Warning for cruise ships

odysee

The problem w posts such as this is that from the viewpoint of people who cruise, what can we do about it. You have 3 options - stay home, travel and take your chances, or only travel to safe areas. Since these guys can hit almost anywhere, I would guess that the only safe places might be Greenland, Antarctica or maybe the Northwest Passage.

DON

Thanks for this information . I agree it is not if ,it is when ,because it would make world news channels supporting terrorist goals

God forbid that a cruise ship gets hit ;as no cruise ship has any defense against missel or torpedo attacks :eek:. will the cruise lines play on the side of caution for med cruises :rolleyes:

The problem w posts such as this is that from the viewpoint of people who cruise, what can we do about it. You have 3 options - stay home, travel and take your chances, or only travel to safe areas. Since these guys can hit almost anywhere, I would guess that the only safe places might be Greenland, Antarctica or maybe the Northwest Passage.

DON

Don yes it is up to the individual ;however ,living on the edge or next to fire one can get hurt .Imo ,best to side on caution . Taking a cruise closer to the US is by far safer than in the med where ISIS or other terrorist groups remain much closer

I would hope that the cruise lines are taking a serious look at their security given the times we live in, that said - it is really up to the traveler to be alert and for goodness sake, if something appears not right - SAY SOMETHING to an official. All to often we don't want to speak up -- well no more.

An alert public is the best defense against terror. Oh and in Florida - we have the highest number of concealed carry permits. :D Won't do me any good on a ship but I certainly weigh the risk when making my travel decisions.

Edited by Jane2357

Don yes it is up to the individual ;however ,living on the edge or next to fire one can get hurt .Imo ,best to side on caution . Taking a cruise closer to the US is by far safer than in the med where ISIS or other terrorist groups remain much closer

I guess it depends on your personal philosophy. As far as I'm concerned, when it's your time, it's your time. If you're not in "place A" when it's your time, something else will occur in "place B". I'd rather live my life and die doing something I want to and that makes me happy than live in fear and die miserable and feeling like I never lived.

Oh joy... another 'let's all be afraid' thread.

There's more chance of me getting shot heading to the port in Miami than cruising the Med.

Have common sense? Yes.

Be afraid and don't travel ? No

Or being killed in a Auto accident.

I have thought about extremist hitting a soft target like a cruise ship for several years. Why have they not done it already, is it they cannot, or are the owners, YES paying ransom or have some control of them.

On a side note, many people smuggle stuff on the ships and complain about not being able to take many things on the ship, just think what could be smuggled on the ship in rum runners etc, kinda scary.

DON

Or under your bed with a pillow wrapped around your ears? But no need to worry, they're only the JV team anyway.

Seriously? we have had multiple attacks inside the USA. The article is simply flaming a possibility and mentioned all manner of possible targets. Cruise ships were only one among many mentioned. There are some 10 or 20 terrorist groups with significant weaponry. They have capability on 6 continents. so guess to be safe you stay home. Definitely do not go to the mall or grocery store. A trip to a National Park would risk an attack.

Got to remember in daily life there are risks in the US and everywhere else of mentally ill people attacking others. Movie theaters, schools, shopping malls, and even a Safeway grocery in little Tucson Arizona. The Daily Mail article is simply a puff piece that gives no meaning to anything. Sort of like the National Enquirer in the US.

Go cruising and be watchful but go out and enjoy your life.

Edited by az_tchr

I would hope that the cruise lines are taking a serious look at their security given the times we live in, that said - it is really up to the traveler to be alert and for goodness sake, if something appears not right - SAY SOMETHING to an official. All to often we don't want to speak up -- well no more.

An alert public is the best defense against terror. Oh and in Florida - we have the highest number of concealed carry permits. :D Won't do me any good on a ship but I certainly weigh the risk when making my travel decisions.

Good post, but just made me wonder...can you take your 'weapon' on board with a concealed permission. Being from Canada, didn't even think that one of my cruise mates might take issue with me at the dining room table if I didn't agree with their opinion. During one cruise, we did have a very ornery table mate who went off like a firecracker when someone disagreed with them.

You can bet the cruise ships have some type of measures on board. Did anybody know before it happened about the noise system that stopped a highjacking of a cruise ship near Africa. I believe it was a Silversea's ship.

Edited by dkjretired

ARGH! Another safety thread. A few have summed it up fine. One has choices in life and can certainly choose to lock themselves inside their own prison or just accept that nearly every activity in life carries a degree of risk. So since some folks here on CC choose to post everything that casts a scare into life we thought this link to info on "Safety" and "anxiety" disorders might be appropriate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_behaviors_(anxiety)

Personally, we understand that life is a limited term experience and love to travel and experience as much of this wonderful world as we can reasonably fit into our schedule. DW and I have managed to get to senior status without ever needing a prescription for Xanax, ******, etc. For those that prefer to live in their own personal prison....we do wish them the best. For most of the others here on CC, we look forward to meeting many of you on future trips.

Hank

A report from the Daily Mail is usually about as educated an opinion as something written by a child.

It's the most ill-informed, racist, homophobic rag in the UK. I refuse to have it in the house, let alone read the damn thing.