Live from the Quest – Christmas cruise

travelinjudy

We boarded the cruise in Bali on 22 December. In the course of the past three days we've noticed what we would consider significant differences in a number of areas. Normally,we are Azamara cheerleaders, and our expectation when we bored it was that we would be again. However, we have been disappointed with a number of things in a very short time. First of all, the staff does not appear to be as warm and friendly (and smiling) as in the past. Most of them do not initiate any conversation and only speak when you speak first, and the responses fairly automatic. Secondly the staff in the windows buffet has been cut significantly during me most meals. There is generally only one or two waiters on each side, so drinks aren't poured and plates cleared in a timely fashion. And I had an incident where one of the waiters practically threw a glass of wine at me when I asked for it out of the normal schedule. I have never experienced anything like that on Azamara before. I did speak to the F & B Manager about it.

Thirdly, it is very clear that Azamara has Cut back significantly on the quality of their included wines. Especially the Reds. It feels like being on Celebrity, where they give you terrible free wine so you'll purchase an upgrade package.

Several of the repeaters on this cruise have also agreed that the service and the friendliness is lacking. We are own here for 40 days, so I'm hoping things will improve over time. It does give me pause however since we already have four more cruises booked beyond these three.

From a positive standpoint , the food has been excellent, and our room stewards are doing an outstanding job.We have had nine cruises on Azamara and hope to have many more in the future, if things improve. I truly hope they do!

We were on Quest ending in Hong Kong in December, and have to agree in part with your comments, as there was generally a feeling that "things aint what they used to be" and we were not alone in that observation from other Azamara fans. The inclusive wine was average at best, food across all areas was a bit boring and repetitive, and the same comment can be made about the entertainment for repeat passengers who would have seen the stage shows many times. Not a criticism of Tony Markey who worked hard with what he has been given, and the Azamazing evening in Bangkok was excellent.

Cannot agree about the attitude of the staff as we found them friendly and hard working as usual, but do feel that as Azamara have now built a loyal customer base they are beginning to ease off, cut costs and push passengers towards upgrade packages which are even now being enlarged. Personally think they are wrong headed in this and they begin to demean the brand they have worked hard to develop, and as they continually increase cruise prices and block book charters they cause loyal repeaters to look at other options and without looking outwith the RCCL brand Celebrity offer an excellent product, albeit on larger ships, and more direct and more inclusive options from other lines are now often at a similar price band.

Azamara really need to decide whether they aspire to be an upmarket and inclusive brand, or mainstream on small ships being driven and marketed by the ethos of Royal Caribbean.

Hello travelinjudy, Im sorry your first impression back onboard is not superlative. Do speak to the Hotel Manager.

The only explanation I can think of is that the holidays can be hard on crew and staff, being away from their families. Hopefully by the time you read this they are back to their warm and friendly normal behavior.

As for the complimentary wines, my DH and I were on the Quest in November and the complimentary wines seemed to me to be many of the same wines we were served in August 2014 on the British Isles voyage. I don't believe they've been downgraded.

Bonnie, may I ask if you have been on the British Isle cruise, starting august 8 in Copenhagen and ending up in Southampton august 20 2014? A cruise were it was so cold for august, that the first thing we have done in Edinburgh was to buy warm scarfs and we needed them almost the whole cruise.

If yes, we were on the same cruise. Maybe we met at the Meet&Mingle, fantastically hosted by CD Tony.

Speaking about the wines:there was a downgrade compared to the 2012 Suezcanal cruise in 2012. A rose wine, which was 2012 included was in 2014 additional price for $ 8. I have only this as an example because I only can drink sweeter wine and the californian was much better in 2012 than the portugese in 2014. But it was okay.

Happy holidays from Germany

Bonnie, may I ask if you have been on the British Isle cruise, starting august 8 in Copenhagen and ending up in Southampton august 20 2014? A cruise were it was so cold for august, that the first thing we have done in Edinburgh was to buy warm scarfs and we needed them almost the whole cruise.

