Royal Caribbean: "We reserve the right to alter an itinerary"

Anna5

What a lousy concept:

You pay over two thousand to see something, but have to sit trapped on the ship the entire cruise. The ship didn't go to the promised port, and we got only a short announcement. No facts, no profound explanation, no plan B, no compensation.

Maybe the strategy is to keep people and their money on board. The Internet access cost 20 dollars/day per device and didn't even work. A glass (= plastic cup) of cheap wine cost 10 dollars. Everything seem to serve company's money collection.

What a lousy concept:

You pay over two thousand to see something, but have to sit trapped on the ship the entire cruise. The ship didn't go to the promised port, and we got only a short announcement. No facts, no profound explanation, no plan B, no compensation.

Maybe the strategy is to keep people and their money on board. The Internet access cost 20 dollars/day per device and didn't even work. A glass (= plastic cup) of cheap wine cost 10 dollars. Everything seem to serve company's money collection.

The itinerary change is in the cruise contract you sign, if you read it. I never hand over my money unless I know the terms of any contract.

So far as I know all cruise lines reserve the right to change itineraries--and I do not think I would want one which does not.

Weather, high seas (sort of weather), changing political situations, striking dock workers, etc there are a myriad of valid reasons to skip a port, change ports, etc.

Nearly 50% of the cruises I have been on have had at least one change (we tend to sail in times of year when the weather is more likely to be an issue, though we also had a port change away from Egypt a few years back in the midst of the Arab Spring, and did not stop in Athens because of a strike, etc.).

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Seems you parted with "over two thousand dollars" without ever even reading the cruise contract - not smart on your part. The cruiseline is a business, not a charity - however, they do not simply cancel ports for absolutely no reason. Maybe if you were a little more specific - ship, sailing date, itinerary, someone just might be able to help you understand why ports were canceled.

What port did you miss? What ship were you one and when did you sail?

As others have stated, it's just not RC. We had it happen to us with Princess too. If you had discovered CC prior to your cruise and missed port you might have leanred more about cruising.

If you felt "trapped" on the ship, perhaps crusing is not the holiday for you.

Nearly 50% of the cruises I have been on have had at least one change (we tend to sail in times of year when the weather is more likely to be an issue, though we also had a port change away from Egypt a few years back in the midst of the Arab Spring, and did not stop in Athens because of a strike, etc.).

I've been on 29 cruises. I've cruised in every month. I've yet to miss a port, even when I thought we would (windy day before going into Grand Cayman). Remind me not to book any cruises you are on. "Nearly 50%" :eek:

What a load of bull.

It happens so rarely that I highly doubt the extra money, if any, they make off that one cruise would be significant to their bottom line.

And of course the adverse publicity sucks.

If lines started doing that commonly, far fewer people would cruise.

OMG, if you felt you were "trapped" I guess cruisng is not for you. We have all missed ports for various reasons, but they were always very good reasons.

It really sucks to miss a port you were expecting to visit. That's travel, there are no guarantees.

It really sucks to miss a port you were expecting to visit. That's travel, there are no guarantees.

Especially when you are on a cruise ship.

What port did you miss? What ship were you one and when did you sail?

As others have stated, it's just not RC. We had it happen to us with Princess too. If you had discovered CC prior to your cruise and missed port you might have leanred more about cruising.

If you felt "trapped" on the ship, perhaps cruising is not the holiday for you.

But it's not even that the OP needed to discover CC. It's that if the OP is going to get this upset, maybe they should've read the contract.

So, if they didn't divert to a different itinerary due to, say, political rioting, would you still be voicing your complaint? It's not usually a bad thing. A plan B on a cruise ship is better than plan A in my cubicle. :)

I'd bet the OP would definitely still be voicing their complaint, except they'd be blaming Royal for letting them off in a dangerous place.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

What a lousy concept:

Eye agree. Ewe are write. Weigh two go RCI. Awl about thee money.

What a lousy concept:

I agree. Those armed guards are overkill.:rolleyes:

But it's not even that the OP needed to discover CC. It's that if the OP is going to get this upset, maybe they should've read the contract.

100% correct. Prior to our first ever cruise I read our contract front to back and word for word. Since then I have barely glanced at it.

What discovering CC in advance might have done is given the OP a heads up that a certain ports might get missed on a regular occurance for specific reasons. For example Grand Cayman or CoCo Cay, due to the weather. The few times at Labadee for protests.

Needless to say in the OP's case it is to late. Their ship had sailed.;)

i wonder if the OP was on that Anthem cruise - seemed like they were commenting on the free things they got not being worth the extra cost of other things they paid for.

Regardless...

I have a missed port story...1st Mediterranean cruise and wanted something unusual. A couple Morocco stops fit the bill and we paid a premium for them. Two days before we were to leave, Morocco was cancelled (tour groups on cruise before ours were hassled and they felt it was unsafe) and Spain stops added. It was too late to get a tour to Alhambra as the ship hadn't known they would be stopping (didn't know about Cruise Critic and Tripadvisor for advice back then). The stops were fine, as was the entire cruise, but the only reason we chose that particular itinerary was for the unusual Morocco stops.

I probably wouldn't have cared so much if it was a Caribbean itinerary (one island is the same to me, and I also wouldn't mind having to stay on the ship). If you sail at certain times of the year, you can expect this as well. But, mine was just unexpected and the change not really comparable IMO. But, I also knew it was their right and it was for our safety.