more attacks in europe now what? cancel our europe cruise

belli2006

People say "be vigilant", but without a side arm how does vigilance protect you?

I actually feel much less safe with multiple random people carrying sidearms, because I know how little screening goes into determining who is safe to carry one.

Being aware of your surroundings, always knowing where your exts are and reporting suspicious behavior goes a long way to keeping safe.

Just think how the posts on Cruise Critic would look if ISIS and its band of religious fanatic hamster brains got there hands on a sub. As long as the world press over covers these tragic events with hours and days of free advertising for the bad guys expect the bad guys to take advantage of the coverage to press their demented agenda. Until that happens all we can really do is pay attention to what is around us and try to avoid large public crowds where we can. Staying at home quivering in a 'safe room' really isn't an option for me. "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself". See you on board.

Just think how the posts on Cruise Critic would look if ISIS and its band of religious fanatic hamster brains got there hands on a sub. As long as the world press over covers these tragic events with hours and days of free advertising for the bad guys expect the bad guys to take advantage of the coverage to press their demented agenda. Until that happens all we can really do is pay attention to what is around us and try to avoid large public crowds where we can. Staying at home quivering in a 'safe room' really isn't an option for me. "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself". See you on board.

ISS just needs to check E-BAY..

This Whiskey Class" Submarine was decommissioned in 1991. This submarine is open to many possibilities, including adventure tourism or active military service. It was rated to a depth of 200 meters or 650 Feet.

VESSEL IDENTIFIER: PI12 This Whiskey Class" Submarine was decommissioned in 1991. This submarine is open to many possibilities, including adventure tourism or active military service. It was rated to a depth of 200 meters or 650 Feet

Price: U.S. $550,000.00

PI12-2.jpg (55565 bytes)

DIMENSIONS

Feet Meters

Length 246 75.2

Breadth 20.6 6.3

Depth 16 4.9

Speed 17 knots surface

13.5 knots submerged

Range 12,000-15,000 Miles

Torpedo Tubes 533 mm bow-4, stern-2

Active torpedo's can be found on black market site.. silk road..

Best to book a cabin on the life boat deck..happy cruising

There are certain countries I don't want to visit. The European ones recently hit by terrorist attacks aren't among them. I lived in London during part of the IRA terrorism campaign against British rule. I never worried, but I'm sure my mother did.

So, if we decide not to go to certain places the Terrorists are winning. I have news for you guys, they are winning. Whilst our Leaders are fooling around eg. Obama doing the Tango in Argentina and UK Prime Minister taking a holiday in the safe Canary Isles people are getting murdered. We are Sitting ducks.

So, if we decide not to go to certain places the Terrorists are winning. I have news for you guys, they are winning. Whilst our Leaders are fooling around eg. Obama doing the Tango in Argentina and UK Prime Minister taking a holiday in the safe Canary Isles people are getting murdered. We are Sitting ducks.

OMG OMG OMG THE SKY IS FALLING! Or not.

Sometimes it appears from media reports that here in Europe we are threatened on all sides by terrorists. I can understand the concerns of those of you on the other side of the Atlantic, far away from the reality, that this is a scary place. But think for a moment what it means for those of us who live here. Did all the citizens of Paris batten down the hatches and stay at home after the Paris attack? Will the citizens of Brussels stop going to work, school, shopping etc? No of course not.

We just go about our daily lives as usual. As presumably do citizens of San Bernardino and other places in the US where there have been terrorist attacks .

Sometimes it appears from media reports that here in Europe we are threatened on all sides by terrorists. I can understand the concerns of those of you on the other side of the Atlantic, far away from the reality, that this is a scary place. But think for a moment what it means for those of us who live here. Did all the citizens of Paris batten down the hatches and stay at home after the Paris attack? Will the citizens of Brussels stop going to work, school, shopping etc? No of course not.

We just go about our daily lives as usual. As presumably do citizens of San Bernardino and other places in the US where there have been terrorist attacks .

Well said ...

Let us remember, Terrorism isn't a new concept. During the last one hundred years, civilization had to deal with Anarchists, the Irish Republican Army, Croatian Separatists, the F.A.L.N. (independent Puerto Rico), the KKK, the F.L.Q. (independent marxist Quebec), Basque Separatists, Isis, Hamas, JDL, Kurdish Separatists, and the list goes on. The point is we deal with it by living our lives.

True but most of them weren't intent on killing Westeners.

I have to say that I would have expected this comment more from an American since we have been woefully ignorant of international events and foreign affairs although that is changing given the 24 hour news cycle.

I lived in Italy, Germany, Belgium and Greece and traveled throughout Europe for 2 years in the 1970s and most of the 1980s and 1990s. In that time Europe had to contend with the IRA (Britain), the Red Brigades (Italy), the Red Army Fraction (Germany), the ETA (Spain/France), and 17th November (Greece). Those are only the groups I remember off the top of my head; unfortunately I probably left some out. They were all intent on killing "Westeners."

Edited by capriccio

I have to say that I would have expected this comment more from an American since we have been woefully ignorant of international events and foreign affairs although that is changing given the 24 hour news cycle.

I lived in Italy, Germany, Belgium and Greece and traveled throughout Europe for 2 years in the 1970s and most of the 1980s and 1990s. In that time Europe had to contend with the IRA (Britain), the Red Brigades (Italy), the Red Army Fraction (Germany), the ETA (Spain/France), and 17th November (Greece). Those are only the groups I remember off the top of my head; unfortunately I probably left some out. They were all intent on killing "Westeners."

Agreed, capriccio.

Moniquet's take isn't typical of us Brits, we tend to be more "stiff upper lip" ;).

JB :)

I should have added For their beliefs. Flame me if you want but I am with Trump on this issue. Different ball game. I lived 13 years in Spain during ETA doesn't make me an expert on it.

If it wasn't for their beliefs what was it for?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

WOW, after reading the above posts I can see why people should be deeply concerned about going on a cruise.

So, anyone past their cancel date wants to stay home, send me your tickets.

I will provide a detailed trip report when I get back. :D

Bob

Actually, for the record, Italian Anarchists set off a bomb in lower Manhattan in 1920 killing 30 people. It was believed Croatian Nationalists bombed LaGuardia Airport 1n 1975 killing 11 and seriously injuring 74. The bomb was said to be made using 25 sticks of dynamite and placed in a luggage locker at TWA. Also in 1975 the Puerto Rican extremest group the F.A.L.N. set off a bomb in Frances Tavern, a landmark building in lower Manhattan killing 4 people and injuring many. I can go on, but I have to go.

Terrorists are crazy and use politics as an excuse. This is a travel blog and the point of all this is that you go on traveling and live your life. Mark Twain, the American novelist said, “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.” He also said, Nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kind of people”.

Agreed, capriccio.

Moniquet's take isn't typical of us Brits, we tend to be more "stiff upper lip" ;).

Adam Walker and his ilk exist on both sides of the pond. It appears there are fewer on your side, so far.

Agreed, capriccio.

Stiff upper lip indeed. How old are you 80:rolleyes: the stiff upper lippers fought for our freedoms, they did not lie down and wait for the next attack due to political correctness. I think you are trying to portray a Britain that doesn't exist anymore...it's gone!

I think we are way off topic here. People visit places according to their perceptions and it is not up to us to try to convince them. Personally I would feel a bit guilty if I had tried to convince someone on a forum and then something happened. I am in London a lot but I do feel uneasy when the beards get on the underground with backpacks. I holiday in France too but seeing Police in So much gear they can hardly walk around Nice flower market doesn't fill me with confidence.