Recommendation out of 4 cruises for a 1st cruise

Tammynbrian

We are booked right now on a 10 night aboard Equinox and have decided we'd like to trade down to a 7 night - being away from our family for 11 days is too difficult for us and we wouldn't mind dropping the price of the room by $1000-$1200 and keeping an aft balcony.

We are looking at 4 different cruise itineraries and can't decide which. All are a similar price. They are all 7 nights.

Reflection - PR, St. Maarten, St. Kitts

Silhouette - PR, St. Thomas, St. Maarten

Reflection - Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Labadee

Summit - Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Kitts, St. Thomas, PR

We are in our late 30s and will be celebrating my wife's milestone birthday with our first cruise. We will be without our 3 daughters (2, 11, and 13).

We are looking mostly for a relaxing vacation with drinks holding umbrellas, relaxing on the beach and enjoying the water, some snorkeling (which we've never done before), and good food.

We wouldn't mind meeting and befriending some other couples on the cruise, though it's not our focus. We are not going to be doing heavy shopping, ziplining, parasailing. If we end up going to PR, we probably would take a trip to the fort, but that would be about it for our "history" excursions. If we are going to Barbados, we'd probably do a tour of Mount Gay (we used to live 30 minutes from Napa and really enjoyed the wineries there).

We are worried that the Summit itinerary is too port intensive and wont' give us time to just relax, plus not sure if we'd like this or one of the S-class better since we are looking forward to eating at some of the added fee restaurants. We are planning on trying to get the ultimate dining package IF it's available and we can get it before it sells out.

What does everyone think?

I'm an s class lover and silhouette is my favorite! Just the right size. Love to travel out of ft. Lauderdale instead of Miami. Prefer the eastern itinerary with the three days at sea with our favorite st. Maarten. Enjoy whichever you choose! Fun times ahead!

Without a doubt the Summit. We loved it so much the first time around, we are booked again in November. The ports are outstanding for snorkeling and sailing, and the size of the ship is just right for us. The friendliest crew members ever.

7 day cruise is a good choice!

Sihouette is a perfect ship and best itin for a first cruise and birthday Celebration...nice layout...good choices for specialty dinners, uncrowded..

we prefer Silho over Reflection...less crowded...but if you go with Ref, I'd pick the first itin..based on the ports, no tendering etc...easy breezy.

Summit is older, cozy..port intensive. Would Summit sail from PR? If so added expense for airfare ..etc.

Enjoy!

Edited by hcat

If you choose not to keep the 10 night Equinox cruise -which also happened to be our first cruise ever, and we obviously enjoyed it because we've done a quite a few since ;)- I would also vote for the Silhouette itinerary. You said that you wanted to snorkel, and St. Thomas/ St. John is the best place for that. Agree that the Summit itinerary is too busy if you're truly looking to relax.

We are booked right now on a 10 night aboard Equinox and have decided we'd like to trade down to a 7 night - being away from our family for 11 days is too difficult for us and we wouldn't mind dropping the price of the room by $1000-$1200 and keeping an aft balcony.

We are looking at 4 different cruise itineraries and can't decide which. All are a similar price. They are all 7 nights.

We are in our late 30s and will be celebrating my wife's milestone birthday with our first cruise. We will be without our 3 daughters (2, 11, and 13).

We are looking mostly for a relaxing vacation with drinks holding umbrellas, relaxing on the beach and enjoying the water, some snorkeling (which we've never done before), and good food.

We wouldn't mind meeting and befriending some other couples on the cruise, though it's not our focus. We are not going to be doing heavy shopping, ziplining, parasailing. If we end up going to PR, we probably would take a trip to the fort, but that would be about it for our "history" excursions. If we are going to Barbados, we'd probably do a tour of Mount Gay (we used to live 30 minutes from Napa and really enjoyed the wineries there).

We are worried that the Summit itinerary is too port intensive and wont' give us time to just relax, plus not sure if we'd like this or one of the S-class better since we are looking forward to eating at some of the added fee restaurants. We are planning on trying to get the ultimate dining package IF it's available and we can get it before it sells out.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2331395

Take a look at that thread for some good recent Reflection vs. Summit commentary.

