Cabin service only once a day??

jealdaka

Even if true, if your room is done to your liking (in terms of the number of refreshes), why do you care? Our cabin steward on the Sunshine last month handled 35 (including the captain's suite I might add) with an assistant. Same for the cabin steward down the hall, had conversations with both of them. They also said the biggest obstacle to getting their job done was getting in the rooms (people sleeping late or staying in their rooms in the evening) which adds value to offering the "option" of alerting what the cruiser would like (including twice a day).

I don't. I didn't care before, and I don't care after. All I care about is the quality they perform for me. If less than adequate, I will respond with a pay adjustment. If I'm told they will only service me once daily, it will be an automatic cut in half to $8 a day. If they lie to me and tell me that this is the only thing offered, the entire amount will be removed. I do not reward liars.

Even if true, if your room is done to your liking (in terms of the number of refreshes), why do you care? Our cabin steward on the Sunshine last month handled 35 (including the captain's suite I might add) with an assistant. Same for the cabin steward down the hall, had conversations with both of them. They also said the biggest obstacle to getting their job done was getting in the rooms (people sleeping late or staying in their rooms in the evening) which adds value to offering the "option" of alerting what the cruiser would like (including twice a day).

That's why I think it's actually a good idea to have the cards. It has the potential to make things more efficient, and the stewards should have more time to devote to those who want 2 a day service. I don't doubt that the original intent was to cut-back services for those who didn't know better, but in the end it may just be a win. I would take things a step further and have cards with 1-2 hour windows. I've been in some hotels that offer that option. In the old days you could communicate directly with your steward, but in our more recent cruises, I usually don't even run into him/her. Remember when they used to ask when your assigned dining time was? It was for our convenience, and also allowed for the stewards to be more efficient.

I don't want the stewards to be overworked for their sake, and I prefer the same level of service, not just the same number of refreshes. I'm fine with offering the choice, if the stewards are not assigned so many cabins that they can't adequately accommodate cruisers wanting both.

We sailed the Sunshine over Christmas and had a wonderful time. We loved the ship. But, our stateroom service was not at the same level it has been in the past. The upper beds were left down and the trundle was left out. Once, our wet beach towels disappeared and were not replaced until I asked. Once, the five towels were replaced by four and I had to ask for a fifth. One night, we received very minimal turndown service (really just the Funtimes) but the towel animal appeared the next morning. It took some time for the sand the kids tracked in to be cleaned up. Etc.

These were all relatively minor points that did not spoil the cruise. I didn't have the heart to complain and still tipped extra because it was Christmas. But, now that I've read other guest reports, I'm concerned it's a trend toward less service in general.

I don't. I didn't care before, and I don't care after. All I care about is the quality they perform for me. If less than adequate, I will respond with a pay adjustment. If I'm told they will only service me once daily, it will be an automatic cut in half to $8 a day. If they lie to me and tell me that this is the only thing offered, the entire amount will be removed. I do not reward liars.

So you would deprive everyone of a tip because you are mad at the steward? Why should the dining room staff lose out? I really wish Carnival would build the tips into the price of the cruise,thereby eliminating the opportunity for people to weild those grats over the heads of the crew in a power trip

So therefore you do deal in hypotheticals. No facts to back up statement other than you heard or read a rumor somewhere.

I believe this 'statement' was posted by a recent cruiser who said he spoke to a room steward and was told about the increase from 25 to 35 cabins - whether or not this is true depends on the source I presume?

Not sure how one would get confirmation of this fact as I don't think this would be public knowledge??? (but does seem to indicate the possible switch from once to twice daily service if this is in fact the case....?)

Edited by Froufie

I believe this 'statement' was posted by a recent cruiser who said he spoke to a room steward and was told about the increase from 25 to 35 cabins - whether or not this is true depends on the source I presume?

Not sure how one would get confirmation of this fact as I don't think this would be public knowledge??? (but does seem to indicate the possible switch from once to twice daily service if this is in fact the case....?)

As the great Billy Joel said: "cause it's all a matter of trust" I said it, I did not lie, I don't lie, you can believe it or not but it sure as heck happened...

As the great Billy Joel said: "cause it's all a matter of trust" I said it, I did not lie, I don't lie, you can believe it or not but it sure as heck happened...

