Paralyzed with Indecision-Help!

HockeyDAD73

ORV, we are sailing with you on the Solstice in September - would enjoy chatting with you about Oceania as we have a B2B on Riviera in December. We are elite level on Celebrity but are very much looking forward to cruising with O. I appreciate the comparisons.

We should have plenty of sea days on the crossing to meet up. I plan on being at the M & G. I'm looking forward to that trip.

I have no idea where you got this from. I was on the Viking Oceans in July and it was overwhelmingly American.

Could it depend on the itinerary and where the ship sails from? Did you like the cruiseline? I have never heard of it until this thread. It has my interest.

We're leaving Celebrity and giving Oceania a try in a little over a week. We just don't like the changes that have happened on Celebrity and their price increases----basically paying a lot more and getting less. We have more than 35 cruises on Celebrity, mostly in the PH or Royal Suites, but we don't like the direction the new CEO is taking the line. And to those who think these freebies you're getting are free, think again. You're paying for those things with much higher fares.

Portofinoitaly, do you remember the name of your butler on Solstice? Was it Rikki? He is great.

Edited by kitty9

Could it depend on the itinerary and where the ship sails from? Did you like the cruiseline? I have never heard of it until this thread. It has my interest.

In the winter it does round trips out of San Juan, 11 days and hits a bunch of awesome islands. I didn't hear of it either until someone mentioned it on one of these boards, and then a few days later I got a flier in the mail.

It looks fantastic and prices out slightly less expensive that Oceania, Azamara, and Crystal. And includes airfare!

This person has done an amazing photo blog of the ship...http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/12/28/viking-star-a-taste-of-something-different/

Edited by micmacmissy

Yes, Celebrity is mass market, but I'd say it's at the top of the mass market- a step up from Carnival, Norwegian, and Royal Caribbean. There are NOT contests in the pool and there aren't tons of people. However, they are big ships and I think their dining experience has suffered under cutbacks, at least on our last cruise.

Celebrity is IMO a step up from the likes of NCL and Carnival. However, we stopped cruising with them about 8 years ago as food had gone really downhill, staff levels cut and ships were not well maintained. We will not cruise their big ships with 2500 passengers as that is not what we enjoy. Celebrity was very nice in the 90s and up until about 2005 but they have fallen far - IMO and IME. Our last Celebrity cruise was on Century and it was a disappointment from start to finish. I was particularly disappointed in the condition of the ship (and had experienced the same on Mercury the year prior) and the food quality, which was a far cry from the Celebrity of previous years ( we are Elite Plus with Celebrity).

We tried Oceania after a long absence from ocean cruising and were very pleased. Ship was impeccably well maintained, food and service were excellent (with the exception of the front desk staff who were not the most helpful or professional). We enjoyed the lack of announcements, lack of constant efforts to sell us something and lack of photographers (Celebrity has all of that). We also totally enjoyed the lack of any children and the quiet onboard atmosphere.

We will not cruise mass market again and we do consider Celebrity in this category. The push to keep prices low enough to fill their ships has resulted in a different demographic and too many cutbacks and extra fees. When and if we take an ocean cruise again it will be on O or better.

Edited by caviargal

In the winter it does round trips out of San Juan, 11 days and hits a bunch of awesome islands. I didn't hear of it either until someone mentioned it on one of these boards, and then a few days later I got a flier in the mail.

It looks fantastic and prices out slightly less expensive that Oceania, Azamara, and Crystal. And includes airfare!

This person has done an amazing photo blog of the ship...http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/12/28/viking-star-a-taste-of-something-different/

Viking typically wants 100% down...part of there business model is to hold your money for 18 months.:rolleyes:

Thanks for this post. I was beginning to think I was missing out on something with Celebrity.

I think you are

The eclipse is impeccably maintained. Service superb. Food good to excellent. No announcements except for daily briefing by captain

The suites are huge

The private suite restaurant and blu allow you to have an intimate dining experience every night

Formal nights abolished

There is a good reason many regular o cruisers like us sometimes choose celebrity

Edited by bitob

Loved the ship, service, entertainment and food. Ship is clean and modern in a Scandinavian decor style. Home office information and support is horrible. Once on the ship it is excellent. As previously mentioned they want upfront payment very early in advance. Wine and beer are included but nor gratuities. They started with one ship the Star and now have two more coming. Tours are included but they are hit and miss depending on what you are looking for in an excursion. Viking is good as long as everything goes well. We we on the ill fated trip where the engine blew and the cruise was cut short. It is in these types of situations where Viking falls flat on their face.

Their target market is the U.S. so everything so everything is in English. I don't think it had to do with the itinerary at all. The River cruises are also heavily traveled by Americans. I think if I see another Viking advertisement I will jump overboard.

Edited by TERRIER1

I will take a different point of view as an O cruiser who just finished an NCL Getaway cruise.

Since you like the Haven and presume you enjoyed the service level you get on a Haven -- to match this you would have to go with a Riviera PH. Then you will have the Butler, the lounge and the concierge. Also all of the priorities (dining reservations and dinner in the room from any restaurant)

Since you hated the rest of the ship (as we did too) -- you will like the ambiance of O. There are lots of quiet places -- including Baristas/Library and we have never failed to find a deck chair (despite the hogs) - unlike NCL.

Nightlife is near zero on O but the clientele on NCL was lets say more of a drinking crowd - especially with the free drink package promotions.

Did you enjoy the food on NCL (we did 100% specialty on Getaway)

1) Polo is about same as Cagney's

2) Jacques on O is much better than Le Bistro

3) Red Ginger - is by far the better of any of the NCL Asian restaurants

4) Toscana -- 100% better than La Cuchina

5) Only restaurant better than any on O was Ocean Blu - just for variety.

