No more Captain's table

Livin Life

Just back from Reflection and with the implementation of Evening Chic nights, the Captain's Table has been eliminated from the MDR. It has been replaced by two 4 tops. It's a shame one of cruising's best traditions is no more. Appears to be another cutback by Celebrity. We can remember when the Captain's table was hosted almost every night, even by some junior officers.

The dress code ranged from a couple of tuxes, several suits and sport jackets, to some very funky clothes. Anything seems to go now.

Also gone was the Captain's Welcome toast on what used to be the first formal night. The officers briefly introduced themselves at the Senior Officer's cocktail party near the end of the cruise.

Sorry to hear that, even though we personally only got invited once, and that was hosted by an officer other than the Captain. It's too bad - this is one perk that was nice, is a long-time cruising tradition, and cost the cruise line very little $$. I am guessing that this is more related to the fact that the people they generally invited (Zenith, top suite guests, and so on) will now be dining in their own suite restaurant. Having to take a step 'back' and eat in the room with the common folk would be less special I guess:). (this is not meant to be a slam at those guests - you pay more, you get more; no problem)

The Captain's table is gone, but officers have done a bit of dining with passengers around the ship. Kind of "Captain's tables."

I must have missed the lack of the Captain's toast, either because I usually finish the sparkling wine before the toast or because they never offered rye toast.

I thought I had read/heard that there were going to be different 'captain's tables' around the ship - in specialty restaurants, etc. and more of them, rather than the big production deal they do in the MDR. We have had the experience twice. It's a fun evening but certainly wouldn't make or break my cruise. In November we were with the staff captain and he was very funny and charming. Great people at the table. We were in a Celebrity Suite but one other couple was in a regular verandah cabin and another was in Aqua Class and both of them had only sailed Celebrity a couple times. So it's not always the big suites. It's pretty automatic to get an invitation if you're in CS and above. But sometimes the captain's club hostess asks butlers or room stewards "who is nice?" and that's another way invitations are given.

I figure we'll let it all shake out a bit - the dress code (which absolutely doesn't even hit my radar as far as who is wearing what or not) and the captain's tables or not. So much new right now, it will likely take time to sort out.

Captain's table is not gone. It is just not in the MDR anymore. I have family who recently dined on a Solstice class ship with the Captain, they do so on almost every Celebrity cruise they take. This time they dined in the wine cellar private room. They said it was very nice. They were told they still do it, just it will be in various other locations on all the ships.

Having it there cannot be a "longstanding tradition" as Luminae is fairly new..

Have cruised with X for many yrs in MDR, now BLU..never invited to CapTable ,never asked to be invited, and did not feel slighted..but for many others I know it was a very big treat to be at that special table.

We stopped going to the CapToast when it changed from a gala cocktail party with music, food, drinks, etc on the first formal night (modern luxury)...and was replacd by a receiving line and presentation from the stage in the theatre.

The Senior Officer's party is a much more enjoyable social event these days!

Edited by hcat

No loss it was just an elitist function that excluded the majority of the passengers.

We saw many of the same people at that table night after night. The time has come to move on from that tradition...

We saw many of the same people at that table night after night. The time has come to move on from that tradition...

I would feel better about it if there was a fee to dine with the Captain. At least everyone would have a chance at the experience. Ships are getting to big and carrying way to many passengers. The event just isn't practical anymore.

The change was made in December.

Actually a significant upgrade.

Now ALL of the senior officers tables are held in the specialty restaurants.

Depends where the specific officer prefers.

Includes Blu, Luminae, Murano and Tuscan.

Instead of the slightly modified MDR menu you get the specialty restaurant menu.

MUCH better food.

Also MUCH better service.

Dined with the Captain on the Connie and Equinox in OceanLiners/Murano wine cellar in January.

They bring in numerous staff to place/remove the plates simultaneously.

Much quieter and easier to hear than the MDR !!!

Only downside was the tableside prep occurred on the cart outside the wine cellar since it would not fit !!!!

Most ships plan on keeping the big table in the MDR for use by large families.

To me no loss. I always found the table too big to hold a real conversation with people any more than two seats away from you and the dining room is noisy. Much nicer in the quieter venues and spread the love around a bit with a number of tables hosted by an officer to give more a chance.

Phil

No loss it was just an elitist function that excluded the majority of the passengers.

Why the negativity? We'll probably never be invited but I'm sure those that do find it a bit of treat. These types of comments always appear envious to me.

We were never invited to the Captain's table, and personally I am glad to see the end of formal nights. Perhaps it's because we're older and haven't cruised with one particular line a great deal. We don't like shlepping a ton of luggage either, as we cruise to relax and see a few islands, not to dress up.

Why the negativity? We'll probably never be invited but I'm sure those that do find it a bit of treat. These types of comments always appear envious to me.

There was another thread around here yesterday with the same undercurrent. I don't know what's up here at the moment. Just seems like some don't like the thought of another getting more. News is it happens and it's called life!

Phil

We have been lucky to enjoy the Captain`s table on most of our X cruises. We have never been in a large suite only sky suite. Have met many wonderful people. Our last cruise we dined with staff captain in Murano`s wine room. Much better and easy to talk with only 8 people.

We once sat at the table with the Cruise Connection bus driver at the lunch stop in Naples, Fl on the way to FT. Lauderdale. Driving the bus is pretty much the same as driving a boat so I guess that counts with dining at a Captain's table.

I was invited to the Captain's Table once but declined as they would not give me a different meal then what was offered as I have a special diet. I could not drink at the time as well. It was nice to be offered it . I found a rose in my room that night. At the time I was in an Aqua Suite.

I seen the Captain the next day. He was very polite about it.

Edited by CaptData