Another Long Time Celebrity Cruiser Jumping Ship

Lois R

Perhaps you are right, however the CC membership is such a small percentage of those that actually cruise.

And we are probably more vocal -- but what makes you think we are not typical? If the "silent majority" feel the same sticker shock and quality-reduction shock, Celebrity will see it very quickly on the bottom line.

And we are probably more vocal -- but what makes you think we are not typical? If the "silent majority" feel the same sticker shock and quality-reduction shock, Celebrity will see it very quickly on the bottom line.

True which is why I said previously that I think that X (and a few other cruise lines) have started to price their cruises differently by starting much higher and dropping the prices or offering perks if they are not selling. If the ships do not fill at the required rate the prices will drop and people will grab the better deals.

Thank you!

For us, it was mainly that the overall product quality dropped below a level that made it truly enjoyable. Granted, some of the changes were minor but those were the things that made cruising so much fun. As far as pricing is concerned, at the end, we cut our on ship spend to $0 hoping the lower cost woul equate to a better time but it made no difference. It is their right to present their product anyway they choose, but as is, I don't think we'd be a buyer at any price. At one time we were one of Celebrity/RCL's biggest fans with 23 sailings and over 250 days at sea over the last 8 years.

Based on the comments on this thread, Celebrity needs to find a lot of new cruisers to replace the unhappy ones that are leaving. I don't think that the current pricing strategy is going to achieve that goal.

You honestly think the members on here represent the average cruiser. On our cruise we found one person that felt they were not been pampered enough, the other 99% loved the experience and many had other cruises booked.

Look nothing is perfect but an often heard comment on our cruise was " what more do people want" I"m not one for throwing insults around on here but one or two people need to seriously get a grip.

True which is why I said previously that I think that X (and a few other cruise lines) have started to price their cruises differently by starting much higher and dropping the prices or offering perks if they are not selling. If the ships do not fill at the required rate the prices will drop and people will grab the better deals.

I think X are deliberately pricing their sailings deliberately high knowing full well they will be dropping fares and introducing perks to sell cabins. We looked at the late 2017 and early 2018 sailings recently. Prices do not offer value at all for the product offered and I believe they know that.

It would be interesting to pick three random early 2018 sailings now, list the prices and then post updates as and when the offerings change to see what they really sell for.

You honestly think the members on here represent the average cruiser. On our cruise we found one person that felt they were not been pampered enough, the other 99% loved the experience and many had other cruises booked.

Look nothing is perfect but an often heard comment on our cruise was " what more do people want" I"m not one for throwing insults around on here but one or two people need to seriously get a grip.

I certainly don't think the average cruiser is quitting X. While on our recent Equinox TA, I thought that the food and service was the best it had been in years. I booked two more X cruises onboard. I was just saying that there do seem to be a lot of folks that are finished with X. Perhaps the customer churn rate is increasing, which means they need more new customers. The current pricing strategy could increase their revenue per passenger day; but I don't think it will attract more new cruisers.

Perhaps you are right, however the CC membership is such a small percentage of those that actually cruise.

I have said the same thing for quite a few years.

I certainly don't think the average cruiser is quitting X. Perhaps the customer churn rate is increasing, which means they need more new customers.

We had a very active Roll Call for the Equinox Thanksgiving sailing. Lots of Elite and Plus, RCCL Diamonds, and even some Zenith CC.

Quite a few 'seasoned' cruisers, but their first time on Celebrity, and 6-8-10 on their very first cruise.

The Elite HH and Breakfast were like a ghost town. They set a place for 50% at the Capt Club wine tasting, and it to was less than half attended.

So here we are on CC talking about our 'perks' going away. When Celebrity see's that less and less are attending what is offered. It is no wonder they are cutting back when the people they do these things for don't show up, why should they continue to care either?

Just obversations in reality.

EW

We had a very active Roll Call for the Equinox Thanksgiving sailing. Lots of Elite and Plus, RCCL Diamonds, and even some Zenith CC.

Quite a few 'seasoned' cruisers, but their first time on Celebrity, and 6-8-10 on their very first cruise.

The Elite HH and Breakfast were like a ghost town. They set a place for 50% at the Capt Club wine tasting, and it to was less than half attended.

So here we are on CC talking about our 'perks' going away. When Celebrity see's that less and less are attending what is offered. It is no wonder they are cutting back when the people they do these things for don't show up, why should they continue to care either?

Just obversations in reality.