If yes, we were on the same cruise. Maybe we met at the Meet&Mingle, fantastically hosted by CD Tony.

Speaking about the wines:there was a downgrade compared to the 2012 Suezcanal cruise in 2012. A rose wine, which was 2012 included was in 2014 additional price for $ 8. I have only this as an example because I only can drink sweeter wine and the californian was much better in 2012 than the portugese in 2014. But it was okay.

Happy holidays from Germany

Hi wuppis, yes that was the cruise...so cold we too bought wool hats and scarves. That was my first CC Meet & Mingle. We must have met each other there.

As for the complimentary wines, my DH and I were on the Quest in November and the complimentary wines seemed to me to be many of the same wines we were served in August 2014 on the British Isles voyage. I don't believe they've been downgraded.

The complimentary wines we were served on Quest in October/November were the same as we were served on Journey in July and, as best as I can recall, for a year or two or three before that. We don't drink rose so I can't comment on that.

If you read the current "wine" thread you will see many comments on the decline in standard of wines offered (notably the rose), and inconsistent delivery of alternative selections.

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk

Edited by little britain

If you read the current "wine" thread you will see many comments on the decline in standard of wines offered (notably the rose), and inconsistent delivery of alternative selections.

I guess you didn't read what I wrote. I spent nearly a month on Quest barely a month ago. The complimentary wines haven't changed in years, except maybe the rose, as we don't drink rose so don't pay attention. Unless it's a fine Tavel, rose is a wine for those who don't like wine. Edited by marinaro44

Hi Travelinjudy,

Thanks for your onboard report. Sorry to hear that it's not as ideal as you hoped for. I'm not trying to make any excuses, as we all are very fond of Azamara's officers and crew.... but I think Bonnie made an excellent point, in that ship's crew tend to be a little down, during the Holiday season, as they are missing their loved ones. I've seen it before, so this makes sense.

Hopefully, it's temporary, and your experience will improve. The good news is, you have plenty of time onboard Quest, so please keep us posted. Wishing you a wonderful cruise, and Happy Holidays !

Yes, please keep us updated, Judy. I'm especially interested as I'd long ago booked a Club Continent Suite on Journey for the 2016 Christmas Singapore, Bali cruise--- because we'd been on the Journey for the Christmas 2014 Buenos Aires /Rio cruise and we LOVED it (Happy crew, great food and wine, although, come to think of it we did dine in the specialty restaurants most nights, and fun and engaging fellow passengers). Then it looked as though Club Continent Suites wouldn't have bathtubs (which is why we book them in the first place), but after much discussion on Cruise Critic, happily Azamara is retaining them in many CC suites and ours is one, yay! The fact that Azamara has Bonnie tune into, and attempt to convey our comments to HQ and relay back answers speaks well of Azamara. Bonnie does yeoman service on this site. While we tend to be destination and port centric in our choices, we've decided we like Azamara and Seabourn best so far, as we don't like the megaships. We enjoy the overnights and longer stays that Azamara offers, as opposed to the "in at 8am, out at 5pm" port stays the other lines offer (including Seabourn). Thank you in advance, Judy, and wishing everyone a prosperous and Happy new Year!

I think many agree with what I wrote. And the wine definitely has been changed from two years ago. I had several favorite included wines that are nowhere to be found. I will update as I can.:)

I agree that the wine selection is not what it once was, on our last 2 cruises we bought the wine lovers package for that very reason.

It is a shame but In my opinion it seems that we will now need to upgrade to the speciality restaurants & buy a wine package to really enjoy any future cruises.

Edited by Bloodaxe

Marinaro, on our last Journey cruise in October/November our favourite wine was missing. It was the Gerbert Bertrand red (sp?) and always seemed a popular choice with most people in previous years. The Crusher was a perfectly drinkable substitute though.