I would chance it on O. As for Silversea -- you are comparing different sizes and choices. I would compare O's R ships (Nautica, Insignia etc.) here but then Silversea wins.

I think all of this must be taken with a grain of salt. No matter what cruise line, in any price range, there are posts from people who will never sail that line again mixed in with the ones who just had the best trip of their life.

Or those that have never sailed the line and downtalk it.

JVNYC JVNYC

Thanks for this post. I was beginning to think I was missing out on something with Celebrity.

Try one of the Solstice class ships, or a longer Constellation class itinerary. We prefer the Connie. ;)

Thank you for the link. Looking forward to checking it out.

With a cruise originating out of San Juan, although a part of the U.S., the predominant demographic of passengers could be Spanish speaking. We have taken a couple of cruises from there and the nightlife can be quite active (loud). ;) Days, too!

Loved the ship, service, entertainment and food. Ship is clean and modern in a Scandinavian decor style. Home office information and support is horrible. Once on the ship it is excellent. As previously mentioned they want upfront payment very early in advance. Wine and beer are included but nor gratuities. They started with one ship the Star and now have two more coming. Tours are included but they are hit and miss depending on what you are looking for in an excursion. Viking is good as long as everything goes well. We we on the ill fated trip where the engine blew and the cruise was cut short. It is in these types of situations where Viking falls flat on their face.

Their target market is the U.S. so everything so everything is in English. I don't think it had to do with the itinerary at all. The River cruises are also heavily traveled by Americans. I think if I see another Viking advertisement I will jump overboard.

I think if I see another Oceania pamphlet in my mailbox, I am going to scream! I bet my mailman thinks I am a travel agent. :D Seriously, we occasionally receive other cruiselines pamphlets, but Oceania takes the cake! At least twice a week in the mailbox. :eek:

Can you book this Vikings Ocean through a TA and bypass the home office?

Upfront early payment. And I thought Oceania was a little strict. We do not mind paying up front, as long as we can get 100% back by a reasonable time. If we are interested in this cruiseline, perhaps we should look for something last minute.

BTW- Celebrity currently has a promo - this weekend - where you can put just $25pp deposit down on a cruise. You also get to choose 2 perks. Book with a travel agent and you can possibly get 3 perks. Might be good for someone thinking about trying something with a little more nightlife, but still want a decent line. Just don't take a short cruise out of Florida. Those can turn into party cruises during the spring season.

Edited by Iamthesea

Can you book this Vikings Ocean through a TA and bypass the home office?

Upfront early payment. And I thought Oceania was a little strict. We do not mind paying up front, as long as we can get 100% back by a reasonable time. If we are interested in this cruiseline, perhaps we should look for something last minute.

I booked through my TA but the TA's receive the same bad information from Viking. Viking is just plain bad at communication. As far as looking for something last minute Viking Oceans is pretty booked up. Give it a go and look at reviews. They had a lot bumps in the road being this is their first year. I am not making excuses since they should have had a lot of things figured out before they sailed. They seem to be much better now.

I booked through my TA but the TA's receive the same bad information from Viking. Viking is just plain bad at communication. As far as looking for something last minute Viking Oceans is pretty booked up. Give it a go and look at reviews. They had a lot bumps in the road being this is their first year. I am not making excuses since they should have had a lot of things figured out before they sailed. They seem to be much better now.

Is Viking Ocean going to sail in this part of the world, aka North America? I wonder how they can get away with that, knowing that they don't allow disabled persons on their ships---there are no accessible cabins and they don't allow scooters or other motorized disabled conveyances like power wheelchairs. Their comment on their website is that "motorized vehicles are not suited on international cruises". Where do that get that BS? I've traveled throughout the world using my mobility scooter and have never had a problem. For that reason, and I state this emphatically, I hate anything having to do with Viking and their obvious dislike of the disabled. And since the Supreme Court ruling that any cruise line sailing out of a US port must accommodate the disabled, how can Viking get away with their attitude?

Edited by kitty9

Is Viking Ocean going to sail in this part of the world, aka North America? I wonder how they can get away with that, knowing that they don't allow disabled persons on their ships---there are no accessible cabins and they don't allow scooters or other motorized disabled conveyances like power wheelchairs. Their comment on their website is that "motorized vehicles are not suited on international cruises". Where do that get that BS? I've traveled throughout the world using my mobility scooter and have never had a problem. For that reason, and I state this emphatically, I hate anything having to do with Viking and their obvious dislike of the disabled. And since the Supreme Court ruling that any cruise line sailing out of a US port must accommodate the disabled, how can Viking get away with their attitude?

I have no idea about this at all. We sail in Europe and never looked into this as we are fortunate at this stage of our lives not to require motorized vehicles.

We to are Celebrity fans. Elite plus with 23 cruises. We sail in Aqua Class or Suites. The prices on X have gone up so much and we don`t care about the AI offers as we get many of those benefits with Elite Plus perks. We are also trying Oceania for the first time in March in a PH Suite. Back on X Infinity in May. Will let you know how the two compare.

To me sailing on X or HAL or NCL you are on a big ship

even if you book the "special area" eg: haven

Once you leave the area you are still with hundreds of passengers :eek:

I prefer less than 1500 but that is just me

so we choose Oceania

we do not sail in suites just regular cabins & it works fine for our needs

Everyone must do what suits their needs/wants

JMO

They are doing a bunch of round trips out of San Juan...that's a US territory, isn't it?