EW

During the Equinox TA, it was hard to find a seat for the Elite breakfast or HH, even with coupons. i realize that TA's are different; but I was surprised at how crowded it was.

During the Equinox TA, it was hard to find a seat for the Elite breakfast or HH, even with coupons. i realize that TA's are different; but I was surprised at how crowded it was.

The same true for the Eclipse TA this past spring.....AND the early evening was impossible to get a seat in the Ensemble lounge...everyone was there enjoying their free drink coupons...

I think the participation is different on each cruise...just depends on how many Elite and up there are....

My personal observations on Roll Calls for the past few years has been that about 10% of the capacity of the ship are posting on the Roll Call. Using the same authority as you two(my opinion) I would say there is probably at least twice that many that lurk and don't post, or use CC as a resource.

While certainly still a small number it is large enough to be statistically viable.

Linda, Thanks for not cancelling your Oct. cruise. This friend would be very sad if you weren't going to be there to celebrate Rod's and my big anniversary. I too am canceling my Panama canal cruise for April. My last cruise on Reflecttion left a bad taste in my mouth and I can't seem to find another Celebrity cruise I want to go on.

Pat

Pat, that cruise is all about celebrating with you and Rod. And having a great time with all the other fun people who will be on the cruise. I've been to all the ports, so it's not about the ports. Looking forward to it!

Linda

We were on Reflection in November after not cruising for almost two years.

We had an OK time, but when we came back DH said if we book another cruise soon, let it not be Celebrity.

Just a few items. We thought the dining room food had gone way down hill. I think this is because of Luminae and Blu, the regular dining room is now the step child of restaurants. For instance, we love breakfast, but breakfast in the dining room was the same every day and the omelets ..... oh my, I've had better (much better) omelets at the local diner ($4.99 with great home fries, not the frozen hockey pucks we got on Reflection). No variety at the Grill. I know there were rave reviews about the Grille, but it's just hamburgers and hot dogs. Other lines have knockwurst, sausages, etc. Unfortunately, we could not get reservations at any specialty restaurant. My fault for waiting too long.

We were bored by the evening entertainment too, and there wasn't much to do after dinner except use our beverage package ....

So I started looking at Princess, Norwegian, MSC, and Royal Caribbean.

Then I thought, heck with this.

We're going to LAS VEGAS this spring.

After that, who knows?

I think some of the perks are not attended because they are now in packages. Invitations for MC are the same time as other CC events. Its not that they are not appreciated, but I don't go to Elite breakfast if I have Luminae or Blu. The cocktail hour seems to happen at the same time as MC events and choices must be made.

To the OP. Do you have this cable station caused AWEHD( A Wealth of Entertainment)? They have a show caused Dream Cruises and they have some very awesome shows on river boats cruises in Europe. All the major river boats cruise lines are on displayed. We meet you many many years ago aboard The Century & Mercury.

Edited by cruise47

My personal observations on Roll Calls for the past few years has been that about 10% of the capacity of the ship are posting on the Roll Call. Using the same authority as you two(my opinion) I would say there is probably at least twice that many that lurk and don't post, or use CC as a resource.

While certainly still a small number it is large enough to be statistically viable.

You may be right about all the lurkers that don't post but that just puts them into the category with all the non CC members that cruise and fill the ships as their voice is not heard here.

Edited by MicCanberra

To the OP. Do you have this cable station caused AWEHD( A Wealth of Entertainment)? They have a show caused Dream Cruises and they have some very awesome shows on river boats cruises in Europe. All the major river boats cruise lines are on displayed. We meet you many many years ago aboard The Century & Mercury.

Hi...I am the Original poster and I have never heard of that cable

channel. I have learned a lot from the River Cruise forum here on CC

though.

What do you mean get a grip? It sounds like you are upset to think that some people would have the audacity to not become a lemming and fall in line with all the low expectation, I'll take whatever they give me as long as you give me drinks, puppets. We know what Celebrity is capable and instead of keeping things status quo, they decided to not only raise price but lower quality to a level of a cruise line named after a Scandanavian. Get a grip and understand that everybody is entitled to their opinion and should be chastised for voicing it. Most sober, mature adults would understand that.

You have 200 to 300 passengers on your roll calls?

We know what Celebrity is capable and instead of keeping things status quo, they decided to not only raise price but lower quality to a level of a cruise line named after a Scandanavian.

I assume you are NOT referring to Royal Viking? :D