed sanitized. We chose to do an island tour. Our tour guide said - you are not re-boarding that ship. Sure enough he was right!

Got on board and were told - cruise is over - pack up. They did either offer hotel accommodations in Bermuda and air home. Direct air home. or Cruise on another ship back to Boston. Artical attached says passengers were boarded to another Celebrity ship - not accurate - sorry can't remember the ship but it was not a Celebrity ship. Another ship in port that had space.

Long story short. Many of us went on the "other" cruise ship and were basically treated like lepars. Unfortunately ended up with "cold" symptons so chose to disembark in fly home.

Out of work for a week after while test were done.

We ended up with 100% reimbursement. All expenses paid including on board account. (would have drank more had I know - Ha Ha - Just kidding) Air home paid. (pre the time of passport requirements - didn't even see an airline ticket - customs just waived us thru) Transport to home from airport paid. In my case they paid my medical and RX. We were given 50% off future cruise on same ship to be completed within 1 year.

Would I board again - probably not - not a fun time, risk of illness and basicallly no one wants to be around you once you return unless they know you are well. Nothing but caious the entire time on board.

My adivse, see if you can change your res at no cost to another sailing.

For those of you booked in the future - you will be OK - they will get this cleaned up in maybe 2 weeks. I do have to say tho - when we cruised on the Horizon a year later (taking advantage of the 50% off) it was interesting to note the Jacuzzi's were still closed - actually boarded up. They kept telling us they would reopen during the cruise - they never did.