You're really looking at 3 very similar cruises with one very different one. I would consider the two eastern Reflection/Silhouette itineraries one in the same. Minimal differences in ships with the bigger question being do you want to cruise from Miami or Fort Lauderdale. Reflection does hold more passengers, but I wouldn't let that sway my decision.

The western Reflection would eliminate a sea day. I prefer the Eastern Caribbean myself for the extra sea day and I think the scenery is prettier, but we are actually booked on the western Reflection for next year.

If you partake in all of the southern ports on Summit, you're in for a 'busy' trip. But of course you don't have to get off the ship at every port.

If I were picking I would go with eastern Reflection, eastern Silhouette, western Reflection and then Summit. I think you'll like the options the S Class ships has to offer and the mix of port days and sea days that the eastern itinerary offers.

Summit sails out of San Juan while the others depart from Florida. Depending on where you're coming from flights to Florida are usually cheaper and shorter.

I just recommended the Reflection Western itinerary to my brother in law for his first cruise. Yes, you have to tender at GC, but the snorkeling there is great as is the swimming with stingrays. Falmouth is just a small shopping stop, but Cozumel has a lot to offer and Labadee gives you a great beach day for free.

Suggest you check out cc's "ports of call" forum and the shore excursion offerings on X's web site to see which itinerary holds the greatest interest for you.

I'm always the contrarian. Saint Thomas is my absolute least favorite port in the Caribbean. Just always a zoo. My vote is for the Reflection. Beautiful ship and fun ports. My son and daughter-in-law, and stepdaughter and her husband, both just did the same itinerary (separately) and loved it. They had the exact same relaxing vacation in mind and it totally delivered. Just my two cents worth

I've been on the Summit 7 times going to Hawaii, New England, Bermuda and the Caribbean. I've been on the Silhouette 4 times for transAtlantic cruises and the Caribbean. I love both for different reasons.

It is an advantage to sail from Puerto Rico on the Summit where you are immediately in warm weather. Sailing from Florida in winter can give you cool weather on the way to your first port, and on the way back into Florida.

Sea days often translate into no where to sit by the pool. If you want to sit anywhere else there is plenty of room - just not near the pool, music or pool activities.

There are more activites/entertainment provided on sea days on Silhouette; with everyone off ship in port on the Summit there are many fewer ship activities.

The islands have wonderful beaches - much better than sitting around the pool or ship on sea days. Take the Summit and go to a beach or hotel beach on each of the islands. In Barbados we took a wonderful 6 hour private tour swiiming and snorkeling. on a catamaran. Antigua has gorgeous beaches. Take the ship's tour to St. John from St. Thomas and go to Trunk Bay for swimming and snorkeling - my favorite beach in the world (so far anyway!)

Murano on Summit is fabulous - so is the Tuscan.

The crew and officers on the Summit are wonderful. Ashley the Captains Club hostess is the best. Captain Kate is the first American female ship's captain and was seen everywhere on the ship.

I think the eastern Caribbean is more interesting and has better beaches.

Enjoy!

We have done the Summit route 4 times and love it. Yes, it is port intensive but you can always spend a day on board while everyone is ashore. We found with a bit of fare shopping that San Juan was not much more than FLL or MIA for us out of Newark. A side note, we have been on a number of S-Class ships now too and we do enjoy them but that southern Caribbean route would push us towards the Summit again.

We are not going to be doing heavy shopping, ziplining, parasailing.

We are worried that the Summit itinerary is too port intensive

First off, just because the ship goes to a lot of ports, it doesn't mean you have to get off the ship and "do things" there. We often stay on the ship on a port day when everyone else gets off. The pool deck is nearly deserted so we get our choice of chairs, and the pool bar is open so no issue there.

If you still want to minimize the ports, I'd eliminate the eastern Reflection itinerary. There's more to do in St. Maarten than there is in St. Kitts- take the ferry to the other side of the harbor and sit on the beach all day, yet plenty of restaurants right there. Or get a cab to Maho Beach and watch the jets come in right over the beach to land.