I believe you :) - was just answering the above poster (klfrodo) who was insinuating this was somehow 'hypothetical' or made up.... :cool:

I believe you :) - was just answering the above poster (klfrodo) who was insinuating this was somehow 'hypothetical' or made up.... :cool:

No worries, I had been wanting to use the Billy Joel line for a while now. :)

So you would deprive everyone of a tip because you are mad at the steward? Why should the dining room staff lose out? I really wish Carnival would build the tips into the price of the cruise,thereby eliminating the opportunity for people to weild those grats over the heads of the crew in a power trip

Power trip indeed. Its not only cruel it make absolutely NO sense for people to do this.

I been rallying and sending commentary to Carnival about building tips into the criuse price but apparently I'm one of a few, because people like to take it out on the little guy rather then complain to corporate where it belongs.

You are very correct - no way to know for sure.

What is funny is that the people who swear that the steward telling them how many rooms they do is telling the truth, but then that same steward is telling them they can only choose AM OR PM. Hmmmm. If he is not telling the truth about one thing is he telling the truth about the other. Just Saying.

That's why I think it's actually a good idea to have the cards. It has the potential to make things more efficient, and the stewards should have more time to devote to those who want 2 a day service. I don't doubt that the original intent was to cut-back services for those who didn't know better, but in the end it may just be a win. I would take things a step further and have cards with 1-2 hour windows. I've been in some hotels that offer that option. In the old days you could communicate directly with your steward, but in our more recent cruises, I usually don't even run into him/her. Remember when they used to ask when your assigned dining time was? It was for our convenience, and also allowed for the stewards to be more efficient.

Too many anytime diners and too many cabins for each steward now. Having a check off box for the times is unrealistiic. Would need more fixed dining time and less cabins per steward to make it work.

For better or worse that is the system Carnival has set up. You should ask Carnival why a guests dissatisfaction in one area penalizes those in other area and let them know you think it is unfair. The guest didn't design the system.

And it has nothing to do with a power trip. Good service = gratuity charges paid. Great service = gratuity charges paid + more cash. Poor service or management unable or unwilling to correct a service issue = gratuity charges reduced by some amount.

Power trip indeed. Its not only cruel it make absolutely NO sense for people to do this.

I been rallying and sending commentary to Carnival about building tips into the criuse price but apparently I'm one of a few, because people like to take it out on the little guy rather then complain to corporate where it belongs.

LOL, oy vey, there's no power trip and no one likes to take it out on the little guy. We just want a good level of service provided for the price we pay. It is sad carnival created a system to penalize everyone when one worker doesn't perform satisfactory for the guest. But, on the flip side, the system also allows for the rewarding of individual workers when they perform great. That is why it is a gratuity and why it is discretionary.

Carnival could take some of their record profits and even pay their employees; radical thought.

If you put the tip into the cruise price, you cannot call it a tip or a gratuity any more. It becomes part of Carnival's income and has to have taxes paid on anything that is income over expenses. If it remains a gratuity then Carnival is not responsible for taxes. That way the entire gratuity has to be turned over to the crew members. It is then the responsibility of the crew members to pay taxes on the tips if the place where they pay taxes requires it. To make the accusation that you are one of only a few complaining is because people (implying everyone not complaining) "like to take it out on the little guy" is a really unsupportable argument. But I bet you will take a shot at it.

LOL, oy vey, there's no power trip and no one likes to take it out on the little guy. We just want a good level of service provided for the price we pay. It is sad carnival created a system to penalize everyone when one worker doesn't perform satisfactory for the guest. But, on the flip side, the system also allows for the rewarding of individual workers when they perform great. That is why it is a gratuity and why it is discretionary.

Carnival could take some of their record profits and even pay their employees; radical thought.

I bet you have absolutely no idea of what Carnival pays their employees in salaries. If you think you know, you better add to that the other benefits that Carnival supplies their employees as part of their contracts. Minor things like lodging, food, entertainment facilities, medical facilities where they can get their health care needs, uniforms that are laundered and pressed so they do not have to purchase their own work clothes, and travel expenses to the ship and home for the vacations that they get.

Edited by Retired_to_Cruise

I haven't read all the pages of this thread but adding my own two cents to this.

