What electronics do you bring?

kayred

None, I'm on vacation! I've been cruising 34 years, 28 cruises, many to far away places (don't care for the 7 day variety) just don't see a need to do the photo routine.

I don't use a cell phone at home, certainly don't need it on vacation! :) I do use the ship internet as I'm usually gone at least a month and need to pay bills, make sure things are o.k. with my house.

We may be on the excessive side [emoji848] but this is our list for most cruises:

2 - iPhones

2 - Apple watches with charging cables

2 - iPads

2 - Bose QC20i noise cancelling headphones

2 - Kinivo wireless headphones

1 - Kindle

1 - Bose SoundLink mini Bluetooth speaker

1 - PC laptop with charger (will be switching to a 15" MacBook with the next refresh)

1 - Epson DS30 Portable scanner (no documents to take home)

1 - Canon S100 with charger, spare battery and memory cards (this camera is getting a little out of date now but I still like to have a camera in addition to my iPhone)

2 - Two outlet 1' pass through extension cords (no surge suppressors on the ship)

I - assortment of USB micro, USB mini and lightning cables for charging

We leave all of the USB chargers at home and bring the compact Anker Power Port 10. With 10 ports and 60 watts output we can charge all of the devices we need to at one time.

Edited by IECalCruiser

We may be on the excessive side [emoji848] but this is our list for most cruises:

2 - iPhones

2 - iPads

1 - Kindle

1 - PC laptop with charger (will be switching to a 15" MacBook with the next refresh)

1 - Canon S100 with charger, spare battery and memory cards (this camera is getting a little out of date now but I still like to have a camera in addition to my iPhone)

2 - Two outlet 1' pass through extension cords (no surge suppressors on the ship)

We leave all of the USB chargers at home and bring the compact Anker Power Port 10. With 10 ports and 60 watts output we can charge all of the devices we need to at one time.

Do you like the Bose SoundLink speaker? I've been thinking about getting that to take on a cruise & hook it up (Bluetooth) to my iPad so I can listen to my tunes while reading out on deck during sea days.

Edited by Treven

Phone (for camera, communication, and email, etc) and Kindle. Phone is waterproof, so I don't worry about it in rain or by pool, etc. And Kindle stays in a clear ziploc bag when around the pool, just in case it gets splashed on or some inconsiderate person dumps their drink on it or it rains, etc. Depending on length of total trip, we may also bring laptop/tablet, but not for use on the ship....

Just a note about having a electronic reading device. I know people bring them but I wonder about those that bring them to the pool deck and leave them on the deck around all the water. Even if their chair is back from the pool edge, drinks get spilled and furniture moved around.

A paper back book, on the other hand, has never been disturbed in my 40+ years of cruising (and survives the pool deck better than electronic devices).

I've been taking my Kindle travelling for over 5 years now, including many trips where I have spent time around pools. When I leave my lounger my Kindle gets tucked out of sight in my pool bag. If I have concerns about it getting wet I put it in a ziplock bag - it can still be used when it is in the bag.

I'm a speed reader so would have to take half a suitcase of books with me if I didn't have my Kindle. And, yes, I do take a spare Kindle when travelling, just in case.

I also take my phone - it's my back-up camera, and also has some games on it that I enjoy that can be played without a data connection. I download relevant OsmAnd maps for regions where we might want to wander around ports by ourselves. Once downloaded OsmAnd can be used without a data connection. And it's useful on Princess for connection to Messenger@Sea.

I bring a dumb phone, my digital camera, and paperback books.

If I need to check e-mails, FB, or get my airline boarding pass, I use the ship's computers.

I don't want to take a chance on my laptop getting stolen, broken, or lost.

We live in the country, so we have no cell service at our house, and the tv and internet are satellite connections, that are just slightly faster the ones on the ship. :eek:

Some people really like their devices, and there's nothing wrong with that. I have limited technology at home, so I really don't miss it on the ship.

- iPad loaded with videos, books and magazines, maps

- iPhone which serves as my primary camera loaded with maps and audio tours

- waterproof camera

- wireless headphones

- wired ear buds (especially for the plane but I use them other times too)

- fitness tracker

- Sonicare toothbrush

- portable Waterpik

- charging cords for all the above

Unplugging has never and will never be a personal goal! It's a cruise ship, not a prison. :p

I bring my Kindle, Phone and Laptop (ONLY If I need to work). There are a few vacations a year that I prefer to leave the laptop at home to completely disconnect.

I take photos with my cell phone, however, in Alaska, you might do well with a real camera. I read A LOT. So I bring my phone to also use as a hot spot in case I need to download more books.

