more attacks in europe now what? cancel our europe cruise

belli2006

I'm booked on the Independence 2017 and we port in Brussels. I am MORE motivated to go now. These sites are not guaranteed to be here 10-20 years from now because some terrorist may destroy them. I want to see as much of the world as I can while it is in tact.

Worry not as it is not possible to port in Brussels.

I did notice that the US did not put out a travel advisory to those of us in Europe when travelling to the States, about any risk to us getting shot by some nutter with a legal gun.

I will continue to travel throughout the world, whilst maintaining awareness of my surroundings wherever I am. Just as I do when crossing any road, because that is where I am at most risk if I do not look the correct way, when in foreign or home based areas. :eek:

With the US putting out a travel advisory tonight about traveling in Europe it would certainly make me think twice.

We have a 12 day Europe cruise, no way are we going to cancel, I should have picked a better date since we are leaving on 9/11. I remember flying after 9/11 and there was more armed military at airport than passengers.

We had a land tour to London and Paris just six weeks after the November Paris attacks. I never once considered cancelling.

Travel, for me, is the best way to teach my children about different cultures and people. I certainly don't want them growing up thinking our way is the only way to live.

We talked about why there was more security people in Paris, but it never once interfered with our enjoyment.

We have a cruise planned in a year out of Copenhagen, a place I have always wanted to visit and now have the opportunity to visit, only thing stopping my husband & I from going will be a medical emergency. I am concerned about these attacks, but while I am here on this earth, I am going to enjoy my life and see places I want to see until I am unable to.

Just my personal opinion and viewpoint, but when it's your time, it's your time no matter where you are, what time if day it is, or what you're doing. Not saying I'm right, but I have in my mind, that things are already pre-determined. That's how I at least am able to live life to its fullest.

My thoughts exactly !!!

We leave in 43 days for our Grand Mediterranean cruise and no way in heck would I consider canceling. (And we have cancel for any reason so we'd lose some money but not everything) I'm still mad they removed Turkey from our itinerary! Attacks can happen anywhere. I'm not going to let the terrorists win by staying home.

Several comments I agree with that have already been expressed:

1. If it's my time, it's my time. I d rather be traveling than going to the grocery store (or worse, cleaning!)

2. Travel broadens everybody's minds and there's so much to learn.

3. I want to see these sites before some terrorist decides to blow up a historically significant place and it's gone forever.

I plan to be aware of my surroundings (like you should do in any major city), bring my patience for increased security and have a wonderful time with my family making memories for years to come.

Two months from now we'll be in France for a 2 week river cruise (the Seine and the Rhone) booked last summer. After the Paris attacks we didn't even consider cancelling nor are we considering it now.

Given that we lived in Brussels for 3 1/2 years in the mid-1990s and I am very familiar with Zaventem Airport, I must admit that this attack hit me particularly hard. But I know, from watching the Pentagon burn on 9/11 from my office about 1 mile away and living through that aftermath in Washington DC, that the people of Brussels and Belgium will need our emotional and financial (with our tourist dollars) support just as those in Paris and France.

It is a sad commentary on the state of the world but I agree with other posters that altering our lives is seen as success by the terrorists. That is not a perception I want to convey. But everyone must make their own decision on whether to travel or not.

There is no safe haven any more - not even the US. DHS put out warnings for there as well as Europe.

"DHS is especially concerned that terrorist-inspired individuals and homegrown violent extremists may be encouraged or inspired to target public events or places."

https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/ntas/alerts/15_1216_NTAS_bulletin_0.pdf

Go and enjoy your cruise :)

Edited by Sentinal137

Reading this thread whilst sat in a hotel in Jerusalem (land based holiday). It had been booked for some time, before the wave of stabbings, etc really started, and we experienced about 5 minutes of doubt about coming and then thought 'what the hell, we're going and nobody is stopping us'.

