MDR and flip flops.... Final verdict

jinglesmountjoy

I have tons of flip flops...dressier ones, casual ones...I typically wear my sparkly bling bling ones to the MDR...why not? Nobody bans 4 inch high heels and those are a crazy safety issue. I hate and have always hated that sweaty foot feeling..ugh... Chances are OP as long as your clothing is halfway decent no one will notice your feet!;)

So, the fine print says no flip flops in MDR but I wear leather flip flops with my khakis... How strict are they with this policy? I'm quite presentable... Collared shirt, walking shorts /khakis.

Flip flops are not allowed - Ever, now comes the hard part what are flip flops?

Leather sandals are not flip flops, they are rubber things that are meant to be worn around a pool.

However ship personal may decide that your leather sandals are flip flop and send you back to the cabin for more appropriate (in their minds) footwear.

The Fun Times states, no flip flops, shorts, baseball hats, bathing suit attire, jeans and mens sleeveless shirts. On our recent cruise on Liberty, I think I saw all of the above in the MDR, including the baseball hat. I think that's the only thing that bothers me and maybe it was just my upbringing. I was never allowed to wear a cap to the dinner table at home and would certainly never wear one on a cruise. I'm not going to judge someone wearing jeans or flip flops in the MDR, just the baseball cap.

For the record... this is essentially what I'll be wearing.

3325A001-HERO?$FULL-IMAGE$

To me, anything that "flops" when it "flips" back into place is by definition a "flip flop". DSs have the same kind as you and we always refer to them as flip flops. They have never worn them in the MDR. Sandals have a strap to secure the heel and prevent that from happening. DH has the sandal kind that he wears during casual nights.

So I don't know if what you are going to bring will get you turned away or not. I honestly don't look at men's feet if I can can help it. It wouldn't bother me if you wore them, but Carnival may or they may not. I guess if you wanted to be extra safe, get the sandal kind. Or go for it knowing that it is a possibility that you will have to change.

Flip flops are plastic/rubber. Leather thongs are sandals.

To clarify, flip-flops are (as cb noted) plastic or rubber, and are sometimes referred to as "shower shoes". Sandals are typically leather or faux leather. Thongs are permitted, but you must wear pants over them. No one wants to see your butt cheeks in the MDR. :D

I think the problem is, "flip-flops" has taken on a whole new meaning. What was once a cheap $1.00 pair of rubber beach shoes can now cost up to and over $100.00 and still are in the flip-flop category because of the shape. I suspect the "ban" refers more to the cheap variety, but it can be confusing and perhaps they should just do away with it all together.

I too have some nice pairs and prefer to wear those in the summer and they are easy to pack. They look like flip flops and I call them flip flops, but they are not cheap! Ha! When shopping online, they also have them in the flip flop category, not the sandals category.

Dictionary dot com's definition of a sandal:a shoe consisting of a sole of leather or other material fastened to the foot by thongs or straps.

Seems to me that even the cheap rubber flip-flops fit this definition. So it appears that all flip-flops are sandals, but not all sandals are flip-flops.

Edited by zdcatc12
Clarity