more attacks in europe now what? cancel our europe cruise

belli2006

Attacks happen right here in the US, too. We have terrorism, plus all the school, movie theatre, church, etc. bombings and shootings. You have to do what you are comfortable with, but it's not like you are assured of safety even in your own home town.

You have a higher chance of getting killed in an automobile accident on your way to the grocery store than being killed by a terrorist. You can live your life in fear, or choose to live your life.

we have a 1 mnt trip booked Europe cruise, that goes to Italy, spain , france (Marseille) , Greece, Montenegro, Slovenia, Croatia, we leave sept 1 2016

and more attacks today what do we do cancel?

Only you can make that decision.

Best answer yet. Do what you think is best for you and forget what anyone thinks here.

I have a European cruise booked in September as well and the thought didn't cross my mind to cancel. I trust and believe that all will go amazingly well with my trip and you only live once ... If something happens, then it was meant to happen and there's no way I could've changed it.

Go on your trip and have an amazing time! I know I will :D

When you give into fear, the terrorists win. When I was a kid, terrorist attacks were not uncommon where we lived. I remember my mom being absolutely indignant at the idea that we would change our lives because of terrorists. That has really stuck with me. You have to decide what is right for your family. We will be going to Europe next summer and I will admit to some nervousness, but there would have to be a specific "do not travel" warning about a place I was planning to go for me to avoid it.

Two total posts, both today, both on the same subject, one in RCI and one in Celebrity. No profile, no location, etc.

Not saying the OP isn't real, or really concerned, or that this shouldn't be a risk based topic of discussion for any traveller, but...

If it were me, I would go and enjoy it. The most recent incident would perhaps give me a little more worry about international travel, but only slightly so. Sure, only you can make that decision, but I think you already knew that and were really just looking for others' opinions and perspectives. :) Hope you have a great trip, whether you decide to stick with your Med cruise or change to something different.

we have a 1 mnt trip booked Europe cruise, that goes to Italy, spain , france (Marseille) , Greece, Montenegro, Slovenia, Croatia, we leave sept 1 2016

We would not go because you never know what happens next.

You are not going to be near Brussels.

We will go both on our cruises and our DIY to Amsterdam and Brussels.

Do what you think is right for your family.

I don't have a European cruise coming up, so I can't really put myself in your shoes. But there is so much truth it what others have said, if you live in fear, you won't enjoy it.

Live life to the fullest and enjoy every opportunity you have.

The more evil tries to suppress the world, the more determined I am to experience the world. Screw um.

That's exactly the way I look at it. We're still going to Istanbul prior to our cruise on the Jewel. And we're off to Brussels on the Vision next September. I'm not going to cower in my doorsteps because of bullies--and that's what I think terrorists are. Bullies.

My heart breaks for the innocent who are caught in their paths.

I'm booked on the Independence 2017 and we port in Brussels. I am MORE motivated to go now. These sites are not guaranteed to be here 10-20 years from now because some terrorist may destroy them. I want to see as much of the world as I can while it is in tact.

That's exactly the way I look at it. We're still going to Istanbul prior to our cruise on the Jewel. And we're off to Brussels on the Vision next September. I'm not going to cower in my doorsteps because of bullies--and that's what I think terrorists are. Bullies.

My heart breaks for the innocent who are caught in their paths.

I'm booked on the Independence 2017 and we port in Brussels. I am MORE motivated to go now. These sites are not guaranteed to be here 10-20 years from now because some terrorist may destroy them. I want to see as much of the world as I can while it is in tact.

FWIW, on European cruises they list Zeebrugge as Brussels, but Zeebrugge is nowhere near Brussels, it's about 70 miles away and almost a 90 minutes drive. I guess in US normes, it isn't far away, but for us in Belgium, that's quite a distance. Take care all and enjoy all your cruises

Cindy

If it helps to put it in perspective - we are from the UK and travel to the States regularly, but each time we go we are concerned about travelling over there. So it's definitely a two way street.

I wonder whether the fear in us all is based on foreign travel in general - just being away from your home country, especially travelling via air, but actually on any public transport in general in this era can feel daunting, and every time there is a terrorist attack, in whatever country, it can make us feel as though we shouldn't be travelling.

I am taking my two children to New York in October, it will be their first visit and my first trip since 9/11 and I admit, whilst probably irrational, I am slightly anxious about taking them.

I'm just saying this, as we all have these worries regardless of where we live, and are to varying degrees all under risk of terrorist attacks, be that at home or elsewhere - but do we stop living our lives? If so, these terrorists have already won.

Just my personal opinion and viewpoint, but when it's your time, it's your time no matter where you are, what time if day it is, or what you're doing. Not saying I'm right, but I have in my mind, that things are already pre-determined. That's how I at least am able to live life to its fullest.

Just my personal opinion and viewpoint, but when it's your time, it's your time no matter where you are, what time if day it is, or what you're doing. Not saying I'm right, but I have in my mind, that things are already pre-determined. That's how I at least am able to live life to its fullest.

My thoughts exactly. I kinda roll my eyes at the people who after a crash are all "I was supposed to be on the plane..." Yeah, and if it was your time something else would have gotten you.

I am in no way changing my plans to fly to Barcelona in 97 days and board the Brilliance for a Med/Venice cruise. I am far more worried about getting randomly slashed or stabbed while riding the subway on just walking down the street in NYC than I am about any aspect of this trip. (Not that that worry is changing how I live my daily life. I just keep my eyes open more than I used to. As I will when traveling.)

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

We are currently on a river cruise on the Rhine in Germany. We travelled by train from London via Brussels to Cologne in Germany on Sunday and will be returning to London the same way this coming weekend, all being well.

Everyone is talking about the terrible events in Brussels this week. But the cruise is full and train services operating to most destinations.

As somebody else said, this really could happen anywhere at anytime, so it has to be a personal decision whether to travel or not.

I actually considered staying in Brussels for 2 days before the cruise this week, but decided to carry on straight to Germany instead, a decision which I am now very grateful for.