That said....My ex and I went on our first cruise when we were in our late 30's, like you. We sailed on Royal Carib but did the itinerary you've shown for Reflection going to Labadee, Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. We loved it!! Labadee makes for a really easy beach day. Grand Cayman likewise makes for a great beach day. Cozumel offers all kinds of options, from beaches/snorkeling to catamaran rides to dolphin adventures. Jamaica also offers as much or as little as you want. We did a catamaran ride that included a stop at Dunn's River Falls to climb the falls and a stop for snorkeling. This itinerary was a great intro to cruising and represented everything we'd ever pictured a tropical cruise being. Plus we still had 2 full sea days to just enjoy the pool etc. onboard. (I've now been to some of these ports many times and I'm not quite as enamored with them at this point, but at the time it was the perfect cruise for us and fully met our expectations, so I think you'd really enjoy it!)

These responses are absolutely wrong!!!!! (Always wanted to write that) The first law of cruising for people from North America is that you must get drunk on Cozumel, be perplexed by the t-shirt shops and tortuga rum cakes of Grand Cayman, suffer through Jamaica and lay claim to helping the poor in Haiti by visiting Labadee on your first cruise.:)

It's a LAW.

Edited by neverbeenhere

The Summit itinerary by far is the best. You have wonderful ports there. Barbados, Antigua, St. Lucia and St. Thomas, all our favorite ports in the Caribbean. Also, didn't think much of over commercialized St. Maarten.

We like the M class ships better. Fewer people.

Second choice would be Reflection with Cozumel and Grand Cayman.

First off, just because the ship goes to a lot of ports, it doesn't mean you have to get off the ship and "do things" there. We often stay on the ship on a port day when everyone else gets off. The pool deck is nearly deserted so we get our choice of chairs, and the pool bar is open so no issue there.

I agree completely. Some of our best times on a boat have occurred onboard during port days. It's almost like you have your own private boat! Sounds like you already have some thoughts for excursions on the islands that interest you most. If the island doesn't have any activity that interests you, stay on the boat.

For a first timer, I think any of the itineraries/ships would be great. Can't really go wrong.:D

I agree completely. Some of our best times on a boat have occurred onboard during port days. It's almost like you have your own private boat! Sounds like you already have some thoughts for excursions on the islands that interest you most. If the island doesn't have any activity that interests you, stay on the boat.

For a first timer, I think any of the itineraries/ships would be great. Can't really go wrong.:D

I think there are basically two kinds of people that cruise.

1) Port people- People that look for good itineraries and ports. While they enjoy the amenities on the ship like dining and entertainment, the main reason is to see interesting ports;

2) Boat people- People that cruise primarily for what the ship has to offer. These people tend to get spa treatments, more fine dining, and love the pool.

We are definitely Port people. We enjoy meeting friends on the ship, dining and happy hour as well as a visit to Persian Garden once in a while, the fitness center on sea days and wine tasting events. The only reason we would skip a port is if we have been there so many times that we have done what there is to do at that port. We are not beach people, since we live on Coastal Georgia on an island with a beach and don't want to become a high risk skin cancer patient. We have done two transatlantic, both B2B with European cruises and enjoyed that experience, since it was better than flying, however, it wasn't the main focus of the trip.

We do have a TA from Southampton to Miami October 29, 2017 with a stop in Nassau. This is one that we might just skip, even though we not been there. Based on comments on cc, it doesn't excite us. However, staying on the boat on any of our Asian, Australian, Alaskan, European or South American cruises would be a huge NO WAY. We want to see the World, not lay around the pool or visit a spa. We can do that at home.

Going out of the box. Skip the cruise and go to an adult only all-inclusive. Go to a great resort where you can enjoy being away from your kids and all kids. Enjoy the beach, pool, and relaxation. Take a snorkeling trip or two. I love cruising, but for your requirements I would really consider an all-inclusive.

I am sure whatever you select you will have a great time.

I prefer the Summit itinerary but having more seas days would be nice and some of the other ships are newer and nicer.

Given what you said including wanting sea days and also beach time I would go with the Silhouette itinerary. You can enjoy beaches at both St. Thomas and St. Maarten in particular. I think for your first cruise this would be a nice balance of ports and sea days.

Keith

I'm an M class fan so, I like Summit. I'm also a fan of the Southern Caribbean itinerary out of SJPR. Summit comes out of an extensive refurbishment dry dock in April. You'll get a sparklingly clean and fresh feeling ship. Your ship's Captain, her name is Captain Kate, is the first female Captain in Celebrity's fleet. Quite an accomplishment.