We are having a great time, the weather is lovely and the country is wonderful. However, having said all of that, you have to do what is comfortable for you. Life is precious but if you give into these 'bastards' (no apology), then they have won.

we have a 1 mnt trip booked Europe cruise, that goes to Italy, spain , france (Marseille) , Greece, Montenegro, Slovenia, Croatia, we leave sept 1 2016

and more attacks today what do we do cancel?

Europe has a population of 740.000.000.

Those folk are there 12 months of every year, you are booked to be there for one month.

So this year Europeans are nine billion times more at risk than you.

But if you can't do the maths, best you cancel. :rolleyes:

JB :)

we have a 1 mnt trip booked Europe cruise, that goes to Italy, spain , france (Marseille) , Greece, Montenegro, Slovenia, Croatia, we leave sept 1 2016

Yes....cancel all your travel plans (international & domestic) and stay home behind locked doors :rolleyes:

Sorry...couldn't help but to respond in this way to your 2nd Cruise Critic post...where you're asking strangers to decide as to your personal safety concerns.

We have a Europe trip in the fall. Somebody reported an estimated 400 bad guys have been dispersed in teams throughout EU. I thought about it for a minute or two. I have decided it may be time to make a will just in case. But there is no way I will cancel. I think the actual risk is low and I am not really concerned for our personal safety. And I would hate to have my movements and actions dictated by a bunch of crazies.

We have a Europe trip in the fall. Somebody reported an estimated 400 bad guys have been dispersed in teams throughout EU. I thought about it for a minute or two. I have decided it may be time to make a will just in case. But there is no way I will cancel. I think the actual risk is low and I am not really concerned for our personal safety. And I would hate to have my movements and actions dictated by a bunch of crazies.

People say "be vigilant", but without a side arm how does vigilance protect you?

People say "be vigilant", but without a side arm how does vigilance protect you?

Keep your eyes open. If something looks funny, tell security. And put some distance between you and the item/person. Do three guys pushing single suitcases on carts look unusual? But one person thinking this looked funny could have made the difference. Or if the cab driver had reported the funny behavior of his passenger it also might have helped.

Lots of companies offer security awareness as part of their annual training. If you get a chance, attend a course.

And remember, the odds of you being in the location of one of these incidents when it happens is far less than the probability that you will have a car or plane accident on the way to the cruise. As others have said - don't let the terrorists win.

How lucky do you feel? This may seem like a silly response. But I am serious. While I think the attacks are awful and our govt and other govts need to take more appropriate action, I would not cancel a trip. In fact I flew back from Paris yesterday, a few years back we were traveling when there are threats involving liquids which caused changes in liquids we can carry on board flights. Now we have attacks outside the secure area of most airports... so suspect we will see more changes at airport for security. We flew out of Israel last week as well. The face to face interview I had with security at Tele viv was interesting... Israel has lots of experience.

I used to work. As part of my job I often travelled abroad. Not weekly or monthly but 2-4 weeks a year was not unusual. Prior to every trip, no matter how recently I had taken my previous trip, I was required to attend a lecture and discussion on travel safety. Many good tips (though I got tired of the repetition) but mostly they boiled down to "pay attention." Unless you are in the U.S. Wild West, of course you don't carry a sidearm and start shooting in case of suspicious behavior. But you can be the one walking away from a bombing rather than obliviously chatting on your cell phone while you amble toward the soon-to-be ground zero. You can be the one on the other side of a concrete wall rather than the one on the other side of a plate glass window. Ultimately you cannot be totally protected but you can develop habits that will lower your risk. It is no different than when you deal with a known threat, traffic, by looking for oncoming vehicles before stepping off the curb.

Just curious. How would a person with a handgun in the Brussels departures hall have made any difference the other morning?

Wouldn't have prevented the bombing, but could have taken out the perpetrators.

Well, I say "the perpetrators" - what I mean is a half a dozen people who might have been the perpetrators.

Two massacres of the innocents instead of one. :rolleyes:

JB