2 - iPhones

2 - iPads

1 - Kindle

Where's the like button around here?? [emoji106]

iPhone - primary camera (I love that it not only takes great photos but geotags them as well), use it to access the Patter, communicate with DW when we have conflicting schedules on board.

iPad- use it to edit photos and make my live from posts. I find it easier to type longer things on an iPad vs iPhone.

Kindle- love reading on board, I use it vs the iPad as I really won't lose much sleep over it being lost stolen or destroyed, they are relatively cheap to replace plus I like reading on the e-ink display.

DSLR- only on serious port itineraries, i.e. Not the Caribbean (to date only Alaska, would take it to Europe when we go) it's just soooo space intensive not only in luggage but while on excursion as well. Plus I like my photos geotagged, I'm not willing to pay $250 for the add on and iPhone app options have been hit and miss for me.

USB multiport charger to keep everything charged.

Motion X GPS-HD

it's easy to download maps. Just highlight the area and set how detailed you want the map to be.

I also use it on the airplane to idenifity the cities that we're flying over, speed, altitude, and distance to destination.

Let me know if you need help.

Thank you will check it out.

Cell phone. I Turn it off when I get on board. It's good to have just in case.

I brought an Ipod touch. It has my music and a web browser so I could use the Princess @ Sea.

iPads and tablets are ok, but unless you pay for internet access, you won't get much use out of them.

You want to unplug, right? Enjoy your vacation and tell others about it when you get back!

My husband and I leave in just one week ( so excited) and I am trying to decide what electronic I actually want to bring. We are flying into Seattle next Friday and leave Sat on the Crown for Alaska.

Like most today I am very "connected" in my daily life and I look forward to being unplugged. Having said that I know there are some things I must bring for example my phone, my camera and my iPad (for reading books).

The truth is as much as I like the idea of being "unplugged" for a week i don't think that's realistic.

I am interested in your experiences. What electronics have you brought but wished you didn't and what didn't you bring that you wished you did? I am tempted to bring my laptop to download photos but I am hesitant to bring it. Do you bring your phone on Alaska excursions? What about the rain?

Please share what has worked, or not worked, for you and your family

Great idea , un plug.

Depends on how long the cruise is and what obligations I have while I'm away.

Phone (in the safe unless in port)

Tablet or notebook (with hard drive to back up photos)

Cameras

iPod, to listen to music.

Do you like the Bose SoundLink speaker? I've been thinking about getting that to take on a cruise & hook it up (Bluetooth) to my iPad so I can listen to my tunes while reading out on deck during sea days.
I feel we get very good sound from the SoundLink and is is quite compact. However, we only use it in the cabin. On the balcony we will use the wireless Kinivo's or the wired QC20i's. We don't believe we should play music on the balcony. The only exception might be playing Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli singing "Con te partiro" as we sail away from Venice some year.

We use Princess@Sea on our iPhones and iPads. Plan out the day's activities on the iPad and send invites to Each other. We then have our iPhones with us during the day to check our schedule and occasionally use Princess Messenger. No more packing a yellow marker and a folded Patter in my pocket. We leave roaming off and have our iPhones in airplane mode.

Edited by IECalCruiser

I have enjoyed everyone's ideas, thank you. I especially like the idea of the iPod for music etc. I think I will put my phone in the safe and use the iPod for music etc. I also loved the app suggestions. Thanks.

I feel we get very good sound from the SoundLink and is is quite compact. However, we only use it in the cabin. On the balcony we will use the wireless Kinivo's or the wired QC20i's. We don't believe we should play music on the balcony. The only exception might be playing Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli singing "Con te partiro" as we sail away from Venice some year.

I probably have half doz or so albums of Andrea Bocelli and a few albums of Il Volo; in addition to 30 or so albums by other assorted artists. Among my favorites are the Willie Nelson singing the Gershwin songbooks albums.

Yes, that duet is something else. I think any/every Princess ship should play that over the ship's PA system while preparing to depart any of the Italian ports; or departing San Francisco for that matter.

Edited by Treven

I have enjoyed everyone's ideas, thank you. I especially like the idea of the iPod for music etc. I think I will put my phone in the safe and use the iPod for music etc. I also loved the app suggestions. Thanks.

My kindle has music for play lists

I no longer see carnival from my condo front porch :(

The wife and I each bring our iPads and phones. After the last med cruise we have decided to leave our Apple watches home this next time. Because we usually leave the phones off, unless in port, the watches always confused what time it really was.

We alway bring out fit bits as well. Got to keep track of those stairs.