I agree with the OPs who point out you don't have to get off the ship. We love port days when we just stay aboard. However, I think you'd enjoy most of the ports on the Summit itinerary as first time cruisers. We did some 15 years and 30 Celebrity cruises later. If you go to the port section of the Cruise Critic web site or Trip Advisor you'll be able to see what kinds of things there are in these ports that might interest you. If you are beach people, there are some terrific beaches on this itinerary (not as good as the Eastern Caribbean but OK).

We've had multiple cruises on Celbrity's Solstice or S class ships as well. They are lovely, a little more airy and modern and handle the additional passenger load really well. The Ocean Cafe aboard the S class ships is layed out much better than on th M class ships (does not feel as crowded).

If you are being offered a drink package, take it. I also agree with your thoughts of taking the dining package but don't buy it until you are onboard. However, you have to do it as soon as you are onboard as this is getting to be a popular package. If you are also getting an OBC of any kind, you can pay for it with that. If you book early, you pay in advance.

Try the Martini Bar. You'll love it. If you get hooked on it like we have in the past, upgrade to the Premium package. It will pay for itself if you each have only one Martini a day.

Enjoy Cafe Al Bachio - Specialty Coffees and part of your drink package.

Make sure you see the production shows. They are fantastic.

First time in the Ocean Cafe, make sure you see all that is available before diving in. Try to get there early on the first day in the boarding process. Get aboard, walk all the way aft through all the folks standing around in the lobby area, go up to deck 10 and if you get there early enough, it will be pretty much empty. By 1pm it's mobbed. If the weather is nice, pick a seat outside at the Sunset Bar adjacent to the Ocean Cafe and all the way aft. All those seats will be gone by 1pm.

Do the same thing for your first breakfast. Go early.

I'm always the contrarian. Saint Thomas is my absolute least favorite port in the Caribbean. Just always a zoo. My vote is for the Reflection. Beautiful ship and fun ports. My son and daughter-in-law, and stepdaughter and her husband, both just did the same itinerary (separately) and loved it. They had the exact same relaxing vacation in mind and it totally delivered. Just my two cents worth

I am with you ... nothing for us to see in St Thomas. Not bad compared to the local neighborhood park but St Kitts is amazing and would take it over St Thomas in a heart beat.

While I love the Infinity and the Equinox, neither of those are in the running. I've never sailed on the Summit but would not enjoy the extra efforts for flights ..... however, that would be the itinerary I would choose in a heart beat!

Going out of the box. Skip the cruise and go to an adult only all-inclusive. Go to a great resort where you can enjoy being away from your kids and all kids. Enjoy the beach, pool, and relaxation. Take a snorkeling trip or two. I love cruising, but for your requirements I would really consider an all-inclusive.

OP said they were looking forward to dining at some of the specialty restaurants on board, which makes me thing good dining choices are important to them. For that reason, I can't recommend an all inclusive. I've been to 4 different ones over the years and almost without exception the food was complete crap at every single one. Breakfast buffets were standard buffets- nothing horrible, but nothing to write home about, and a couple had 1 venue that served something decent for lunch, but dinner was another story. Maybe you've had a better experience, but I'm 0 for 4 when it comes to dining at all inclusive resorts.

You may want to reconsider the 10 night, seven days can go by pretty fast. I understand the whole young children issue. But also keep in mind with a young family, getting away on vacation doesn't necessarily come easy or frequent. Chances are both you and your spouse have earned this chance to get away for a short while and spend time together. In the past few years my wife and I have extended our winter "week" vacation to 10 days minimum. The extra few days makes the vacation seem a lot longer and more relaxing. Just my opinion. If seven days is all you can swing there is nothing wrong with that. A cruise is a great way to relax without any worries. Everything is taken care of for you. The staff on any cruise line I have been on always does its best to treat passengers like royalty. I remember our first cruise 15 years ago my wife had to convince me to take. At that time I thought I was too young for a cruise. Boy was I wrong. I was impressed how simple, elegant, and relaxing it was not to worry about anything. Not to mention how much I love to eat. You really cant go wrong with any itinerary but if I had to choose I'd start with the eastern Caribbean.