One of my Christmas presents was a bottle of Penfold's The Grange 2009. Now that wine will be kept for a special occasion! :)

The wines you mentioned Penfolds Grange are very special, congratulations on a beautiful gift. doubt it would ever be an included wine on any cruise, cost prohibited.

we enjoyed our last Azamara cruise but would prefer cooler weather hence we opted out of this 1 plus cyclones are common in the top end and qld this time of year. hope all goes well and will read with interest.

The service is improving. A special shout out to Melina, and Javier for great service, and Fiorina at Guest services for being especially attentive to people's concerns. Another day of mediocre wines--will have to get used to that, I guess. Food is wonderful, as usual. (Food and Beverage Manager just hurries through the venue, never stopping to talk to people to see if they are enjoying everything.)

Overall, things have settled down now that the holiday has passed. I'm encouraged by the change, albeit slow.

I guess you didn't read what I wrote. I spent nearly a month on Quest barely a month ago. The complimentary wines haven't changed in years, except maybe the rose, as we don't drink rose so don't pay attention. Unless it's a fine Tavel, rose is a wine for those who don't like wine.

I am currently on board. Not having the service issues Judy is having and we are always being asked is everything ok. Crew all fantastic working so hard

Marinaro, the wine is different from September the Rose is awful, and a new white Friends, not good, there is also a lower range the same Oaked Chardonnay of three days ago is today's wine.

I love wine rise is for me as I can drink red and is a much needed alternate to white

The service is improving. A special shout out to Melina, and Javier for great service, and Fiorina at Guest services for being especially attentive to people's concerns. Another day of mediocre wines--will have to get used to that, I guess. Food is wonderful, as usual. (Food and Beverage Manager just hurries through the venue, never stopping to talk to people to see if they are enjoying everything.)

Overall, things have settled down now that the holiday has passed. I'm encouraged by the change, albeit slow.

Judy, are the Melina and Javier you mention a married couple, she from Thailand and he from Honduras? If so, then they are two delightful people who we have met on many Quest cruises. They are unlikely to remember our names (Rod and Sarah) but could you say that some past guests remember them and send our very best wishes. Our next two cruises are on Journey but we will be on the Quest in September - Southampton to Montreal - and if they are back on board then we look forward to meeting them again.

Also, is Yasmine on the desk at Guest Relations - another very delightful and helpful person.

Many thanks

Judy, are the Melina and Javier you mention a married couple, she from Thailand and he from Honduras? If so, then they are two delightful people who we have met on many Quest cruises. They are unlikely to remember our names (Rod and Sarah) but could you say that some past guests remember them and send our very best wishes. Our next two cruises are on Journey but we will be on the Quest in September - Southampton to Montreal - and if they are back on board then we look forward to meeting them again.

Also, is Yasmine on the desk at Guest Relations - another very delightful and helpful person.

Many thanks

Yasmine is currently Concierge on Journey. She is great. I believe she returns to Quest on her next contract. I think Melina is from Eastern Europe and agree she and Javier are top notch. They were both working in Prime C the last time I was on Quest.

Phil

Yasmine is currently Concierge on Journey. She is great. I believe she returns to Quest on her next contract. I think Melina is from Eastern Europe and agree she and Javier are top notch. They were both working in Prime C the last time I was on Quest.

Phil

Thanks Phil. We will be on Journey in February so it will be good to see Yasmine.

Many thanks

Hi,

Phil has pretty much clarified the people you were inquiring about. Melina is from Serbia and Javier from Honduras.

We don't usually eat in the main dining room, so I can't comment on the service there. However, the service for the Boxing Day brunch in Discoveries was excellent. So was the food presentation and taste.

G'day from Darwin,

It's our first stop in Australia, and going through immigration on board was a breeze. The weather is very overcast, but not as hot and oppressive as we expected . So far the weather has cooperated along the way, and sees were relatively calm except for a very short time. It's a good omen for sure 😃.

In all honesty, they've had their meetings and fixed the problems, and service has improved remarkably in the windows café. So," no worry mate!"

As for the wine, if you find one to your liking you need to ask for it regularly because we still have had very mediocre wines on a daily basis.