How many people have bosses who keep expecting more out of you Will customers expect less service?

Sorry but dont think we should just be sheep and go along and be satisfied with less service.

AGREE 100% - more cutbacks getting less for more $ and I have been taking my business elsewhere a lot.

Can I ask a stupid question?

What are the benefits to having the room serviced twice a day? I'm used to once a day service' date=' in the AM, like when staying at a hotel; they come along, and change the sheets, and remake the bed, and restock any towels or shampoos, and soaps.

Am I missing something here?[/quote']

It is a level of service I am used to getting. It is the wow factor of having someone else make my bed for me and give me dry towels after my morning shower. Turning my bed down for me so when I arrive after dinner, the lights are low, bed turned down and more dry towels in the bathroom and a new Fun Times so I can look to see what the next day activities are and start planning my day. Oh and of course the towel animal so I can take more pictures. These are things of why I cruise. Call it silly but I work hard all year long and this is what cruising has represented to me since I started cruising.

I used to vacation in California and visit amusement park after amusement park and stay in hotels where I often didn't even want maid service. But a cruise is different. If I wanted to stay at a hotel, I would choose a land vacation. I choose a cruise because I want to be pampered. Someone else cooks for me, serves it to me, cleans up the dishes, makes my bed for me, cleans my messy bathroom, and all I have to do is sit by the pool and say "waiter, my drink is empty" :D I want twice a day service because when I'm on a cruise, I usually take 2 showers a day. Land vacations I don't always do that. Towels don't dry in a cruise cabin so fresh towels are needed if showering more than once a day.

My last cruise in November on the Freedom, I wasn't asked if I wanted anything other than what I have been used to. Maybe that is because I'm platinum. I don't know but I wasn't asked. If I had been asked, I would have said twice.

I haven't read all the pages of this thread but adding my own two cents to this.

AGREE 100% - more cutbacks getting less for more $ and I have been taking my business elsewhere a lot.

It is a level of service I am used to getting. It is the wow factor of having someone else make my bed for me and give me dry towels after my morning shower. Turning my bed down for me so when I arrive after dinner, the lights are low, bed turned down and more dry towels in the bathroom and a new Fun Times so I can look to see what the next day activities are and start planning my day. Oh and of course the towel animal so I can take more pictures. These are things of why I cruise. Call it silly but I work hard all year long and this is what cruising has represented to me since I started cruising.

I used to vacation in California and visit amusement park after amusement park and stay in hotels where I often didn't even want maid service. But a cruise is different. If I wanted to stay at a hotel, I would choose a land vacation. I choose a cruise because I want to be pampered. Someone else cooks for me, serves it to me, cleans up the dishes, makes my bed for me, cleans my messy bathroom, and all I have to do is sit by the pool and say "waiter, my drink is empty" :D I want twice a day service because when I'm on a cruise, I usually take 2 showers a day. Land vacations I don't always do that. Towels don't dry in a cruise cabin so fresh towels are needed if showering more than once a day.

My last cruise in November on the Freedom, I wasn't asked if I wanted anything other than what I have been used to. Maybe that is because I'm platinum. I don't know but I wasn't asked. If I had been asked, I would have said twice.

Well said. My feelings exactly.

30 or so cruises with Carnival and also morning and evening service and we tip accordingly.

If service becomes once daily why would we tip the same? Feel bad for stewards but dont think we will pay for something we stopped getting?

Agree. Automatic gratuity goes UP and service goes Down, down, down... Not the stewards fault, but it does trickle down. Economics.

This poster always attacks others who make statements that they will or might reduce gratuity amounts. They forget it is not mandatory and as you stated discretionary. :confused:

excellent post.:)

Excuse me what if someone get horrible service they should just suck it up...... I had horrible service on my last cruise and though I didn't remove the tips you can believe that I complained when I got home. I'm cruising again in June and you can bet if I have service like I did last May I might remove my tips. I don't think that is taking it out on the little guy as you say but simply me rewarding or not rewarding for bad service which is what a tip is all about correct. I can remove all tips and tip the dining staff and I already tip my bar waiters per drink they bring.

Personally I do not care if they add it to my cruise fare or not if I get horrible service I will be raising cane you can bet that.