Upgrade to Grand Suite - whaaaat?! ;)

Hello,

we've booked a balcony guarantee stateroom for our med cruise on the Vision OTS, stateroom was assigned some weeks ago on deck 7 (D1). Very nice.

Now I just wanted to check-in online, having a look into the booking dashboard.

:eek: :eek:

Stateroom number has changed into Grand Suite on deck 8.

We've never ever got upgrades. We've never cruised in a Grand Suite before... interior, outside, balcony... but never a suite.

What does it mean? Any amenities and services we don't think about, beside a lot of more space? What about gratuities?

Tell me everything about suite life on a cruise ship please. :D

Many greetings from Cachecruiser :)

Hello,

we've booked a balcony guarantee stateroom for our med cruise on the Vision OTS, stateroom was assigned some weeks ago on deck 7 (D1). Very nice.

Now I just wanted to check-in online, having a look into the booking dashboard.

Stateroom number has changed into Grand Suite on deck 8.

We've never ever got upgrades. We've never cruised in a Grand Suite before... interior, outside, balcony... but never a suite.

What does it mean? Any amenities and services we don't think about, beside a lot of more space? What about gratuities?

Many greetings from Cachecruiser :)

Thats amazing...congratulations..you will love the 'suite life'. Fabulous free upgrade

Thank you very much. I'm super excited, can't think about sleeping (it's 11 p.m. here ;) ).

Checked out there is no Concierce Club on the Vision. Are we allowed to join the Diamonds Lounge instead?

Yes there is. Deck 11.

vi_deck11_v2015_apr.gif

Congrats!!! I will say this, we were upgraded once to an Aqua Theater Suite on Oasis and it was incredible. The only thing we really wish we would have done was enjoy the benefits...I guess we were not used to it on a cruise, so we never really used it. The only time we used it was to get comedy club tickets after it was sold out. So my suggestion to you is, use it to its fullest, don't forget to use the "Suite Life" and enjoy!!!

Congrats!!! I will say this, we were upgraded once to an Aqua Theater Suite on Oasis and it was incredible. The only thing we really wish we would have done was enjoy the benefits...I guess we were not used to it on a cruise, so we never really used it. The only time we used it was to get comedy club tickets after it was sold out. So my suggestion to you is, use it to its fullest, don't forget to use the "Suite Life" and enjoy!!!

Oh my.

That is quite a shame.

:eek:

You will love the "suite life" just be careful of two things:

1. The fan bearer who will stand over you all day/night keeping you cool can sometimes give you a bit of a chill, so you may need a little jacket. :)

2. Once you experience the suite life it is REALLY TOUGH to go back.

Enjoy!

Whoa! Enjoy your upgrade!!! That's awesome!!

Congratulations!

Your gratuities will be $16 per person / per day now.

Suite perks:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=enhanced_program_for_suite_guests

My only eyebrow raising thing here is (and I'm not trying to start a tipping argument - I have no issues with tipping as it is. With the exception of this one question.)... The cruiseline can upgrade you randomly into a suite with no request on your part and you still have to pay the additional tips?? I know it's not a huge difference, but... As an example, for my upcoming cruise that would be an extra $36 as I'm solo. For a couple, that would be an extra $72. And so forth. Yes, in the great scheme of the cruise it's a drop in the bucket, but if you've budgeted and prepaid and so forth it could make a difference no matter how minor in planned things for the trip.

I could see if you asked for or especially paid for the upgrade, but it seems like if they do it randomly, they should pick up the difference. It's the principle of the thing to me. Maybe I'll just change my upgrade preferences to "no"...

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

Whoa! Enjoy your upgrade!!! That's awesome!!

My only eyebrow raising thing here is (and I'm not trying to start a tipping argument - I have no issues with tipping as it is. With the exception of this one question.)... The cruiseline can upgrade you randomly into a suite with no request on your part and you still have to pay the additional tips?? I know it's not a huge difference, but... As an example, for my upcoming cruise that would be an extra $36 as I'm solo. For a couple, that would be an extra $72. And so forth. Yes, in the great scheme of the cruise it's a drop in the bucket, but if you've budgeted and prepaid and so forth it could make a difference no matter how minor in planned things for the trip.

I could see if you asked for or especially paid for the upgrade, but it seems like if they do it randomly, they should pick up the difference. It's the principle of the thing to me. Maybe I'll just change my upgrade preferences to "no"...

I guess that's true. But when it comes down to it, the majority of cruisers won't bat an eye. They'll ether be too excited about the upgrade, or simply aren't worried about money. I don't think it's as big an issue as you make it out to be.

I guess that's true. But when it comes down to it, the majority of cruisers won't bat an eye. They'll ether be too excited about the upgrade, or simply aren't worried about money. I don't think it's as big an issue as you make it out to be.

I agree it's definitely a first world problem and not that big of one. Like I said, it's more the principal of the thing IMHO - kind of like giving someone a gift card to a restaurant that only covers part of a meal and KNOWING it only covers part of a meal.

Thank you. :)

Ah... I didn't have a look on deck 11. So nice, I think we will enjoy the Concierce Club. We love the Viking Crown lounge and it's nearby. :)

Cruise documents still have the old stateroom number written, I called our TA to clarify and to send us our new documents incl. new luggage tags.