Global Entry at disembarkment port

nedward

I've been in those long lines.

Just who would you even show your cards to?

I don't remember any customs people until we got to the front.

If there's no sign for that particular Customs entry line, then no GE/Nexus entry so yes, you'd be in the long Customs line and no one to show your card to. It's a time saver now, but if everyone has it...where's the difference? We'd all be in the same situation.

Passengers indicate Nexus number when you provide TSA information on your airline ticket before boarding; I just filled ours in online. It's mandatory to have your card with you.

Copied from the AC website Q&A.

"TSA Pre✓™ is available for Air Canada flights departing from select U.S. airports.

The TSA determines a passenger's eligibility for TSA Pre✓™ on a flight by flight basis. You will be advised when you check in for your flight if you are eligible. Even if you have a Known Traveller Number, you may not be eligible for TSA Pre✓™."

I try to avoid AC at all costs :D

I made the mistake of putting my nexus card # on my SWA profile. When the flight was booked (prior to getting the card) I did not enter any information. I later learned that i could have called SWA to add the information. Now I know, and I enter the # under the known traveller section.

In our experience, having the NEXUS card gets us over the US border much faster....last trip across, the Nexus line had 5 cars ahead of us...other multi lines had maybe a 1/2 hr wait time each line. It's getting more popular though, as trip prior had NO ONE waiting...just zipped through. Perhaps GE is handled differently?

The GE and Nexus are two totally different programs. Our GE status has no useful purpose when driving between Canada and the USA, although we have noticed that since we got our GE status the CBP folks clear us very quickly with generally no questions. Since GE is linked with our Passports, the CBP Officer knows you are GE as soon as pull-up one's record. The GE number is also used as the KTN (Known Traveler Number) when booking airline tickets and this usually (not always) will get you the TSA Pre-Check indicator (which can be a huge time/line saver in airports.

We know travelers who argue that getting Nexus makes more sense then GE since Nexus can be used for most GE functions but GE cannot be used for Nexus functions. Perhaps they have a good point.

Hank

The GE and Nexus are two totally different programs. Our GE status has no useful purpose when driving between Canada and the USA, although we have noticed that since we got our GE status the CBP folks clear us very quickly with generally no questions. Since GE is linked with our Passports, the CBP Officer knows you are GE as soon as pull-up one's record. The GE number is also used as the KTN (Known Traveler Number) when booking airline tickets and this usually (not always) will get you the TSA Pre-Check indicator (which can be a huge time/line saver in airports.

We know travelers who argue that getting Nexus makes more sense then GE since Nexus can be used for most GE functions but GE cannot be used for Nexus functions. Perhaps they have a good point.

Hank

I thought I read that if ALL passengers in a car crossing usa/canada boarder had GE, they could use a special lane (that lane wouldn't be at all crossings, but many/some??).

Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Not true. We had our nexus cards with us at Miami airport. You could only do the expedited security if your boarding pass had TSA precheck on it. Ours didn't. I now know that a call to SWA would have fixed that. Our last flight (jet-blue) we had TSA pre-check and got the shorter lines.

Maybe I was unclear I was talking about entering the country.

You are implying that this is true even we there are no GE line/operation. I will see if this is true when entering immigration/customs at the Miami port. I have my doubts, but your statement sounds confident.

All I can say is that i was told that by a CHP officer after waiting in a long line at the Port of NY and mentioning they should have GE at ports.

Keep in mind that in the USA there is Global Entry (GE), Nexus, and Sentri and FAST and while they are all grouped under a category called "Trusted Traveler Programs" they each involve a different process (and fees) to get into the program. So, for example, DW and I both are in the Global Entry Program, but we are not in Nexus or Sentri. While we could join those programs it would mean more fees and likely at least one more interview. I believe GE still costs $100 for a 5 year certification and one needs to schedule an interview as part of the process.

GE is really nice for those who fly into the USA but has little use for driving across the Canadian or Mexican border. It is GE that being tried at Port Everglades. When we were recently at the Port of Miami there was no GE....and we asked a CBP Officer it there future plans to offer that service at POM. He told us it was under consideration...which is government speak for "nobody knows."

Hank

Note that Nexus only cost $50 and it comes with GE for free, while just getting GE cost $100 (or free if you have certain FF status or certain CC). If you are close to the to the Canadian border, you get a better value getting the Nexus program instead of GE.

I thought I read that if ALL passengers in a car crossing usa/canada boarder had GE, they could use a special lane (that lane wouldn't be at all crossings, but many/some??).

Does that ring a bell with anyone?

GE only allows entry INTO the US, not leaving. So you can use your GE card in the NEXUS lane coming back, but not going into Canada.

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/card

You may use this card for expedited entry into the United States via the SENTRI and NEXUS lanes. The card is not valid for entry into Canada via the NEXUS lanes.

Only your passport or lawful permanent resident card are accepted at Global Entry kiosks. The Global Entry card cannot be used at Global Entry kiosks. NEXUS cards are accepted at Global Entry kiosks located on Canadian Preclearance Airports.

They can and do ask to see the card when going through the Nexus only line at security.

Thanks. When I said you don't need the card I meant for actual GE purposes (clearing I/C) you don't need it. And if you have GE, you can use the Pre Check line for security. I suppose it's possible you could have an airport somewhere that doesn't have Pre Check but has Nexus though. ??

The GE card gives you front of the line privileges at any US Customs/Immigration checkpoint.

I guess that would help for a land crossing?? If you're flying in you don't need the card, as the info is embedded in your passport and you scan that at the kiosk.

Not true. We had our nexus cards with us at Miami airport. You could only do the expedited security if your boarding pass had TSA precheck on it. Ours didn't. I now know that a call to SWA would have fixed that. Our last flight (jet-blue) we had TSA pre-check and got the shorter lines.

