Recent cutbacks

caribill

I noticed the following cutbacks on a recent cruise on the CB.

o In the dining room, there was only one set of salt and pepper shakers on tables for eight. There used to be two sets.

o At the Culinary Demonstration in the Princess Theater there were no handouts of recipes as in the past.

o At the Platinum/Elite past passenger party in Club Fusion there were no canapes handed out to eat. Was told they were eliminated because too many were not being eaten.

There have been "cut backs" on ALL the cruise lines. Cruising is not what it used to be! Either do some other vacation or get used to it...it's on a decline....one day, it might come back..but don't count on it!

o In the dining room, there was only one set of salt and pepper shakers on tables for eight. There used to be two sets.

o At the Culinary Demonstration in the Princess Theater there were no handouts of recipes as in the past.

o At the Platinum/Elite past passenger party in Club Fusion there were no canapes handed out to eat. Was told they were eliminated because too many were not being eaten.

Seriously??[emoji33]

o At the Culinary Demonstration in the Princess Theater there were no handouts of recipes as in the past.This has happened a couple of times on & off. Maybe depends on the CD?

o At the Platinum/Elite past passenger party in Club Fusion there were no canapes handed out to eat. Was told they were eliminated because too many were not being eaten.We never go anyway.

Over the last 3 years. Sometimes they're there, sometimes they aren't.

We were on the CB in April, and while there were no canapés at the CC party there were more servers with trays of drinks than our last Princess cruise. Easy to get second or third drink.

Thank you for posting about your experiences. We all have features of cruising that are critical to our enjoyment, and there are likely no four of us looking for the same thing. (For me, it's washcloths and twice daily cleaning).

BTW, we noticed the same thing about the Captains Circle party hors doerves (or lack of) on the Emerald last winter.

We've had canapes on all the Princess ships we've cruised on at the Elite/Platinum party - 4/16. We didn't particularly care for the canapes except for one of them. We liked the cheese filled pastry. It was flaky and buttery. Eliminating them is not a deal breaker for me, just give me the booze. Don't really care about getting recipes, and reducing the number of S&P shakers on a table is not a deal breaker for me either. When they start cutting into my internet minutes, free laundry, no happy hour then I'll get concerned and may look elsewhere.

Edited by elliair

Given that I am booked in an ocean view cabin to Alaska this summer at approximately the same price I payed 13 years ago for a similar trip, I can live with a few cutbacks. It is my choice how many extras I want to pay for.

Leftover canapes at the Captains Circle party? My experience has always been that if you weren't in the front half of the line they were all gone by the time you were seated. Though on Emerald in April I did notice more bar waiters serving the drinks than previously as reported above.

As for the salt and pepper shakers, maybe half of them are refusing to come out of the galley each night in solidarity with the butter dishes :rolleyes:

Edited by fishywood

Just got off the Coral in Alaska. There were canapés served at the past passenger reception. Although all the Alaska cruises have a large number of first time Princess cruisers who weren't invited, so less canapés to supply. They weren't that good.

FYI

1) There is a serious worldwide shortage of salt mine workers. Wall Street is calling salt the "New Gold" Thus the hoarding of salt and lack of shakers

2) A certain cruise line is being sued for recipe card copyright infringement. Something to do with cane vs beet sugar.

3) The staff is confused about the difference between Canape', hor duervers, and Crudite's. After this has been hashed out, I'm sure the little food snacks will return.

You are worried about a salt shaker, please!!!!!!!

Over the years the only cut backs that have really jarred my preserves is the closing of the MDR for lunch on port days and the printing of my own luggage tags....other than that nothing particularly troubles me.

We never have attended a CC reception, really have no interest in watered drinks and limp canopies. so changes there have no impact on our enjoyment. I will say that we were surprised to be invited to the "most cruised" luncheon earlier this month and it was terrific from beginning to end.

One much heralded cutback that doesn't seem to have occurred is removal of bread and butter from the tables at dinner. At least on the May 26th cruise of the Regal there was lots of buns and butter on the tables in the MDR.

One much heralded cutback that doesn't seem to have occurred is removal of bread and butter from the tables at dinner. At least on the May 26th cruise of the Regal there was lots of buns and butter on the tables in the MDR.

Plenty of bread and butter on the CB also.

Given that I am booked in an ocean view cabin to Alaska this summer at approximately the same price I payed 13 years ago for a similar trip, I can live with a few cutbacks. It is my choice how many extras I want to pay for.

I agree :)

FYI

1) There is a serious worldwide shortage of salt mine workers. Wall Street is calling salt the "New Gold" Thus the hoarding of salt and lack of shakers

2) A certain cruise line is being sued for recipe card copyright infringement. Something to do with cane vs beet sugar.

3) The staff is confused about the difference between Canape', hor duervers, and Crudite's. After this has been hashed out, I'm sure the little food snacks will return.

hilarious

Leftover canapes at the Captains Circle party? My experience has always been that if you weren't in the front half of the line they were all gone by the time you were seated. Though on Emerald in April I did notice more bar waiters serving the drinks than previously as reported above.

As for the salt and pepper shakers, maybe half of them are refusing to come out of the galley each night in solidarity with the butter dishes :rolleyes:

so we have a salt strike on our hands! :D

We have spent a week on the regal and two weeks on the caribbean so far this year and have not found anything different. The elite/platinum party was great - I managed to score three drinks (don't care for the canapes) and all the salt shakers were still not on strike as yet.