For those that don't have cards ... I would think that no cards = no service. How else do you prove that you have pre-cleared?

You don't need to have your GE card with you to go through Pre Check. As long as your GE number is in your airline reservation, your boarding pass will show Pre Check (unless you are one of the few randomly selected to NOT get it, which happens occasionally) and you do not need to show your GE card.

All I can say is that i was told that by a CHP officer after waiting in a long line at the Port of NY and mentioning they should have GE at ports.

What authority does a California Highway Patrolman have at the Port of NY? :D

I've had my GE account for 4 plus years now. We got no wallet card back then. You dont need a GE card you only need your passport while entering USA. You use the kiosk with your passport. You have to put your Known Traveler Number in your airline profile to use TSA-Precheck. My problem has been it only works with US airlines. As I like flying British, because they have great flatbed sleeper seats.

The GE card is now pretty useless except as a form of government picture ID. When going through the GE Kiosks (at international airports) you simply scan your passport and nobody wants to see the card. When we came through Port Everglades the CBP Officer had no interest in our GE cards (never got them out of our pockets) and just checked our Passport. And as to the TSA-Pre Check..that is simply triggered by your KTN which you input at the time you make a reservation.

Hank

I'll say it one more time. There are no kiosks in Port Everglades, so take your GE card with you to prove your membership and to allow you access to the GE line. The card doesn't weigh a lot and takes up little space, so do yourself a favor and carry it with you.

As far as TSA Pre-check goes, it is not guaranteed that it will show on your ticket every time. If it doesn't, you'll have to go in the regular line. I found this out the hard way in Peoria, Illinois of all places. DW waltzed through but I had to go to the regular line.

I'll say it one more time. There are no kiosks in Port Everglades, so take your GE card with you to prove your membership and to allow you access to the GE line. The card doesn't weigh a lot and takes up little space, so do yourself a favor and carry it with you.

As far as TSA Pre-check goes, it is not guaranteed that it will show on your ticket every time. If it doesn't, you'll have to go in the regular line. I found this out the hard way in Peoria, Illinois of all places. DW waltzed through but I had to go to the regular line.

And we wil say it one more time :). Were at Port Everglades in early December and they had a sign pointing to a very short line for those with GE. As DW and I walked into that very short (2 persons) queue a port employee ask if we both had GE and we responded, "Yes." She let us pass, we walked right up to the CBP Officer (avoiding about a 30 min line) and he quickly scanned our Passports and waved us through. We never had to show our GE cards.

Hank

And we wil say it one more time :). Were at Port Everglades in early December and they had a sign pointing to a very short line for those with GE. As DW and I walked into that very short (2 persons) queue a port employee ask if we both had GE and we responded, "Yes." She let us pass, we walked right up to the CBP Officer (avoiding about a 30 min line) and he quickly scanned our Passports and waved us through. We never had to show our GE cards.

Hank

You are correct, Hank. You don't need the GE ID card. We only use the GE card as the form of ID with our boarding pass when going thru security.

I've had my GE account for 4 plus years now. We got no wallet card back then. You dont need a GE card you only need your passport while entering USA. You use the kiosk with your passport. You have to put your Known Traveler Number in your airline profile to use TSA-Precheck. My problem has been it only works with US airlines. As I like flying British, because they have great flatbed sleeper seats.

We like flying BA too. AA and BA are partners. We booked our BA flights through AA and entered our GE KTN into our profile on AA's system. When our BA boarding passes were issued we got TSA Precheck for our international flight on BA. :)

Hank

I have to agree with you since the exact same thing happened to us.

HOWEVER, until they have kiosks at the ports, I would strongly recommend having your cards with you (as we did). Otherwise, there is no way for them to know that you have GE and allow you in the shorter line. You can say that the border agent checking passports would know - but for us, the GE line just fed into the front of a regular line. Once we were there, the person checking our passports didn't know or care that we had GE. Carrying the card might help and certainly can't hurt. For those that haven't received cards, you can probably request them.

Mike

I

As far as TSA Pre-check goes, it is not guaranteed that it will show on your ticket every time. If it doesn't, you'll have to go in the regular line.

Yes, I mentioned that earlier. A few people here and there, who would otherwise have Pre, are randomly selected on any given day to NOT get it. It's an added security measure.

We like flying BA too. AA and BA are partners. We booked our BA flights through AA and entered our GE KTN into our profile on AA's system. When our BA boarding passes were issued we got TSA Precheck for our international flight on BA. :)

Thanks, I will look at that the next time. I might be able to do this with Alaska as they are partners with BA and they have my GE info already.

Yes, I mentioned that earlier. A few people here and there, who would otherwise have Pre, are randomly selected on any given day to NOT get it. It's an added security measure.

It is my understanding the random are people 65 or older.

3 weeks ago, we got off a Princess ship at port Everglades. It was around 9:30 and the lines were already long- All the way on the right was the Global Entry sign. But you couldn't see it due to the crowds. I had my dh hold our spot in the regular line. Sort of pushed (politely) my way through the crowds and found the one person (employee) that was standing around the crowds. I asked if the Global Entry was being used. She said there will be a person there shortly. Just then she shouted that any one who has that program can go wait on line there. (GRRRR) So by the time I got my dh to head to that line, there were already 15 people ahead of us (we would have been among the first!!!)

But ok. We were taken in about 15 minutes, not bad at all. It would have been at least a 30-45 minute longer wait on the regular line.

It is my understanding the random are people 65 or older.

Nope. Any otherwise eligible Pre pax can be randomly selected on occasion to NOT get it and have to go through full security screening. It has happened to me once, and I'm under 50. Has happened to others I know who are well under 65 as well.